• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumored Chinese Forum Xbox720 specs: 8CoreCPU,8GB,HD8800GPU,W8,640GBHDD

Proelite

So what do we know about the hd 8800 exactly ?
Rebranded 7800 or not ? New card ? Average ? 2,5 tf ?
Those cards are not out yet from what I understand, and all I can find is a leaked document from last September that's not even accurate.

The card in the Durango will not be like anything like hd 8800 cards. It'll be better in most aspecs, and behind in some, i.e. compute.

The above is conjecture based on what's important in a console vs the pc.

Zabka

Is AMD still selling their multicore CPUs that are halfway between hyperthreading and full cores? I hope this isn't that BS.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
weebay.gif

The card in the Durango will not be like anything like hd 8800 cards. It'll be better in most aspecs, and behind in some, i.e. compute.

yeah, when people mention a card they're looking more or less at the numbers, not architecture or power.

sleepykyo

This is strange to me. Is there a reason for this? What about Europe makes the people there so "loyal" (I use that term loosely) to Sony?

My US perspective is Microsoft never really tried in Europe. Last I checked XBL gold doesn't have nearly as many services outside the US. But there a couple of indicators that Microsoft is making a bigger push.

eg.
Adding over 40 apps globally.
Hiring Phil Harrison to run European game development.

ghst

thanks for the laugh

depends if it's based on the mobile chip and how much eDRAM it'll have to compensate for the lack of dedicated VRAM.

basically all what know is that it won't be stellar bleeding edge tech or dogshit obsolete media centre tech. the gambler in me would put down money on a 2-2.5tflop GPU and a $399 price tag.

i'd also wager that the game has recently changed for MS and it's a significantly more capable and power hungry machine than they had originally planned.

Branding? Why people think europeans are more stupid of american & choice the playstation just for the branding?:/ Honestly I think the era of sony brand is dead time ago. Simply, microsoft smell of american in everything where the playstation seems more a 'universal' console, but it's just my opinion. & Lol at the marketing, sorry but absolutely no, SCEE management it's really terrible & superficial compared SCEA (& it's not that great too).

Huh? Since when did he say anything about Europeans being stupid? Saying that the playstation brand name is strong in Europe isn't an insult. Europe has traditionally been sonys strongest market and it's the one where the other 2 have struggled the most.

The playstation was really the first big console in Europe and i have no doubt that the strong brand recognition plays a big role in PS3's success. The same thing will happen in the UK and US next gen, people know the xbox brand and that's a big reason why it will remain strong next gen.

My US perspective is Microsoft never really tried in Europe. Last I checked XBL gold doesn't have nearly as many services outside the US. But there a couple of indicators that Microsoft is making a bigger push.

eg.
Adding over 40 apps globally.
Hiring Phil Harrison to run European game development.

This is a very good point and it is the xboxs biggest problem in Europe imo. If live is the consoles best selling point you can't expect the console to perform as well outside of English speaking countries when everyone else misses out on a lot of services.

omonimo

Banned
Huh? Since when did he say anything about Europeans being stupid? Saying that the playstation brand name is strong in Europe isn't an insult. Europe has traditionally been sonys strongest market and it's the one where the other 2 have struggled the most.

The playstation was really the first big console in Europe and i have no doubt that the strong brand recognition plays a big role in PS3's success. The same thing will happen in the UK and US next gen, people know the xbox brand and that's a big reason why it will remain strong next gen.

This is a very good point and it is the xboxs biggest problem in Europe imo. If live is the consoles best selling point you can't expect the console to perform as well outside of English speaking countries when everyone else misses out on a lot of services.

Quite OT but again you didn't said directly europeans are stupid, but you continue to claim xbox360 not sell more of ps3 just because offer less services than the US counterpart & not because ps3 is more close to europeans 'tastes'.

depends if it's based on the mobile chip and how much eDRAM it'll have to compensate for the lack of dedicated VRAM.

basically all what know is that it won't be stellar bleeding edge tech or dogshit obsolete media centre tech. the gambler in me would put down money on a 2-2.5tflop GPU and a $399 price tag.

i'd also wager that the game has recently changed for MS and it's a significantly more capable and power hungry machine than they had originally planned.

Any reason why?

kharma45

Is AMD still selling their multicore CPUs that are halfway between hyperthreading and full cores? I hope this isn't that BS.

They are yeah, although it has improved a good bit with Piledriver. If games were coded however to make use of the multi-threaded nature of the CPUs they've been putting out it could be interesting.

Satchel

Banned
I hope they dedicate 2GB ram to the OS alone.

6GB is still tonnes for games given what they currently achieve with 512mb.

aegies

fear of competetion forcing microsoft to play to developer needs in order to ensure support? It's hard to act like the boss when you've got apple, sony, nintendo, valve, and a bunch of linux or other competitors out there that are becoming increasingly better equiped.

There is a pretty significant discrepancy between what they were predicting for their system in 2010 versus what I expect will be in it this year. I think the delay played a part in it.

I hope not. A well designed console OS shouldn't need nearly that much. Hell a PC OS shouldn't need that much. Don't forget this thing is going to be out for years to come and have to last that long.

Reiko

Banned
Is that even possible? I can't think of a Sony aligned company. I guess Ted Price could announce Insomniac rebooting Banjo or Kameo, but I don't think anyone would care after Fuse.

Possibly Kojima shoulder tapping Mattrick showing off the Durango version of Ground Zeroes.

I hope not. A well designed console OS shouldn't need nearly that much. Hell a PC OS shouldn't need that much. Don't forget this thing is going to be out for years to come and have to last that long.

Also too as mentioned earlier in this thread, even if the system reserves x amount of space for the OS, it doesn't mean it's using all of that at launch, but will give MS the room to expand the OS in the future of the consoles life.

So i wonder what the lower power entertainment box specs will be? Assuming they follow through on that strategy, one SKU thats a monster for games and the lower price one for entertainment (Elite v arcade type situation)

Its true there is a market for an xbox just for the entertainment side, so it would be smart business to sell that market a box that isnt crazy expensive and has insane specs.

Mahonay

Banned
So i wonder what the lower power entertainment box specs will be? Assuming they follow through on that strategy, one SKU thats a monster for games and the lower price one for entertainment (Elite v arcade type situation)

Its true there is a market for an xbox just for the entertainment side, so it would be smart business to sell that market a box that isnt crazy expensive and has insane specs.
Maybe something that's even a smaller form factor than the fully spec'd SKU.

KageMaru

Title is quite confusing when the OP deals with the dev kits. Haven't dev kits historically had higher specs than the retail version?

Historically? There have been examples like the CPU in earlier 360 kits or the GPU for earlier PS3 kits. However, I don't think it's as common as you imply here.

Has nothing to do with Microsoft, they can only provide stuff that's available to offer in a country.

Crazy how many people miss this fact.

2GB for a console OS is insane.

saunderez

Also too as mentioned earlier in this thread, even if the system reserves x amount of space for the OS, it doesn't mean it's using all of that at launch, but will give MS the room to expand the OS in the future of the consoles life.

I like the idea of the OS having its own memory pool anyway. I want the guide button on the Nextbox to simply suspend the game and take me to the OS instantly, like how Nintendo handles it on the 3DS.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Any reason why?

this is all conjecture, but every rumour we had tended towards modesty. a profitable fortification of their post kinect console position and a valuable appendage of the W8 ecosystem.

given a combination of factors, i feel like MS is once again willing to take a bath on the hardware for the first couple of years at least:

- low power set top boxes from established names and smart TVs would have eaten the lunch of a more modest convergence device.

- W8 does not have a killer app. it, or some derivative will be absolutely central to the device. it's gone from being an appendage to likely be positioned as the W8/Blue/9 vanguard. it's all about the proprietary infrastructure.

- new consoles receiving tepid responses, accompanied by a lot of developer noise regarding the requirement of a significant leap.

- emerging technologies like the oculus rift and whatever hair brained kinect schemes are being cooked up will require significantly more grunt than media centre parts.

- ads are proving far more profitable than initially predicted, making hardware losses even better value as an opportunity cost

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
2GB for a console OS is insane.

I'm guessing it will be a branch of Windows 8 code. If they don't need 2 GB, then some can be standby and make multitasking snappy.

But fuck the ads.

Apath

Quite OT but again you didn't said directly europeans are stupid, but you continue to claim xbox360 not sell more of ps3 just because offer less services than the US counterpart & not because ps3 is more close to europeans 'tastes'.
How would stating that the 360 is weaker due to less application support and not because the PS3 fits European wants better, in any way, hint that Europeans are stupid?

Top Bottom