• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No X360 Fighters in '06 or '07?

DrDogg

I know fighting games are no longer the powerhouses they once were, but some of us still enjoy a good fighting game and it seems as though Mortal Kombat still sells 1 million+ with every release. Not to mention Tekken, Soul Calibur and the like all sell very well.

DOA4 released at the end of 2005 on Xbox 360. Outside of XBLA there are no fighting games scheduled to release for the 360 this year. VF5 and Tekken 6 are both heading to the PS3 next year. I was hoping the new Rare game from X06 would be Killer Instinct 3 (yeah some of you hate the series, oh well), but we got Banjo instead.

So the question is, are there no fighting games being released on Xbox 360 from DOA4 in 2005 until sometime in 2008 when it's assumed Namco will bring Soul Calibur 4 to the console? I'd also assume MK8 will be out sometime in 2008 as a multiplatform title.

Assuming SC4 and MK8 are multiplatform, that still doesn't give MS any exclusive fighters outside of XBLA. And looking at Team Ninja's development schedule we won't see another DOA fighting game for at least another 3-4 years.

Where are the Xbox 360 fighters and does this hurt MS in the least? Obviously if MS had been able to secure VF5 exclusivity it would've helped in Japan. Tekken probably would've been a little help in the US as well.

/rant

The End

Mercury Fred said:
And you're also assuming that MS won't secure some version of VF5 down the road.

It wouldn't be worth any money that MS would have to shell out for it.

It's useful to sony as a weapon against nintendo in japan, in the US, it's not a marquee title.

If Maximum Impact was coming anytime soon, it would have been at TGS. They showed off PS2 ports and arcade games well into 2007 (SS Collection, SS Sen, KoF XII) but only Fatal Fury Special for Xbox.

Which is a bit hilarious because you get that and many other games in the two Fatal Fury collections for PS2.

llTll

Banned
Mercury Fred said:
And you're also assuming that MS won't secure some version of VF5 down the road.
thats not assuming. VF5 is ps3 exclusive. whatever its going to come to xbox 360 or not is something we dont know.

i am sure everyone said VF4 will be coming to xbox 1. that didnt happen either. till it happen, dount get your hopes up.

on the other hand. SC3 was exclusive for Sony. so there is chance its ps3 only as well.

and dont tell me the chances of SC4 is sony exclusive as big as the chance of Vf5 coming to xbox 360. thats just crap

llTll said:
thats not assuming. VF5 is ps3 exclusive. whatever its going to come to xbox 360 or not is something we dont know.

i am sure everyone said VF4 will be coming to xbox 1. that didnt happen either. till it happen, dount get your hopes up.

on the other hand. SC3 was exclusive for Sony. so there is chance its ps3 only as well.

and dont tell me the chances of SC4 is sony exclusive as big as the chance of Vf5 coming to xbox 360. thats just crap
Re-read my post:

McBacon said:
Rumble Roses likes to think its a fighter

It does have that street fight mode, with life bars and all. Sad stretch, I know. =/
It would be dreamy if the 360 were graced with a VF5 port sometime, anytime down the road.

Xenon

The genre has is a stale rotting corpse. Some company needs to come in and create something original. Its a shame that Power Stone 1 didn't do so well. I would love to see that concept expanded on.

The End

Xenon said:
The genre has is a stale rotting corpse. Some company needs to come in and create something original. Its a shame that Power Stone 1 didn't do so well. I would love to see that concept expanded on.

See, now you just look dumb.

You've got your accessible fighters (SC, Tekken, DOA), your professional fighters (VF, GG, SF3), and shit fighters (Mortal Kombat, any of the MGS fighters from last gen, etc)

There's great stuff out there, but you have to go looking for it.

jarrod

Banned
The End said:
It wouldn't be worth any money that MS would have to shell out for it.
After SC3's performance, I'd say that more applies to Sony & SC4. ;)

The End said:
It's useful to sony as a weapon against nintendo in japan, in the US, it's not a marquee title.
Actually, Virtua Fighter sells best in America these days. VF4, VF4 Evo and even Virtua Quest all sold more in the US than Japan.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Dante said:
I was really hoping for KI3 @ X06 :(
It's probably still coming.

After this Banjo announcement we now know what 2 of the teams over at Rare are doing: 1) Finishing up VP and 2) Working on Banjo 360.

I'm sure Rare have about 4 teams, and there is probably another announcement of a game soon.

DrDogg

cjelly said:
It's probably still coming.

After this Banjo announcement we now know what 2 of the teams over at Rare are doing: 1) Finishing up VP and 2) Working on Banjo 360.

I'm sure Rare have about 4 teams, and there is probably another announcement of a game soon.

I would love to see another KI title (although not like KI2/Gold please), but I don't know about them currently working on one. Why announce Banjo at X06 when they already have a family friendly game on the horizon (VP)?

Not to mention that they obviously don't have much to show for Banjo since all we got was a brief teaser trailer. I would think a fighting game would be a lot better to announce at an early stage of development and there are no other fighters heading to 360 right now (outside of XBLA).

Take a look at the Tekken 6 teasers from E3 05 and E3 06. It doesn't take much to announce a fighting game. ^_^

Also, isn't one of Rare's teams working on handheld stuff? Where's the XBLA team Rare? At least give me some KI1 over XBLA (I'll even take some Battletoads while we're on the subject).

I was hoping fist of the north star would be ported to 360 somehow with Live support. Maybe MS can pay Namco to port Tekken DR to 360 :lol

Xenon

The End said:
See, now you just look dumb.

You've got your accessible fighters (SC, Tekken, DOA), your professional fighters (VF, GG, SF3), and shit fighters (Mortal Kombat, any of the MGS fighters from last gen, etc)

There's great stuff out there, but you have to go looking for it.

The big titles have been around for years and I just have little interest in them, now. I loved VF, VF2, SC, and DOA, back they were new. But when I played VF4, SC2, and DOA3 they still had the familiar feel of their predecessors. They need to be re-invented RE4 style and change they way they are played. I don't think they have go as far as the wii to do this either. Just throw out what they have so far and start fresh and build something from the ground up.

Good to see other 360 owners actually care about fighting games too. This has been one of the biggest bummers for me with Xbox so far, is the complete lack of fighters. I have a PS2, so I was able to play (and still do) all of the great fighters current-gen brought; SC2/3, T4/5, VF4, etc. However, until I can finally get my hands on PS3 I doubt I will get to enjoy the next-gen installments of these series. It just doesn't seem like Xbox will ever get any of those classics. Although SC2 was multiplatform, I kind of feel like that was a one time thing.

I think if you look at the gaming industry today practically no one is creating new solid fighters, games like Tao Feng and the like don’t count, we know this. I just can't remember the last time I saw new IP fighting game that frankly, didn't look like total rubbish. It seems like it's a dead concept in gaming, for now anyway.

Anyway, I digress... I just don't see PS3 letting go of VF5 exclusivity. Not to mention it was built from the ground up for that system so I don't know how easily it could be ported to the 360. Unfortunately the horizon for 360 fighting games looks bleak at best.

jarrod

Banned
Russian Steve said:
Anyway, I digress... I just don't see PS3 letting go of VF5 exclusivity. Not to mention it was built from the ground up for that system so I don't know how easily it could be ported to the 360. Unfortunately the horizon for 360 fighting games looks bleak at best.
Er... VF5 was build from the ground up for LindBergh. An arcade board which both PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 happen to hadily outperform. 360 could handle VF5 in it's sleep, no question.

It's the Namco's and the Sega's that suffer from their decision not to put their games on the 360. There's a market for them, and they are just turning a blind eye to it with their most popular franchies. Their own mistakes :).

jarrod

Banned
HocusPocus said:
It's the Namco's and the Sega's that suffer from their decision not to put their games on the 360. There's a market for them, and they are just turning a blind eye to it with their most popular franchies. Their own mistakes :).
You'd think after Namco sold FIVE AND A HALF MILLION copies of Soul Calibur 2, they'd have wised up. Maybe having sold barely a fifth the copies of Soul Calibur 3 will drive the message home?

jarrod said:
Er... VF5 was build from the ground up for LindBergh. An arcade board which both PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 happen to hadily outperform. 360 could handle VF5 in it's sleep, no question.

Ah, well thank you for correcting me.

My point though, was not that I didn't think the 360 could handle the game, both the 360 and PS3 are capable of much more than VF5, but just how easy it would be to translate from one system to the other due to their fairly different hardware. However, since you pointed out it was designed for an arcade board like you said, my point is irrelivant. :)

Az987

all good things
Theres a few Live Arcade fighters coming though lol

Ultimate MK! Something from SNK and that Japanese only kung fu game!

Dr.Hadji

Fighting games live on the life-blood of Japan. 360 has none flowing through its veins. It gets no fighting love. Heck even the Wii has its own style of fightings games lined up for the next year. Anime and Crossover Fighters FTW!

I honestly don't care for 3d fighters, i'd personally love some SNK games on live arcade - Garou, Last Blade, KoF XI etc or Melty Blood Act Cadenza - and SF3 obviousley.

luffeN

jarrod said:
After SC3's performance, I'd say that more applies to Sony & SC4. ;)

well, didnt namco also say they only want to release sc3 for ps2 because it has the largest installed userbase? or was it just a "lame excuse" to kind of cover the ps2 exclusivity?

because in 2008 id say for america that the user bases will likely be the same for ps3 and 360, so sc4 may become multi platform again. but oh well, only time will tell

rastex

Banned
Well, the original Xbox started off in a similar situation with few fightings games (and the ones that did come out were quite poor). But later on in the system's life, the Xbox became the premier 2D fighting game console, with all the online 2D Fighting games.

We're already starting to see a similar thing occur with XBLA, so I'm hoping it expands to SF3 and other relatively "new" fighters.

But you're totally right. Team Ninja is the only development studio for Microsoft that develops games in the 3D Fighting, and Martial-Arts Action game genres. They need more than that, A LOT more. Precisly because those are my favourites :)

Fighters won't change much, and if they do, they're not fighters anymore. IE Smash Bros, Bushido Blade, Ehrgeiz and Power Stone to a degree. You need the basics: the life bar, the distinct move lists, otherwise it's just an action party game. The more random events, pickups and platforming you're adding, the more you're moving quickly past Samurai Shodown, Dead or Alive, into Guardian Heroes and on to Gauntlet.

bill0527

Sega is a fool for making VF5 PS3 exclusive. They should at least do a timed exclusive. The 360 market for fighters appears to be a barren wasteland. No one should really be surprised though, this is Sega we're talking about and they hate money

Bebpo

Banned
bill0527 said:
Sega is a fool for making VF5 PS3 exclusive. They should at least do a timed exclusive. The 360 market for fighters appears to be a barren wasteland. No one should really be surprised though, this is Sega we're talking about and they hate money

Buy a PS3.

Even the name Lindbergh implies that multi console ports can become reality.

The fighting game genre is pretty dead. Dead or Alive 4 did pretty decently. Don't imply that the 3rd rate Mortal Kombat clone, Killer Instinct, would revive any kind of fighter market. Rare is slow and incompetent but they're not totally moronic. They keep passing on Killer Instinct for a reason...because it blows ass.

But later on in the system's life, the Xbox became the premier 2D fighting game console, with all the online 2D Fighting games.

Yes but terms are a little different. Supposedly Microsoft's HD demands have scared SNK Playmore from the 360 and moved onto the Wii. I recall Metal Slug (either 6 or 3D), Neo Geo Battle Colosseum, and Maximum Impact 2 coming to the Xbox 360. Its unlikely any of the three are coming. Plus with Capcom's damn near no 2D fighters released on consoles, 360 will be a different situation than with the Xbox.

XBLA could be a different story.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
I suspect Sumo Digital could do a great job porting VF5 to X360.

Too bad it will never happen. :(

And MS needs to get some fighters on the system. DOA is not enough. SF2 HF and UMK and Fatal Fury Special on XBLA is not enough.

DrDogg

The Experiment said:
The fighting game genre is pretty dead. Dead or Alive 4 did pretty decently. Don't imply that the 3rd rate Mortal Kombat clone, Killer Instinct, would revive any kind of fighter market. Rare is slow and incompetent but they're not totally moronic. They keep passing on Killer Instinct for a reason...because it blows ass.

If Rare thinks KI won't do well why don't they release KI1 on XBLA? The development costs would be considerably lower and it would be a decent way to gauge interest.

Considering the fact that KI and MK play very differently, I wouldn't exactly call KI a third rate MK clone, but you can't expect everyone to learn how to play the game at high levels so whatever.

However, I don't see the fighting game market as being dead when all of the big name fighters sell in the millions. My original post was to find out why the hell MS is about to go 2 years without a non-XBLA fighting game, not to revive the fighting game market.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
The Experiment said:
The fighting game genre is pretty dead. Dead or Alive 4 did pretty decently.

Nah. There's a ton of fighters that came out this past year on just about every platform out there-- EXCEPT the Xbox 360. Even the Game Cube got a new fighter this year.

FIGHTERS? YOU WANT FIGHTERS? YOU'LL GET YOUR FIRST-PERSON SHOOTERS AND BE HAPPY, GODDAMIT!

Seriously, I am also really pissed about the lack of fighting games on 360. And don't give me this "UMK3 on XBLA bullshit either. Real fans KNOW that's not a real fighter. I mean it is, but its not in the same league as Marvel Vs Capcom 2, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Tekken 5, etc. There's just no 5-Star fighters on the 360, period. The couple of top-tier Xbox 1 fighters aren't even backward compatible yet which totally sucks.

I really hope something is done about this. DOA is a sorry fighter when you're like me and you grew up on the best fighters of all time. I'd love to see the 360 get some respected names in the genre to help pull it out of the "FPS-Machine" stereotype its falling into.

Also wanted to add that my PSP is turning into THE fighting game platform. Street Fighter Alpha 3, Tekken 5, Powerstone Collection, and Guilty Gear Reload/Judgement (which is ****ing awesome btw, beat-em-up revival FTW!) If it were to get Soul Calibur or Marvel vs Capcom 2 or something, it'd be the platform with almost every top fighter ever made. Pretty kickass.

Tain

Except for the fact that you need two of the platform for multiplayer and can't use any halfway decent controllers.

Tain said:
Except for the fact that you need two of the platform for multiplayer and can't use any halfway decent controllers.

Yeah well, can't have everything. :) Its either that or buy a Dreamcast and a PS2 and use their combined libraries to build the ultimate fighting game collection.

I love fighting games and the lack of fighting games these days is absolutely depressing. King of Fighters 2006 is helping me out though. :) Admittedly, PS3 do have some quality fighters coming, but I can't say the same for X360. Seriously, I am not trying to start anything here, but some of the blame should be directed at the undeniable fact that the vast majority of western developers are obsessed with or only really care about FPS/war games. Who knows? Maybe they are not quite talented enough to make quality fighting games and create FPS's because they are easier for them? Just my opinion, so take it easy guys. I wouldn't hold my breath for VF5 coming to X360 unless the PS3 version bombs miserably which I doubt. I heard SC4 could end up being exclusive again and with Sony's track record, I wouldn't be surprised. Sorry, I just had to vent.

Rhazer Fusion said:
I love fighting games and the lack of fighting games these days is absolutely depressing. King of Fighters 2006 is helping me out though. :) Admittedly, PS3 do have some quality fighters coming, but I can't say the same for X360. Seriously, I am not trying to start anything here, but some of the blame should be directed at the undeniable fact that the vast majority of western developers are obsessed with or only really care about FPS/war games. Who knows? Maybe they are not quite talented enough to make quality fighting games and create FPS's because they are easier for them? Just my opinion, so take it easy guys. I wouldn't hold my breath for VF5 coming to X360 unless the PS3 version bombs miserably which I doubt. I heard SC4 could end up being exclusivr again adn with Sony's track record, I wouldn't be surprised. Sorry, I just had to vent.

No need to apologize. I think you pretty much were spot on with what you said.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
MS has really dropped the ball on the fighter department. They don't seem to be concerned that none of the Xbox1 top tier games work on 360 and they don't seem to care that all the new fighters are not coming to 360.

Top Bottom