• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons/Ages 3DS VC release |OT|

NEO0MJ

So, I'm emerassed to say that I feel stuck in seasons. I just beat
the dungeon with the magnet gloves. I went to the ruins in the northwest but I don't know what to do there.

Help?

So, I'm emerassed to say that I feel stuck in seasons. I just beat
the dungeon with the magnet gloves. I went to the ruins in the northwest but I don't know what to do there.

Help?

I think that's the part where you need to get the four keys to open the ruins gate, you need to buy the members card from the Subrosia shop underground so you can then purchase the treasure map from the members area of the standard shop in the village, use this to help get the keys, that said I still had to use a guide myself to obtain one of the keys.
There's a fair bit more to the path on route to the next dungeon but I assume you're just having trouble getting started.

Bladenic

Yay I finally finished Seasons, in 25 hours compared to 15 hours of Link's Awakening. I guess there is more content or I just wandered a lot more.

Off to beat Ages now!

Where do you see how long you've played? Dumb question I'm sure.

Also I'm in Jabu Jabu's Belly now. Losing the will to go on but I'm so close. This dungeon blows.

One thing Season has over Age is way less tedium between dungeons. Ages has all that Goron shit with dungeons 5 and 6, then the Zora stuff. It's annoying really.

Salsa

Where do you see how long you've played? Dumb question I'm sure.

activity log

I ended up not grabbing these so far due to credit card woes. Long story short I cant use my CC and need to buy eShop cards, cheapest being $20, bleh.

I might grab one soon to get picross-e and maybe pick up Ages.

Vibed

I don't understand the dancing minigame in Ages. The instructions give you two actions, however in the minigame you apparently need 3? I thought one of them would simply be doing nothing (when the Goron kneels down or some shit) but then I lose immediately.

Not feeling lots of content between the dungeons here, they also just had to repeat that annoying forest maze for some reason... :/ I thought I was little burnt out at first, but Seasons was really just much more fun (And also had a better map design so far)

Base the actions off of the sounds you hear. When an action repeats, the move the Gorons make will be a bit different.

This game feels just like Links Awakening. I can't believe I never played this when it came out originally!

The weird thing is that LA and Oracle are 8 years apart, yet they're very, very similar. It's actually a testament to LA that pretty much the same game could be made 8 years later and it holds up beautifully.

I picked up both of these earlier and started playing Seasons for the first time, and holy moly is it good! They just don't make 'em like this anymore. I've played for two hours and just
got Ricky
after beating the second dungeon. Can't wait to play more tomorrow!

Just a question about the gasha seeds: is there a finite amount of these and should I be saving them to get some unmissable item(s) later, or just keep planting on every piece of soil I see? I also get the feeling that the game is hinting at the essences changing things in the world when you get them, primarily that something about the soil changes, but I'm not sure whether this is the case yet.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
hqdefault.jpg

Definitely has influences from

Mmx1WolfSigma.gif

You can feel the Capcom.

I just beat seasons a few minutes back, it was fun but not as good as LA, haven't picked up Ages yet, in what way is it better than seasons? I thought seasons was fun but a bit boring.

deroli

I too just finished Oracle of Season. Goddamn that last boss! I had to get the red ring (with a guide of course), because I could barely make it to his final form. Well, with the ring, it was almost too easy :/ I needed the help of a guide several times throughout the game, but that's just the norm with me and the Zelda series.
I enjoyed the game very much, just like every 2D Zelda. However, I feel kind of saturated right now, so I won't get Ages in the near future. But OoS was definitely worth 5 bucks.

I too just finished Oracle of Season. Goddamn that last boss! I had to get the red ring (with a guide of course), because I could barely make it to his final form. Well, with the ring, it was almost too easy :/ I needed the help of a guide several times throughout the game, but that's just the norm with me and the Zelda series.
I enjoyed the game very much, just like every 2D Zelda. However, I feel kind of saturated right now, so I won't get Ages in the near future. But OoS was definitely worth 5 bucks.

Didn't know about the red ring,What does it do exactly? I thought the final form was pretty easy once I knew what to do, I also used the save state feature which made the boss fights a bit easier.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I've been looking for Eyeglass Lake for hours and am now resorting to a walkthrough. No shame.

DaBoss

Finally starting this game now that I've beaten Bowser's Inside Story. Got past the first dungeon and am going to the next soon. Really good so far. I really like how it has some nice quirkiness.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
http://i4.ytimg.com/vi/3FPM0QVMz48/hqdefault.jpg[img]

Definitely has influences from

[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100731164552/megaman/images/1/18/Mmx1WolfSigma.gif[img]

You can feel the Capcom.[/QUOTE]
Holy shit, that is the coolest boss I've ever seen in Zelda. And I haven't gotten to it yet. Sucks to have that spoiled. Ah well.

vall03

I still haven't started the 4th dungeon in Ages. A bit burned out after playing Seasons. Is there really a big difference when playing a linked game?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I still haven't started the 4th dungeon in Ages. A bit burned out after playing Seasons. Is there really a big difference when playing a linked game?
Yeah, I'm only half way through Seasons, but I can tell that I'll want a break. I'm loving the game, but I can only play so much at once. I'll enjoy Ages more if I take a break. I think I'm going to play some action game, then Persona 4 Golden, and then get to Ages.

