• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBLA (Xbox Live Arcade) News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

pacman85

I'm mostly just venting here.
I totally agree and want to vent too. And I am getting sick of people that say "just keep your XBox 360" when getting a new console like that will ALWAYS work in EVERYONE's scenario. What if you are out of HDMI ports on your tv, your 360 craps out at some point, you don't have anymore room in your entertainment center, or you can't afford/don't want to pay full price for the new console without selling your current one? That is just a few scenarios off the top of my head. I don't really want 2 Kinects sitting below my HDTV.
I don't claim to know (or have any idea) what is all involved in making BC work and the costs associated with it when you change the entire architecture of a system as it sounds like they are doing with the XBox One but it really frustrates if they end up doing nothing for old XBox 360 games. I mean just imagine if you could somehow make it BC you would have an amazing lineup AT LAUNCH of XBLA and 360 games that work day one. Again, I am ignorant of what all is involved it's just frustrating they can't add another chip to the console to make BC possible, or develop an emulator that plays these games, or re-package the games somehow where they work with the new system and then if that full game download is in your download history allow you to get it for free (or maybe at a reduced price).
Who knows, maybe MS is planning one of those solutions and they just haven't announced it yet. The possibility of never being able to play any of the XBLA games I have bought, Halo 1-4, or other classic 360 games again just angers me. Yes I know, you buy the NEW console for NEW games but I actually do still play a few original XBox games (Halo 1 and 2 being the main ones) from time to time. If MS doesn't announce anything related to BC or some sort of solution they can count me out of buying an XBox One any time soon.
Oh and like someone else said on another forum the fact that they advertising/making a big deal about your gamerscore (which is an arbitrary number worth nothing in the real world) transferring over to the XBox One and then saying you can't ever play your digital downloads or physical discs on the new system to increase said gamerscore is insulting.

Oh and like someone else said on another forum the fact that they advertising/making a big deal about your gamerscore (which is an arbitrary number worth nothing in the real world) transferring over to the XBox One and then saying you can't ever play your digital downloads or physical discs on the new system to increase said gamerscore is insulting.
The gamerscore is a pointless blip but transferring achievements for games not playable is the stranger part to me. I get that both items aren't hard to do (I had a WP8 phone and it showed X360 achievements in the XBL area) but letting me show people that I was good at a game that is otherwise unobtainable is bizarre to me. Particularly on things like fighting game ports.

I was really hoping that XB mini rumor panned out.

Mattrick said in the early guff that they'll talk about the future of the 360 in a few weeks at E3.

Thread here with comments from Spencer about it.

The pessimist in me thinks that they should have announced that yesterday, particularly if it's intended to work in conjunction with XBO, because right now I suspect a not-insignificant portion of the early-buyer group that routinely frequents XBLA (or XBIG) is more or less planning to shut down on purchases. I've been waiting for sales on stuff like War of the Worlds and debating Battleblock at full price and now they may as well not exist because I don't want to add to my existing current-gen backlog. It's the same reason I haven't bought Guacamelee on PSN.

Card Boy

Banned
Just do what I do. Don't buy XBLA/PSN games and get every multiplatform game on PC, unless you MUST have something on XBLA or have spare points. One of these days they will shut down the 360 online service and if your console breaks your fucked.

I haven't bought a PSN game for 2 years because i expected the PS4 not to be backwards compatible because of the cell.

Just do what I do. Don't buy XBLA/PSN games and get every multiplatform game on PC, unless you MUST have something on XBLA or have spare points. One of these days they will shut down the 360 online service and if your console breaks your fucked.

I haven't bought a PSN game for 2 years because i expected the PS4 not to be backwards compatible because of the cell.

There is something about gaming on a console I like to do, also my pc while more powerful is more of a work machine but I do have some steam games and a few pc titles in boxes, I just prefer to turn on my 360 and sit down with it. I also have some RL friends and cousins with 360's

Now if my pc was able to run planetside 2 well i'd be playing that :p but with rumors of that coming to the ps4 I would love to play it on console at some point.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Aside from all this Doom and Gloom of XBLA talk... It appears the Punchcard rewards are going out now. Got 800 MSP credit.

Rewards site hasn't updated with this info, but XBL account has.

Jhoan

I can confirm that I got the 800 MSP deposited into my account as well. Definitely using it to check out Artorias of The Abyss next week as much as I want to check out Blood Dragon but that might have to wait a little while longer.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
boxartlg.jpg

banner.png

edit, didn't notice that Sangreal had edited his previous post last week.

Is this going to be the Multiplayer or some kind of HD-Remake?

Slygmous

I can confirm that I got the 800 MSP deposited into my account as well. Definitely using it to check out Artorias of The Abyss next week as much as I want to check out Blood Dragon but that will might have to wait a little while longer.

Mine are ready to spend now, which is an unusual time of the month. Not that I can complain though, it gave me all the points I had pending.

Vert boil

Is this going to be the Multiplayer or some kind of HD-Remake?

There is no other public info (that I've seen) other than Ubi registering the trade mark and the boxart showing up. We'll have to wait and see if it's a pc port, the modified console version or something else.

edit, And the Call of Juarez demo finally showed up over night.

Lima

Yeah, wasn't this bad? Like really, unplayable bad?

I'd actually forgotten about it if I'm honest, let's hope this Classic release isn't anything like it if I'm remembering the reaction to Instincts Predator correctly.

No you are thinking of the Wii release Far Cry Vengeance that looked like a N64 game.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Castle Storm Dev Diary: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_zVSaWjQaI

There needs to be more hype for this game, comes out next week, and looks so good!

Totally unrelated, but the coloring and exaggerated of the characters kinda gives me the impression that this is something like what a more Politically Correct, safer version of Dragon's Crown Artwork would look like...

screenlg9.jpg

screenlg5.jpg

screenlg3.jpg

screenlg1.jpg

So happy it has Splitscreen Co-Op, too (In addition to online play, as well.) Everything about the game seems to have a real quality to it, especially with it coming out at only 800 MSP.

aku:jiki

Wow, I loved the crap out of the Call of Juarez demo. Great graphics and atmosphere, solid gameplay and extremely satisfying gun sounds/animations. Every weapon I've tried so far feels like a hand cannon. Like pirate cannons that flew 10 feet backwards when they fired. Really nice game so far.

Also been playing Puzzle Quest Galactrix and it's really interesting to see how they managed to get everything so very wrong in their next game after PQ1, which got everything pretty much right. The puzzle concept, while playable, is obtuse and unfun, the galaxy is absolutely massive but with literally nothing to do in it and all of the minigames play exactly the same as regular fights do. And, like PQ2, there's way, way, way too much puzzle play and too little RPG. The worst part is the empty void of a world - most systems have literally nothing in them, not even a basic shop with like common crafting materials or something like that. Earth is in there, and even our solar system doesn't have anything in it!

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Castle Storm Dev Diary: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_zVSaWjQaI

There needs to be more hype for this game, comes out next week, and looks so good!

Totally unrelated, but the coloring and exaggerated of the characters kinda gives me the impression that this is something like what a more Politically Correct, safer version of Dragon's Crown Artwork would look like...

screenlg9.jpg

screenlg5.jpg

screenlg3.jpg

screenlg1.jpg

So happy it has Splitscreen Co-Op, too (In addition to online play, as well.) Everything about the game seems to have a real quality to it, especially with it coming out at only 800 MSP.

Wow, thanks for the link to the dev video, I only knew this game by name, being thrown around in here, but it looks fun.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Doritos Crash Course 1 and its DLC have been re-added to the marketplace. If you at all enjoy the gameplay of the second one or if you've previously played the first one and liked it, suggest downloading the former and buying the latter (160 msp) before it gets pulled again.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Wow, thanks for the link to the dev video, I only knew this game by name, being thrown around in here, but it looks fun.

Glad to Help:) The Zen Studios Youtube page also has a Multiplayer and Gameplay video that do a good job showing off the Modes and overall game flow; I can't believe I haven't seen any updates for those here, in the past few weeks.

Quite looking forward to this! Anyone thinking of making an OT for it?

Cardon

So apparently the Girl Fight achievement list is up which means it's still coming out much to anyone's surprise:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/girl-fight/achievements/

I think I threw up in a mouth a little bit. This game is going to tank so hard, it's not even funny. The achievements are do X thing X amount of times.

I'm somewhat shocked this is actually coming out. Thought the almost year-long silence on the project was a sign that it was either canned or on the backburner while Kung Fu Factory focused on their other projects like Home items or the Spartacus F2P title. Girl Fight wasn't horrendous when I played it at GDC last year, but it definitely has the makings of a bomb given the lack of any new info/media.

Vert boil

I'll update throughout the day.

DOTW

Darkstalkers Resurrection - 800msp (was 1200)

Ghost Recon: Future Soldier - 1200msp/15$ (was 2400/30$) US price, check your region
--Arctic Strike - 320msp (was 800)
--Khyber Strike - 320msp (was 800)
--Raven Strike - 400msp (was 1200)

-----

Kinect Sports: Season Two - 1200msp/15$ (was 2400/30$) US price, check your region

NBA 2K13 - 2400msp/30$ (was 4800/60$) US price, check your region
--All-Star Add-On - 200msp (was 400)
--Blue Diamond Jewelry Collection - 1000msp (was 2000)
--Gold Jewelry Collection - 200msp (was 400)
--Platinum Jewelry Collection - 400msp (was 800)
--Spanish Commentary Add-On - 200msp (was 400)

Lots of Minecraft tat has been reduced: avatar, gamerpics and themes.

-----

Dance Central Catalog Sale

http://www.dancecentral.com/dlc-sale-may

-----

16g8pku.png
200eyo7p.png
4604923_3c575d17912e98ijb4.gif

Jhoan

Praise the Sun! Artorias of the Abyss shall be finally mines once it drops to 600 MSP in the US which should be in another half hour to an hour or so. I can't wait to sink my teeth into it and dust off my copy of Dark Souls.

The rest of this week's deals are pretty crappy. I suppose Ghost Recon:Future Soldier is a pretty good deal at 15 bucks but I'm getting tired of playing so many shooters. I might bite on it since I thought the demo was good.

I wonder what next week's deal is going to be. Hopefully Borderlands 2 stuff goes on sale soon if not then on the same week that the new DLC comes out on (that's wishful thinking). Hell, I hope there's another Rare sale soon that includes both Banjo-Kazooie games in the sale.

I wish State of Decay would come out! Very much looking forward to it, they've said on twitter that June 5th was a leaked internal date and its not accurate. Also want them to announce price but i've seen 1600pts?

aku:jiki

Haha, wow, Hunter's Trophy: Australia is probably the most shameless game I've ever seen. It's the exact same game as the America edition! I started noticing it on like level 2, "hey, that island looks familiar..." but about 10 levels into it, it's pretty clear that every single level is just copy-paste. The only work they put in is giving the dog a different skin, and they put in some australian trees and bushes and shit, I guess. Everything else is just pasted. They didn't even bother with switching up the order of the levels, far as I can tell.

Come on with letting shit like that through, Microsoft. Seriously now.

Any impressions on CastleStorm yet? Most every review seems quite positive from what I found doing some searches around but I always enjoy seeing some impressions in this thread.

Grisby

Won't be able to try Castlestorm till tomorrow but the trial dl was only 235mb. Surprised at the small download.

Curious to see how it plays as the screens make it look gorgeous.

I have almost 6K xbox live points and the following games:

Metal slug 3
Fruit Ninja Kinect
The Maw
Toy Soldiers
The Walking Dead
Kinect Party
Braid
Duke Nukem 3D
Limbo
Super Meat Boy
Earthworm Jim
Perfect Dark
Geometrial Wars Evolved
Banjo Kazookie
Ikaruga

Any games you guys would like to recommend me? Thanks!

BTW, i'm also really sad that the Xbox One won't be BC compatible. I love xbox arcade a lot.

mujun

Any impressions on CastleStorm yet? Most every review seems quite positive from what I found doing some searches around but I always enjoy seeing some impressions in this thread.

Seems great to me.

Love the look of it and while being complicated the controls seem quite elegantly done and like they and the game will offer quite a bit of depth.

You basically operate a ballista on your castle and try to shoot the enemies castle in an attempt to destroy it. At the same time the enemy will shoot at you and send out troops. You can counter troops by sending your own or shooting them with your ballista.

You push the a button to shoot with your ballista and also to change to it if you are doing something else (sending out troops with X or using special abilities like teleport with Y).

You scroll between ballista ammo, troop types, abilities, etc by using the RB/LB. Ballista ammo includes arrows, splitting rock shots, apple bombs, etc.

Seems like you could win by concentrating on troops or shooting, etc.

I'm hoping that you can choose what you want to level up (speed up cooldowns on ballista shots or speed up resource production to spit out troops quicker, etc).

There are sixty levels between two campaigns.

Jhoan

Metal slug 3
Fruit Ninja Kinect
The Maw
Toy Soldiers
The Walking Dead
Kinect Party
Braid
Duke Nukem 3D
Limbo
Super Meat Boy
Earthworm Jim
Perfect Dark
Geometrial Wars Evolved
Banjo Kazookie
Ikaruga

BTW, i'm also really sad that the Xbox One won't be BC compatible. I love xbox arcade a lot.

These are some of the many XBLA games that I have:

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger (unless you have it for PC) is this month's best XBLA game.
Shadow Complex
Mark of The Ninja (also on Steam),
Dust: An Elysian Tail ( also on Steam),
Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World: The Game
Trials HD and Evolution
Joe Danger: Special Edition
Toy Soldiers: Cold War
Phantom Breaker: Battlegrounds
Battlefield: 1943
Iron Brigade
Costume Quest
Assault Heroes
Quarrel
Bionic Commando: Rearmed

I have too many damn XBLA games for my own good and can go on and on but I think that's enough.

Seems great to me.

Love the look of it and while being complicated the controls seem quite elegantly done and like they and the game will offer quite a bit of depth.

You basically operate a ballista on your castle and try to shoot the enemies castle in an attempt to destroy it. At the same time the enemy will shoot at you and send out troops. You can counter troops by sending your own or shooting them with your ballista.

You push the a button to shoot with your ballista and also to change to it if you are doing something else (sending out troops with X or using special abilities like teleport with Y).

You scroll between ballista ammo, troop types, abilities, etc by using the RB/LB. Ballista ammo includes arrows, splitting rock shots, apple bombs, etc.

Seems like you could win by concentrating on troops or shooting, etc.

I'm hoping that you can choose what you want to level up (speed up cooldowns on ballista shots or speed up resource production to spit out troops quicker, etc).

There are sixty levels between two campaigns.

Thanks for the thoughts. I'll snag it since it sounds like quality all around and to support Zen Studios in branching out (though I've also purchased over half of their Pinball tables already). Last night when I was searching for reviews this one mentions the game only having twelve levels in the campaign and that seemed extremely short for this style of game so that really made me hesitant. I won't be getting the game for multiplayer so with a campaign that sounded far too short the value felt lacking. But sixty levels? That's definitely enough and possibly a little too much for me, heh.

Anyhow, thanks.

It's starting to drop now (CA and GB) but not the US atm. Shouldn't take too long for it to propagate to every region.

Yep, it went down. Got it :)

Metal slug 3
Fruit Ninja Kinect
The Maw
Toy Soldiers
The Walking Dead
Kinect Party
Braid
Duke Nukem 3D
Limbo
Super Meat Boy
Earthworm Jim
Perfect Dark
Geometrial Wars Evolved
Banjo Kazookie
Ikaruga

Above all else get Mark Of The Ninja. Thank me later.

Top Bottom