• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No X360 Fighters in '06 or '07?

klee123

Actually, assassin's creed was never said to be PS3 exclusive. it was just listed as a PS3 game during E3, but it was never exclusive like VF5.

Brofist

jarrod said:
I'm just saying, the markets are different this time around. About the only solid reason for keeping VF5 off 360 is moneyhats, which I'll admit is rather somewhat likely even.

If your reasoning for VF5 staying exclusive is chiefly a VF4 comparison though... well then I'm not the only one pushing "weak speculation" around here. ;)

nah the reasons I would think it's exclusive are

1. Japan's the biggest market for VF games, and there are no 360s to sell to there.
2. Sega seems intent on keeping VF an offline experience, and I can't imagine MS wanting a non Live fighting game.
3. Sega seems to be making a big push on the PS3 version, with the specialized joystick and all.

Also has any VF game not been console specific. Genny version of VF doesn't count ;)

klee123 said:
Actually, assassin's creed was never said to be PS3 exclusive. it was just listed as a PS3 game during E3, but it was never exclusive like VF5.

God I swear you put GAF on earth just to make me hurt myself.

jarrod

Banned
kpop100 said:
nah the reasons I would think it's exclusive are

1. Japan's the biggest market for VF games, and there are no 360s to sell to there.
2. Sega seems intent on keeping VF an offline experience, and I can't imagine MS wanting a non Live fighting game.
3. Sega seems to be making a big push on the PS3 version, with the specialized joystick and all.
Well, you're already wrong 1 & 2. And #3 was probably hat driven. ;)

Cahill

Banned
VF being PS3 exclusive is really disappointing to me. Didn't matter last gen since I had all the systems, but I just don't plan on nabbing a PS3 anytime soon, which means I'm choosing to pass on my favorite fighting series (at least for a while). Still, I'm trying to keep a *little* hope that it makes its way to the 360 - as utterly doubtful as it is.

Where's Arne? Come on man... make it happen for us. VF5, SC etc... oh, and how about another missing genre while you're at it; some high quality car combat mayhem - Twisted/ (original) Destruction Derby/ Rush 2049 multiplayer/ Vigilate 8 style, not that shoddy Full Auto crap. I really miss the arena style vehicle games.

StRaNgE

Banned
forget fighting games! i next a bad ass next gen motocross game.

ecite truck just does not replace the bike for me. :(

jarrod

Banned
kpop100 said:
Are you telling me Japan isn't the largest VF market, or that 360 sales in Japan are good?
Japan isn't VF's largest market. At least is hasn't been since SEGA dropped hardware.

The US is 1st place now.

jarrod said:
So was your avatar, give it time. ;)

No it wasn't, go find an actual press release or even a comment from UBI where they ever said Assassins was an exclusive. You won't find one. All they ever said is "All we've announced it for at the moment is the PS3".

Brofist

Cahill said:
VF being PS3 exclusive is really disappointing to me. Didn't matter last gen since I had all the systems, but I just don't plan on nabbing a PS3 anytime soon, which means I'm choosing to pass on my favorite fighting series (at least for a while). Still, I'm trying to keep a *little* hope that it makes its way to the 360 - as utterly doubtful as it is.

Where's Arne? Come on man... make it happen for us. VF5, SC etc... oh, and how about another missing genre while you're at it; some high quality car combat mayhem - Twisted/ (original) Destruction Derby/ Rush 2049 multiplayer/ Vigilate 8 style, not that shoddy Full Auto crap. I really miss the arena style vehicle games.

man Destruction Derby was one of the reason's I bought a Playstation instead of a Saturn at the time. It was such a shallow, yet fun game. Course I ended up buying a Saturn later on anyway.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
No it wasn't, go find an actual press release or even a comment from UBI where they ever said Assassins was an exclusive. You won't find one. All they ever said is "All we've announced it for at the moment is the PS3".
Actually, the only comments I can find concerning exclusivity pre-360 unveiling is Ubi confirming a PC port and reconfirming only a PS3 version before that. I haven't found any "for the moment" mentions though. ;)

jarrod said:
Actually, the only comments I can find concerning exclusivity pre-360 unveiling is Ubi confirming a PC port and reconfirming only a PS3 version before that. I haven't found any "for the moment" mentions though. ;)

What i'm saying is that they'd never use the word exclusive to describe the PS3 version. Sega has used the word exclusive to describe VF5 for the PS3.

DCharlie

Banned
You could throw in the PS3's hardware and Blu Ray (which came straight from the producer of the game, I think it was him) as other reasons for it being exclusive.
as people keep pointing out in other threads "exclusives" mean very little these days, given the technical level of lindbergh and the fact that the arcade game ships on a DVD make the comment seem odd...

Talking to the Norwegian game site, gamer.no, Product Manager of Ubisoft Nordic Harald Horsberg says that the game is announced exclusively for the PS3 after he had been in contact with the French HQ.
PR Manager Fredrik Moberg adds “there are no indications that this game is headed for other formats besides the PS3”

Another report is also coming from the official Ubisoft forums. A Community Manager from Ubisoft under the name of ‘UbiRazz posted this statement.

“Ubisoft have confirmed no such thing. Assassin’s Creed will come on PlayStation 3 and at this time, no other platform has been confirmed.” said UbiRazz.

This of course won’t kill the rumors for good, as people will still argue that a 360 version could become available somewhere down the line, maybe 6-12 months after the PS3 version, but at the moment the official word from Ubisoft is that Assassin’s Creed is a PS3 exclusive.

doesn't use the word but....

