• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Mini no longer Canadian exclusive

Jackano

Can't wait for the thread about the Wii U price drop to 99€.

Seriously when it launched in Canada, we already stated that wasn't the clever Wii redesign to expand its lifespan. And other problems occured since then.

UK consumers:

'Wii, Wii slim, Wii mini, Wii fit, Wii motion plus, WiiU?

jackiechan.jpg

UK consumers:

'Wii, Wii slim, Wii mini, Wii fit, Wii motion plus, WiiU?

I can buy the idea of some confusion between Wii and Wii U (and possibly Wii Mini), but no-one in the UK - or anywhere else - is confused by Wii Fit or Motion Plus (or Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Party etc.)

I'm also assuming that the timing of this - around the start of new titles arriving for Wii U - is going to be used by Nintendo as an opportunity to differentiate the two systems (assuming their marketing team is switched-on, which is a bit of a gamble). Push Wii U with a new series of ads focusing on launch and new games (Monster Hunter, Lego City Undercover etc.) marketing it as a new, HD system, and run a separate campaign for the Mini and original Wii pushing them as the older, budget system for families - you could even drop the mention of the Mini in as a "epilogue" ad on the Wii U campaign ("Also new from Nintendo, the Wii Mini - a new design for the classic Wii console, now at a great new price!" etc.)

javac

Well I mean if they phase the old Wii out, then it'll be harder for people to get the Wii and Wii U mixed up. One is red and small and one is white or black and big. See? Nintendo is smart! lol

Focus "squarely on games" unless those games are VC games, Gamecube games, games that support gamecube controllers on Wii, online games, or you would like to play said games in 480p.

Busty

Banned
You get a console and controller that runs the games. This is for people who have not bought a Wii yet.

Are there really enough of those people to warrant releasing this cheap entry given the WiiU was released just a few months earlier to lackluster sales?

While I know that this is aimed squarely at kids (possibly for their bedrooms) surely it would be cheaper to buy a second hand/reconditioned Wii at this point?

BriBri

This would be so appealing without the menu screen, bang in the game and play away old school, especially with the retro design.

Fully expect this to be £89.99+ :0

Focus "squarely on games" unless those games are VC games, Gamecube games, games that support gamecube controllers on Wii, online games, or you would like to play said games in 480p.

Its just for Wii games. Wii hasn't played Gamecube games for years. Its cheap to make so they can best benefit from long term sales.

This is not aimed at you in any shape or form.

Ath

It's bad enough that the Wii and the Wii U are lumped together on one shelf at most supermarkets without this thing there as well. When there's already enough confusion distinguishing the Wii and Wii U in the UK, the last thing needed was to introduce yet another Wii variant! Worse still, because it looks more different to the Wii than the Wii U does, I can see an already confused public thinking it's the new Wii! If a kid asks their parent for "The New Wii" they'll be very disappointed when they end up with a mini.

Its just for Wii games. Wii hasn't played Gamecube games for years. Its cheap to make so they can best benefit from long term sales.

This is not aimed at you in any shape or form.

Considering how many people used the Wii as a cheap netflix box, we'll see who actually wants this piece of crap.

This definitely isn't marketed towards anyone on this forum, but to be perfectly honest, this would be a great gift for my grandparents.

They could care less about VC, and anything to do with this "online" stuff. All they need is their Wii Sports, and their like a kid in a candy shop.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Possibly the worst console of the big three's ever made. Friends don't let friends buy Wii Mini's.

This definitely isn't marketed towards anyone on this forum, but to be perfectly honest, this would be a great gift for my grandparents.

They could care less about VC, and anything to do with this "online" stuff. All they need is their Wii Sports, and their like a kid in a candy shop.

A second hand fully functional Wii is £50 in the UK these days. Unless this Fisher Price abomination is coming in at £40, theres STILL no market for it.

Yeah Mario Party 8 and Wii Sports Resort are new NS games, your move NOA.

MP8 was long overdue, it's $50 still in stores in NA...

Mario Kart Wii is also long overdue for the same reason.

Daedardus

But guys, you buy a Red Remote Plus with Nunchuck and an extra sensor bar and you receive an (almost) free console with it!

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Even those people will be able to see the terrible composite signal.

No they won't. The people who will buy this are the sort of people who plug their VDR into their HDTV via composite cable and think they are watching 'HD'.

Get them a used regular Wii. It's probably cheaper.

Bullza2o

Terrible idea, the Wii U is already struggling in the UK. Releasing a Wii Mini would create further confusion and probably eat into Wii U's sales...

Yup most likely.

"Hey do you know about that new Wii that came out recently?"
"Yeah it's not even a year old and it already has a slim version and a huge price drop."

Lombaszko

I was thinking about getting one if they came to America for my son. He seemed interested in Skylanders.
Also, the disc flap is more desirable than the disc slot because my kids are always sticking crap in the one on my iMac. Plus, I can see this system gaining value over time because it's so stupid and weird.

I was thinking about getting one if they came to America for my son. He seemed interested in Skylanders, but I believe the portal for that needs the UBS ports. Bummer!
Also, the disc flap is more desirable than the disc slot because my kids are always sticking crap in the one on my iMac. Plus, I can see this system gaining value over time because it's so stupid and weird.

Doesn't it have a usb port on the back? I'm sure that's what I read.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Guys... it's for people who have waited 7 years to get a Wii...

My educated guess is these people are probably not looking for state of the art tech. Neither a die hard online mp machine or a gamecube simulator.

They probably want a piss cheap way to play some good games they've wanted to play for the last seven years, but did not quite find it to invest in yet. And maybe people who thinks the small red box is "neat". If Nintendo makes any kind of money out of it, everybody should be happy.

So stop being angry (some of you), they're not targeting NeoGAFers. You're not supposed to like it.

Top Bottom