• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Rumors , APU code named 'Liverpool' Radeon HD 7970 GPU Steamroller CPU 16GB Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOddOne

Seeing as this is the most active next generation topic, I'll post this here.

Rumor: Next generation Xbox dev kit pictures leaked.
1341384965.jpg

1341384985.jpg

1341385002.jpg

1341385020.jpg

1341385040.jpg

TheOddOne

So what is he trying to show us on those pics?
Google translate article:
Last night GameSpot reliable source from a number of pictures from what is reportedly a Devkit for the new Xbox. The creator of the picture wanted Devkit a forum for selling $ 10,000, which also devkits the current generation of consoles sold. According to our tipster, the seller is therefore not unknown. Besides the fact that he sometimes devkits current generation of consoles sold, the relevant vendor also an initiate in the game world.

So did our source reported that in February all the relevant vendor hand had managed to lay on you Wii specifications. It showed that the game would be about as powerful as the current generation and that there was a possibility for the Wii Fit Balance Board on use. Something at E3 this year clearly emerged.

In other words, the source from which it originated, is seen to be very reliable. And the fact that he has been seizure has managed to impose on such Devkit would mean that the new Xbox is a lot closer than we have hitherto imagined. The images of the Devkit, with the working name of Durango clearly evident, below.

Why would they be putting in a better GPU and more memory?
Because they have to to support low power modes and HDMI pass-thru. Extra memory is a result of needing to support the emulation memory overhead. Standard memory sizes would be 512 and the next bump up would be 1 gig-emulation overhead.

Surely games couldnt take advantage of this, as then the games wouldnt run on the current version of the PS3. The extra power and resources would be just for the camera?
The XMB and OS can take advantage of extra memory and processor. Games would have to be run under a 100% emulation but OS calls are to reserved by Sony memory and that can change without impacting the game. Cross game chat for example would be possible between Vita and PS3.5 and PS4 but not to PS3.

I do think the PS4 is coming in 2014, dunno where you got 2015 from. How much would it cost to manufacture? They can't raise the price on the PS3 with this model... I'm sorry but this all seems a bit crazy. 20 million units for a PS3 revision like this would be completely ludicrous, and makes me think the digitimes rumor is BS and shouldn't be looked at this closely.
It should be cheaper as a SOC, strip out the XDR memory and replace it with wide I/O inside the SOC (cheaper), Strip out the Flex I/O from Rambus and replace it with AMD's 22nm southbridge (cheaper). 20 million is indeed crazy unless it offers something extraordinary and is cheap, this was the reason it was first dismissed. It's also possible the 20 million included Xbox 361 sales.

The big picture is 800 million new CE internet connected users from now to 2016. The Xbox 361 was planned in 2010, at least it's in the 9/2010 Microsoft powerpoint due late 2012. Most rapid internet growth if you plot it starts end of 2012, really 2013. This has been known for years and Sony and others have been planning for it. I and others have been frustrated at the apparently slow progress on PS3 internet features not knowing the target is late 2012 when a 20X internet growth starts. XTV is going to take off at the end of this year.

Google translate article:
It's funny how it translates insidegamer into gamespot.

My translation:

Quote:
Last night Insidegamer got a number of pictures from a reliable source from what is reportedly a Devkit for the new Xbox. The creator of the picture wanted to sell the Devkit on a forum for $ 10,000, a place where devkits of current generation consoles are being sold as well. According to our tipster, the seller is not an unknown. Besides the fact that he sometimes sells devkits of current generation of consoles, the vendor is also an initiate in the game world.

In the past (februari), the same source reported he got his hands on the Wii specifications. It showed that the console would be about as powerful as the current generation and that there was the possibility for Wii Fit Balance Board compatibility. Something that clearly emerged at E3 this year.

In other words, the source from which it originated, is considered to be very reliable. And the fact that he has already taken seizure on such Devkit would mean that the new Xbox is a lot closer than we have hitherto imagined. The images of the Devkit, with the working name of Durango clearly evident, below.

onQ123

But why would that fool be trying to sell it knowing that would bring all the attention in the world to him right now?

Majanew

Banned
One correction, it's the Next Xbox not next generation Xbox. I'm not saying that it's not a Xbox 720 but it could be a Xbox 361. The author uses Next Xbox not next generation Xbox, this is where confusion can start.

Yeah, no. It says Durango -- that's the next-gen Xbox. If legit photos, that is.

I don't understand what the person who took those pictures was trying to accomplish. The screen doesn't tell us anything we don't know and they hid the case, too.

Who says Durango is next gen Xbox? What is the Yukon in the Xbox 720 powerpoint? Then what is Oban?

Durango developers summit says it's the next gen Xbox, unless you think developers such as Crytek need to learn how to work with Xbox 360. Yukon is an old codename, perhaps of a proposed project that never got the green light. Oban is a rumored processor, you know that very well.

Durango developers summit says it's the next gen Xbox, unless you think developers such as Crytek need to learn how to work with Xbox 360. Yukon is an old codename, perhaps of a proposed project that never got the green light. Oban is a rumored processor, you know that very well.
There is a tweet http://www.gamespot.com/news/crytek-dev-confirms-durango-code-name-of-next-xbox-6351818

Rumors that the next Xbox is codenamed Durango were apparently on the money, and the system is far enough along to be the subject of a developers' summit, according to a Twitter post from a Crytek developer today.

As spotted by a member of message board NeoGAF, a technical artist at the German studio behind Crysis said on Twitter, "Enjoying the Durango developers summit in London. So far, great swag and interesting talks." The post was pulled and the corresponding account deleted within hours.

The "Durango" code name first surfaced in rumors related to the Next Xbox system earlier this month.
It's still a rumor and we don't know if Durango is Xbox 361 or Xbox 720.

It could be as you say but you are doing as you accuse me of doing, reading too much into rumors. And if Xbox 361, it is going to have features that would need a briefing.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
DaE@Assembler, huh? Assembler as in the notorious video game collecting consortium? If so, the images may very well represent an actual development kit. Though I find it strange for the person to advertise the kit, even if the mentioned forum is private.

call me nuts but i think that dev kit is real.

or maybe i'm just desperate for any sense of next gen lol.

quick, what can we glean from the box...it's big, big=powerful right? (lulz)

if only he could hit enter and we could view those sexy mind blowing next gen graphics...

Rösti;39501312 said:
DaE@Assembler, huh? Assembler as in the notorious video game collecting consortium? If so, the images may very well represent an actual development kit. Though I find it strange for the person to advertise the kit, even if the mentioned forum is private.

Never heard of it. Any more info?

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Never heard of it. Any more info?
There was a huge article some years ago in the now cancelled Swedish video game magazine Super Play. The group had access to development kits for a bunch of unreleased systems etc. I searched my collection of the magazines to find the article, but I didn't find it. I'll go through it again to see if I can get something to share.

Edit: No luck, and I went through all magazines I have (I think). It's there somewhere though. To make a long story short though, what was reported was that this group were in possession of a lot of things not meant for them.

Defensive domain registrations are completely normal. They usually end up acquiring plenty of domains directly or indirectly related to the brand. Also if they go the arbitration route, they will win easily.

Of course but as far as I know they don't own (yet) xbox720, 4,5,6,7, etc. and had to go to court for xbox8. Why do that know if you don't need it at all. From xbox360 to xbox8 is a rather big step not just some "lets get all domains with xbox+number" attitude.

Just reloaded the linkedin page of Atilla Vass from yesterday, on his projects it now reads

Next Generation PlayStation ( best console ever to be made )

I think calling it Xbox 8 just to tie in the brand is dumb. It's just stupid and confusing to go Xbox -> 360 -> 8. Maybe Xbox Infinity or Loop

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It seems to me that both 360 and PS3 absolutely need to be dropped down into a lower price band in order to make room for their successors. This is likely to occur before the launch of Durango/Orbis because this isn't simply a case of iPad2 replacing iPad1, these new machines that need to be significantly differentiated from their predecessors (and WiiU).

As doing both things -reposition current offerings while evangelizing new product- simultaneously is likely to be inefficient and counterproductive - this leading to my suspicion that there'll be at least a 6 month window separating these two events.

Not sure about 360 (they very probably have more headroom costwise than Sony on current inventory), but I'm pretty confident that Sony will offer a second form-factor shrink in order to attain this.

I'm pretty skeptical about them changing the internals too much to achieve this, but a new chassis and simplified board/component setup seem very probable.

z0m3le

Banned
When did they say that? The only recent timeframe quote that I can think of is when they said that they've never launched first. But I thought that was just in reference to the fact that the Wii U will be first on the market.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/ps4-due-before-next-xbox-report-6369350
April:
"Sony is "confident" that it will release the console ahead of Microsoft's next Xbox."

That isn't the picture that Jack Trenton drew for us at E3, it was more like they aren't ready to launch the PS4 and will wait until they are.
http://www.wikinvest.com/stock/Sony_(SNE)/Data/Total_Short_Term_Debt 14.2Billion owed this year.

EDIT: This might not be the place to post something like this, so I'm sorry if this is a bit controversial, but who knows what will happen, at least Sony might be making important steps to survive, remember these target specs are over a year old, and the company was worth nearly 80Billion in 2010.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/ps4-due-before-next-xbox-report-6369350
April:
"Sony is "confident" that it will release the console ahead of Microsoft's next Xbox."

That isn't the picture that Jack Trenton drew for us at E3, it was more like they aren't ready to launch the PS4 and will wait until they are. Considering they owe 2/3rds of their company's worth within the next 12 months, I think a launch of a new console might be unrealistic atm, and a soft launch through their new Gaikai service would allow them to push off a hardware launch for another year or two while they get their house in order.

http://www.wikinvest.com/stock/Sony_(SNE)/Data/Total_Short_Term_Debt 14.2Billion owed this year from a company worth ~20Billion(including assets)

EDIT: This might not be the place to post something like this, so I'm sorry if this is a bit controversial, but who knows what will happen, at least Sony might be making important steps to survive, remember these target specs are over a year old, and the company was worth nearly 80Billion in 2010.

Just because sony owes money doesn't mean they can't spend. There are plenty companies that have debt, you don't have to pay them completely off at one time. IDK what you mean by "within the year". Sony still has plenty of money to spend, they can launch a console whenever they get ready.

z0m3le

Banned
Just because sony owes money doesn't mean they can't spend. There are plenty companies that have debt, you don't have to pay them completely off at one time. IDK what you mean by "within the year". Sony still has plenty of money to spend, they can launch a console whenever they get ready.

DICTIONARY

Short-Term Debt is a line on a company's Balance sheet under Current Liabilities which includes all debt that the company has that is due within a year. This tends to include short-term Bank loans.

That 14.2Billion isn't Sony's entire debt, they owe billions more in LONG term loans as well, that is just money going out the door before this time next year.

Gemüsepizza;39502451 said:
Sony -> Total assets: 166,5 billion US dollar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony

Playstation is one of their most important products. They will make sure it will keep up with Xbox.

Thanks for that, I deleted the part of my post that was inaccurate. That does make me worry less about Sony actually.

DICTIONARY

Short-Term Debt is a line on a company's Balance sheet under Current Liabilities which includes all debt that the company has that is due within a year. This tends to include short-term Bank loans.

That 14.2Billion isn't Sony's entire debt, they owe billions more in LONG term loans as well, that is just money going out the door before this time next year.

They are not gonna pay 14.2 billion dollars worth of debt in the next 12 months. As I said, they don't have to completely pay off debts right away. That money isn't goin out the door.

z0m3le

Banned
They are not gonna pay 14.2 billion dollars worth of debt in the next 12 months. As I said, they don't have to completely pay off debts right away. That money isn't goin out the door.

I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion, the person who posted above me is right, they are worth a lot more than 20Billion, I read an in depth article that had put Sony's value at 21-24billion back in march, but it was obviously not counting the 166billion of assets.

Sony will be paying 14.2billion on short term loans, that is why they are short term loans and not this: http://ycharts.com/companies/SNE/long_term_debt $13Billion

StevieP

Banned
Nothing since it's fake. If it was real, there's no reason he couldn't have showed off the actual dev kit box rather than just a side on photo of a generic black case.

Whether this is a real pic or not, I do not know. However I do know that the Durango dev kit is literally in a standard PC case. Because that's what it is.

call me nuts but i think that dev kit is real.

or maybe i'm just desperate for any sense of next gen lol.

quick, what can we glean from the box...it's big, big=powerful right? (lulz)

if only he could hit enter and we could view those sexy mind blowing next gen graphics...

You can see them right now, by building a $500 PC. lol
It's big because they're standard PC cases.

And to those who wish to see Sony wait until 2014 to release the PS4: why would you want Sony sentenced to death, basically? For more power? Really guys? C'mon, like I said earlier in this thread - this gen is on its way out and all 3 consoles have basically hit a plateau. Yes, a price cut will help all of them - but only temporarily.

The console maker that waits until 2014 for a product (and mind share) refresh is the console maker that will tank itself.

I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion, the person who posted above me is right, they are worth a lot more than 20Billion, I read an in depth article that had put Sony's value at 21-24billion back in march, but it was obviously not counting the 166billion of assets.

Sony will be paying 14.2billion on short term loans, that is why they are short term loans and not this: http://ycharts.com/companies/SNE/long_term_debt $13Billion

How much they are supposedly worth is irrelevant. No matter how much they paid to acquire whatever assets they can't necessarily sell those assets at that estimated price. For example, there TV business may have 50 billion worth of assets. Nobody is really going to pay that for that sector at this current state.

The figure that is around 20 billion is what sony has in the bank and cash equivalents. Basically the liquid funds they have to play with. Thats why the are not gonna spend the majority of that on debts, long or short term.

z0m3le

Banned
How much they are supposedly worth is irrelevant. No matter how much they paid to acquire whatever assets they can't necessarily sell those assets at that estimated price. For example, there TV business may have 50 billion worth of assets. Nobody is really going to pay that for that sector at this current state.

The figure that is around 20 billion is what sony has in the bank and cash equivalents. Basically the liquid funds they have to play with. Thats why the are not gonna spend the majority of that on debts, long or short term.

So you are saying that Sony will just ignore a bill, because they don't want to pay it, short term loans is money that Sony has on it's balance sheet for this year, it has to pay it, their credit rating has already taken a hit recently.

So you are saying that Sony will just ignore a bill, because they don't want to pay it, short term loans is money that Sony has on it's balance sheet for this year, it has to pay it, their credit rating has already taken a hit recently.

They wouldn't pay 14 billion dollars of debt in a year. No company would.

It seems your chart is inaccurate anyway.

Per the financial report,

Sony is in about 14 billion dollar debt total. With 1.2 being short term.

http://www.stock-analysis-on.net/NYSE/Company/Sony-Corp/Ratios/Long-term-Debt-and-Solvency

z0m3le

Banned
They wouldn't pay 14 billion dollars of debt in a year. No company would.

It seems your chart is inaccurate anyway.

Per the financial report,

Sony is in about 14 billion dollar debt total. With 1.2 being short term.

http://www.stock-analysis-on.net/NYSE/Company/Sony-Corp/Ratios/Long-term-Debt-and-Solvency
Debt to Equity isn't what Sony owes:

Definition of 'Debt/Equity Ratio'
A measure of a company's financial leverage calculated by dividing its total liabilities by stockholders' equity. It indicates what proportion of equity and debt the company is using to finance its assets.

Read more: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/d/debtequityratio.asp#ixzz1zfc1VK4d

EDIT: I think we should stop derailing this thread.

Debt to Equity isn't what Sony owes:

Definition of 'Debt/Equity Ratio'
A measure of a company's financial leverage calculated by dividing its total liabilities by stockholders' equity. It indicates what proportion of equity and debt the company is using to finance its assets.

Read more: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/d/debtequityratio.asp#ixzz1zfc1VK4d

EDIT: I think we should stop derailing this thread.

It's kind of on the subject. I mean what they can spend has bearing on what tech they can put in.

Anyway, I never mentioned debt to equity. You don't have to keep posting definitions, I know what these terms mean. If you scroll down you will Sonys debt broken down in long and short term. The 14.2 number is you got from whatever wiki site is actually the total debt. The short term is 1 billion or so...

z0m3le

Banned
It's kind of on the subject. I mean what they can spend has bearing on what tech they can put in.

Anyway, I never mentioned debt to equity. You don't have to keep posting definitions, I know what these terms mean. If you scroll down you will Sonys debt broken down in long and short term. The 14.2 number is you got from whatever wiki site is actually the total debt. The short term is 1 billion or so...

Yeah, that does make sense if I add Long term debt to short term debt I get that total debt. I had to go look for more sources, and while I didn't find more short term debt, the long term debt was constant at 13.08 Billion, which adding the short term debt from that site does give the 14.2 seen on that Wiki page. Sorry about that, market data should be far easier to come by IMO.

onQ123

Whether this is a real pic or not, I do not know. However I do know that the Durango dev kit is literally in a standard PC case. Because that's what it is.

You can see them right now, by building a $500 PC. lol
It's big because they're standard PC cases.

And to those who wish to see Sony wait until 2014 to release the PS4: why would you want Sony sentenced to death, basically? For more power? Really guys? C'mon, like I said earlier in this thread - this gen is on its way out and all 3 consoles have basically hit a plateau. Yes, a price cut will help all of them - but only temporarily.

The console maker that waits until 2014 for a product (and mind share) refresh is the console maker that will tank itself.

no you can't because the games being made for the PC right now are just PS3\Xbox 360 games with higher settings.

z0m3le

Banned
no you can't because the games being made for the PC right now are just PS3\Xbox 360 games with higher settings.

I won't say you are wrong persay, but... that is exactly what we will get with these next gen consoles. Higher settings, I am guessing you are talking about the extra lighting and tessellation we get from PCs as well, because that is the biggest difference from DX9 to DX11.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom