• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Next Xbox To Feature Ray Tracing, 1TB NVMe SSD Storage; DevKit To Release After GDC 2019

Bergoglio

From the rumor:

Studios in current negotiations

- Asobo Studio
- IO Interactive
- Platinum Games
-Turtle Rock Studios
-Blue Point Games
-Relic Entertainment
-The Farm 51

- And a few more studios from UK, France, Germany, Poland, Ukraine, Finland, Canada, Japan, Korea.

- Microsoft wants great talents and diversity around the world

- They don't have a target number or something like that

- Next Xbox launch game: Halo Infinite (crossgen), Forza Motorsport (crossgen + first ray tracing game), Age of Empires 4 (crossgen) , Perfect Dark, Killer instinct, Bleeding Edge (crossgen)

-and few more surprises, the first year of xbox next will be the best lineup of all time. Some old franchise will return, new IPs from new devs, exclusive Japan games, exclusive spy game, and a lot more.

- Microsoft have some bomb to drop in the next months, crazy shits are happening, games you expect, some games you don't expect at all, some BIG acquisition, some big crazy service and much more.

- i want to tell a lot more things, but I don't want to drop all the surprises.

- I know some of you don't believe now, but as soon as possibile, a lot of this will come to the light.

lefty1117

Gold Member
I think MS will be OK with losing money on hardware sales for the first two years in order to win the install-base battle again. The hardware costs will continue to fall during the lifecycle, meanwhile they can mine that larger install base for more software & services sales. I'm expecting high end specs sold at a price that equals a loss for MS.

Last edited:

TBiddy

Microsoft is rolling in the cash on XBL, Game Pass and the usage of Azure to store data and host servers for gaming companies. They wouldn't have a problem selling the hardware at cost or at a small loss.

nowhat

- Platinum Games
-Blue Point Games
Yeaaah... gonna need more than rumours to believe either. Especially Bluepoint.

Although Platinum is kinda believable. They already have a good working relationship with Microsoft. (insert sarcasm tag here)

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Vega 56 on 7nm with better architecture or whatever.
8/8 shitty budget version of ryzen cpu which gives them a bit more oomp to work with
16gb ddr6, basically double the memory pool which will be enough.
1tb hdd with maybe some hybrid ssd solution in it forgot the name of those to make it seem more better.

Premium model, they can do whatever they want. Consoles are PC's now and i wouldn't put it behind micorsoft to release a full blown mini PC with top end hardware that you can switch out.

Last edited:
Price difference is minimal. Here is another example:

Crucial P1 1TB 3D NAND NVMe

Given the mass production and adoption rate of these consoles, cost will continuously go down. I would highly be surprised if either Microsoft/Sony continue to use a spindle HDD.

I highly doubt the cost goes down to the point where it’s feasible for a box under 500 dollars.

I’ll believe a hybrid drive could be in the actual specs

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
It's possible. Biggest difference with Scorpio Devkit and final console was storage, could be the case here too. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.
? Eh, the biggest difference is that the Scorpio devkit has double the ram of the retail kit, at 24 GB GDDR5.

See also: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/..._Project_Scorpio_and_its_brandnew_dev_kit.php
AMD-Carrizo-APU-Stacked-Memory.jpg

amd-iedm-2017-35-1024x573.png
Oh good! I love images with zero context attached to them! You do know the first pic is almost 5 years old, no?
The bottom picture talks about stacking of memory, NVRAM, which is likely speaking about HBM memory.

Again, without context or nuance it is impossible to tell what you want to say.
What is raytracing again? And what are some modern games that make the best use of it. My next-gen terminology has gotten rusty in the past year or so.
In computer graphics, ray tracing is a rendering technique for generating an image by tracing the path of light as pixels in an image plane and simulating the effects of its encounters with virtual objects.
  • Battlefield V
  • Assetto Corsa Competizione
  • Contro
  • Enlisted
  • Justice
  • Atomic Heart
  • JX3
  • MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries
  • Metro Exodus
  • ProjectDH from Nexon’s devCAT Studio
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider

ethomaz

Banned
Price difference is minimal. Here is another example:

Crucial P1 1TB 3D NAND NVMe

Given the mass production and adoption rate of these consoles, cost will continuously go down. I would highly be surprised if either Microsoft/Sony continue to use a spindle HDD.
I'm not sure what the point here.

1TB HDD is less than $30.

1TB SDD is more than $130.

There is a $100 difference between them and memory chips are not going down... it is even possible to SDD go up.

Last edited:
It would be nice if at least the System OS was on SSD and the games were on HDD.

On another note, IO Interactive would be a great purchase.

Last edited:

McHuj

I'm not sure what the point here.

1TB HDD is less than $30.

1TB SDD is more than $130.

There is a $100 difference between them and memory chips are not going down... it is even possible to SDD go up.

No, every analysts prediction for SSDs is that they will continue to plummet over then year.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
a 1TB NVME ssd cost at least £130 (about ~£200-250 for a reputable brand with good performance) right now. sure prices will likely come down quite a bit but it will still be way more expensive than a 1TB HDD which right now cost about £40-55.

if they are gonna put an SSD in the Xbox then it'll likely be for the more expensive model. i'm not up to date on the rumours but i'd take a guess it something like this:

Xbox Two S: cheap budget model with no optical drive and containing a standard 5400rpm HDD
Xbox Two: standard model with optical drive and containing a standard 5400rpm HDD
Xbox Two E: expensive enthusiast model with SSD storage.

because Sony/Microsoft now know that people are willing to pay more for a higher end console then they will likely add in better hardware. so yeah i can see them sticking in an SSD but just don't get your hopes up for it being a reasonable price. The Xbox One X launched at £450 and that only had a HDD drive. My guess at the prices will be:

Xbox Two S: £300-350
Xbox Two: £350-400
Xbox Two E: £550-600

Last edited:
Microsoft is rolling in the cash on XBL, Game Pass and the usage of Azure to store data and host servers for gaming companies. They wouldn't have a problem selling the hardware at cost or at a small loss.

Im amazed people are still ignorant on gaming costs and small profit margins.

It's 2019 not 2001. MS losimg 1 billion I. 2001 is 3-4 billion now. So considering that they lost more than that in 20p1, and if they wanted to try and have a big opening ahead of the opponent the first year they are going to spend around a billion in marketing, 2 billion in partnerships, exclusives, and timed exclusives, a billion in services, and likely 1-2 billion in hardware losses the first year or two.

If you think any of that is feasible you're insane.

I tbink MS will have surprises for hardware due to MS' partners and software expertise but not the rumor in this thread. They would have to spend an unnecessary amount of money just to see if they can make up the hardware losses this would generate. Not to mention production costs.

Only way I see this is of Microsoft gets an unprecedented partnership with a vendor that arranged some deal for MS to get these rumored hardware specs for cheap.

Not likely.

onQ123

Because its a waste of resources that could otherwise go towards a better memory configuration or beefier GPU, its benefits are just not worth the current cost
A built in super fast 100GB cache only accessible to developers would have all the benefits without incurring in the ridiculous cost of 1TB nvme.

I rather have 32GB of super fast ram than 16GB + nvme
Even SSD pricing its not suitable for consoles, by the time PS6 they might replace HDD

Edit: could they use 100GB of nvram in the diagram you posted and have it be significantly cheaper than 1TB?
A hybrid HDD-nvram setup would be the best compromise, granted initial load times would be long but you could always switch the hdd for a ssd on your own to minimize load times

Waste of resources? The same thing could be said about 32GB of GDDR6 if the GPU isn't fast enough to take advantage of it for gaming?. Balance is also important why have 32GB of GDDR6 if it's being held back by the rest of the system?

Also 1TB of NVMe is $169 ( $144 sale) now but a die shrink & mass production will drop that price & there is also the benefits of having a smaller console if they remove the HDD .

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J2Q4SWZ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

image.jpg

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ct1000p1ssd8

TBiddy

Im amazed people are still ignorant on gaming costs and small profit margins.

It's 2019 not 2001. MS losimg 1 billion I. 2001 is 3-4 billion now. So considering that they lost more than that in 20p1, and if they wanted to try and have a big opening ahead of the opponent the first year they are going to spend around a billion in marketing, 2 billion in partnerships, exclusives, and timed exclusives, a billion in services, and likely 1-2 billion in hardware losses the first year or two.

If you think any of that is feasible you're insane.

I tbink MS will have surprises for hardware due to MS' partners and software expertise but not the rumor in this thread. They would have to spend an unnecessary amount of money just to see if they can make up the hardware losses this would generate. Not to mention production costs.

Only way I see this is of Microsoft gets an unprecedented partnership with a vendor that arranged some deal for MS to get these rumored hardware specs for cheap.

Not likely.

I have no idea what you're arguing, where you're pulling the numbers from and how on earth you concluced that "1 billion in 2001 is 3-4 billion now"?

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Yeaaah... gonna need more than rumours to believe either. Especially Bluepoint.

Although Platinum is kinda believable. They already have a good working relationship with Microsoft. (insert sarcasm tag here)

The way MS treated Platinum the last couple years....you sure about that?

Waste of resources? The same thing could be said about 32GB of GDDR6 if the GPU isn't fast enough to take advantage of it for gaming?. Balance is also important why have 32GB of GDDR6 if it's being held back by the rest of the system?

Also 1TB of NVMe is $169 ( $144 sale) now but a die shrink & mass production will drop that price & there is also the benefits of having a smaller console if they remove the HDD .

image.jpg

So NVMe aren't already mass produced? The next consoles will not have an SSD when you can get a 1TB HDD off the shelf for ~$35

Last edited:

Von Hugh

I can't see a console including even a $100 hard drive when the cost is fifth or fourth of the console price. With a $700 console I could believe it, though.

The priority is in CPU, GPU and RAM.

Blood Borne

It’s pretty reasonable to say that both Microsoft and Sony are targeting $400, therefore OP is having nocturnal emissions.

Dontero

Banned
I am so confused how many people just take raytracing and run away with it.

Fact is that there is only like 1 game supporting raytracing right now and all it amounts to is make some reflections nicer but if you would give same game 2 layman they would probably have issues with telling which looks better.
And this is at the cost of about 50% of performance.

It is clear that raytracing simply is not an option for console hardware at this moment which requires LOW COST and MASS MARKET.

As for PS4 becoming PS5 lite it actually makes a sense.
You can right now play BF5 with old CPU and old GPU on PC.
It makes no sense why you wouldn't be able to do that with consoles.

In my opinion next generation will be first generation where consoles will transition to pc/mobile model where playstation/xbox is just service while hardware made for it is completely swapable.

It makes no sense anymore to throw away users of old hardware. A lot of games don't need best hardware to run and they would be fine playing even on PS3 let alone PS4.

Last edited:

nowhat

The way MS treated Platinum the last couple years....you sure about that?
So you missed "insert sarcasm tag here"?

Gawd, what does it take for people to understand sarcasm online nowadays? Is there like a specific emoji I'm supposed to use?

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
And if you look at the consoles history, the devs always primarily wanted more memory - no one complaines about low-mid range GPUs, tablet-grade CPU, lack of optical disc space, too exotic architecture and so on, it's always been all about the memory. So I'd say the more the better, ditch expensive GDDR6 and stay with GDDR5 if required, just boost the clocks for more bandwidth.

AMD has expressed that Navi will either be using HBM or GDDR6. From the pcgamesn article:

AMD Navi GPUs don’t have to be tied to HBM2 it “can also work very well with GDDR6”
"But we are fully committed to HBM and we’re going to be fully committed to GDDR6, and let the best solution win." -Scott Herkelman, VP Radeon Gaming

I have my doubts that $400 Navi-based consoles will even match an OC'd RTX 2060 6GB, let alone the RTX 2080 with it's "paltry" 8GB GDDR6. So they should be ok with 16GB GDDR6 and maybe 1-2GB DDR3/DDR4 for the OS to use for certain background functions like the PS4 Pro has.

image.jpg

Holy shit this stuff got cheap fast. I swear it was like $500 just last year!?!

Yep i'm definitely saying we'll get ssd next gen in some form if not nvme but damn it's a possibility!

The benefits of a $60 1TB NVMe in a new console out weigh the benefits of having a $35 or even a $10 1TB HDD
I agree with you, but logically I don't see it happening. I also do not see a $60 1TB NVMe happening either, that's years away. But, it's also one of those things that I would be pleasantly surprised about.

Last edited:

Lone Wolf

AMD has expressed that Navi will either be using HBM or GDDR6. From the pcgamesn article:

I have my doubts that $400 Navi-based consoles will even match an OC'd RTX 2060 6GB, let alone the RTX 2080 with it's "paltry" 8GB GDDR6. So they should be ok with 16GB GDDR6 and maybe 1-2GB DDR3/DDR4 for the OS to use for certain background functions like the PS4 Pro has.
Next Xbox ( the premium model) will probably be $500

onQ123

I agree with you, but logically I don't see it happening. I also do not see a $60 1TB NVMe happening either, that's years away. But, it's also one of those things that I would be pleasantly surprised about.

Holding on to old tech can cost you more than taking a up front loss for new tech .

(I'll be back I have some new PS5 VR controller patents to dig through)

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Shouldn't it be a 4 GB DDR4 stick for the OS?

LordOfChaos

Highest capacity NAND is 7 cents a gigabyte right now, does not include the SSD controller and package...Seems like too much when that cost could go to the rest of the system.

Been saying that something like 24GB of NAND on the motherboard caching a larger capacity hard drive automatically will be the best solution for next gen.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
All this waffle when we all know next gen's games are going to be basically the same as this gen's only slightly prettier....

Seriously, the most notable thing about next gen is likely going to be the CPU side getting a significant upgrade, but really that's about it.

Holding on to old tech can cost you more than taking a up front loss for new tech .

(I'll be back I have some new PS5 VR controller patents to dig through)
Maybe, but you are talking about a company that does not mind revising their hardware every couple years.

LostDonkey

The thing is for all the jokes,

Sony:
PS1 - 3MB
PS2 - 36MB (12x more than PS1 )
PS3 - 512MB (14x more than PS2)
PS4 - 8192MB (16x more than PS3)
PS5 - ?????

Microsoft:
Xbox - 64MB
360 - 522MB (approx. 8x more than Xbox)
One - 8224MB (approx. 16x more than 360)
Xbox 4 - ?????

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The thing is for all the jokes,

Sony:
PS1 - 3MB
PS2 - 36MB (12x more than PS1 )
PS3 - 512MB (14x more than PS2)
PS4 - 8192MB (16x more than PS3)
PS5 - ?????

Microsoft:
Xbox - 64MB
360 - 522MB (approx. 8x more than Xbox)
One - 8224MB (approx. 16x more than 360)
Xbox 4 - ?????

Yeah, that's not happening this time around.

Last edited:

Mega Man

If this next console is going to operate as a "streaming box" with cloud saves, how much SSD space would they need for the OS?

<speculation>We have to figure Microsoft is going to do away with as much physical, and push service based cost at this point. They have the PC market cornered for anyone still wanting the game locally. Controllers are compatible with Windows if the user chooses to go that route. Now they will simply try to access the Netflix crowd with an affordable box to place in your entertainment center. The SSD will take care of the OS. Everything will be run from a hanger in New Mexico with generators for days. </speculation>

Three

Guys what if the NVMe SSD is an optional expansion slot you have to buy separately. N64 ram paks here we come!!

NickFire

As someone who follows video game news but knows little about the technology under the hood (other than basic cpu, gpu, ram, storage, etc.), all of these streaming expectations just don't make sense to me. It was only a few years ago where just requiring a constant internet connection was deemed unacceptable to many because of internet access concerns. It just seems like a big stretch that in 5-6 years we not only improved bandwidth enough for constant access, but also to stream high end processing without materially screwing up the game with lag. But again, I am just a lay person without expertise, so what do I know really?

Mega Man

As someone who follows video game news but knows little about the technology under the hood (other than basic cpu, gpu, ram, storage, etc.), all of these streaming expectations just don't make sense to me. It was only a few years ago where just requiring a constant internet connection was deemed unacceptable to many because of internet access concerns. It just seems like a big stretch that in 5-6 years we not only improved bandwidth enough for constant access, but also to stream high end processing without materially screwing up the game with lag. But again, I am just a lay person without expertise, so what do I know really?
Technological advancement is exponential by nature, so to see this kind of growth in such a short time span is not unheard of as the windows of advancement continue to shorten. But they would seem to be alienating a lot of markets who do not have access to the consistent Internets...

NickFire

Technological advancement is exponential by nature, so to see this kind of growth in such a short time span is not unheard of as the windows of advancement continue to shorten. But they would seem to be alienating a lot of markets who do not have access to the consistent Internets...
I get that. I'm not really questioning the technology to allow it, just the means of delivery. Again, I am not savvy on that part at all. I'm just looking at it from the vantage point of not seeing all the existing delivery infrastructure massively changed.

Top Bottom