• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's Press Site: Wii U Assets Galore!

Yeah, some people need to pay more attention. On the internet...

Also, oh my god, I just now discovered the meaning behind your user name and avatar, after noticing your posts from well into my lurker days. I feel so stupid now :(

Haha you'd be surprised how many people don't get the connection.

Shion

Shin'en's game is a glossy shader heavy shooter with a few levels. Pikim is a retail game with a large world. Like all Shin'en games, it's basically a "look what we can do" tech demo. Note that I'm not implying this as a negative point about Shin'en.
Sure.
Also, Nintendo, unlike Shin'en, is not a 5 person company with limited recourses.

Presentation-wise, they could do a hell of a better job in both Pikmin and NSMBU. And, honestly, I don't see why I shouldn't criticize what I feel is lazy job from a rich multinational company.

treason

This thread needs more screenshots.
i agree

Batman Armored Edition
7988622737_bec18b85a2_o.jpg

7988629752_dbf58b6988_o.jpg

7988625211_b7a2012ea8_o.jpg

Transformers prime

Ridley327

Shin'en's game is a glossy shader heavy shooter with a few levels. Pikim is a retail game with a large world. Like all Shin'en games, it's basically a "look what we can do" tech demo. Note that I'm not implying this as a negative point about Shin'en.

Besides that point, the "it started on Wii" shit goes the other way. Pikmen 3doesn't look like an upscaled Wii game. That's raw trolling. There's no need to qualify or defend how the game looks. It uses a lot of effects and runs at 60fps. It has very attractive design and art direction. It looks rich. Pixel counters turn around and march off to buy a new video card for their PC, this nonsense is not needed here.

The "Nintendo is lazy when it comes to internal productions" is old, trite, and tired. Whether anyone likes it or not, this is what Nintendo does: apply an appropriate amount of production value to make a game look nice. Whether that's a little or a lot. They do not play the game of "let us sell games based on graphics and impressing a thin slice of geeks by advertising our game has the most expensive audio-visual production to date in gaming."

When a game can use heavy investment in visuals, they readily go there. But the truth is, if you're a pixel counter and all that matters to you is feeling reassured that every game you lay eyes on pushes technology to be bleeding edge without regard for the return on it, Nintendo is going to confound and frustrate you with their sensible and reasonable approach to game development that allows them to enjoy remaining profitable on the software they release.

I wish people would stop with the "Pikmin 3 is running at 60 fps" misquote from E3; I've played the game, and it is absolutely not running at 60 fps. It does look substantially nicer in motion, but it's not at that level by a long shot.

Ydahs

I wish people would stop with the "Pikmin 3 is running at 60 fps" misquote from E3; I've played the game, and it is absolutely not running at 60 fps. It does look substantially nicer in motion, but it's not at that level by a long shot.

I wonder how old that E3 build was? If we estimate that the build was from May and that the game will be out around February or March, that'll mean that there's probably a six or seven month gap for the visuals to improve. Will be interesting to see what becomes of it once it's finished development.

Though I don't mind the visuals as they are anyway.

bryanee

Man Transformers looks bad but I guess its just a Wii port.

Anyone know if you can use the regualr Batman costumes in AC, not really a fan of the amoured ones.

I can't stand the "it started as a Wii game" argument either, especially when a 5 person team with no recourses (Shin'en), managed to make an eShop game that looks a lot better than Pikmin.

Nano Assault's graphics and world are easier to create than Pikmin's. Every part of Pikmin's world is most likely crafted by hand, but Nano Assault's world is very likely at least partially procedurally generated, includes a lot of simple shape primitives like spheres and ellipses, and likely has fewer and much simpler 3D objects (i.e. enemies and players).

Rayis

I think Nintendo is just inexperienced with HD graphics, they have been working with gamecube-level graphics for 10 years so now that they've upgraded significantly, they're probably like "what the fuck am I doing?", I'm sure once they get the hang of the hardware they will produce some fantastic-looking games

FyreWulff

I think Nintendo is just inexperienced with HD graphics, they have been working with gamecube-level graphics for 10 years so now that they've upgraded significantly, they're probably like "what the fuck am I doing?", I'm sure once they get the hang of the hardware they will produce some fantastic-looking games

This makes about as much sense as saying they couldn't make 3D games for the N64 because they were unfamiliar with 3D. It's just a result of a Wii project being bumped up to the next console.

Nintendo has and always will push their hardware with original games made for a system. Look at Twilight Princess versus Galaxy or Skyward Sword.

Rich!

Must resist urge to joke about British dental hygiene...

Hey, I have good enough teeth that when my dentist sees me twice a year, she explicitly comments on them being so awesome.

...but the majority of smokers I serve at work have decaying, disgusting rotten teeth. So you may be right .

Juice

Right. People are forgetting about Wall Guy. 2006 was awkward for devs in HD Land at first.

Prime is by NOWPRO and it is a Wii port, but the game looks nicely improved over it, kinda like how 360 ports of pre-gen games looked at launch.

Love the show! Really excited to see how it turns out, NOWPRO also did the Bakugan games, the Little League games, etc.

But they're most known for the Mario baseball games, and a number of Sonic collaborations, the most of which they did the most work on, was the original Sonic Riders (O-TWO took over at ZG), they also helped with SADX (Mission Mode) and Secret Rings (Party Mode).

And they apparently helped with the Katamari games as well as The Munchables.

So to me the team is no shovelware team.

How Nintendo, one of the biggest gaming company in the world, could possibly have difficulty to handle HD? Are you serious?!? OMG Wii-U threads are so awesome (in some ways).

Medalion

Banned
Inexperience is a possibility, but more like they are just following their philosophy to not look like hypocrites... just cuz they have all this extra power doesn't mean they are gonna and try to compete graphically at this stage

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
When people say Pikmin 3 looks "bad" I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. I don't know. It's like I don't give enough shits about graphics to keep up with the cool kids these days.

I look at those screenshots I see an attractive, alluring, conceptually strong game. Isn't that enough?

Neiteio

I think I got Trine 2 for, like, $3 on the last Steam sale?

On another note, I wish Nintendo would release clear, non-blurry shots of the games it's publishing (Wonderful 101, etc).

Top Bottom