• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Olympic swim star Michael Phelps wins another gold...in drunk driving!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AirBrian

Olympic swim star Phelps faces drunken driving charges

Tue Nov 9, 8:37 AM ET

BALTIMORE, United States (AFP) - Olympic swim star Michael Phelps (news - web sites), whose eight medals at the Athens Olympics included six golds, is devastated and

Maryland state police confirmed the arrest of the 19-year-old American hero last Thursday in Salisbury after his utility vehicle failed to halt at a stop sign. Two passengers were in the vehicle, police said.

Phelps, two years younger than the state's legal age for drinking alcohol, also faces charges of impaired driving, failing to stop and violating license restrictions.

"Last week I made a mistake," Phelps said in a prepared statement. "Getting into a vehicle after anything to drink is wrong, dangerous and unacceptable.

"I'm 19 but I was taught no matter how old you are you should take responsibility for your actions, which I will do. I made a mistake and I'm sorry about it."

Phelps could lose lucrative sponsorship deals and spend time behind bars. First-time drunk driving offenders in Maryland faces up to one year in jail and a 1,000-dollar fine.

Bob Bowman, Phelps' coach, told the Chicago Tribune that his star pupil was "devastated and rightly so".

"He feels he has let the world down and in a way he has," Bowman said. "He's fully aware he made a huge mistake. It's going to hurt his reputation. That's what breaks my heart. How he handles it from here will determine how much it hurts."

Phelps was chasing the one-Olympic record of seven gold medals set by Mark Spitz (news - web sites) but fell one title short, settling for six golds and two bronzes.

He missed out on a one million-dollar bonus that would have come from matching Spitz, but that Speedo sponsor deal included another chance at the jackpot at the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

With behavoir clauses common in such contracts, that bonus bonanza might not be available to Phelps should he be guilty of drunken driving. Speedo's deal, reportedly worth 500,000 dollars a year through 2009, might be gone as well.

"Our only comment at this time is to offer Michael support," Speedo Vice President Stu Isaac told the Tribune.

Phelps was polanning to move later this month to Michigan to continue his training with Bowman, now the men's swim coach at the University of Michigan.
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/20041109/ts_alt_afp/swim_usa_phelps_041109133751

This could cost him some bonus money.

...and now he's conspiring with Jamal Lewis!

14991805.jpg

AirBrian said:
14991805.jpg

"Don't worry Michael, just say the word and I'll get Ray to 'take care' of your problem."
No way, dude. Ray's as gentle as a lamb, and didn't kill anybody. Jamal and Phelps were probably doing a coke deal.

This is the banner ad at the Baltimore Sun website featuring the Phelps arrest article:

health_fitness_house_7281.gif

I'll bet that BMW dealership is really glad they signed on for this!

Well from the news story they make it sound like he wasn't actually drunk. It sounds like he simply had some low level of alcohol in his system, but not enough for a DWI. Impaired Driving charges are different. Also since he is underage any BAC is considered drunk driving. So he seriously could have had a .02 BAC or something like. Something not really impairing, but he was still charged because he is underage. just remember it can happen to you!

These damn athletes- "I can run fast!" "I'm strong!" "I'm the best!" blah, blah, blah.
But can you hold your liquor, punks? NO! I can, so therefore I am as good as you.

Jim Bowie said:
The arresting officer, while doing his job, must feel like a douche today.

I sure hope not. Phelps is no different than anyone else under the eyes of the law. He deserves what he gets.

Pimpwerx

Tea Master said:
Do you have any idea how dangerous drunk driving is?
As dangerous as driving home during rush hour? :lol

Seriously, drunk driving is dangerous, but the soccer mom talking on her cell phone in her SUV is probably more likely to kill you. Back in the day, they used to just send you home if they caught you driving drunk. They need more drunk cab services. Boston was great for that. You could always hop on the T, no matter how shitfaced you were, you didn't have to drive. But realistically, you can be charged with drunk driving and still be driving much better than someone who's cold sober. The limits are just retarded low IMO, and they keep trying to lower it further. PEACE.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Pimpwerx said:

Seriously, drunk driving is dangerous, but the soccer mom talking on her cell phone in her SUV is probably more likely to kill you. Back in the day, they used to just send you home if they caught you driving drunk. They need more drunk cab services. Boston was great for that. You could always hop on the T, no matter how shitfaced you were, you didn't have to drive. But realistically, you can be charged with drunk driving and still be driving much better than someone who's cold sober. The limits are just retarded low IMO, and they keep trying to lower it further. PEACE.

Actually, there was a study released that displayed traffic accidents for 2003 and cell phone related accidents were only 6% -- meanwhile alcohol was number 1 and i think sleep deprivation was 2.

Jim Bowie

DJ Demon J said:
I sure hope not. Phelps is no different than anyone else under the eyes of the law. He deserves what he gets.

tea master said:
Do you have any idea how dangerous drunk driving is?

Do you have any idea what reading comprehension is? I said he was doing his job. But to be known throughout the whole town is the arrester of American pride? That'd make me feel pretty uncomfortable, I'll tell you what.

To recap, Good job arresting officer, you might feel like a jerk, but you were doing your job.

Shinobi

Pimpwerx said:

Not in this town...traffic's too clogged for anything to happen. :lol

I've got zero use for drunk driving...there's simply no excuse for it at anytime. That said half the drivers on the road up here fucking suck regardless, so driving is an adventure regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom