• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Wii U Firmware (12/04/2012)

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Updating my update now.

I'm hoping for hardlock fixes, the UI 'slowness' doesn't bother me as much as most people here.

Daknight

This is going to take forever for me :( But like the auto-download in the background. 3DS does it, so glad they did the same function for the Wii U (just that in it you can actually check if is downloading something).

Nintendo Direct from NoE, NoA, and NoJ tomorrow

Wii U and 3DS update come out the day before at the exact same time

x-files-i-want-to-believe_large.jpg

Rubixcuba

Banned
So it's just lock ups? I had about 10 with Nintendo Land, so it's a nice update but a bit underwhelming considering the size seems pretty large for a fix like that.

kinggroin

Banned
Can you play Wii games on the pad

Are there demos in the shop

Are there any new icons anywhere

Is there a clock on the main screen

Are there new options in the settings menu

No

Not that I see.

No

Not that I see.

The e-shop shows Avengers Battle for Earth as the spotlight title.

nickcv

So it's just lock ups? I had about 10 with Nintendo Land, so it's a nice update but a bit underwhelming considering the size seems pretty large for a fix like that.

maybe this update also prepares the console for something related to tomorrow ND

Fox Mulder

it was wishful thinking that they'd fix the horribly slow os already.

I never had a lockup and only had to yank the power when it never timed out while trying to connect to my wifi in wii mode.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if the update is large because it has data prepping for the launch of Nintendo TVii. Who knows. All I know is I hope it fixes the hardlock issue.

PhantomR

Banned
Eshop still slow.

Miiverse still slow.

Slow OS is slow.

System never crashed for me so whatever. Back to Zombi-U

So, this needs to be better discussed.

When I'm ACTUALLY IN THE APP itself (Miiverse, friends list, etc) the system is speedy and loads things just fine. There is no issue whatsoever with speed. It's only loading times between apps that seem to be long. If I click on a profile in Miiverse, it pops up instantly. If I scroll through Netflix, it scrolls through movies smoothly. If I check my system log, I can toggle between day and month views instantly with no problems. Again it's only when you're transitioning between different apps that it's slower.

I'm not saying that's a good thing, but posts like "Slow OS" imply that everything about the system is slow...even when you're trying to do things in apps themselves. That's just not true.

Seik

Banned
I wonder if this will fix the boost challenges in Sonic All Star Racing Transformed. I know it should be a specific patch for the game made by S0L, but its a Nintendo patch that fucked it up, maybe another one will fix it, or fuck it even more.

Back from work in 3 hours, will download ASAP. Still I'm not missing much since it seems slow as fuck because everyone is downloading it at the same time.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Maybe Nintendo doesn't think the OS is slow?

Someone needs to ask Nintendo directly on the responsiveness of the OS

Reggie would probably just claim it's the dramatically fastest OS of all the consoles. Then whatever "journalist" that asked would slither away into an open drain pipe.

Sucks about the slowness... We dreamed a good dream, guys.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
It's like you guys have never downloaded anything. Ever. Don't trust the estimated time remaining.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
It only takes about 3-4 seconds to switch between apps. I just tried it.

I launched Miiverse from the main menu first, took about 5-6 seconds. Then I pressed home and launched the Friends List, took about 3-4 seconds.

Unless I can't count seconds properly, this isn't bad.

Chanser

It only takes about 3-4 seconds to switch between apps. I just tried it.

I launched Miiverse from the main menu first, took about 5-6 seconds. Then I pressed home and launched the Friends List, took about 3-4 seconds.

Unless I can't count seconds properly, this isn't bad.

Am I dreaming?

kinggroin

Banned
So, this needs to be better discussed.

When I'm ACTUALLY IN THE APP itself (Miiverse, friends list, etc) the system is speedy and loads things just fine. There is no issue whatsoever with speed. It's only loading times between apps that seem to be long. If I click on a profile in Miiverse, it pops up instantly. If I scroll through Netflix, it scrolls through movies smoothly. If I check my system log, I can toggle between day and month views instantly with no problems. Again it's only when you're transitioning between different apps that it's slower.

I'm not saying that's a good thing, but posts like "Slow OS" imply that everything about the system is slow...even when you're trying to do things in apps themselves. That's just not true.

Its safe to assume folks in here will mostly own a Wii-U. They know perfectly well what I mean by slow OS is slow. There really is no need for the distinction IMO.

zroid

Banned
Oh hah, I turned on the Wii U aiming to grab the update, and it had already started downloading without my involvement. Well, that's one good thing, at least.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Am I dreaming?

I didn't launch anything from inside a game, just the main menu. I don't know if it loads apps faster when you don't suspend a game or not, so maybe that's different.

In any case like I mentioned before, the speed thing never really bothered me to begin with so maybe I'm not the best person to ask, but thought I'd see how long it took to launch applications and between applications.

lenovox1

Maybe Nintendo doesn't think the OS is slow?

Someone needs to ask Nintendo directly on the responsiveness of the OS

They've acknowledged ut on their support website.

We are aware that users are experiencing load times when they launch or switch between applications. We are exploring ways to enhance features for consumers' overall experience.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wiiu/en_na/system_console.jsp

It's under “General Info.” Doesn't really make it any better, but they know about it.

Yeah, never had a game crash. Crashed the system on the browser, but it was probably my own fault.

I had a few the first day and nothing since. In my case I'm guessing either the thermal paste hadn't cured properly yet or it just needed a little time to burn in. Stability's been a non-concern pretty much from day 2 onwards, and that's with probably well over 50 hours of play thus far.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Update installed. Took ages after the download was finished. OS still as slow as ever, unfortunately. Went into settings app - about 15 seconds to load. To get back to the main menu took about 30. Hopefully a fix will come soon!

Top Bottom