Just beat Seasons with 15 hours on my playtime counter, and it was really good! Didn't bother using a guide so I don't know how much I missed (lots of gaps in my ring list, and I missed four heart pieces) but I think I got a lot of the optional stuff, knew the map like the back of my hand by the end! I even got pretty good at sensing which trees to burn down or which walls to bomb to find hidden rooms. The only dodgy part of the game was the sixth dungeon which really had an amateurish and lazy design with extremely simple puzzles and many large, empty and uninteresting rooms. Now on to Ages!

In the spirit of this thread I dug out my GBA SP and finished Seasons and Ages in quick succession (password linked) this past week, first time I've played them since 2001. They are as fantastic as I remembered.

Now on the second dungeon in LA DX. As soon as I booted up LA I could tell that it possesses an intangible quality that makes it feel like a true first party Nintendo product and the originator of the template. Still, it's great that Capcom came so close to emulating its greatness with the Oracle games, with some brilliant original music, a cast of charming characters and the dense but memorable overworlds. Capcom actually improved on LA's somewhat archaic user interface with simple but appreciated additions like the Save and Continue option and the removal of the repeated notifications.

LA and the Oracles form the holy trinity of handheld Zelda games, arguably all Zelda games. I'd be happy if this game engine was used indefinitely; something about the simple but expressive graphics, gorgeous chiptunes, devious dungeons and offbeat characters resonate strongly with me. Capcom's followup The Minish Cap, while a quality product, never reaches the heights of the Oracle games.

DaBoss

Beat Oracle of Seasons. Great game. Magnetic gloves has to be one of my favorite items in the Zelda series, though the boss for it was underwhelming. They managed to show many emotions through the sprites, especially the Subrosians in particular which were adorable in a weird way. The final boss was the pretty much the only hard boss for me (many others were challenging, but not hard). First part was fine, but the second part really was hard at first. I only realized then that I can use save states at that moment so I used it. I probably faced it 10-14 times. Though I seen myself progressively getting better since I managed to go back and forth between hands while hitting the head consistently.

Looking forward to Oracle of Ages.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Beat Seasons last night. What a freaking awesome final boss. I really really loved the game overall, too. My biggets complaints are probably:
  • The overworld was a chore to navigate. There are parts of it that are a major pain in the ass to get to. At one point I totally forgot how to get back to the
    Goron
    area, and finally had to go through Subrosia to get there, lol.
  • Subrosia was pretty uninteresting. I hated the music there, too.
  • I really didn't like the music that played when inside houses and shops. It was pretty grating, though I warmed up to it a tiny bit towards the end.
  • The sound the
    magnet gloves
    make is so obnoxious. What were they thinking, lol.
All that stuff aside, it was definitely one of my favorite Zeldas. Great dungeons, bosses, items, characters, story. Even the difficulty was pretty good (for a Zelda game). I'm gonna play a few other games before getting to Ages, but I'm looking really forward to it.

Tripon

Sorry to bump up an old thread, but I'm trying to play both Seasons and Ages. Started with Seasons first, and just beat it, and then started Ages.

For whatever reason, Ages doesn't have restore points on the Virtual Console menu. It only has an option to resume and reset.

Does anyone else have this issue? Any help would be appreciated.

To help out a bit:

Here's what I'm seeing on my VC menu on Seasons.

Here's what I'm seeing for my VC menu on Ages.

pariah164

Sorry to bump up an old thread, but I'm trying to play both Seasons and Ages. Started with Seasons first, and just beat it, and then started Ages.

For whatever reason, Ages doesn't have restore points on the Virtual Console menu. It only has an option to resume and reset.

Does anyone else have this issue? Any help would be appreciated.

To help out a bit:

Here's what I'm seeing on my VC menu on Seasons.

Here's what I'm seeing for my VC menu on Ages.
That is... weird.

Maybe you need to delete Ages and reinstall it? Mine has the create function.

Mine is the same way, but I'm pretty sure it's because I accidentally hit no when it asked me something when I first loaded the game so you probably did too. Dunno if there's a way to reactivate them.

Sorry I'm LTTP but picked up a 3DS two wees ago and finally got around to picking up Ages this weekend. I was absolutely in love with the game again (haven't replayed in about five years) right up until the fucking Goron mountains. I completely forgot about this section and it really might be one of the worst areas of a Zelda game. The map and tunnels is unnecessarily convuluted, the mini games are awful (holy fuck dancing is awful), there are No characters even worth talking to, and it has the most unnecessary time switching sections in the game. Awful dungeon power up too. Fuck this place.

I apologize for necroing this thread, but I'm only now playing through Oracle of Seasons for the third time overall (and first time on 3DS VC). I am REALLY enjoying this over a year old thread. I had to post after seeing this gif:
I was going to post this after I beat that dungeon it's in, but I forgot, so I'll post it now

5TqXrZP.gif
Holy shit. I always take a massive beating when going through this gauntlet. I had no idea this was so simple! Amazing gif!
The last dungeon in Seasons (
Sword and Shield Maze
) is far too frustrating, as is Onox (
his dragon form, at least
).
Sword & Shield is a triumph in dungeon design. It's fantastic. Up there with the mighty Eagle's Tower from Link's Awakening.

Top Bottom