• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ME3, NG3:RE, Batman, EM2, WO3, BLOPS2, Darksiders 2 have technical issues on Wii U

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Not saying you're wrong, but I don't understand how you could tell from a single screenshot where the only lightsource is the sun and the time of day is fixed. There's nothing about that scene that demonstrates dynamic lighting or shadows.
Look at the shadows coming in from the sky light. They are baked on WiiU (in this instance). It's clear as day.

That said, if this is just a splitscreen instance, that would explain it as the other video does have shadows.

There's no time of day in play here either, it should be noted. The difference in color simply stems from the capture quality not the game itself.

Maxrunner

Look at the shadows coming in from the sky light. They are baked on WiiU (in this instance). It's clear as day.

That said, if this is just a splitscreen instance, that would explain it as the other video does have shadows.

There's no time of day in play here either, it should be noted. The difference in color simply stems from the capture quality not the game itself.

Have you seen the other videos???no split screen stuff...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Not saying you're wrong, but I don't understand how you could tell from a single screenshot where the only lightsource is the sun and the time of day is fixed. There's nothing about that scene that demonstrates dynamic lighting or shadows.

Spend enough time with the Call of Duty series and you grow to recognise the dynamic shadows the engine casts. In the scene dark10x posted the 360 version is casting dynamic shadows across the room through the ceiling, whereas in the Wii U version has slightly baked shadows with an absence of real dynamic shadows. You can pretty easily spot them missing.

That being said, as I noted above, it's a product of the game running in split screen (one person on the TV, the other on the GamePad), which is what the person was playing when they recorded that footage. Not unusual for graphical content to be reduced/cut to keep performance high.

In solo mode all dynamic shadows, environment and character, are present, as evident by the other videos.

sinnergy

Spend enough time with the Call of Duty series and you grow to recognise the dynamic shadows the engine casts. In the scene dark10x posted the 360 version is casting dynamic shadows across the room through the ceiling, whereas in the Wii U version has slightly baked shadows with an absence of real dynamic shadows. You can pretty easily spot them missing.

That being said, as I noted above, it's a product of the game running in split screen (one person on the TV, the other on the GamePad), which is what the person was playing when they recorded that footage. Not unusual for graphical content to be reduced/cut to keep performance high.

In solo mode all dynamic shadows, environment and character, are present, as evident by the other videos.

This would mean the devs had to make extra set of textures, they would load something as a png over the textures with the shadows and AO, why would they even bother? Right? Or does this happen often?

Eideka

Banned
k6Nro.jpg%3Cbr

So that's that, many assume the Wii U would get superior ports because of its hardware and so far it's not the case with any games.
Black Ops 2, Mass Effect 3, Batman AC are more or less on par with the PS360 versions.

Yes, they are cheap ports but even then we should see an increase in graphical fidelity by virtue of running on more powerful hardware.

:/

This would mean the devs had to make extra set of textures, they would load something as a png over the textures with the shadows and AO, why would they even bother? Right? Or does this happen often?

Not sure how it works, but this is just going to be ported from other systems split screen.
Just now you get one full screen.

Ein Bear

k6Nro.jpg%3Cbr

So that's that, many assume the Wii U would get superior ports because of its hardware and so far it's not the case with any games.
Black Ops 2, Mass Effect 3, Batman AC are more or less on par with the PS360 versions.

Yes, they are cheap ports but even then we should see an increase in graphical fidelity by virtue of running on more powerful hardware.

Oh well, the tech side might be disappointing, but at least the game and the content are all new.

k6Nro.jpg%3Cbr

Some of them are evidently poorer. That image is a great example of different strengths/weaknesses of hardware.

BLOPS2 is right on par, but again we'll need to see more to know if its matching the 360 or if there are plus points or negatives. ME3 has technical issues and frankly I've no idea why EA are bothering with it, everything is wrong about that game.

Wouldn't say no to a ME trilogy later on in the life cycle, but ME3 is a mess from conception to the final product.

Batman AC isn't sounding nearly as bad as early impressions but the gamepad is used to draw away from the games quality - which should have been dealt with; but their going for gimmicky, and it is a port of an old game so I can forgive them for that.

ACIII am interested in from a tech point. The game itself would only interest me if the combat was you know...good.

k6Nro.jpg%3Cbr

People like yourself keep saying that (and part of me wants to agree) but what gives you the authority to claim it? I need to see some ID.

deleted

k6Nro.jpg%3Cbr

I give you ME3 and Batman, but BO2 seems solid so far. Two player full-screen-splitscreen, full online multiplayer, a whole-range of input-alternatives, off-screen play.

Do we have any confirmation, if you can play the splitscreen mode online? If you can, could you "log in" a second player on the Wii U, 360 style?

EDarkness

k6Nro.jpg%3Cbr

Hasn't it be stated that the Xbox 360 version of that scene is a pre-rendered video? The Wii U version may be realtime, which would make a difference.

Ydahs

k6Nro.jpg%3Cbr

A couple of pages someone mentioned those scenes are not real time.

About the bolded, just because a game is running on more powerful hardware, it doesn't mean it's going to appear better all of a sudden. Engines have to be adapted based on the architecture of the target hardware and developers have to actually take time to implement the improvements. As you mentioned, it is a cheap port, so all the budget was probably dedicated to getting the game running on the new hardware and ensuring it was bug free. For many of the launch ports, it's not about pushing the console, but more about ensuring the games are working in an acceptable state. No point in spending big budgets for no financial gain.

If you really want to judge a console's capabilities, you don't judge it by launch titles.

Well it appears that WiiU owners should reward Rocksteady for their great port of Batman and avoid the others. Batman is super awesome if you haven't played it yet. Dissapointing on Ninja Gaiden and Mass Effect 3.

wsippel

Banned
k6Nro.jpg%3Cbr

The way the Wii U is designed, it should be best suited for engines using deferred shading. Trine 2 is probably the only port on Wii U that uses deferred shading, and Frozenbyte stated that they had the game up and running in just a few days, and had no problem reaching good performance levels.

The way the Wii U is designed, it should be best suited for engines using deferred shading. Trine 2 is probably the only port on Wii U that uses deferred shading, and Frozenbyte stated that they had the game up and running in just a few days, and had no problem reaching good performance levels.

In 720p.

Eideka

Banned

And they managed to make it run at 1080p, impressive work.

A couple of pages someone mentioned those scenes are not real time.
Abbut the bolded, just because a game is running on more powerful hardware, it doesn't mean it's going to appear better all of a sudden. Engines have to be adapted based on the architecture of the target hardware and developers have to actually take time to implement the improvements. As you mentioned, it is a cheap port, so all the budget was probably dedicated to getting the game running on the new hardware and ensuring it was bug free. For many of the launch ports, it's not about pushing the console, but more about ensuring the games are working in an acceptable state. No point in spending big budgets for no financial gain.
If you really want to judge a console's capabilities, you don't judge it by launch titles.
Of course I'm not going to pretend this is what the Wii U has to offer in terms of graphical capabilities. We know it's going to take a little bit of optimization, reworking of tools before we see magnificent titles on the consoles.

I was merely disappointed that those titles could not look noticeably better on ....better hardware. The architecture of the Wii U is pretty similar to that of the 360, am I correct ? I am a bit naive I allow but to my mind the Wii U is quite clearly ahead of the current HD twins and I rightfully expected ports to look better. Better AA, AF, framerate, resolution as a baseline...So far it does not seem to be the case. :/

Hasn't it be stated that the Xbox 360 version of that scene is a pre-rendered video? The Wii U version may be realtime, which would make a difference.
You are absolutely right.
I did not mean to bash the Wii U, of course we have yet to see the full Digital Foundry analysis to found out how does the Wii U build compares.

