• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V GameInformer Discussion (11/8, 12PM EST)

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Agreed. I disliked the gritty look of GTAIV so much that I buried it somewhere in my closet once I finished it.

Thinking you and solo are gonna be a little disappointed on that front. It'll be brighter and maybe lighter ( in tone ) cause it's cali and not new york .. but it's gonna be gritty and take itself seriously like 4 .. and it's gonna be fucking huge.

Not really able to relate to the "wish it wasn't so big" crowd... like... honestly. I've never - ever - played a game and thought "Well there is just too much space/game world/things to do/places to go ect. ect."
Seems an odd bone to pick at.

Some highlights so far:

Biggest world in series history
Switch between 3 characters at nearly any time

Driving
"The cars hold to the ground a bit better. we thought they were big and boatlike in GTA IV, and we feel like it has really leaped forward because we're able to run a little more physics on them. It feels more liek a racing game. There are not a lot of high-level racing games out there at the moment, and that itch is goign to be scratched by this game in a way maybe it hasn't been in previous GTAs"
Shooting
"We feel like we've evolved it on from where we had it in any previous game a long way. And nto just in terms of how it works, but also in terms of the core mechanics of how you get to the play the game"
Melee combat
"It's better than we've had in the past. How far we can push it. We will see depending on resources we allocate to it. It's never going to be as big a deal as shooting with the way that we make the game, but we do want it feel really fun and strong."

Confirmed Vehicles:

BMX bike
Moutain bike
Road bike
dirt bikes
helicopters
planes
ATV's
Jet Skis
Cars
Trucks

"Bring your scuba equipment too, because you can even explore the fully detailed ocean floor along the Los Santos Coastline"

Side activities:
"What we'd learned on the best aspects of GTA IV and RDR was that it's better to have one really good minigame built by a really good design team than five half-assed ones that aren't that fun ... "

Different clothing for each character (customizeable)
Yoga
Triathlons
Base Jumping
Jet Skiing
Tennis
Full Golf Game

Vibrant Economy but (unfortunately) no buying of property

Dynamic missions (think like RDR "Hey, that guy stole my horse!" type missions)

You could say that about any of the repeat elements from SA to this game.

Not really. That was a weird little niche joke for people who read gaming mags or were on the internet back then. It was a wink and a nudge. You don't do that twice.

Comparing it to the overall design of the game is dumb.

Megasoum

Banned
FYI, for those who are still waiting for the Digital Sub to go through on PC... I sent a mail to support asking for a refund and the guy replied 5 min later saying it always takes at least a day but that he gave me access right away while the system is still processing it. I'm reading the mag right now.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
No romance in the game.

Houser: "We weren't sure it would work, and we're doing lots of other new stuff. We definitely would bring it back in the future but not this game. It just felt like it was going to be overly complex (with three protagonists)."

I think this is a good move.

When you are not controlling the other characters, they go about their daily business and you may be surprised to see what they are doing when you jump back to them.

God this sounds incredible.

No romance in the game.

Houser: "We weren't sure it would work, and we're doing lots of other new stuff. We definitely would bring it back in the future but not this game. It just felt like it was going to be overly complex (with three protagonists)."

Worst aspect of GTA 4 gone. Top stuff!

I have to say the scope sounds too much to believe. How do you create all this stuff? o_O

Linkhero1

Some highlights so far:

Biggest world in series history
Switch between 3 characters at nearly any time

Driving
Shooting
Melee combat

Confirmed Vehicles:

BMX bike
Moutain bike
Road bike
dirt bikes
helicopters
planes
ATV's
Jet Skis
Cars
Trucks
This means more than one kind of plane, right? RIGHT?

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
When you are not controlling the other characters, they go about their daily business and you may be surprised to see what they are doing when you jump back to them.

Just pop back into big daddy crime boss and see aboo-oOOOUUUGGGOD IN HEAVEN IS THAT A CHAINSAW??!!!

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Wait i just read somewhere "No properties. No customisation."

Awww man.

No romance in the game.

No romance... What about bangin'?

Raptomex

No romance in the game.

Awesome. IVs was better than SA but I wish it was gone altogether.

Prezhulio

does it give any reasons WHY you would switch characters at any time? do they play different? is it purely to get different quests?

TheNatural

My Member!

Wow thats pretty crazy. Although I wonder if you want to put guys in certain areas are they going to wonder off? Are they AI controller and you can interact with them? A lot of potential there with different things,

I remember R* were saying you could hide in dumpsters to lose cops in GTA 4. Never happened.

Hope it's in this one!

Makes me wonder if all of this will make it in to the game...

Trigger

All these details are amazing.

ibmEaHsRxEmoyI.gif

I missed Ammu-Nation so much.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Tons of stuff to buy other than housing. Houser addresses the valid criticism of GTA IV's inability to do much with $$ at the end of the game. Vibrant and fun economy - not property, but other things.

Streamlining the phone. Dynamic missions a la RDR. Missions that intertwine with all three characters. Cutting out the celebrity VO talent. New rendering, light and shader advances in the RAGE engine that blow away GTA IV.

iCfrl.gif

Top Bottom