• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumored Chinese Forum Xbox720 specs: 8CoreCPU,8GB,HD8800GPU,W8,640GBHDD

Not really. High end cards back then were 150W TDP.

I'm curious about this honestly. Is there any reason why these systems have to be the same as previous gen regarding wattage?

Xbox 1 for example was 70W if I remember correctly. 360 more than doubled if true.

Not only that, but if high end cards were using 150 W back then, then the 360 did admirably by being a full system using ~160W.

The funny part is that the 1st insider threatens to unveil the specs if MS don't, probably to show off and boast but as soon as the 2nd leaker who doesn't give a fucks leaks the info and skips the melodrama, the 1st dude reports him to MS lol!

Snitches get Stitches, right where it hurts (Butthurt, to be exact).

Durante

Sounds like you're incessantly downplaying it more than anything else, probably because you don't want it to be anywhere near a high-end PC.
Yes, that must be it. Or maybe I'm trying to give people a more balanced idea of what to expect in terms of architecture, from a position of someone who knows that there is more to CPU performance than just a core count, or a thread count, or an operating frequency.

Also, an accusation of favoritism coming from you is rich indeed.

8 cores, a customized 88xx GPU, 8 gigs of ram, in a closed-box development platform, this is a monster.
No, it's not. 8 Gigabytes of DDR3 aren't monster-like. Neither is a GPU from a mid-range series. And neither are 8 Jaguar cores. As I said earlier, it's certainly far from a Wii (U) like product, but it also doesn't seem as close to the technological high-end as 360 was at the time of its release.

quest

Not Banned from OT
doh, forgot about that :)

it would be nice if both sony and MS moved towards promoting digital by either selling at a lower price, or releasing slightly before "street dates". wouldnt this be in their best interests and get them a larger piece of the pie?

Be nice but they are scared of the big retailers. On the PC side there has been nothing on the retail front for a very long time hence steam prices and not being scared of retail. MS and Sony worst fear is walmart and other big chains pull the console because they can't make any money off them because people buying the games on PSN/XBL at big discounts.

Eideka

Banned

Yep, the guy has something against PC gaming and the harder he tries to hide it, the more obvious his agenda becomes.

As much as he hates to admit it, the Durango is not on par with a high-end PC of 2012 unlike so many people seemed to believe (and I was one of them).

doh, forgot about that :)

it would be nice if both sony and MS moved towards promoting digital by either selling at a lower price, or releasing slightly before "street dates". wouldnt this be in their best interests and get them a larger piece of the pie?

I'd much prefer that, in fact that's what I believe it should be. I overlooked Ghost Recon earlier in the year and in November I thought of picking it up and saw that it was on PS Store. Couldn't believe the price of like 65euro for a digital version of the game. Never mind that it was months after release that would be a scandalous price Day 1, especially when you could pick up a disc copy for circa 50-55euro here.

dankir

So doesn't it have to be called Xbox 8 now?

8 GB ram, 8 cores, 640 GB is a multiple of 8, I'm sure it'll run Windows 8, etc.

Acheteedo

Also, if the Ubi guy is threatening to spill the beans on 720's dedicated OS RAM if MS don't reveal it themselves, surely we are to infer that the amount of RAM dedicated to the OS is pretty damn big, why else would he make the threat?

Perkel

Banned
Yes, that must be it. Or maybe I'm trying to give people a more balanced idea of what to expect in terms of architecture, from a position of someone who knows that there is more to CPU performance than just a core count, or a thread count, or an operating frequency.

No, it's not. 8 Gigabytes of DDR3 aren't monster-like. Neither is a GPU from a mid-range series. And neither are 8 Jaguar cores. As I said earlier, it's certainly far from a Wii (U) like product, but it also doesn't seem as close to the technological high-end as 360 was at the time of its release.

8GB of ram which we don't know anything about could be DDR3/4 or devided 2GB GDDR5 + 6GB DD3/4 , 8 cores and again which don't know anything about maybe jaguar maybe something else and finally GPU which we don't know how will be customized especially if it will have eDram.

Also other poster said it right. Closed platform will do leaps above same hardware in PC. Not because it is better but because developers will learn to use it well.

ghst

thanks for the laugh

a 2.5tflop gpu would put it in the raw performance realm of a two-year old high end card, which is about what a lot of us were expecting.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The funny part is that the 1st insider threatens to unveil the specs if MS don't, probably to show off and boast but as soon as the 2nd leaker who doesn't give a fucks leaks the info and skips the melodrama, the 1st dude reports him to MS lol!

and yet if the first guy didn't publicly say he'd report to MS, people would have considered the rumours as just that - rumours. His action did more to solidify them than the leaker.