Brofist

jarrod said:
As an aside... I wonder how many people in this thread owned a Saturn and a copy of VF2?

yes. actually I had 2 copies 1 from that 3 game pack in and a seperate copy. I bought all the fighters (Megamix, Last Bronx, etc..) VF2 was always the king on Saturn though.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
I owned a Japanese Saturn and Japanese VF2 and a US Saturn and US VF2.

I also bought a DC for VF3tb and bought a PS2 for VF4.

klee123

DCharlie said:
as people keep pointing out in other threads "exclusives" mean very little these days, given the technical level of lindbergh and the fact that the arcade game ships on a DVD make the comment seem odd...

In the end, it's all moneyhats. Which is why PS3 won't be getting Splinter cell 5 and Bioshock.

Brofist

Cahill said:
*raises hand* (and all the other VF releases)

you know you'll end up getting a PS3, VF5 and the stick :D

this really might be the first arcade perfect VF on a console. Sega's own home hardware always lacked the power to keep up with their arcade releases.

Cahill

Banned
kpop100 said:

this really might be the first arcade perfect VF on a console. Sega's own home hardware always lacked the power to keep up with their arcade releases.

:D I take it you know me? :lol

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
kpop100 said:

I'm tempted to get a PS3 at launch even though we won't see VF5 until March at the earliest.

I love VF so much.

klee123

What's really awesome is if VF5 has an online mode(not necessarily meaning online play), they can easily provide update patches. If it's a big update like from VF4 to VF4 evo, they offer the update via microtransactions.

DrDogg

Bad_Boy said:
so whats the count for 2007?

Soul Calibur 4?
Mortal Kombat Next Gen
Def Jam 3

PS3
Def Jam 3
Virtua Fighter 5
Mortal Kombat Next Gen
Tekken 6
Soul Calibur 4?

Wii
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 *(should be 2006 title though, 2007 for the rest of the world)
Mortal Kombat: Armageddon
Bleach
Soul Calibur 4?

probably a couple unannounced, but thats a rough list I guess.

I doubt Namco will release Tekken and Soul Calibur in the same year, especially when we don't even know when in 2007 we'll see Tekken. Also, MK8 won't be released until 2008 according to Boon from E3 interviews. Def Jam I don't count as a fighting game in the traditional sense.

Here's my take...

Xbox 360
2006 - Nothing
2007 - Nothing
2008 - Mortal Kombat 8, Soul Calibur 4

PS3
2006 - Nothing
2007 - Tekken 6, VF5

Wii
2006 - Nothing
2007 - Smash Brawl, Budokai Tenkaichi 2, Mortal Kombat Armageddon, Bleach, Naruto

God DAMN this thread is depressing. I'm actively scooping up all the best fighters I can from last gen just so I can get my fix.

C'mon. Somebody at MS has to be reading this. Make it happen, people. We want Street Fighter 4 for sure if its not a rumor. You'd better not let that one go PS3 exclusive. You hear me? They already have Tekken and Virtua Fighter. Make sure you have SOMETHING. And hardcore fighting game fans KNOW that DOA and Mortal Kombat aren't shit compared to the big guns. Land us a Guilty Gear or something. PLEASE. We're dying here.

Bebpo

Banned
DrDogg said:
I doubt Namco will release Tekken and Soul Calibur in the same year, especially when we don't even know when in 2007 we'll see Tekken. Also, MK8 won't be released until 2008 according to Boon from E3 interviews. Def Jam I don't count as a fighting game in the traditional sense.

Here's my take...

Xbox 360
2006 - Nothing
2007 - Nothing

PS3
2006 - Nothing
2007 - Tekken 6, VF5

Wii
2006 - Nothing
2007 - Smash Brawl, Budokai Tenkaichi 2, Mortal Kombat Armageddon, Bleach, Naruto

Are you not counting 2d fighters? Because KoFXII is gonna go somewhere as will any new SNK & Arc system fighters in 07/08.

klee123

Bebpo said:
Are you not counting 2d fighters? Because KoFXII is gonna go somewhere as will any new SNK & Arc system fighters in 07/08.

Apparantly they favour the Wii the most at the moment.

DrDogg

Bebpo said:

I haven't heard much of anything concerning the SNK and Arc fighters, which is why I didn't include them. Although since Xbox got the only US port of GGX2#R I guess it's possible that 360 will get the upcoming GG arcade title. Still nothing concrete though.

I still want my KI Rare... even if it's just KI1 on XBLA. Just make sure the netcode isn't as bad as Hyper Fighting and give me ranked quarter matches please.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
klee123 said:
Apparantly they favour the Wii the most at the moment.

No, SNK *USA* seems to favor the Wii at the moment. In Japan, they release all their games for the Playstation 2.

If you look at fighting games only released in the States, I guess it does make the genere look depressing and close to being "dead," but that's not true, and there's a ton of import-only releases out there. If you want fighting games, you need to have a way to play Japanese PS2 games. It doesn't look like that's going to be changing either; future (2D) games will either stay on PS2 or move to the PS3.

jarrod

Banned
DrDogg said:
Wii
2006 - Nothing
Bleach is in 2006 and I doubt Wii gets SC4. It may get a SC game (likely an upgraded SC3 or an exclusive Ridger Racers style "best of") but not SC4 I'd wager.

Wii seems to be a likely home for SNKP ports too.

Lyte Edge said:
No, SNK *USA* seems to favor the Wii at the moment. In Japan, they release all their games for the Playstation 2.
So it'll basically be like the previous Xbox/PS2 dynamic. Wii gets SNKP USA funded ports with exclusive western online play plus all the titles that fail SCEA Product Approval as exclusives.

Top Bottom