• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons/Ages 3DS VC release |OT|

Oracle of Ages is the best 2D Zelda ever created. Difficulty is really good, dungeons are well-designed, the Soundtrack is great and the game world feels much more alive than in older 2D Zelda games.

ok i'm sold. buying this shit now.

(as a long time fan, these are the few i haven't played......that and Link's Awakening. I know, i'm a shitty Zelda fan for not playing these)

Great value for both games, I got both of them when they first came out. Now that they're out on eShop, I went straight for for it since I wanted to relive/test my memory of Seasons and actually get past the 3rd dungeon in Ages.

Link Man

Banned
Well, I found out that you can complete Level 5 before Level 4 in Seasons. The game even acknowledges it when you complete the dungeon.

Just did the boss of Unicorn's Cave first time this morning, without taking damage. :/ Apparently I was really tired last night, or I was just being stupid.

Also, fuck getting Maple encounters at Vasu's shop in Seasons. What a shitty place for one. Give me wide, open spaces, please.

protonion

A little help!
Seasons. After dungeon 3 I go to sunken city. Now what? I believe I have to find some diving equipment but I don't know where it is. I traveled all over the map but nothing.
Damn the handholding has ruined me...

Link Man

Banned
A little help!
Seasons. After dungeon 3 I go to sunken city. Now what? I believe I have to find some diving equipment but I don't know where it is. I traveled all over the map but nothing.
Damn the handholding has ruined me...

You have to find the tree with the Gale seeds in the Sunken City, then head back towards the house in the southwest corner of the city. Tell the kids that you have bombs, then talk to the dodongo. Ride him up the waterfall, and then head north one screen to find two more waterfalls. The diving instructor is up the one on the right, and he will instruct you on your next course of action.

Alrus

The Hero's Cave in seasons is total bullshit. Well actually no, it's fine until the last two rooms. Then you have a shitty boomerang "puzzle" that will drive you insane and the last puzzle is clever but unless you have great memory it's rather annoying.

Link Man

Banned
The Hero's Cave in seasons is total bullshit. Well actually no, it's fine until the last two rooms. Then you have a shitty boomerang "puzzle" that will drive you insane and the last puzzle is clever but unless you have great memory it's rather annoying.
Or a note-taking app.

pa22word

Does anyone else upon replaying them both find Ages to be a lot better than Seasons?

Ages feels like a direct sequel to LA and a great extension of the ideas and design philosophy of LA, while Seasons feels like it's trying to emulate LttP to good-ish results I guess. It might be because I consider LA to be a much better game than LttP is anyways >.>

That and fidgeting with 4 variable overworld schemes is much more tedious than just the 2 in ages.

Maximus.

Finally got a chance to dive in! I am starting with Seasons because it is my favorite of the two. Really enjoying it so far and forgot how fast paced the game is. Maple is a bitch though hahaha. I am really happy that Nintendo made the right choice to release these two games and also offer a discount on them. Now all we need is the OG pokemon games :p

Croc

Banned
So how do you manage to get past those pitch black rooms with holes in the floor. Specifically I'm talking about the one in the cave in Ages where you put that Tokay Eye thing. I think there's also one in the Hero's Cave that I briefly explored but if the solution is any different I'm talking just about the first one.

Roto13

I don't know what you're supposed to do, but I use the cane of somaria to see where I can place blocks. :p
Ahhh, ok. Yeah, I really should read those. I got stuck a couple times thanks to my text-skipping trigger finger.

You can always reread what the Maku Tree said to you by highlighting it on the map and pressing A. :p

Croc

Banned
I don't know what you're supposed to do, but I use the cane of somaria to see where I can place blocks. :p

You can always reread what the Maku Tree said to you by highlighting it on the map and pressing A. :p

Oooh that's a good idea, I always forget about that. I was using scent seeds before and it worked but whenever one hit land it took a long time to go away so I could lay another lol

zroid

Banned

1253885876_suicide.gif

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I talked to an eleven year old I babysit today, and he's totally in love with Oracle of Seasons. I told him people generally think Ages is a little bit better, and he went nuts, haha.

Bladenic

You have to find the tree with the Gale seeds in the Sunken City, then head back towards the house in the southwest corner of the city. Tell the kids that you have bombs, then talk to the dodongo. Ride him up the waterfall, and then head north one screen to find two more waterfalls. The diving instructor is up the one on the right, and he will instruct you on your next course of action.

How do you
hit all the eyes at once? Can't figure it out. Do you have to use bombs? Which I no longer have.

Alrus

Finished both games with most upgrades (only missing a few rings and the bombs). Last boss was pretty tough and slightly annoying
How are you supposed to know you have to scent seeds on Twinrova? Took me ages to figure out :/

What does the Hero Secret do?

Link Man

Banned
That's Zelda 101 :p

Won't lie, didn't know you could push blocks when I first played Link's Awakening (my first Zelda). Was stuck in Tail Cave until a cousin helped me and told me about it.

Granted, I was about 10 at the time.

Also, it was the only time I needed help with the game.

Roto13

Finished both games with most upgrades (only missing a few rings and the bombs). Last boss was pretty tough and slightly annoying
How are you supposed to know you have to scent seeds on Twinrova? Took me ages to figure out :/

Yeah, that's dumb. It looks like you're doing damage without them but you can hack at her forever and she'll never go down.
are either of these games good starting points to start the Zelda series as a whole?

Honestly, anything from Link to the Past on is totally accessible and a fine starting point.

Nemesis_

Does anyone else upon replaying them both find Ages to be a lot better than Seasons?

Ages feels like a direct sequel to LA and a great extension of the ideas and design philosophy of LA, while Seasons feels like it's trying to emulate LttP to good-ish results I guess. It might be because I consider LA to be a much better game than LttP is anyways >.>

That and fidgeting with 4 variable overworld schemes is much more tedious than just the 2 in ages.

Yeah, Seasons is actually originally going to be a remake of the NES original, from what I've read.

Unfortunately the dated design philosophy and what not seems to have carried over. It's much harder to enjoy and I kind of wish I played it first.

zroid

Banned
Seasons finished~

The last boss really kicked my ass, I'm just no good at fighting in the 2D Zeldas. Even when I used restore points in between phases, I still couldn't do it. Had to buy a potion. :(

Nemesis_

AGES DUNGEON #3 - MOONLIT GROTTO

This is the first dungeon that I genuinely enjoyed on almost every level. Thematically (as with most of the dungeons) it is quite boring but on a pure gameplay level, I think it was the most fun. The game did a good job at making use of "physics" of the game - you throw bombs and bounce things off walls and whatnot to get through areas and progress, even if it is just to get to the next room or whatever. It's not the too much of a retread of previous dungeons.

Additionally, the puzzles in this dungeon are much more approachable (at least, in my opinion) and provide a little bit of a challenge while at the same time not being too easy. I felt very accomplished when I beat them :D

The mini boss for this dungeon was Subterror, some kind of mole thing. I appreciated this boss battle more so than others because it wasn't the same formula as other boss battles - you utilise old weapons and items that you've found along your adventure and not the one you find about two rooms prior. I can also imagine it on an epic scale in 3D with a room filled with sand so to me that made it a little bit more enjoyable too. Once you worked out this bosses weakness, however, it fell apart rather quickly and was very easy to approach.

The final boss, Shadow
Madonna
Hag was a little bit disappointing for me. I loved the way the team managed to incorporate the new item you acquire in this dungeon and utilise the ricochet mechanic to damage her, but once again once you worked our her schtick it devolved rather quickly. This is also the first boss that I've genuinely felt a little bit let down by - she felt like she could've been a sub boss rather than a bigger and more epic boss. I guess on a game with the graphical horsepower you could "epic it up" with some effects and what not but on the GBC it just fell flat and she died very quickly.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck. Got to the very end of the third dungeon in Seasons, switched to the 3DS home menu to adjust the brightness, and then accidentally closed the game without saving. Normally the 3DS asks me to confirm when I close down games / apps. Sucks that it doesn't do that for these games.

