• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One is huge

Dali

You mean this thing is designed for people who are ashamed of being recognized as gamers by the people they bring in their houses ?

Apart from that, if they choosed that design for cooling reasons kudos to them.

I don't think that was the reasoning. It's pretty clear they're targeting non-gamers as much as, if not more, than gamers themselves so they wanted their device to look like the entertainment hub they hope it to become.

vio

bA91hTk.jpg

RetroStu

Banned
How are people calling it pretty? Looks like a PC tower Dell put out almost 10 years ago.

If it was full shiny black like the left side then i think it would look sexy as fuck, just a shiny black box with no buttons or anything except a very thin disk opening.
Its the only good thing about the console unfortunately.

Zeth

I think it honestly looks like a nice high end A/V receiver almost. Really can't fault them on the appearance.

xJavonta

Banned
The point is if I'm looking at your setup I would instantly notice the 360, the Wii, etc.

I likely wouldn't notice this.

I personally think that's a good thing. I just hope Sony brings it with the PS4 design since I'm 90% sure I'm getting one of those first.

jaypah

My first thought when seeing that shot on the GT post-show was "damn, it looks huge." But then the pictures from Wired make it look much smaller than that. So I don't know what's going on.

Mu8a3pj.jpg

But that man is 16 feet tall.

Anyway, i like the design. Looks like a person from the 80s came to the present, looked around bestbuy for 7 seconds and started drawing.

Zeth

Yeah, I seem to be one of the few that are pleased with the look.

If that's the case, I can only imagine the excitement of the dogpiling has fueled a lot of the criticism in the last 24 hours. In the scheme of things, I think it's fairly inoffensive at least.

Maybe opinions will change, but what are people expecting from the Sony box? They share much of the same hardware, which necessitates a certain minimum amount of space and cooling.

External dimensions are a little less than 10% bigger than the original launch 360 with the HDD.

Now launch 360 had the curves which made the perception of size smaller. But the external footprint of Xbox One is only slightly larger.

Also keep in mind it's as quiet, or quieter, than the 360s console we have now in all modes. Which was *not* the case with the original box. :)

bomma_man

That's a way better description than it has any right to be.

But that man is 16 feet tall.

Anyway, i like the design. Looks like a person from the 80s came to the present, looked around bestbuy for 7 seconds and started drawing.

The term you're after is retro futurism.

Apart from the white front light this thing is fuck ugly. Vita remains the only attractive new gen hardware.

I don't think it's a good or bad design. It's just a black box. I don't really need or want anything more than that. Ultimately what matters is if the thing doesn't die in a year.

sunnz

Looking at it a bit more, it is a pretty good design and if it is really the size of a 360, then that is great to hear.

7.5/10 for design.

But with most devices, I assume it will better in person.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Looks like if you spill a drink on it it has no chance to survive.

well 360S have huge vents on top like that too, I had to take mine to my local game shop to get the dust out(there was dust,cat hair and other crap inside it) it's really bad design and from the look for Xbox One with even bigger vents this is even worse.

Xbudz

Okay so I measured the XboxOne based of the USB port on the side. A USB port is about 1.3 ~1.4 CM wide. With that knowledge I came to know that the XboxOne is about 25cm depth and 30cm wide.

Now for comparison the:
PS3 Phat: 32.5 cm (w) x 9.8 cm (h) 27.4 cm (d)
PS3 Slim : 29cm (w) x 6.4cm (h) x 29cm (d)
X360 Phat: 30.9 cm (w) x 8.3 cm (h) x 25.8cm (d)
X360 Slim: 27cm (w) x 7.5cm (h) x 26.4cm (d)
Original Xbox: 32cm (w) x 10cm (h) x 26cm (d)

Now from my calculations I get these dimensions for the XboxOne: 29.5cm (w) x 7.5cm (h) x 24.7cm (d)

Note that the scale difference between the left and right picture is about 2.111*

5D9MdIh.png

ps2-ps2-xbox-xbox-360-wii-size-comparison.jpg

Yeah the size is not a problem.

vpance

well 360S have huge vents on top like that too, I had to take mine to my local game shop to get the dust out(there was dust,cat hair and other crap inside it) it's really bad design and from the look for Xbox One with even bigger vents this is even worse.

Yeah I can imagine the amount of dust it would suck up especially with a pet around. Maybe dust bunnies of death this time...

Teleporter

I tought new technology would shrink components and things overall not in this case as it seems! Man i hate that design!

Top Bottom