• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDenny

Why do the background environments look like paper cut outs almost? Reminds me almost of Paper Mario. It makes Lightning pop out so much because of it. She looks completely out of place in this world whenever I see her fighting or even running around casually.
They don't know how to make HD towns, so they had to borrow FFVIII's blueprint from the final fantasy vault.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Holy shit there wasn't a single thing in that trailer that looked attractive.

Environments, UI, character design, even more cluttered battle system, terrible VA..

Okay I'll give them free roam animations at max. I can't believe the XIII series has regressed so far artistically alone.

Akainu

I was just thinking why do the animations have to be so over the top? Did she need to do that flip when climbing the ladder?

duckroll

Wow that was really, really bad. It looked really janky. It's definitely still the Crystal Tools engine. The animations are choppy as fuck. The battles looked really slow. Everything just looked like a bad joke. Like some amateur prototype thing rushed together by a bunch of students who forgot about the project deadline.

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SQUARE ENIX? :(

I was just thinking why do the animations have to be so over the top? Did she need to do that flip when climbing the ladder?

Because it is easily to have one exaggerated canned animation like that, than to create a more natural animation which might not work on every single ladder in the game. Awful.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I can't believe the XIII series has regressed so far artistically alone.
Yeah, that's the surprising thing right, they seem hellbent on churning out an FF game every two years that quality has taken a back seat. Sure, framerate and other things could be excused since the game is in development, but the art style? That's one thing they have always got it right, but it looks like a mess here. That town looks completely soulless; who would enjoy doing sidequests and other stuff there? It technically looks worse than FFXIII-2, and it seems that shorter development time isn't really suited for the FF brand. I guess we could say that Crystal Tools is the culprit here, but I don't understand how they greenlit this trailer.

The only salvageable thing from that trailer is Lightning's cape~

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeah, that's the surprising thing right, they seem hellbent on churning out an FF game every two years that quality has taken a back seat. Sure, framerate and other things could be excused since the game is in development, but the art style? That's one thing they have always got it right, but it looks like a mess here. That town looks completely soulless, who would enjoy doing sidequests and other stuff there? It technically looks worse than FFXIII-2, and it seems shorter development times isn't really suited for the FF brand. I guess we could say Crystal Tools is the culprit here, but I don't understand how they greenlit this trailer.
I don't play or like JRPGs generally, but the beautiful art of FFXIII alone is what made me check it out and finish it.

I thought the Lightning as a knight kind of thing was really awesome as I love her character design and it was a nice twist that showed some promise in FFXIII-2, but when gameplay details came out and I saw footage of the environments, I couldn't be bothered. This is just heading further in that direction. It's lost it's charm so to speak.

Gorillaz

That Math Station sign was hilarious. Like I said before, I think they are purposely just not giving a shit anymore.

EDIT: I was in the exact same boat enzo. I honestly got into XIII due to a roommate playing it and the battle them.

Actually. The battle theme "Blinded by light" was what pushed me mainly to buy it in the first place.

duckroll

The more I think about it, the more I feel this entire thing is just a pile of hot garbage. I can't believe it's happening. I was actually pretty interested in the concept, and what they talked about, but always hesitant about whether they could pull it off. This trailers shows just what everyone has been really thinking of - how the fuck can they adapt the same engine and save money and still make a good action driven open world-ish game with Lightning? The answer is THEY FUCKING CAN'T.

Yuck.

Khezu

Wow... that was not good, like everything about it was terrible, and the sunglasses scene, really?

The hell is Square doing?

People may call me crazy but... I still like Lightning's design:p
For the rest of the game... Man that city looked so generic. And that framerate... :/

CorvoSol

Wow that was really, really bad. It looked really janky. It's definitely still the Crystal Tools engine. The animations are choppy as fuck. The battles looked really slow. Everything just looked like a bad joke. Like some amateur prototype thing rushed together by a bunch of students who forgot about the project deadline.

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SQUARE ENIX? :(

Because it is easily to have one exaggerated canned animation like that, than to create a more natural animation which might not work on every single ladder in the game. Awful.

It looked the same choppy as XIII2 to me.

I didn't mind the outfit at first, but seeing it in motion when she runs with her back facing the camera... well, it looks like a mess of cloth going all over the place.

She looks like she's wearing really baggy pants....with a second pair draping off her back/shoulders. I usually find that Nomura gets attacked way too unfairly but this was just not an attractive design. And wow at those sunglasses. So tacky/cheesy.

Diablos

This game looks HORRIBLE.

HORRIBLE.

I have NEVER had such a bad reaction to the first glimpse into an upcoming FF and I've been playing since VII.

Shit this out already and get to steppin' on Versus, please.

It's a new low for the franchise... I don't even think I will buy this.

