• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Seriously, the Eidos development teams should be put in charge of everything in that group. The japanese side can't direct games for shit nowadays. Sad sad stuff.

SE will have it rough next generation. I bet when they did the Luminous tech demo and someone told them they plan to eventually make complete games look like that everyone was laughing until everyone was crying.

Even beyond the actual game looking pretty terrible, this is an awful mess of a trailer. Poor editing, 'shot' choice, text overlays and the narration comes off as unintentionally hilarious due to the in-game footage not matching it very well.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I'm still shocked at how badly put together this trailer is. It's like they made it using Windows Movie Maker.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Looks appalling, I'm pretty shocked. I at least expect non-PS2 town graphics in 2012. They may as well be sending out cases of dogshit at this point if theyre so eager for the brand to be tarnished beyond all repair.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I'm always trying to see the positive things about new titles so I'll keep analyzing the trailer for myself. First the influences: it's obvious to a certain point the game will deal with creeds, religious themes and such. Probably moral choices coming along with those. Also, the detective-story atmosphere is right there. Can't say S-E doesn't try at least everytime for something different, even when dealing with direct sequels. I wonder though why they didn't show the stealth-elements that are so clearly shown on Famitsu and such.

edit.

I also don't get why the complains about the engine, it actually looks improved quite alot on different elements compared to XIII-2 and for other parts (/lighting) XIII. Also the characters' models are way more complex than before. Let's not forget we're speaking of japanese developers here, still far behind from what we managed to do in the west in the last two years (and this one looks better already than Tales of Xillia 2 and Yakuza 5 to name the last two japanese big blockbusters). Still, it looks quite good. What it lacks is polishing, but we're one year afar and I'm sure they'll get there eventually.

Rootbeer

Banned
I still need to finish XIII-2...
Can't believe I paid full price for it. Should have waited until it was $18 as it is now.
Unless the reviews are overwhelmingly great, I'm waiting till this hits the bargain bin. I don't want to encourage SE to continue to milk their franchises in this way.
This gen has been terrible for the Japanese side of SE... bleh :/ I miss the company that brought me FF VI, Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, heck even Chrono Cross and FF XII! So many amazing games over the years... but ever since the PS3 launched it's been nothing but a struggle for them.
They can regain some of my optimism if they'd release Bravely Default and FF Type-0 in the west though -__- Get a small team of translaters and just release them on the eShop and PSN if they are really that scared of them flopping. It can't be a terribly huge investment on their part. I look at what fans can do like fully translating Mother 3 and Fire Emblem 12, that has to be harder than digging into the actual code and yet it gets done.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Didn't Hitman Absolution not turn out too well? Then there is Tomb Raider.

Yes Absolution is a disgrace to the Hitman name, and the CroftCharted don't look like a real Tomb Raider game at all.

so yeah since Human Revolution there was nothing good from the western side of SE.

both sides are just as bad now,Wada should be proud of his work.

5Pq3g.jpg

wanders

Was there any shading or shadows in the town? Lol. Is SE trying to prove that they can make HD towns or something I swear the trailer made it seem all "look at the this town we put so much effort into! Suck it critics!"

Perfo

Was there any shading or shadows in the town? Lol. Is SE trying to prove that they can make HD towns or something I swear the trailer made it seem all "look at the this town we put so much effort into! Suck it critics!"

You can even see the rest of the city at distance at a certain time. They're actually trying hard making a fully explorable enviroment in a classic RPG structure mixed with new elements. This is just one city/town of many. I appreciate the efforts.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Lol. Is SE trying to prove that they can make HD towns or something I swear the trailer made it seem all "look at the this town we put so much effort into! Suck it critics!"

I think they're trying to prove that making HD towns is hard. "Look, we tried, alright? Happy now?"

Pooya

looks like there is some kind of first person view night vision thing? when "Final Journey of Lightning" shows up.... must be her magical shades I guess.

Mr.Fresh

Yes Absolution is a disgrace to the Hitman name, and the CroftCharted don't look like a real Tomb Raider game at all.

so yeah since Human Revolution there was nothing good from the western side of SE.

both sides are just as bad now,Wada should be proud of his work.

Sleeping Dogs was pretty good. Unless you meant in house.

GCX

At least up to this point FF has always had an interesting and vibrant visual design.

Now it seems like Lightning's hair is the only non-brown/grey thing in the whole game.

he still can do good stuff (the Sasuke dude and his friends from Versus 13, Type-0 characters) here he might just drawing what Toryimama want.

I actually think the main character in Versus looks terrible. His junior high school asian boy haircut doesn't work with the rest of his look lol. His friends look more normal though.

sonicmj1

Well, Lightning's character design looks alright in motion, so that's a plus.

The rest of the trailer looks at least six months too early. Bad framerate, poor UI, bland, underpopulated environments... it makes me think they don't have anything beyond whatever vertical slice they put out to get this thing greenlit.

The combat system seems pretty interesting, but it's hard to feel excited when everything else looks so undercooked. If this was all they had, they shouldn't have bothered to release anything.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
It might play alright and be a decent game but judging by the trailer it isn't. The town geometry looked like PS2-gen. Nothing about the "trailer" felt like anything other than 3 rooms, 3 recycled enemies and some new gui and a few outtakes from the voice actor.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Yeah, nothing about that got me excited. I'm not as hate filled as some people around here about it, but I understand being completely underwhelmed about it. I guess the combination of the Final Fantasy 13 projects being reviled around here, and the fact that this trailer was just...well boring, is a bad mixture.

Bleep

This really looks bizarre. It looks like a prototype, not something that would be shown off in a trailer. The battle scene reminds me of a PS1 game in composition; a clear flat area with a weird layout of buildings surrounding the area that makes no sense to block off the area. They haven't even put in any details behind the first layer of buildings, not even adjusting the skybox to give an illusion of there being more than just an arena in vast nothingness.

captureqjjpb.png

Perfo

They haven't even put in any details behind the first layer of buildings, not even adjusting the skybox to give an illusion of there being more than just an arena in vast nothingness.

captureqjjpb.png

Not that XIII and XIII's battle arenas were that much different remember? Anyway this is still a work in progress.

Go_Ly_Dow

watched again.

i hope they iron out the framerate.

in comparison to other towns, Academia or Eden it no where near as impressive.

This really looks bizarre. It looks like a prototype, not something that would be shown off in a trailer. The battle scene reminds me of a PS1 game in composition; a clear flat area with a weird layout of buildings surrounding the area that makes no sense to block off the area. They haven't even put in any details behind the first layer of buildings, not even adjusting the skybox to give an illusion of there being more than just an arena in vast nothingness.

captureqjjpb.png

I get what you are proving here but FF13/13-2 battle backgrounds weren't any better. Do not mistake battle background with non-battle background.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom