• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TRUTHFACT: MS having eSRAM yield problems on Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah wasn't the gamecube more profitable that which is all that needs to be said in regards to margins (don't think it's even broke even yet).
It's hard to gauge how profitable the Gamecube was as the only financial numbers we have include the GBA sales, which was doing great at the time.

Just bet your account and everything will be resolved this way.

Either you lie (or your source may feed you with crap) or you are telling truth and you will join insider circle on jaf.

Gies also came here to post about things which ultimately ware false and sold them as truth because he had his sources.

I did so from the very first time I said what I said, because I think there should be consequences when someone says something as definitively as I said it without providing all of you with any proof. And lol, no, that shouldn't be all it takes to resolve everything, but I knew I was going to get a ton of crap for saying what I said, especially when I'm relatively new here. Not new to register, just new to post regularly.

BigDug13

Compare the first year of the PS3 to the momentum Sony had from the PS2.

It took years for Sony to get their shit together and overtake the 360.

But they still did it and it was important heading into this generation. They absolutely needed to stay relevant and at least stay afloat with the cutting edge games through this generation.

Cosmozone

The Wii U horrible sales might be a combination of Nintendo incompetence and the fact the market is not really there anymore
This is the first time I've seen the term 'incompetence' in this thread and its directed at Nintendo, heh. Makes me feel MS is still getting the pass after all these major blunders. If Xbone is successful, there's nobody else to blame than blind consumers. How they even got away with the RROD disaster is still beyond me.

neither

Why don't they just delay the thing
instead of releasing a half baked machine?
a delay really just sounds like the best thing to do

prag16

Banned
Yeah wasn't the gamecube more profitable that which is all that needs to be said in regards to margins (don't think it's even broke even yet).

Not broke even? HA. Their games division lost well over 4 b-b-billion dollars (billion with a B) before they started scraping their way back slowly. At least 3 billion of that is still down the toilet.

EDIT: This has been posted here numerous times before, but just to give an idea: http://i.imgur.com/zYw1A.jpg

But they still did it and it was important heading into this generation. They absolutely needed to stay relevant and at least stay afloat with the cutting edge games through this generation.
Yeah, but the 3rd console curse was still there. Sony just managed to conquer it halfway through the console's lifespan.

Doesn't change that the first couple years for the PS3 were pretty unsightly.

EDIT: My guess still is they just short the supply and not down clock. Unless the yields are really really terrible... But then if I was MSFT I would be getting pissed at TSMC/AMD because they promised they could build the sucker.

They knew who they were working with. If they assumed they could get good yields from TSMC/GloFlo and AMD, then Microsoft deserves all of this.

AMD is the company that ALWAYS has yield problems with new designs. Bulldozer had huge clock speed problems and Llano had huge problems too. What makes this 5 billion transistor chip any different?

Danielsan

Crazy Buttocks clearly has some sort of a connection to MS hardware as he/she/it leaked a bunch of 360 stuff too. His history doesn't lie.
Crazy Buttock's post have gotten more crazy over time, but going back to that thread I absolutely love this post:

crazy buttocks on a train, how are you tied in with MSFT or how did you come across this info? what are your credentials and why should we believe this? I'm not doubting you, just curious who you are and where you kick it.
friend I cant tell u for sure, there are lives at stake and loose lips sink trains. just know that I run with the stars and dance in the moonlightof the informatino highway, as data and information seep into my pores like Neoromancer brand tanning lotion

all I have is my balls and my word and i give my word that i will never steer you wrong

BigDug13

Didn't stop them from releasing the 360 with a high failure rate.

Remember how originally they were kicking around the idea of telling people "too bad" if their 90 day warranty was out? That Microsoft, always looking out for the consumer.

They knew who they were working with. If they assumed they could get good yields from TSMC/GloFlo and AMD, then Microsoft deserves all of this.

Also... what the hell happened with "AMD isn't building the processors, just designing them"? Seems to me that if they went with an ERAM design and it's not working, they should be speaking with whatever company they contracted to make the parts, not necessarily who designed them (and Microsoft isn't new to the hardware game, they knew what they'd be getting into with certain designs)

Perkel

Banned
I did so from the very first time I said what I said, because I think there should be consequences when someone says something as definitively as I said it without providing all of you with any proof. And lol, no, that shouldn't be all it takes to resolve everything, but I knew I was going to get a ton of crap for saying what I said, especially when I'm relatively new here. Not new to register, just new to post regularly.

You get ton of crap because your information contradicts other proven insiders information.

Time will tell.

daveo42

Banned
Why don't they just delay the thing
instead of releasing a half baked machine?
a delay really just sounds like the best thing to do

They basically do not want to launch too far after the PS4 and lose a year's worth of sales to Sony. Since there are already a ton of cross-gen games already coming out this fall from third parties, delaying even to Spring would mean potentially losing sales driven by better looking/running versions of those AAA titles.

It would make sense to delay it, but MS has already made their bed and now they'll have to sleep in it.

RayMaker

Banned
Altough games are what matters most, hardware is also very important in the sense that its gonna affect every (multiplatform) game I buy in the future for the next 5-7 years (my pc is not that good...to say the least). Ps 4 is just infinitely more appealing as of now, and I prefer to only have 1 console (already bought wii u). However, I might make an exception and buy a ps4 if money allows it.
That said, I am curious about the launch price of both the x1 and ps4.

Slightly more ontopic, I am quite baffled how microsoft was so badly caught off guard by the competition. I mean, they launched first with 360 nearly 8 (!) Years ago. And their precence on 360 has been dwindling since the last 2 years so I assumed they were working night and day on the successor already. Werent they continually researching future tech like everyone else onwards the launch of a new console? If you'd ask me 2 years ago I wouldve said microsoft was in a better position to launch a new console coming from the massively succesful 360 than sony, who were, certainly the first two years since the launch of the ps3, struggling.

Surprising how some things turn out, although this outcome as of now may have quite complex reasons.

A lot of what you said applies even more so to the WiiU yet you still buy one?

Nikodemos

I am surprised the suits at Sony allowed Cerny to make the GDDR5 gamble. Props to them for allowing it and it seems to have paid off so far.
It was the only option which had, allowing for a fair bit of luck, a chance at overtaking MS while keeping the system simple and still relatively cheap.

Cerny receiving confimation on 8 GB feasibility was what spurred Sony's leadership to do that 20 Feb. pre-emptive strike. Its slightly stilted pace at some points is due to the haste it was concocted with.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
ucan remo.ve RUMUR frmo hte thread tittle TEAMMOD. esram yieldls. are "troubling"toput it lightly.

truthfact.

btw youiw lil not njhear abouthing about tech atMS E3 presentation. tech tarbaby (notracistst!) IS TSTICKIER THAN YOU WIL EVER KNOW. I LOOK FORWARF TO READING THE BOOK BY VENTUREBEAT.

theyMSrushed. --caughtoutbysonychangs. leadershitfailure.p.
The GOAT has spoken.

kasane

Then why don't they cancel Xbone then move the infinite power of the cloud to the 360!

In all seriousness tho, I learned a lot from reading stuff in this thread.
Thanks gaf

Amir0x

Banned
I am still in shock at how big of a clusterfuck this is.

● The worst most, mis-communicated reveal in game industry history other than maybe Saturn.
● Once every 24 hour internet check just to be able to continue to play your games
● A horrendous proprietary used game system that gives pubs and Microsoft a 10% of the profits, thus ensuring the deals one can get on Used games are reduced and having less options for every gamer
● Complete inability to rent, lend or borrow games without paying a "fee", since every game must be installed. And the fee is the price of a brand new game, which Phil Harrison tells us to "think of it like a new game", because he is an abominable retard.
● Complete fucking tall tales and fabrications regarding the "Infinite Power of Cloud" which they did because...
● ...their system is a woefully underpowered trojan horse arbitrarily increased in price because of...
● ...a piece of shit dead-end gaming technology called "Kinect 2.0" which on top of being complete garbage for most genres, also is packed in with every system and...
● ...is also a horrendous invasion of privacy since it cannot be shut off without unplugging the system.
● A console which is also, after all this time, having massive eSRAM yield issues because Microsoft is caught rushing the One to the market.
● Also, contrary to the forward thinking Sony and - holy shit - Nintendo, they won't allow indies to self-publish. For no reason at all other than to be awkward, I suppose.
● Continuing this theme, they are also much, much further behind in supporting indies this go around than PS4 is, thus failing to capitalize on the good will engendered from Indies on 360.
● And they wasted their reveal talking about TV, TV, TV, TV, TV to do a function that nobody in their right mind would do if they had a DVR, to talk about sports and Kinect and have only two real games at their reveal.
● And is now liberally peppering all their attacks with a unhealthy dose of aggressive arrogance.
● On top of that gigantic shit sandwich, they have now also canceled their post-E3 media roundtable, presumably because they're tired of being eviscerated and embarrassed non-stop since January 2013. Once again, because of shit they did and no one else.
● Plus their presentation of their OS at the media reveal was confirmed to be completely fake, which wouldn't have been terrible except the entire time of the reveal they were trying to convince people it was real. "See how fast this thing moves!?"
● One final tip: Their dev tools are also comically behind its primary competitor.

Funny stuff that is just random and hilarious and not really life ending:

● And just for a cherry on top, because this final one is more hilarious than game changing or anything, Xbox Netherlands was caught borrowing images of PS4 exclusives to make their system look more appealing (thanks to JollyCorner for this tip)

DID I MISS ANYTHING GUYZ? Because holy goddamn shit at this point. This has been without exception the most biblical epic failure of console reveals, even topping the PS3's $599.99 just for its sheer confounding, aimless nonsense since the beginning of 2013. Not a single day has passed by without some relentless bit of tortuously negative Xbox One news.

The kicker? This is ALL Microsoft's fault and they should have seen the reaction coming a mile away since the problems they introduced of their own free will has been eviscerated among gamers and the press for years now, to say nothing of things like the Sim City or Diablo III debacle.

The proof is in the pudding. Holy goddamn fuck

flash ban

Banned
I have a feeling he already has indirectly and privately to the mods. Unless insider claims are being less enforced these days.

And so far, nothing really goes against his claims, and may honestly be hard to ever prove without knowing original specs. I guess as long as it meets or exceeds the leaked specs he is ok? But still I think that isn't very good proof either for the flip of the coin IMO.

EDIT: My guess still is they just short the supply and not down clock. Unless the yields are really really terrible... But then if I was MSFT I would be getting pissed at TSMC/AMD because they promised they could build the sucker.

how do you know they promised? maybe they warned microsoft, and microsoft ignored the warnings.
They don't think they can afford to give Sony the holiday season all by themselves, I guess.
if the yields are still really bad they will effectively have done so even if they don't delay.

They definitely sold a solid amount of units, and put themselves in a decent position going into gen 8, while building up a strong stable of first party offerings that obliterates MSFT and trades blows with Nintendo. So they have that going for them at least.

8 to 10 is a very aggressive estimate for installed base by the end of the year. Impossibly aggressive even.

Also, are we sure we have definitive proof that Ubi ported the Wii U version of Watch Dogs from PC and hadn't started PS360 versions yet? I don't remember that 'report' or whatever it was a couple months ago being quite so clear on the matter.

The architecture may be easier to port to from PS4/720 than PS360 in certain ways (GPU heavy architecture with GPGPU and "weaker" shorter pipelined OoO CPU) but that doesn't mean it'll get ports let alone be the lowest common denominator that becomes lead platform. As others have pointed out, if 3rd party sales on Nintendo platforms hold to form, Wii U could still end up with only table scraps.

Your entire post is an extreme best case scenario for the Wii U that is extremely farfetched even to most Nintendo die hards I'd wager.

I dunno which gen would actually be easier to port from. Take your pick: SIMD heavy PPC code or a 5 cpu core gap and massive difference in useable RAM? Wii U is kinda in no man's land

On topic, I believe MS will go with lower production rather than cut specs further. This eSRAM is real SRAM? How much die space must it take up? Sheesh...

Raist

Banned

● The worst most, mis-communicated reveal in game industry history other than maybe Saturn.
● Once every 24 hour internet check just to be able to continue to play your games
● A horrendous proprietary used game system that gives pubs and Microsoft a 10% of the profits, thus ensuring the deals one can get on Used games are reduced and having less options for every gamer
● Complete inability to rent, lend or borrow games without paying a "fee", since every game must be installed. And the fee is the price of a brand new game, which Phil Harrison tells us to "think of it like a new game", because he is an abominable retard.
● Complete fucking tall tales and fabrications regarding the "Infinite Power of Cloud" which they did because...
● ...their system is a woefully underpowered trojan horse arbitrarily increased in price because of...
● ...a piece of shit dead-end gaming technology called "Kinect 2.0" which on top of being complete garbage for most genres, also is packed in with every system and...
● ...is also a horrendous invasion of privacy since it cannot be shut off without unplugging the system.
● A console which is also, after all this time, having massive eSRAM yield issues because Microsoft is caught rushing the One to the market.
● And they wasted their reveal talking about TV, TV, TV, TV, TV to do a function that nobody in their right mind would do if they had a DVR, to talk about sports and Kinect and have only two real games at their reveal.
● And is now liberally peppering all their attacks with a unhealthy dose of aggressive arrogance.

DID I MISS ANYTHING GUYZ? Because holy goddamn shit at this point. This has been without exception the most biblical epic failure of console reveals, even topping the PS3's $599.99 just for its sheer confounding, aimless nonsense since the beginning of 2013. Not a single day has passed by without some relentless bit of tortuously negative Xbox One news.

Cancelling the pre-show and the post-show roundtable at E3.

The kicker? This is ALL Microsoft's fault and they should have seen the reaction coming a mile away since the problems they introduced of their own free will has been eviscerated among gamers and the press for years now, to say nothing of things like the Sim City or Diablo III debacle.

Putting it in perspective, yep, this is pretty much the PR blunder of the century. It'll take real talent to trip this badly in this industry for years to come.

You get ton of crap because your information contradicts other proven insiders information.

Time will tell.

As it should. I don't expect people to suddenly believe a poster they hardly know. People are simply doing what's reasonable, and I have no beef with that. The only aspect I disagree with is the gpu downclock. I agreed immediately that the ESRAM issues were in fact legit.

Putting it in perspective, yep, this is pretty much the PR blunder of the century. It'll take real talent to trip this badly in this industry for years to come.

See, I don't agree with all of that up top. Nobody wants to connect their DVR into their Xbox One? I sure as hell want to if my Fios receiver is supported... It's an option, one that I happen to think is cool. I wouldn't care one way or the other if the console couldn't do such a thing, but why if it's there and I can possibly take advantage of it, would I not choose to do so? I seriously wouldn't mind my television and console working on the exact same input simultaneously. Is it the end of the world if a console makes me do it the way we do it now? Of course not, I'm completely use to doing it. It's not a must have feature, but if a console makes it so that I don't have to worry about it, why not? It's just the little details, man. The games are still going to be what's most important, but these little things along the edges I think matter, too, even if they don't necessarily matter to everybody.

And regarding the Kinect complaints, somehow I expect we will have options to mute it and turn off the camera, but we'll have to still keep it plugged in no doubt. Kinect is such a non-issue for me, it still stuns me that people are as bothered by it as they are. Microsoft is hardly the company that wants to be involved in a major problem over the privacy of customers, but not everybody sees it that way.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Is there reasoning behind cboats posting format? I feel like I'm reading into someone's mind that I shouldn't be

Some assume he does that to hide any trace of his posting / writing style.

Yes. Company takes their email server, takes their troublesome leaked message, and spins them together to see which writing styles are a match. Then someone gets talked to.

OnFire331

This is the third console curse in full swing.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

In his defense, CBoaT, at least, did not mention anything about downclocking. Only serious yield problems, but not how Microsoft will react to them.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

On stage UI demonstration was all faked
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=576505

Chozolore

Remember how originally they were kicking around the idea of telling people "too bad" if their 90 day warranty was out? That Microsoft, always looking out for the consumer.
yep my launch 360 RROD just outside warranty (uk), no joy from MS, they quite litterally extended the warranty a couple of weeks after it was on a land fill somewhere. Didnt stop me from buying two more.

...also 3 playstation 3

Septimius

Diving headfirst into every negative sounding rumor, completely working ourselves into a frenzy will easily make it look like there's a 5 alarm fire over at MS HQ. It isn't hard to do, I've seen it many times before.

Aside from everything about you just seeming off, I can't peg you from being a poor excuse of an MS-sent sentinel to mitigate damage or just a fan boy that wants so hard to believe, but this line, specially, is the exact same thing you've done before. It's special pleading. You're completely ruling out obvious things, and trying to make points moot by writing them off as something it's not. The whole percentage shit. It's so insignificant that only a PR-representative would be hung up on it. The same thing with this. "I've seen it before"? "I always do this when I compare"? It's just special pleading. It's bullshit. EDIT: I mean, look at the monumental list of all the crap MS have managed to concoct with this box, and how there are no responses from MS from things that are damaging their reputation. It's because they're all true, and they know the less they say, the better. When you look at that, you should be able to see how massively out of sync you are with the desert of the real itself.

There are nothing but negative rumors about MS. That has nothing to do with what people WANT to believe or what people jump on. It's how it is. MS are being smart by shutting up about bad news as long as they can. We're practically waiting for the Friday they can drop all the crap on us, and then give us the weekend to look at some pretty games.

I'd just feel a bit annoyed if it turned out you were just a fanboy that so desperately wants this box not to fail, but at the same time, it comes across as exactly the same type of sleazy tactics MS have been deploying so far. Everything about their reveal was phoney, from the applause, to the UI, to the kinect, to their words, to their implementations and their "new AI". The fact that I can't distinguish a fanboy from an MS sentry is quite sad, really.

MarkusRJR

You left out the fact that MS faked the entire reveal's OS demonstration and that the current version of it seemingly runs at a super low frame rate in Snap mode (think Perfect Dark low) and has odd studders.

Oh, and MS also removed their E3 Q & A panel so press seemingly can't ask questions or bring awareness to any of the above issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom