• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One is huge

The one thing I like about it is how it looks. I want my next-gen machine to say "Behold the mighty girth required for my next gen processing! See how your petty home cinema cowers beneath my size!" as opposed to describing it with a load of adjectives that make me sound like I want to fuck it.

Frodo

I don't have a problem with the way it looks. I'm sure it will fit most of the current set ups just fine, blending in with sound systems and other equipments without looking bad or sticking out too much, which, imo is good.

But judging by this pictures it looks humongous! I honestly could not fit one here at home without getting rid of anything.

Demon Ice

Banned
Can someone explain to me why it's so big? It doesn't seem like the components should be taking up that much space.

It's using a 40 nm APU vs the 28 (I believe) nm one in the PS4, so it's going to generate more heat, which probably requires a larger cooler. Also I guess it's using an internal power supply now.

Victrix

*beard*
It looks like a piece of rack mounted hardware

Which is sexy, I guess, if you think rack mounts are sexy. Or something.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Bigger is better, match the other units mounted in your TV/Stereo rack and have room in the case for more efficient cooling.

This is literally a case of once burned, twice shy when it comes to heat.

They're killing 3 birds with one stone, fits in an entertainment rack, better cooling, presumably cheaper to manufacture the facades since all the curves are gone.

RayMaker

Banned
The thing I like about X1's design is that it does not look like console, it looks like it has a powerful,grown up look to it.

Even the ps3 phat is so flash that it has that gamer geek almost toy like look to it.

but the x1's designs fits into any media center and does not look geeky or toy like in any way.

It will also attract the masses because it just looks like a supper sleek DVR and not a 'toy' games box.

How large is the Alienware x51 compared to this? Without looking at the specs visually the x51 seems smaller and it is pretty much using off the shelf components.

Concept17

Its nice looking in general, but kind of lacks personality. It needs a nice little feature on it that really makes the shape stand out a bit more. Its basically a 360 without the squeezed shape. Just boring.

Shoulda done a giant three dimensional X. :D

MS Engineer: Sir we have a new prototype called Illumiroom!

The Balmer: GREAT!

MS Engineer: One problem, it requires a coffee table to sit on and I guess some people don't have those.

The Balmer: NO PROBLEM! WE WILL JUST MAKE THE CONSOLE A COFFEE TABLE!

MS Engineer: ...

The Balmer: crams his entire fist in his own mouth

MS Engineer: backs out of room slowly, avoiding eye contact

Jarmel

Banned
Okay so I measured the XboxOne based of the USB port on the side. A USB port is about 1.3 ~1.4 CM wide. With that knowledge I came to know that the XboxOne is about 25cm depth and 30cm wide.

Now for comparison the:
PS3 Phat: 32.5 cm (w) x 9.8 cm (h) 27.4 cm (d)
PS3 Slim : 29cm (w) x 6.4cm (h) x 29cm (d)
X360 Phat: 30.9 cm (w) x 8.3 cm (h) x 25.8cm (d)
X360 Slim: 27cm (w) x 7.5cm (h) x 26.4cm (d)
Original Xbox: 32cm (w) x 10cm (h) x 26cm (d)

Now from my calculations I get these dimensions for the XboxOne: 29.5cm (w) x 7.5cm (h) x 24.7cm (d)

Note that the scale difference between the left and right picture is about 2.111*

5D9MdIh.png

Great post. Guess it's much smaller than it appears.

Yikes, I didn't realize the top right half are intake vents. Talk about a dust sucker right there. Someone has to come up with a filter to clip on.

TheBear

in all honesty it's a box, and while it may be an ugly box with vents it's still a fairly inoffensive box-like design. The kinect piece of shit can fuck right off though.

braves01

Banned
That thing makes Doritos pope look downright diminutive. I don't think people will have space for that monstrosity under their TVs.

Man

It's really hollow inside like a cheaply produced DVD player.
The launch PS3 was pretty big but it used every little cubic-centimeter within its shell kinda like a modern car engine.

Okay so I measured the XboxOne based of the USB port on the side. A USB port is about 1.3 ~1.4 CM wide. With that knowledge I came to know that the XboxOne is about 25cm depth and 30cm wide.

Now for comparison the:

Now from my calculations I get these dimensions for the XboxOne: 29.5cm (w) x 7.5cm (h) x 24.7cm (d)

Note that the scale difference between the left and right picture is about 2.111*

5D9MdIh.png

Nice, so not so big after all. Guessing this will be mostly ignored in this thread.

Randdalf

Honestly, I don't dig the whole massive vent on one half of it, surely that can't be an aesthetic decision. It must be pretty sweltering inside that box when it's running at full power to require such massive air flow. Also, that vent will get clogged up with dust big time if you use the console a lot.

PhatSaqs

Banned

Now for comparison the:

5D9MdIh.png
Should be in the OP and thread title changed to "Xbox One Looks Huge (in this pic)....."

JJD

Man I think the console and the controller are beautiful, but why the hell it is that big???

It makes no sense, they are using notebook parts! After the hardware specs leaked I thought we were going to have a pretty small, cool running console.

Let's see the size of the PS4, they are using mostly the same components right?

Jburton

Banned
Looks like you can place four of the controllers on the top of the console and be within the outline of the machine.

Man I think the console and the controller are beautiful, but why the hell it is that big???

It makes no sense, they are using notebook parts! After the hardware specs leaked I thought we were going to have a pretty small, cool running console.

Let's see the size of the PS4, they are using mostly the same components right?

Looks like a huge fan in the Wired article. Maybe the first iteration will be large to avoid heating issues and a potential RROD scenario. I don't mind the size of a console to much. I just want the games. Once it goes in the entertainment console it stays there till it dies.

freddy

Banned
Quite possibly the worst looking console ever released. I thought the WiiU looked bad, but this takes the cake.

Meier

Seeing it next to Geoff really puts it in perspective. It's essentially the size, or bigger, as a cable box/DVR. I'm not sure that it and the Kinect would even fit in the shelf slot on my entertainment center.

Hedja

Not only is it huge and ugly, it doesn't seem to fit their wider message nor the branding.

It's meant to be the future, appeal to sports fans, etc. but it looks like something out of the 80s/90s. It's a massive rectangular box with vents. Did they even pay someone to design it? It looks like there's so little thought put into it.

Then there's specs. Nothing they've mentioned requires it to be that big and the graphics for the games they showed didn't look all that impressive (apparently they were gimped though). So why is it so big?

Controller looks good though.

UrbanRats

It's really bland and character-less.
I was quite stunned by how little they nailed in this conference, down to the look of the console, to the name.

Basically the pad redesign, is the only thing i liked.

Now for comparison the:

5D9MdIh.png

Yeah, it isn't that big.

The design has grown on me, I really like it and the white light that comes on at the front.

Then again my favourite looking system is the original Master System so I guess I'm just a sucker for retro aesthetics :p

Top Bottom