Durante

Are we sure it's realtime? They had to redo all of the FMV for the WiiU version as a result of the modified suit.
I don't know whether it's realtime, but wouldn't they increase the shadow resolution for a prerendered scene at least? As is, it looks terrible.

I was merely disappointed that those titles could not look noticeably better on ....better hardware. The architecture of the Wii U is pretty similar to that of the 360, am I correct ?
It is. Of course there are many differences (e.g. the DSP), but as far as consoles released 7 years apart go it's very close. Uniform memory pool, eDRAM for the AMD GPU, triple core IBM CPU.

wsippel

Banned
It is. Of course there are many differences (e.g. the DSP), but as far as consoles released 7 years apart go it's very close. Uniform memory pool, eDRAM for the AMD GPU, triple core IBM CPU.
I wouldn't exactly call Nintendo's MEM1/ MEM2 approach "uniform". It's bascially an evolution of the Gamecube memory hierarchy:

MEM1: 24MB 1T-SRAM -> 24MB 1T-SRAM -> 32MB eDRAM
MEM2: 16MB SDRAM -> 64MB GDDR3 -> 2GB DDR3

Both pools are shared between CPU and GPU, but they're still distinct.

Eideka

Banned
It must take a special kind of lazyness to end up with a barely superior port then.

Unless the two target buffers are much more of a problem that I imagined.

That's a shame, Nintendo could revive their franchise by putting a real next-gen console on the market. Technology-driven games are not a plague but a blessing more often than not, I dream of a Mario Sunshine game running on some serious hardware.

Nintendo, lama sabachthani ?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Well, I actually just bought the game and took a shot with my phone. When running in non-splitscreen the shadows are indeed present but they look rather different.

Cushions asset removed as well. Wii U version definitely weaker in your shot.

QaaQer

Laa Yosh from b3d said:
Also, they make their partners look bad. Judging by the hardware details it's impossible to produce a port of even a mildly complex X360/PS3 game, but all the flak from the audience will hit the developers instead of the one responsible.

I think I understand why 3rd party devs might not want to put things on wii u.

FoneBone

As much as the word "lazy" is being tossed around - I don't know how much the developers can really be blamed, given the constraints imposed by developing a launch title.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I actually just bought the game and took a shot with my phone. When running in non-splitscreen the shadows are indeed present but they look rather different.

Can you take direct feed?

As much as the word "lazy" is being tossed around - I don't know how much the developers can really be blamed, given the constraints imposed by developing a launch title.
Penny-pincher publishers is a better word.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Man, the campaign framerate sucks thus far. The whole first scene is basically 30 fps up until the field starts to clear. Looks more like the 360 version in terms of IQ with the performance more like ps3 (maybe worse). It's definitely not even remotely stable. We'll see how it goes as I progress.

Can you take direct feed?

Penny-pincher publishers is a better word.
Unless there is a way to snap screens with the system itself I can't take a direct feed.

Looks fantastic when displayed on the controller, though.

M3d10n

I think the latest CODs actually do have baked shadows, but they only show up on surfaces beyond the maximum range of the dynamic shadows (which only affect objects within a certain distance form the camera).

pottuvoi

Banned
I think the latest CODs actually do have baked shadows, but they only show up on surfaces beyond the maximum range of the dynamic shadows (which only affect objects within a certain distance form the camera).
This is actually a good way to do it as it prevents the visible end of shadows line seen in many games.
Also the lightmap doesn't really have to be very big when used for far away objects.

FoneBone

Man, the campaign framerate sucks thus far. The whole first scene is basically 30 fps up until the field starts to clear. Looks more like the 360 version in terms of IQ with the performance more like ps3 (maybe worse). It's definitely not even remotely stable. We'll see how it goes as I progress.

Unless there is a way to snap screens with the system itself I can't take a direct feed.

Is the framerate better if played only on the Gamepad? (If it has a gamepad-only mode, I can't remember...)

are you playing with the gamepad as a second display or the wii mote?

Maxrunner

what game?

Top Bottom