Durante

I'm curious about this honestly. Is there any reason why these systems have to be the same as previous gen regarding wattage?

Xbox 1 for example was 70W if I remember correctly. 360 more than doubled if true.

Further increasing Wattage increases one or more of the following:
(1) size
(2) noise
(3) cost of cooling solution

PCs usually get by on (1) and (3). Initial PS3s mostly on (3) with a bit of (1). Initial 360 (unsuccessfully) went with (2) for the most part.

But increasing the size and cooling to modern high-end PC standards is probably not feasibly in a console.

i-Lo

Also, if the Ubi guy is threatening to spill the beans on 720's dedicated OS RAM if MS don't reveal it themselves, surely we are to infer that the amount of RAM dedicated to the OS is pretty damn big, why else would he make the threat?

Who what where? What's this all talk of snitches getting snitched on and threats?

Karak

Well, in China 8 is the lucky number :/

1 is the loneliest number:(
And your question about what leaking exacts could be(if these were exacts) heavy fines, jail time, depending on the signature of the NDA and if he came upon the information himself or elsewhere. Lots of caveats.

So doesn't it have to be called Xbox 8 now?

8 GB ram, 8 cores, 640 GB is a multiple of 8, I'm sure it'll run Windows 8, etc.

For a console they probably expect to last 5-8 years, I doubt Xbox 8 is a wise name considering there will probably be a Windows 9 and 10 during the lifetime of the console. I'd say IGN's guess that it will simply be called Xbox is probably closer to the truth. No idea though.

I don't think some people know what a monster system is any more .
For Sony or MS to get those types of system they would have to say fuck TDP which not happening .
for eg 8GB of DDR3 in 2013 is no way high end if they go with that .

DieH@rd

Banned

2 cpu cores and 3 gb of ram dedicated to OS... at least that's the rumor.

1 is the loneliest number:(
And your question about what leaking exacts could be(if these were exacts) heavy fines, jail time, depending on the signature of the NDA and if he came upon the information himself or elsewhere. Lots of caveats.

I know, for example I know that releasing information about games will usually go up to 5000 USD here but for these type of leaks I don't think the attention or "fame" worth all the troubles.

Majmun

Are those specs impressives compared to current high-end rigs?

If so, I really wonder what the pricing will be. I bet it'll be something like $449

Specs are fun, but I'm still waiting for feature leaks. As others have said, PS4 and Xbox will most likely be in the same ballpark for power, so features will differentiate them. Cookie to the first company that lets me sleep my console.

Karak

what could they possibly be doing that the 360 doesn't that requires reserving so many resources?

It already doesn't require that much. But a final product will most likely be 1:1.
Passthrough stuff, as well as typical OS functions and feature switching without large delays. Various things like that can eat up a bit. Also they RESERVE it.
Not use it.

It's not devkit specs.

There is 8gb of ram in the final unit.

Well hello sir!

If so, I really wonder what the pricing will be. I bet it'll be something like $449
Taking away heavy OS bullshit and removing the typical windows stuff. They are acceptable for a console ignoring the already known custom revisions on the CPU and GPU that are going in.

Uhm... They don't buy stuff off the shelf and stick it in. The chip has to be finalized at this point.

Usually AMD or whatever manufacturer develop the target gpu which is heavily customized while developers use an off shelf gpu that mimics the target gpu. I don't know how old this info is but I seriously doubt there is an amd 8xxx in any of the dev kits. (maybe in the final?). I'm assuming for now this info are target specs.

Perkel

Banned

depend on what we call high end.

8 cores from IBM should do leaps and bounds above what we have in PC as usual.
8xxx GPU is unknown
8 GB or ram is rather mediacore if it is DD3, but could be good if it would include 2GB GDDR3 and 6GB DD3. Also there is mentioned stacking DD4 so this is still big unknown.

Low prediction - mediacore PC which would be good because it is closed platform.
Highest prediction - Only minimally worse to high end PC and thanks to closed platform should deliver better looking games (but not on resolution part).

Karak

This is legit ?

What could eat that much ?

Again. Its a reservation for the revised kit. Not sure if that is the final. Like I said they will shoot for 1:1 obviously. But reserved is different from used currently. They are planning for a future and for expansion.

quest

Not Banned from OT
This is legit ?

What could eat that much ?

I would not be suprised at all. The reason be for bigger better apps to compete with other set top boxes. Quicker loading time of said apps and multi-tasking better web browser. Quick switching like the vita has between a game and the OS ect. Lots of uses for a gig of ram for the OS these days. There will be a lot more expected app wise this time around.

Top Bottom