• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Mini no longer Canadian exclusive

Domstercool

Just saw this pop up on sites.

26th February 2013 – After nearly 100 million Wii consoles sold worldwide, the new look Wii Mini launches across UK on 22nd March. The latest addition to this family of home consoles offers great gameplay at great value, putting the focus squarely on games with over 1200 disc-based Wii titles to choose from.

Because UK getting another Wii helps the situation!

I have no idea if this is good or bad in the end but the naming will be confusing.

MLH

Terrible idea, the Wii U is already struggling in the UK. Releasing a Wii Mini would create further confusion and probably eat into Wii U's sales...

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
This probably isn't even the definitive Wii. I will wait till they release a little bit smaller Wii box that does nothing but consume electricity. Even then, Reggie still dropped the mini ball. Way to go NOA! Maybe we can get an exclusive field drab colored wiimote with no buttons here in America to tide us over?

Robin64

Yeah, wow. Wii U is doing terrible here, most people I speak to don't really know what it is or if it's different to a Wii other than "a tablet", and now they're confusing it a bit more with another differently named Wii.

Busty

Banned
Thank goodness they've answered our call for a gimped Wii!

If they were giving it away free in boxes of cereal then it's perfect. If they're expecting people to go into shops and actually buy it then less so.

Who is this aimed at? Aren't second hand Wiis dirt cheap in game stores at the moment?

This probably isn't even the definitive Wii. I will wait till they release a little bit smaller Wii box that does nothing but consume electricity.

..., and compete with the low end Steamboxs?

I keed.........., I keed.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I like Nintendo, but this is one of those times where I can't help wonder what the hell they're playing at. You have a new Wii U to market.

Also, the potential for confusion is great.

Nintendo UK's website said:
The Wii mini console does not connect to the Internet and does not support online features in games. Compatible with Wii software and most Wii accessories. Internet connectivity features are not available. The Wii mini console is not compatible with Nintendo GameCube Game Discs or accessories. Wii is a trademark of Nintendo. © 2012 Nintendo

No mention of the fact it doesn't work with Wii U games. Sigh.

tipoo

Banned
Awesome! Now the whole world can not care about it rather than just us Canadians.

Seriously. No component output, stuck with composite, no wifi, surely they could have dropped the non-mini wii to 100 while keeping those things.

Dat Fisher Price quality.

wii_mini_insider8d3p.jpg

Probably be £99 or £89?

You can get the original Wii with backwards compatibility (Mario Kart bundle) for £99.

DasMarcos

Banned
A 99 dollar console (a real 99 dollar one, I'm looking at you MS) in this day and age must be a steal for a lot of people. I think this was a really smart move from Nintendo.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Seriously. No component output, stuck with composite, no wifi, surely they could have dropped the non-mini wii to 100 while keeping those things.

Lots of people don't care about those things. People who did bought a Wii a long time ago. The sort of person who went 7 years without buying a Wii doesn't care about eShop, online play or component output. This is a stripped down console for kids to play NSMBWii and Wii Sports Resort on.

Dat Fisher Price quality.

wii_mini_insider8d3p.jpg

Actually I buy a lot of Fisher Price shit and tbh they make some sturdy stuff. :p Some of their toys have gone through 3 kids in my household so far, still going strong.

This wii-mini on the other hand wouldn't last 10 minutes with my one year old son

Is the European "Nintendo won't suggest a price" thing purely a response to the price-fixing issue, or is it more of a currency issue?

tipoo

Banned
Lots of people don't care about those things. People who did bought a Wii a long time ago. The sort of person who went 7 years without buying a Wii doesn't care about eShop, online play or component output. This is a stripped down console for kids to play NSMBWii and Wii Sports Resort on.

Even those people will be able to see the terrible composite signal.

Busty

Banned

This. The exact same thinking behind Sony's 'gimped' PSP that had no WiFi and was amied at kids.

Wii Mini is trending worldwide

But the real question is how many of those Tweets are positive.

Unless this thing is £50, I don't see how they expect to sell it. Normal Wii's are already under £100 and preowned ones are like £30. Where's the market for this?

Is the European "Nintendo won't suggest a price" thing purely a response to the price-fixing issue, or is it more of a currency issue?

Price fixing, Ninty haven't set a UK price for hardware since their giant fine for price fixing. Ironically it always leads to GAME selling at above what Nintendo where probably thinking as a MSRP going on how much their consoles sell in other territories ;(

Robin64

They'll set a price in Europe, but they haven't set one for anything in the UK since being told off. Retailers have full control over that. Probably why we have really expensive U consoles and games that aren't selling.

tkscz

Oh my fucking god why Nintendo? Why don't you want the WiiU to succeed? People already don't know that the WiiU isn't the Wii, and now you want to make it worse? What business sense does that even make!? Fucking kill off the Wii you business inept simpletons.

Dunlop

I remember seeing a palette of these unsold 2 days before xmas.Probably the same Canadian stock being shipped over to Europe :p

MarkusRJR

I actually own one of these (mainly as a back up Wii). It runs much cooler than the normal Wii, probably due to the smaller components. The only thing I don't like is the lack of internet and 480p, but I knew what I was getting into.

Still don't know what peoples problem is. You get the full controller combination free and a Wii.

This is just the cheap longer term version.
Its not for people on neogaf.

Peoples reactions always strike me as odd. I can't see from their POV on this wrong as I guess we disagree on some assumptions.

Price fixing, Ninty haven't set a UK price for hardware since their giant fine for price fixing. Ironically it always leads to GAME selling at above what Nintendo where probably thinking as a MSRP going on how much their consoles sell in other territories ;(

They'll set a price in Europe, but they haven't set one for anything in the UK since being told off. Retailers have full control over that. Probably why we have really expensive U consoles and games that aren't selling.

So, unless Nintendo drop their price to retailers - and even then there's no guarantee that retailers will respond by dropping their price to consumers - or start setting a price again, UK customers are going to be stuffed?

re: The market for this.

There's clearly a strong second-hand market in the UK for cheap Wii systems and software, so why shouldn't Nintendo try and get in on that? If it's a choice between a second-hand system and a new system I suspect a lot of people - esp. the audience for a budget console who will be less concerned about secondary features and just wants a cheap game player - will bite on the new if the price is close enough.

One of the shittiest pieces of hardware Nintendo has ever put out. Guess they have to find someone to make money with how the Wii U is doing.

Busty

Banned
Still don't know what peoples problem is. You get the full controller combination free and a Wii.

Whaaaa?

I actually own one of these (mainly as a back up Wii). It runs much cooler than the normal Wii, probably due to the smaller components. The only thing I don't like is the lack of internet and 480p, but I knew what I was getting into.

So what you're saying is you're putting on a brave face on for the kids?

Top Bottom