Thoraxes

I'm surprised more people weren't talking about the similarities to Back to the Future when she's standing in front of that clock face with the sunglasses lol

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
The more I think about it, the more I feel this entire thing is just a pile of hot garbage. I can't believe it's happening. I was actually pretty interested in the concept, and what they talked about, but always hesitant about whether they could pull it off. This trailers shows just what everyone has been really thinking of - how the fuck can they adapt the same engine and save money and still make a good action driven open world-ish game with Lightning? The answer is THEY FUCKING CAN'T.

Yuck.

What amazes me is that they gave the OK to release the trailer with that footage. The game looks like complete trash and they were ok with it? Something's not right in that company.

the whole stripper pole thing makes me smh. this company keeps fumbling around like they are fucking amateurs.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Square Enix needs to fire a lot of the management in their Japan ff studios and just move onto FF15/whatever with new talent and get Eidos supervising them. Square Enix japan is such a joke now, what the hell has happened?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I don't play or like JRPGs generally, but the beautiful art of FFXIII alone is what made me check it out and finish it.

I thought the Lightning as a knight kind of thing was really awesome as I love her character design and it was a nice twist that showed some promise in FFXIII-2, but when gameplay details came out and I saw footage of the environments, I couldn't be bothered. This is just heading further in that direction. It's lost it's charm so to speak.
Lightning was always a promising character, but she never got the game that really brought out her qualities. Look at this trailer, she puts on sunglasses to signify how cool she is, and that basically shows the thought process of the team developing this game. I initially thought they might do justice to her with this game since the entire game is designed around her, but this trailer put a stop a that.

Also, I agree with you on FFXIII. The art design of that game was fabulous, but that was a game where the team was determined to make a big impact and it wasn't really a cheap recycled cash grab like FFXIII-2 and LR are. I'll probably wait for more footage before completely writing off LR though, but man... this trailer stung bad.

Caelestis

I am really curious if this is just an early build or SE thinks the game is presentable the way it is shown in this trailer. I'll be hoping for the former, but knowing SE it's better to kill the hope early.

SOLDIER

This is the end result of a budget release that continues to use the terrible Crystal Tools engine (which everyone else at Square had the sense to abandon) and a director whose priorities don't gel with what made the older games great.

With the promise of a newer and easier to use engine for next gen consoles and a team of newer, younger people to take up the reigns, the best thing that can happen to Final Fantasy will be when this game is finished, released, and forgotten. With FFXIV 2.0, FFXV, and hopefully Type-0 and Versus, the best thing about Lightning Returns is that things will finally pick up for the series after it's released.

Hopefully.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I expected a better trailer actually, especially coming from Square Enix. Maybe they didn't have the time to cut a decent one or they didn't have a good director directing it. This is obviously not Nomura's work afterall. That said, I'd like to point out a couple of things:

1) They finally updated the engine and Lightning's model

2) They finally ventured in 2013 with the genre and inserted interaction with the enviroment: welcome here jRPGs!

3) They're obviously trying to cater the western audience with that setting and atmospheres that calls back to Dragon Age and similars

4) The game is still obviously in early development, thus the shitty framerate. They needed to go for more cutscenes and less action in this state. So just a situation of wrong marketing and not wrong game. Maybe just a CGI trailer could've been enough.

edit.

5) They really like Assassin's Creed. Lightning's design, the city's design, and the action taking place are all... inspired by Ezio.

duckroll

It looked the same choppy as XIII2 to me.

XIII-2 is not an exploration game with action battles though. Having the same shitty performance (which people already hated in that game) and making a game concept which makes those flaws even more obvious... is just total incompetence.

I expected a better trailer actually, especially coming from Square Enix. Maybe they didn't have the time to cut a decent one or they didn't have a good director directing it. This is obviously not Nomura's work afterall. That said, I'd like to point out a couple of things:

1) They finally updated the engine and Lightning's model

2) They finally ventured in 2013 with the genre and inserted interaction with the enviroment: welcome here jRPGs!

3) They're obviously trying to cater the western audience with that setting and atmospheres that calls back to Dragon Age and similars

4) The game is still obviously in early development, thus the shitty framerate. They needed to go for more cutscenes and less action in this state. So just a situation of wrong marketing and not wrong game. Maybe just a CGI trailer could've been enough.

Yeah, it should have been all CGI. Same thing they did for XIII-2's first reveal would have been fine.

Pooya

I was seriously depressed last night :\

not anymore. this game is exactly what they need, if this gets panned out there again ala FF14, and that looks very possible looking at that so called "trailer", maybe they finally take a hint they are doing a horrible job and some much needed, long overdue change happens over there with certain heads start rolling, maybe.

this video just proving what I've been thinking for a while that they have no idea what they want to do anymore and just throwing shit from other popular games at the wall without any thought and looks like don't even care if it sticks or not...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom