• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Mini no longer Canadian exclusive

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Why would anyone want this when you can pick up a second hand Wii for peanuts.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Shots fired. Your move Sony & Microsoft.

goodjob94q24.png

I actually like the design, but the sacrifices they did are nuts.

Motherboard still has the wifi plug and the SD card pinouts too; video/audio chip is also there so I'm guessing component was just disabled (either physically or by software).

Nuts.

Wtf is wrong with this company now? Have they always made stupid decisions like this before, but we never saw them due to the insane success of the Wii or is this a recent trend? Jesus Christ, Nintendo needs to get it's shit together in Japan. The pricing is probably a mandate from NCL.

This appears to be a NoA/NoE thing; what are you talking about?
Their expanding it so it must have had success.

JordanN

Banned
Nintendo must be netting a fortune on this thing. $99 for 88mb of RAM in 2013. Ouya is suppose to cost the same and it comes with 1GB of ram (and yes I know ram quality, OS usage etc).

It's sad knowing none of this money will go towards making beastly hardware now that they have the chance (or well always had, but with far less risk).

Wtf is wrong with this company now? Have they always made stupid decisions like this before, but we never saw them due to the insane success of the Wii or is this a recent trend? Jesus Christ, Nintendo needs to get it's shit together in Japan. The pricing is probably a mandate from NCL.
It's a classic Nintendo move, SNES SNS-101 (the slim one), lacked RGB out, the chip support was there, but disabled (disabled meaning it can be enabled); first N64's supported RGB but had it disabled, further models had it removed altogether. Reason? "no one used it on SNES". Gamecube also had Digital video out removed; because it was a second video out and "less than 1% of the consumers used it".

Thing is, such petty measures make less and less sense every year that goes by (although the GC one was justifiable).

If they hack it, so I can flash a regular Wii System Menu to it, I might think about it; I mean soldering the SD card slot and putting the wifi module in doesn't seem all that hard; providing there's support for it.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Why would anyone want this when you can pick up a second hand Wii for peanuts.

Seriously. £50 will get you a pristine, used, fully-functional Wii and there are plenty of them around.

"Hey son! We bought you that new Wii console you were talking about"

2fFONSD.jpg

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I almost forgot this thing existed. I'm guessing that one collector who bought one is weeping now.

AzaK

I like Nintendo, but this is one of those times where I can't help wonder what the hell they're playing at. You have a new Wii U to market.

Also, the potential for confusion is great.

No mention of the fact it doesn't work with Wii U games. Sigh.

Well noone's buying the Wii U so they gotta do something right? A super cheap Wii will undercut the 360 etc and fill in those gaps of people/families that don't have it yet.

"Look mum! It's a Wii U without the tablet part! I can't wait to play Zombi U on it!"

Still don't know what peoples problem is. You get the full controller combination free and a Wii.

This is just the cheap longer term version.
Its not for people on neogaf.

Peoples reactions always strike me as odd. I can't see from their POV on this wrong as I guess we disagree on some assumptions.

people on Neogaf know the difference between the Wii and WiiU

Put this in front of your average stressed working mom who is just looking to treat her already spoilt pre-teen to absolve her increasing guilt and she will think that this is "the new wii" he has been talking about.
Its flipping stupid.

So Apple has:
-the iPod Shuffle
-the iPod Nano
-the 4th Gen iPod Touch
-the 5th Gen iPod Touch

-the new iPad
-the iPad 2
-the iPad Mini

And you're saying consumers won't get confused?

This was already covered back when the Wii Mini was released in Canada. This is an affordable console meant for the cottage/road trips. It's cheap and easy to setup and play. They won't care about component or RGB Scart. This is not a console for GAF.

If you've ever bought anything second-hand, you know the hassles involved with it. Does it work, is it dirty, do they live close, is the price reasonable, etc. Stores provide convenience with return policies and gift card compatibility.

Kokonoe

Banned
So no SD, no USB, no WiFi, no BC....

Looks like a great deal.

If

A. They sold it for 40$ US (whatever in euro) I could understand.

or

B. It had Gamecube support, I may have bought it just to have an easier way to play Gamecube games on component. Plus it's smaller than a Gamecube.

mocoworm

Wii Mini out in the UK on 22nd March - We'd advise against buying it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-26-wii-mini-out-in-the-uk-on-22nd-march

""The sad reality is that the Wii Mini disappoints on almost every level," wrote Digital Foundry. "It's not a good-looking piece of kit at all, functionality has been stripped down to the absolute bare-bones, and perhaps worst of all for a product actively being marketed on its dinky form-factor is the fact that it's not actually that much smaller than the original model.

"...we'd be quite happy if Nintendo never releases it elsewhere.""

