• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is turning off UAC safe? I already have my firewall and MSE enabled and running, I want to turn off those annoying ass UAC alerts but I'm not sure if it's a good idea...

I never had UAC pop up for something I didn't want to do, so I started to disable it on every Windows installation. Never had a problem.

Danj

My laptop hard drive is in the process of dying (it will boot as far as the Windows login screen but then the drive just locks up and I can't do anything - verified it was a drive problem using SeaTools for DOS, which failed the short test and crashed out to a DOS prompt at 79% on the long test) but if I put it in an external dock and hook it up to my desktop PC I can still access the files on it.

Is there a way for me to save the saved games that are on there? I looked at GameSave Manager, but it seems like it's intended to be used on the machine the games are installed on? Failing that, is there just a big list somewhere of save game locations that games use so I can just look up the games I want to keep and back up the files manually?

Sarcasm

My laptop hard drive is in the process of dying (it will boot as far as the Windows login screen but then the drive just locks up and I can't do anything - verified it was a drive problem using SeaTools for DOS, which failed the short test and crashed out to a DOS prompt at 79% on the long test) but if I put it in an external dock and hook it up to my desktop PC I can still access the files on it.

Is there a way for me to save the saved games that are on there? I looked at GameSave Manager, but it seems like it's intended to be used on the machine the games are installed on? Failing that, is there just a big list somewhere of save game locations that games use so I can just look up the games I want to keep and back up the files manually?

Of you have access to another PC and USB stick you can save data. Download Ubuntu and using own USB drive you make a Linux USB stick. Plug into laptop and boor from USB. There you can copy data to external.

Berto

This probably isn't the best place to ask, but whatever. So I saw Skyfall, really enjoyed it and now I want to play a fairly realistic spy themed game, not too focused on action and shooting stuff. Any recomendations? Already played Alpha Protocol.

Milamber

Oh come on! Why do these amazing deals always come to light every time I go to bed? Missing that Darkness II Amazon deal is making me mentally kick myself.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
This probably isn't the best place to ask, but whatever. So I saw Skyfall, really enjoyed it and now I want to play a fairly realistic spy themed game, not too focused on action and shooting stuff. Any recomendations? Already played Alpha Protocol.
Deus Ex: No Subtitle.

Already played both of them. Oh and also both NOLF games, they are glorious of course.

All spy games are about shooting stuff and not, you know... spying =(
Yeah, my mind is drawing a blank as well.

There should be more games like this.

Edit: the only thing that just came to mind is 30 Flights of Loving. Its more of a 30 minute visual novel though.

Wok

Already played both of them. Oh and also both NOLF games, they are glorious of course.

All spy games are about shooting stuff and not, you know... spying =(

There is SpyParty: someone has to shoot, someone has to spy. And JazzPunk: a game à la Blendo Games' style. But you are maybe more interested in less indie games.

Alexios

Yeah, my mind is drawing a blank as well.

There should be more games like this.

Edit: the only thing that just came to mind is 30 Flights of Loving. Its more of a 30 minute visual novel though.
Commandos maybe? Or that N64 Mission Impossible game. Metal Gear Solid. Merry Gear Solid. Hitman games if you try to be stealthy. Trilby Art of Theft. Gabriel Knight for investigative stuff. Etc. Not much bond style spying at all I guess.

I hope by having played both you mean you don't even consider Invisible War exists btw.

GoldenEye reimagining is okay if you go the stealth route as well but it's really an FPS, but you played NOLF1 & 2 so...

FoxSpirit

Hitman games if you try to be stealthy.
The mere assumption that you don't go for the silent Asassin ranking is madness.
And yeah, the Hitman games are the best spy games. And all missions have a lot of solutions.

NIN90

Alpha Protocol

Really, GAF? I'm the first one to recommend AP?

Edit: Gah, I is stoopid.

vall03

Sine Mora is in the steam registry now with an early access entry (for press I think), so I'm guessing it'll be out soon.

well this is unexpected. Though theres still no news on PSN and Vita releases. Really don't mind if Steam gets the game first!

Tomodachi

So I was wondering... are there press accounts on Steam which unlocks every game on the store? I have a friend on my friends list who owns every game I've ever checked (he's a gaming journalist). He has an incredible low gaming hours clocked on Steam though... a waste if you ask me :/

Alexios

So I was wondering... are there press accounts on Steam which unlocks every game on the store? I have a friend on my friends list who owns every game I've ever checked (he's a gaming journalist). He has an incredible low gaming hours clocked on Steam though... a waste if you ask me :/
Yes, not 100% of games but pretty close. How is it a waste?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

Welcome to the games industry.

Alexios

Welcome to the games industry.
Well, it's better they get games from Steam almost automatically than via a personal relationship with the developer and publisher. Ok, Steam is the publisher as well in this case, but they aren't going to blacklist anyone for reviewing one of the countless games in their library badly. I'd be more wary of games that don't get auto-unlocked and so require some sort of correspondence with the real publisher for a reviewer to acquire, or have embargoes and what not. Which aren't that few. As for the game time, he could have a personal account for his own stuff, or use a different shared work account for, er, work.

A game journalist playing games? This might cause him some problems; he may confuse PR with their own opinions and give a wrong impression about the game.

jediyoshi

I believe it's more typically the case that reviewers just get steam redeemable codes that unlock earlier playable copies of games. Outside of that contest winner, I imagine Valve has the only accounts that literally just get free reign on the library.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I believe it's more typically the case that reviewers just get steam redeemable codes that unlock earlier playable copies of games. Outside of that contest winner, I imagine Valve has the only accounts that literally just get free reign on the library.

No stuff just gets added automatically to press accounts in most cases.

A game journalist playing games? This might cause him some problems; he may confuse PR with their own opinions and give a wrong impression about the game.

Perish the thought! He might be playing it on a PC that wasn't recommended by the publisher, thus giving us a wrong review of the game.

jediyoshi

No stuff just gets added automatically to press accounts in most cases.

Is it literally everything on Steam in that case then? Or do publishers manually white list certain groups of accounts for certain games? I love the idea that publishers would give up so much control over their PR process.

Yes, accounts that get all the games automaticly are very rare. In 99% of the cases, game publishers sent out Steam codes to journalists.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Is it literally everything on Steam in that case then? Or do publishers manually white list certain groups of accounts for certain games? I love the idea that publishers would give so much control over their PR process.
Journalist accounts are marked differently than Valve ones so I think publishers could block games if they wanted, but from what I have read they get damn near everything. Registry stuff shows up on their accounts too sometimes.

John Walker of RPS' blog said:
For instance, we get games for free. I have a Steam account that automatically has most games appear in my list. If a game isn’t in there, I contact its representative and ask for a copy.

Blizzard

Banned
With or without ammo/bolo mods, Just Cause 2 is one of the most pure fun open-world action games I know of, and it is on my eternally recommended list (along with Mirror's Edge which also goes on a sale a fair bit and is from a different genre).

Also, as far as I know the fan multiplayer mode for Just Cause 2 is still in development and may still be doing beta tests occasionally, so I'm guessing it should release eventually, and you can play it if you own the main game.

MNC

First one that quotes me with an absolutely horrible (sad (NO JURASSIC BARK!), disgusting (but SFW) or just creepy) animated gif gets DOTA 2.

sgossard

First one that quotes me with an absolutely horrible (sad (NO JURASSIC BARK!), disgusting (but SFW) or just creepy) animated gif gets DOTA 2.

pedafile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom