• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mega-Cave Shooter Post, because they're totally awesome and sweet

BOTEC

I have just about all of these games and here I am considering it.

what the fuck, Tain.

No way this will have Ketsui and DOJ, will it?

It sucks. I wish 5PB would release the publishing rights back to Cave, if they're not going to do anything with those games. After playing more of them, they are two of my favorites.

Yes Boss!

Deathsmiles
Deathsmiles II X
Mushi HD
Mushi Futari
Espgaluda II BL
Dodondachi Daifukatsu
Dodonpachi Daifukatsu BL
Pink Sweets
Muchi Muchi Pork
Akai Katana
Guwange

That is what they show at amazon, at least.

Zeth

BL Arrange is included on the BL disc.

DFK Black Label dlc is unavailable in the US, correct? I've been digging DFK since I started playing Maximum and wish I had Black Label (I have the euro-greatest hits version that plays on US consoles)

Deathsmiles
Deathsmiles II X
Mushi HD
Mushi Futari
Espgaluda II BL
Dodondachi Daifukatsu
Dodonpachi Daifukatsu BL
Pink Sweets
Muchi Muchi Pork
Akai Katana
Guwange

That is what they show at amazon, at least.

Thanks Boss!

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Got back from Japan this week and while I was there got to play a bit of SDoJ. It was always beside a Black Label machine which I can beat fine, but I can't even 1CC past like stage 2 of SDoJ. Hard! Anyway some bad Cave photos:

pTTa0.jpg

z5et8.jpg

Z9xUN.jpg

dJEFK.jpg

First two are of some of the Cave merch at the Kotobukia store in Akiba. Second are typical STG setups ~

Wanted to steal that SDoJ poster so bad ahhhh.

Saroyan

Kraftwerk

I just got my first iOs Device; iPhone 5 :D

What is the must-have shooter to get? I want to get one to begin with, and go form there.

Beckx

Any tips for buying a Japanese 360? Will I be spending a lot?

Boss is right, if you don't go used, go for the 4GB version. I did that and am very happy with it. Great thing about having a JP box is that very few US games are locked (but there are some notable ones, like Dishonored and P4A, so it's not my primary box). Worth the price of admission for Mushihimesama HD alone.

danmaku

Famitsu has some news about the SaidaiOuJou port (translation isn't mine, don't shoot me!):

- arrange mode is programmed by Ikeda, Ichimura and Yagawa (wow!), it'll be totally different from previous arrange modes and will be focused on story, with voice acting by Aya Hirano
- it will feature a new elemental doll, Saya (http://www.senpaigamer.com/sites/default/files/news/xbox/2012/11/07-dodonpachi-saidaioujou-2.jpg)
- vertical scrolling, but 16:9 aspect ratio, like Jamestown and Gigawing
- supports coop multiplayer up to 3 players (not specificed if online or offline), there's only one score counter shared between players (great idea!)
- there will be an anime intro, sung by Aya Hirano
- Yagawa is in charge of the port (in previous games he only did arrange modes)
- it'll be their last game for 360
- they're working toghether with Microsoft (paving the way for more exclusive games on the nextbox?)
- there will be a big announcement on March 2013 (can't wait!!!! :3 )

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201211/08023600.html

http://www.arcade-extreme.com/forum...HI-SAIDAIOUJOU&p=150817&viewfull=1#post150817

hongcha

Famitsu has some news about the SaidaiOuJou port (translation isn't mine, don't shoot me!):

- arrange mode is programmed by Ikeda, Ichimura and Yagawa (wow!), it'll be totally different from previous arrange modes and will be focused on story, with voice acting by Aya Hirano
- it will feature a new elemental doll, Saya (http://www.senpaigamer.com/sites/default/files/news/xbox/2012/11/07-dodonpachi-saidaioujou-2.jpg)
- supports coop multiplayer up to 3 players (not specificed if online or offline), there's only one score counter shared between players (great idea!)
- they're working toghether with Microsoft (paving the way for more exclusive games on the nextbox?)

http://www.arcade-extreme.com/forum...HI-SAIDAIOUJOU&p=150817&viewfull=1#post150817

I posted all that (and more) in the SDOJ thread about a month ago:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=44182667&postcount=57

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
SDoJ is so hard ahhh. Arcade ver. anyway.

Also no please no more Xbox exclusive nonsense for next gen.

SDoJ is so hard ahhh. Arcade ver. anyway.

Also no please no more Xbox exclusive nonsense for next gen.

I don't see Cave going multiplatform at all given how small they are and how hard it is to simulate their arcade hardware - they still haven't gotten it quite right even when focusing on a single platform. They're simply going to go to whatever console other games in the genre are publishing for.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I don't see Cave going multiplatform at all given how small they are and how hard it is to simulate their arcade hardware - they still haven't gotten it quite right even when focusing on a single platform. They're simply going to go to whatever console other games in the genre are publishing for.

Yeah I suppose, but doesn't everyone say that Cave not being on PS3 was mainly Sony's fault? Hopefully if they're more receptive to Cave next gen, then Cave might be willing.

Zeth

Can't unlock the final stage in DDP Max, it's killing me. Also what's the best ship for scoring?

I like the way the touch controls work on DDP Max. The other Cave games with 1:1 touch feel sluggish after playing Max.

Dave Long

Banned
Cave on WiiU might be interesting... touch screen for iOS-style play along with standard controller-based shooting as well? Nintendo might embrace them, too!

Ra1den

Finally got myself a Seimitsu stick, the Hori RAP EX-SE. As I've always played shmups on gamepads I was curious to see how it would feel to finally play on a stick...this is also my first arcade stick purchase.

I was surprised when I tried it. Seemed really loose and imprecise compared to using the 360 analog stick,which I think works brilliantly for shmups.

My main problem is the huge deadzone on the stick. I heard so much about how responsive this stick is supposed to be...but there is a relatively huge lag between deciding I want to go a direction, pressing all the way over, and finally moving where I want. Whereas on the 360 analog stick, I immediately go where I want with the slightest twitch of my thumb. I don't think I'd want to get used to this.

The gate also feels restrictive compared to the free circular movement of the 360 pad...but this I think I could get used to.

I did buy the stick used, though supposedly it was hardly touched(some scratches on it tell me otherwise...).

I am just wondering if maybe the stick is worn out. I notice the "neutral" position has some play to it. In other words, there is neutral left, neutral up, neutral right...etc...So if I press right on the stick and let go of it, when it snaps back to neutral, it stays a bit to the right(tiny bit only)...and this goes for all directions. Is this normal?

danmaku

No, it's not. Looks like it was "touched" a bit more than "hardly". I have the same stick and I never felt a big deadzone in the lever, as soon as I press left I hear the click of the microswitch, no deadzone. I can check mine when I get home if you want more feedback.

You need to get used to the stick, though. It's not a magic wand that'll automatically make you a better player. Deadzones aside, the movement required to input a direction will always be bigger than the little twitch of the thumb on an analog stick, but since the stick is digital the precision is much better. You can click multiple times to adjust you position with maximum precision almost instantly. After some practice on a stick (or any other digital input device) you'll never go back to analog.

japtor

I don't have the HRAP but I do have a cab (and a left over stick I put into some Mad Catz one). There shouldn't be a "huge" dead zone or lag but I can't tell whether that's cause your stick is messed up or you're just comparing to tiny analog stick inputs or something.

My old old stick (in the Mad Catz) that's worn has a little wiggle in it that would count as the dead zone I guess, but just a little bit of force in any direction pretty much sets off the microswitch. If you can hear the click (...or not) and there's noticeable lag to movement then there's probably something up with the stick, assuming you're not just noticing TV lag or something for the first time.

As for the gate there's ways around it, I have octagonal ones on my cab (Sanwas). They actually increase the max throw to the cardinal directions a bit rather than tighten the diagonals, but wasn't a big deal once I got used to it (don't even do the full throw all the time). There's also circular gates but I don't have any experience with those on japanese sticks.

And for "neutral" position, I'm not entirely sure but I'm thinking it should snap to center if new. My old one does what you say but the movement in general feels kind of janky with it (like there's some built up gunk), while my newer ones...are downstairs so I'm not going to check right now in the middle of the night. I'm just assuming they snap to center cause they feel buttery smooth/clean in comparison, everything movement wise with them is better, so the springback to center should be better too. If it doesn't then I've never noticed cause it hasn't made a difference.

Ra1den

Thanks for the feedback guys. I get movement as soon as I hear the click, but it takes quite a bit of distance to get to that click.

It is tough for me to say since I don't have a new stick to compare it to, but from what you guys are telling me, it seems to be because this thing is worn down and has an off-center neutral position.

I'm curious about the digital VS analog thing though...I didn't notice any more precision with being able to make adjustments...from what it feels like, there is only 1 movement speed and the standard 8 directions. Is the joystick able to tell the game more detailed movement info than this, which the analog cannot convey??

Tain

Huh. First thing I think of is an arrange mode that isn't structured like an arcade game. Maybe something more like DDP Maximum?

All the MS partnership stuff is goofy and interesting and omg what is the announcement going to be~

SOME-MIST

I have an HRAP EX-SE (bought it new) and there is no dead zone.
You need to get used to the stick, though. It's not a magic wand that'll automatically make you a better player.
yup ^ you basically need to relearn how to play shmups. It took me about 3-5 months of play before I started noticing improvement over my analog runs.

you can also customize the gate in your EX-SE and swap out sticks if needed. It takes a little bit of effort but it might be worth it especially if your stick is worn out. I mainly use a VX-SA with an SE LS-56-01 and SE buttons.

I also hate using my gamepad now.

danmaku

I'm curious about the digital VS analog thing though...I didn't notice any more precision with being able to make adjustments...from what it feels like, there is only 1 movement speed and the standard 8 directions. Is the joystick able to tell the game more detailed movement info than this, which the analog cannot convey??

No, it's the other way around. An analog stick is designed to provide much more information than a classic shmup needs, so you end up doing unnecessary work. When you press left on an analog stick you can choose "how much left" you want to input but the game doesn't need it, it's just left. When I was playing on the 360 pad, in the most frantic moments I used to tilt the analog stick all the way to the left (or right) and it felt sloppy and slow. I also like using my entire left hand to input directions, I feel like I have more control over it. If you're used to play by making only tiny movements with your thumb, it may be different. After all, I managed to 1CC Death Smiles with the 360 pad, so it's not like those games are unplayable with an analog input, it's just that they were designed with digital inputs in mind and so they tend to work better with digital.

Ra1den

No, it's the other way around. An analog stick is designed to provide much more information than a classic shmup needs, so you end up doing unnecessary work. When you press left on an analog stick you can choose "how much left" you want to input but the game doesn't need it, it's just left. When I was playing on the 360 pad, in the most frantic moments I used to tilt the analog stick all the way to the left (or right) and it felt sloppy and slow. I also like using my entire left hand to input directions, I feel like I have more control over it. If you're used to play by making only tiny movements with your thumb, it may be different. After all, I managed to 1CC Death Smiles with the 360 pad, so it's not like those games are unplayable with an analog input, it's just that they were designed with digital inputs in mind and so they tend to work better with digital.

Oh I see now, that makes sense.

I have an HRAP EX-SE (bought it new) and there is no dead zone.

Everyone seems to agree there should be no deadzone on this stick, so I'm going to try to return it (may have to get ebay involved).

Edit: Just heard back from seller, he says I "may have to tighten it down, but it should be fine since i only played on it an hour total". Not sure what to make of that.

Beckx

Finally got to play around with Mushimesama HD. It's pretty, and I love some of the screen options they put into it, but I'm going back to Futari.

Visually, I felt like the stages weren't as vibrant as Futari, and weren't distinct from each other. Boss design felt a little lacking as well.

On the gameplay side, again the stages didn't feel very distinct, just more of the same in each level.

Still a great Cave game, but since I still haven't mastered Futari (can only get to Stage 4 on one credit) I don't see myself putting much time into M HD for a while.

Top Bottom