Jackano

I think I'm gonna get this in the bargain bin for <60€ in 3 or 6 months. 109€/£ price point is unnaceptable. What were they thinking?

Bumhead

Banned
This is not a console for GAF.

I think this is starting to become a really lazy meme and a parody.

The console might not be sold or advertised to the hardcore, up to speed gamer or your average NeoGAF member, but GAF members are able to recognise when the "casual" gamers are getting their pants pulled down with garbage hardware targeted at an audience that doesn't know better.

I don't think there's a reason for this to exist beyond an end of market cash grab. It offers nothing and strips away functionality which some will consider core to its purpose, especially not being able to access Netflix etc.

NickMitch

1. They will discontinue the "original wii"*
2. Different marketing of the Wii Mini will separate it from the WiiU*
3. Virtual Console, Eshop etc will now be "exclusive" for the WiiU*
4. Probably we'll se GC games on VC next year likely more HD versions like WW.*
5. Its awesome that they have the cojones to release such a barebones console*
6. All of this works in the favor of WiiU.*

*all of these statements are my personal speculation and should NOT be seen as facts.

FyreWulff

I think this is starting to become a really lazy meme and a parody.

The console might not be sold or advertised to the hardcore, up to speed gamer or your average NeoGAF member, but GAF members are able to recognise when the "casual" gamers are getting their pants pulled down with garbage hardware targeted at an audience that doesn't know better.

I don't think there's a reason for this to exist beyond an end of market cash grab. It offers nothing and strips away functionality which some will consider core to its purpose, especially not being able to access Netflix etc.

casual gamers that all have their 360 hooked up to their 60" dlp tv via composite

So Apple has:
-the iPod Shuffle
-the iPod Nano
-the 4th Gen iPod Touch
-the 5th Gen iPod Touch

-the new iPad
-the iPad 2
-the iPad Mini

And you're saying consumers won't get confused?

This was already covered back when the Wii Mini was released in Canada. This is an affordable console meant for the cottage/road trips. It's cheap and easy to setup and play. They won't care about component or RGB Scart. This is not a console for GAF.

If you've ever bought anything second-hand, you know the hassles involved with it. Does it work, is it dirty, do they live close, is the price reasonable, etc. Stores provide convenience with return policies and gift card compatibility.

Except Apple has one of the best marketing teams in the world. When they launch a product, they make damn sure that the general public know about it, presenting the product as a lifestyle choice, rather than just another tech gadget. Features on the products are repackaged and renamed to make them synonymous with Apple, even if they are old ideas, and done on many other products (and sometimes better).

Further the naming scheme is genius. The 'i' prefix immediately identifies whatever the item is as an Apple one, which through the aforementioned marketing is deemed to represent quality and good design. From there most consumers can work out what the product is and so what it offers them.

iphone- mobile
ipad- tablet
ipad mini- small tablet
ipod- mp3 player

And so on, with a bigger number marketed as new and with more features, so therefore always 'better' to consumers. Fucking brilliant marketing.

Nintendo on the other hand.....the marketing is somewhat not existent, and when it does appear, it is generally of bad quality, or hampered by too similar names and products.

As for the consumer you say it is aimed at, I fail to see why they would choose this version over a second hand original model. £40 vs £80 is an easy decision to make given the UK economy is in the doldrums. Further I doubt this section of the market would care about dirt or scratches, or indeed be aware of any chance of it failing. Plus buy it from Game or similar and you're given a 12 month guarantee anyway!

notsol337

marked forever
I want one to sit in my console collection, but I won't get one. I'd power it up to see if it worked, and then never touch it again.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
barebones to the core. Thing is actually cute

don't really get those "Nintendo is nuts" comments. It probably costs fuck all to produce and even if they make mediocre numbers, it's still more money in their pockets. Squeezing every last drop out of the Wii isn't a bad idea after all

sammex

barebones to the core. Thing is actually cute

don't really get those "Nintendo is nuts" comments. It probably costs fuck all to produce and even if they make mediocre numbers, it's still more money in their pockets. Squeezing every last drop out of the Wii isn't a bad idea after all

Exactly. Basically if Nintendo wasn't making money from it then they wouldn't bother.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Nintendo's PR effort seems to be resulting in some nice headlines

Daily Mail said:
Nintendo set to launch Wii Mini in the UK... but video game buffs slam it as 'savagely compromised version' of original console

Edit: haha, what did Daily Mail do other than being a shit tabloid? Link removed.

Last Black Friday Nintendo released a barebones normal Wii at Wal-Mart for $89 (no pack-ins). I don't know why they don't just make that the normal Wii SKU for now.

Top Bottom