Won't lie, didn't know you could push blocks when I first played Link's Awakening (my first Zelda). Was stuck in Tail Cave until a cousin helped me and told me about it.

Granted, I was about 10 at the time.

Also, it was the only time I needed help with the game.
Haha, nice. I got stuck in the Face Shrine (dungeon six) for about a year and a half cause there was a wall that could be bombed, but no visual indication. Somehow my cousin found it in fifteen minutes, haha.

Joonytoon

Fuck. Got to the very end of the third dungeon in Seasons, switched to the 3DS home menu to adjust the brightness, and then accidentally closed the game without saving. Normally the 3DS asks me to confirm when I close down games / apps. Sucks that it doesn't do that for these games.

Won't you simply continue from where you closed it by accident in this instance?

zroid

Banned

I'm probably about to blow your mind -- the 3DS automatically saves your current state whenever you close a VC game, other than GBA. (This is separate from the restore point)

Roto13

Haha, nice. I got stuck in the Face Shrine (dungeon six) for about a year and a half cause there was a wall that could be bombed, but no visual indication. Somehow my cousin found it in fifteen minutes, haha.

Your adventurer sense didn't tingle in the empty room, huh? :p

I like how some references show up in Ages after I've beaten Seasons. However it's annoying to have so many NPCs giving me some fucking codes I don't give a shit about now. (Especially after I didn't know how to use the first one in Seasons anyway lol)
Maybe I'm just burned out after finishing Seasons just right before it, but right now I definitely feel less impressed by Ages. Pre-Dungeon 3 task has been pretty cool though.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Won't you simply continue from where you closed it by accident in this instance?

I'm probably about to blow your mind -- the 3DS automatically saves your current state whenever you close a VC game, other than GBA. (This is separate from the restore point)
Whoa, you're right! Thanks, haha. I just got discouraged and closed my 3DS right away.

Your adventurer sense didn't tingle in the empty room, huh? :p
Huh? It was just a plain wall.

I like how some references show up in Ages after I've beaten Seasons. However it's annoying to have so many NPCs giving me some fucking codes I don't give a shit about now. (Especially after I didn't know how to use the first one in Seasons anyway lol)

The codes are pretty much worth your while. They give you all sorts of things like
sword power-ups potentially all the way to L4, heart pieces so you can have 16 hearts instead of 14, and even a two-handed sword

Bladenic

About to enter dungeon 6 yay. Also got my sword upgraded yay. Guess ill get the shield upgrade too before going inside dungeon 6. Will try to finish Seasons by tomorrow then start Ages. Really enjoying Seasons so far. Dungeon 4 was probably my favorite so far.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
If I remember right there's a slab telling you how to find out a wall is breakable or not. You have to hit it with your sword and it will produce a different sound than usual.
I know, but I had no idea that I should even try tapping on that specific bit of wall.

I actually snapped a pic of the room I'm talking about during my playthrough earlier this year. It's fairly obvious when you're looking for it, and when you're playing on a well lit GBA SP, but it took me forever on my OG Gameboy at ten years old, haha.

Roto13

Huh? It was just a plain wall.

It's a plain wall in a pretty much empty room. How many empty rooms with no puzzles and no other doors besides the entrance and no chests or keys had you encountered up to that point?

EDIT: Wait, THAT'S the wall you're talking about? I assumed you meant the one leading to the miniboss. Yeah, no, there's no excuse for that one. There's a path pointing into it.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
EDIT: Wait, THAT'S the wall you're talking about? I assumed you meant the one leading to the miniboss. Yeah, no, there's no excuse for that one. There's a path pointing into it.
Yup, somehow it totally stumped me, though. I got stuck for even longer on an even easier puzzle in Link to the Past, haha.

Top Bottom