• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks Durango specs: x64 8-core CPU @1.6GHz, 8GB DDR3 + 32MB ESRAM, 50GB 6x BD...

Valnen

Are Microsoft and Sony not worried about customer outrage should they not have access to their digital libraries next gen? *sigh*

I hate to say that Sony's first party games that aren't Gran Turismo are actually detrimental to the brand, but they are.
What does this even mean? Sony's first party games are amazing.

i-Lo

I give preference to no one. I love my Sony exclusives, and I love Xbox Live. Bitchesbecrazy?

Na... you used to talk about how Sony may bring out a beast in vgleaks thread. So another way to look at it is that you "now" don't give preference to anyone.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I don't think that's possible, the eDRAM is there to "feed" the ROPS, and thus the ROPS must be in the same logic of the eDRAM in order to have them connected with a hi-speed bus.

I'm wondering if there was a misunderstanding here also.

Is anyone corroborating Proelite's info wrt that?

Midas

And that was way too slow to feed 512 megs of ram. Now we have 6x for 3 gigs plus?

( stating 3 gigs as the lowest standard for a game)

It would take 132 seconds to fill the 3584 MB of RAM if the drive is 6x. If I'm calculating this correct. :)

But do you really need to fill it up all at once?

pr0cs

some people just want to get teh system that will more likely provide them with the best possible games.

There is in no way shape or form enough information in all the threads on GAF added up to make any sane decision on that.
I stand by the statement that if you've already chosen one system over the other based on these 'perceived' power ratings you had no interest in the other system at all.

It all comes down to the games, services and software. Until you see what both companies have to offer you're really not much of a gamer to make a 'decision' already.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Also, how would controlling the thing work? For punch thru wouldn't the controller need infrared and line of sight etc.?

Several DVRs (TiVo for example) have LAN control. So for instance I have the TiVo iPad app that lets me browse the EPG, view my recordings, edit my season passes and start a recording playing or switch the channel. No IR, just communication over the network.

That would be ideal, but not all DVRs support it, hence my tiers.

For the life of me, I have never understood why people like backwards compatibility so much. I had an 80 GB Metal Gears Solid 4 PS3 and I think played maybe two PS2 games on the system since I've owned it. I buy new consoles to play new games.

it is vitally important in the early part of a new generation. games for the old console are still releasing and having bc makes sure you get through some really dry patches without any trouble.

this gen is also very different in how much some people have invested in their accounts. I've spent thousands across psn and xbox live arcade, to lose them would simply be unacceptable and would destroy any faith I have in eithers online ecosystem as well as severely limit the number of games I buy from either store.

thuway

Na... you used to talk about how Sony may bring out a beast in vgleaks thread. So another way to look at it that you "now" don't give preference to anyone.

Listen boys, I have an international flight to attend to, so I am about to sign off, but please, do not ever, put words in my mouth.

I have said this over and over again. Different engines will prefer either more bandwith or more memory. If your instincts are trying to tell you I have made a judgement on which system is more powerful, than you are wrong. This is a case by case scenario, if we look at things on paper, which only tells us 1/3rd of the story.

Man up folks, it's a long time till launch.

Thraktor

Compared to 360 and PS3 at launch, these systems seem somewhat low-end.

I very much doubt MS and Sony are willing to take the same initial losses they did last generation, though. I'm betting they'll each retail at $400, sold at a relatively small loss.

Looking at that VGleaks diagram again, I think they fucked up some f the custom hardware stuff. Specifically, there's a hardware block that they don't describe, pertaining to... well. I don't want to get anybody in trouble.

Well now you're just teasing :p

Spongebob

Banned
Thuway, what happened to you anyway?

Some months ago I remember you as the person who was clamoring for 2.5+TFLOPS GPUs and the such.

Honestly the "data move engines" don't sound like much at all. Especially looking at the hardware map. I wouldn't put too much thought into them.

Honestly I want to hear more about sony and their extra compute unit. It seems like more of a game changer. Maybe they snuck some SIMD power in there?

0042_9xswk.gif

Yeah. That is true. We are not asking for the source. We are asking for info. If that is not possible there is no point to keep saying I know and not mention anything.

I also get the feeling that a lot of these insiders are leaning toward Microsoft because Sony has been more tight-lipped and isn't keeping everyone in the loop. They're the real darkhorse in the middle of all of this. No one really has a clue what their focus is or what they're doing.

Jadedx

Banned
6x is more than adequate...i'm not sure if people are just looking for something to complain about or don't know much about tech.

Yeah, especially when you add in the fact that devs can now take advantage of the HDD since every console will have one.

Pika pika.

Durante

Not getting into which is supposedly more powerful, but comparisons with PC GPUs may not be valid depending on the level of customization done to this GPU. When you make a DX11 GPU, you design around the limitations of the API, no such limitations exist on consoles if budget provides.
I still don't believe that, if there were a way to simply improve GPU efficiency by 50%+, we wouldn't have seen the necessary API changes to facilitate it.

Large efficiency gains in particular scenarios I can see, but across the board?

i-Lo

Listen boys, I have an international flight to attend to, so I am about to sign off, but please, do not ever, put words in my mouth.

I have said this over and over again. Different engines will prefer either more bandwith or more memory. If your instincts are trying to tell you I have made a judgement on which system is more powerful, than you are wrong. This is a case by case scenario, if we look at things on paper, which only tells us 1/3rd of the story.

Man up folks, it's a long time till launch.

No, not putting word in your mouth but you used to speculate about we GPU capable of 2.5+TF was quite doable. At that time, people may or may not have thought you had insider information. Now, however, you have nailed down your info sources and are very diplomatic about what's what. It's not a judgement so calm down and enjoy the flight and try not to thrash about in the plane.

Some months ago I remember you as the person who was clamoring for 2.5+TFLOPS GPUs and the such.

No, not putting word in your mouth but you used to speculate about we GPU capable of 2.5+TF was quite doable. At that time, people may or may not have thought you had insider information. Now, however, you have nailed down your info sources and are very diplomatic about what's what. It's not a judgement so calm down and enjoy the flight and try not to thrash about in the plane.

That was before he found out his info then he started to change how he post .

thuway

Some months ago I remember you as the person who was clamoring 2.5+TFLOPS GPUs and the such.

I found out the real specs, and I accepted reality. This is not a game of black and white. GAF needs to rescind this rhetoric where "X > Y or Y > X", it isn't black and white, and the paper isn't telling us why. Until an actual developer comes out and proclaims reality, you are left to your own devices.

pixlexic

Banned
It would take 132 seconds to fill the 3584 MB of RAM if the drive is 6x. If I'm calculating this correct. :)

But do you really need to fill it up all at once?

There bit more added for seek times but 2 mins is very bad in itself.

and stream off disk is really dependent on the game. Just remember all the games the ps3 had to install to the hdd.

Satchel

Banned
Having all that RAM and now finally having a HDD as standard will lead to many great things.

Couldn't be more excited about these new consoles.

Now I await the intriguing chess match involving online infrastructure to continue.

whatever happened to the 2nd GPU?

remember all those rumors about there being a 2nd GPU.

there was even another rumor i saw on the semiaccurate forums mentioning that there's 2 blocks for the 720. 1 was the app block and the other was another system block that contained another cpu/gpu.

so confused now.

Honestly the "data move engines" don't sound like much at all. Especially looking at the hardware map. I wouldn't put too much thought into them.

Honestly I want to hear more about sony and their extra compute unit. It seems like more of a game changer. Maybe they snuck some SIMD power in there?
So do tell us what the Blocks do, I mean you surely know since you say they don't sound like they do much.

pixlexic

Banned
Yeah, especially when you add in the fact that devs can now take advantage of the HDD since every console will have one.

Pika pika.

hdd dont stop loads. There are still plenty of long load times on the ps3 with games installed. Plus you still get those micro pauses from content loading in.

though durangos massive amount ram should knock that right out.

i-Lo

That was before he found out his info then he started to change how he post .

And with it the wave of disillusionment washed over us. I liked thuway better when it was just speculation. Stuff was made of sweet dreams XD.

Oh well, guess we'll have to wait 6 more years to get what we really want "today".

Durante

Well, at least these specs ease my concerns when it comes to next-gen PC ports. I thought I may have to step back from 1440p for a year or so, but it seems that won't be necessary.

Really, explain more please. Because last time around you started trying to put words in ERP's post, and you didn't look too good.

So, just bombard us with the info you possess, and show all these other areas where PS4 has an advantage(it even merited an etc)?

LOL what? I explained pretty clearly why that post doesn't mean much and you who admit you don't know anything said "maybe its reasonable" or whatever. Lol, how are you gonna swear by something you have no clue about? The only one who "looks bad" is you.

Anyways,

Xbox is rumored to be a 800MHz part with 12 CUs for a theoretical peak of about 1.2TFLPS. I forget where this puts it on the consumer AMD scale but its not up with the 7970m(or 90% which the PS4 is rumored to be) . And lets not forget the "bespoke compute unit" the PS4 is supposed to have . The bandwidth and latency advantages are already apparent with GDDR5 vs DDR3.

Top Bottom