• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons/Ages 3DS VC release |OT|

Salsa

iX29R1xogTl8w.png

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages are two action-adventure games in The Legend of Zelda series, developed by
Flagship (a subsidiary of Capcom). They were originally released on February 27, 2001 in Japan, May 14, 2001 in North America, and October 5, 2001 in
Europe for Nintendo's Game Boy Color handheld console.

The player controls Link from an overhead perspective, with the same control scheme from The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening for the Game Boy.
In Seasons, the Triforce transports Link to the land of Holodrum, where he sees Onox kidnap Din, the Oracle of Seasons. In Ages, the Triforce transports
Link to Labrynna, where Veran kidnaps Nayru. The main plot is revealed once the player finishes both games. Link is armed with a sword and shield as
well as a variety of secondary weapons and items for battling enemies and solving puzzles. The central items are the Rod of Seasons, which controls the
seasons in Holodrum, and the Harp of Ages, which lets Link travel through time in Labrynna. Before he can infiltrate Onox's castle and Veran's tower,
Link must collect the eight Essences of Nature and the eight Essences of Time, which are hidden in dungeons and guarded by bosses.​

gfs_44196_2_9.jpg
gfs_44196_2_11.jpg
gfs_44196_2_13.jpg
gfs_44196_2_14.jpg
gfs_44196_2_10.jpg

gfs_44196_2_24.jpg
gfs_44196_2_27.jpg
gfs_44196_2_28.jpg
gfs_44196_2_34.jpg
gfs_23181_2_3.jpg

----Trailers:----

ibqQfu5wgDzAWg.png

Developer - Capcom
Publisher - Nintendo
Director - Hidemaro Fujibayashi
Producer - Noritaka Funamizu
Designers:
  • Hidemaro Fujibayashi
  • Yoichiro Ikeda
  • Su Chol Lee
Artist - Yusuke Nakano
Composers
  • Minako Adachi
  • Kyopi

Release Date/Price:

• May 30th
  • $6 ($5 for the first three weeks)

ibwmbpkJbp7f0G.gif

Neiteio

I still can't believe these originally came out the same day. HOW DID THEY DO THAT?!

Anyways, $10 for the two of them is a STEAL.

Tan

Aaah it's safe in this thread. I should get this. I think I played these a bit when I was a kid but I don't remember anything.

Salsa

looks like part of the header got cut without me noticing (look at the "Seasons" and "Ages" emblems)

unacceptable

btw full disclosure: I still got my Gameboy copies, and I think the games should be $3 a piece or something, so im not sure if i'll be getting these versions

Myriadis

Oracle of Ages is the best 2D Zelda ever created. Difficulty is really good, dungeons are well-designed, the Soundtrack is great and the game world feels much more alive than in older 2D Zelda games.

Mr. Fix

My Color cartridges don't even save anymore. :I

They're fucking ace. I love 'em.

Also, everyone knows that Moosh is objectively the best partner.

DhNIg1t.png

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
The just neeed to re-release ALTTP on 3DS than i`ll have all 2D Zeldas on the 3DS. Damn...lets hope they will be something like that for the ALTTP 2 release.

I am NOT looking forward to Jabu Jabu's Belly in Ages, but I still need this so fucking badly.

I'm conflicted over if I should try to find my strategy guide where I wrote my passwords and start both games as a linked game or if I should just play them "brand new".

Salsa

also I looooooooove the Capcom Zeldas (these + Minish Cap) but didnt think an eShop re-release deserved a full massive legacy-like OP, rather just a place so those first timers to the games can discuss it, hope you rad dudes dont mind

Woah, never even knew these were on the way to VC. These are probably the two Zelda games that I know the least about. Love Links Awakening, and can't wait to have these two on my 3DS as well.

DaBoss

Thanks for this. Going to play these games for the first time (I had some book for Oracle of Seasons where you choose the pages you go to and determine an outcome).

What is the pricing of the games? I know there is some (underwhelming) discount for the games.

KarmaCow

also I looooooooove the Capcom Zeldas (these + Minish Cap) but didnt think an eShop re-release deserved a full massive legacy-like OP, rather just a place so those first timers to the games can discuss it, hope you rad dudes dont mind

I prefer these kind of OPs to the bloated jpeg laden messes we usually get.

chrono01

I played [and still own] Ages, but never did get around to purchasing/playing Seasons. I remember enjoying Oracle of Ages a lot.

It looks like I'll be re-purchasing them both! For $10, it's easily doable!

@MUWANdo

Banned

DhNIg1t.png

Oh, I HATED this motherfucker. Every time I go to replay these games I get stuck with this guy--not once has the game seen fit to give me that cool-arse kangaroo or even the dodongo. Never did find out how the game determines which one to give you... is it random, or is there some easy way to manipulate it so you get a certain partner every time?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Oh man, I cannot wait ti have these games back in my pocket. So hyped, this is an absolute STEAL at $10 and $12.

Seda

I know it's not really represented in the actual gameplay, but the Oracle Link design is easily one of my favorites.

sommaire.jpg

Oh, I HATED this motherfucker. Every time I go to replay these games I get stuck with this guy--not once has the game seen fit to give me that cool-arse kangaroo or even the dodongo. Never did find out how the game determines which one to give you... is it random, or is there some easy way to manipulate it so you get a certain partner every time.

He is the default partner in Ages (Ricky is the one for Seasons), and if you want any of the other two as partners you have to do a sidequest for their flute before the point of the game where you'd find the default one.

Salsa

Oh man, I cannot wait ti have these games back in my pocket. So hyped, this is an absolute STEAL at $10 and $12.

I might be a bad person but I still think VC prices in general should be lower. Games arent really always priced according to quality anyway. I feel like $3 a piece would be an irresistible sweet spot

Maximus.

Oh, I HATED this motherfucker. Every time I go to replay these games I get stuck with this guy--not once has the game seen fit to give me that cool-arse kangaroo or even the dodongo. Never did find out how the game determines which one to give you... is it random, or is there some easy way to manipulate it so you get a certain partner every time?

It's not random. You can pick, I forget exactly how but it is determined by some choice you make.

Mr. Fix

Just curious, but what upgrades are only available on a 2nd playthrough through the other game? I know that you get the Master Sword on the 2nd game you choose to play through the Secret code you get at the end of the first. Could you get the cape in Ages?

Also the Biggoron sword was neat, despite it being slow.

@MUWANdo

Banned
He is the default partner in Ages (Ricky is the one for Seasons), and if you want any of the other two as partners you have to do a sidequest for their flute before the point of the game where you'd find the default one.

Oh, so I guess I managed to cheat myself out of playing as Ricky in Seasons by being too damn inquisitive. Cheers for that.

Seda

Just curious, but what upgrades are only available on a 2nd playthrough through the other game? I know that you get the Master Sword on the 2nd game you choose to play through the Secret code you get at the end of the first. Could you get the cape in Ages?

Also the Biggoron sword was neat, despite it being slow.

Master Sword
Biggoron Sword
Mirror Shield
Bigger ring box (5 rings)
Bigger bomb bag and bigger seed pouch I think
other minor things

Roc's Cape and Power Gloves are unique to their games.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I might be a bad person but I still think VC prices in general should be lower. Games arent really always priced according to quality anyway. I feel like $3 a piece would be an irresistible sweet spot

For certain games yes the prices do need to come down, but these two are so good that I think the slightly higher price is justified. Together they're the best handheld zelda we have.

:lol

Madao

Don't forget the badass villains these games have:

GENERAL ONOX (Seasons) and VERAN (Ages):

game spoilers below:

too bad they turned into Twinrova's pawns in the linked games. they would have stood well as their own thing like Majora

ohlawd

I might actually be able to finish a 2D Zelda this time around.

Closest I've gone would be LttP. I only stopped cuz I got stuck >_>

Madao

I might actually be able to finish a 2D Zelda this time around.

Closest I've gone would be LttP. I only stopped cuz I got stuck >_>

for me, it was the opposite. i managed to beat and get 100% in the Oracles and later LA but never got far in AlttP or Minish Cap or the NES games.

Pappasman

If you've never played these you owe it to yourself to download them. Best 2d Zeldas.

My Color cartridges don't even save anymore. :I

They're fucking ace. I love 'em.

DhNIg1t.png

Moosh is the best!

Neiteio

game spoilers below:

too bad they turned into Twinrova's pawns in the linked games. they would have stood well as their own thing like Majora
Dude, that twist is the best part!

On another note, it's no spoiler to say that every dungeon boss in Oracle of Seasons is from the original Legend of Zelda.

Seeing Aquamentus again... <3

Aquamentus-OoS.png

Mr. Fix

Master Sword
Biggoron Sword
Mirror Shield
Bigger ring box (5 rings)
Bigger bomb bag and bigger seed pouch I think
other minor things

Roc's Cape and Power Gloves are unique to their games.

I'm probably going to end up replaying 1 of them just to use these for that game.

I want this now!

On hindsight, while watching the farmers' baby grow up during both games is neat it's...kinda disturbing too considering how fast it grows up. I mean (spoilered jic)
if you play a certain way, he'll be way older than his parents by the end of the linked game wtf it wasn't even a year and his life is already ending D:

I've never actually played these, I do remember a phase in elementary school where I collected the Choose Your Own Adventure style books for these however. Word is that these are nearly, if not the best 2D Zelda games? I'm in if that hype is even partially true.

Top Bottom