• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3's HOME: Leaks/Impressions/Screens - 56k? Not really

Ploid 3.0

PS360 said:
I know it's going to take a while but Home, when games are integrated into it, has the opportunity to put match-making on a whole new level.

private spaces for specific games and being able to enter games from Home will make game finding much more interactive and effective. Clans can meet in private spaces and bullshit or strategize or wait for fellow members before going into a game.

I'm sure people at Sony are already aware of all these ideas. I just wonder how long it's going to take them to implement them.

Also, it's clear that Home is expected to become a base for future Sony consoles. By the time the PS4 (?) hits, I think it's going to be a very functional application and have a really robust community. It'll be those things before PS4, of course, but...you know what I mean.

OMG the PS9 commercial was true. The guy was already in a game/home v7.4 and accessing other games to swim and such. OMG The future!!! (ok but seriously lol, PS9 is going to be woah)

Kittonwy

Banned
M3Freak said:
Some more minor impressions, hopefully not "booted-out-of-beta-territory":

- saw Tonx, AgentX, Wollan and Marconelly running around in Home. I also saw some guy named johnnytv (is he from GAF too??).
- lots of people playing games in Home
- people mash up and start dancing for no apparent reason - ALL THE TIME
- any female avatar is immediately torpedoed by 50% of the guy avatars in the immediate vicinity., all of whom start either dancing, typing, talking, gesturing, or all 4 at the same time.
- Wollan was walking around as a girl.
- I'm getting random XMB buddy invites from people in Home

I think that's all fairly safe stuff. At any rate, the NDA gives permission to share info about Home with family and close friends. That's exactly what I'm doing, so no detailed reports from me here or to random people.

When I'm finally HOME I'll be dancing ALL NIGHT!!!
Indifferent2.gif

ROFFLES @ Wollan trying to get hit on.
Indifferent2.gif

M3Freak

Banned
PS360 said:
I know it's going to take a while but Home, when games are integrated into it, has the opportunity to put match-making on a whole new level.

private spaces for specific games and being able to enter games from Home will make game finding much more interactive and effective. Clans can meet in private spaces and bullshit or strategize or wait for fellow members before going into a game.

The GAF Resistance: Fall of Man clan needs this RIGHT NOW. It will make our clan nights much, much more fun, and easier for all of us to hook up. We're usually left to yelling out who's signing in to PSN, and then have to wait to see if the person is going to join the game or not. That's gotten old really fast.

antiloop

-Rogue5- said:
I see what you did there... and whole heartedly approve. : )

Everyone in the beta, start making with the requests as soon as feedback is requested!

Yup, beta-people use your power!

Ranger X

_leech_ said:
What part of "beta" and "unfinished" don't you understand?

"beta" for most devs means all their features are implemented and that only debugging is left to be done...

But hey, just playing with ya ;)

Jim

Holy crap! Avatars looks far more "realistic" (as opposed to cartoon-like) and detailed than I expected.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yep that's very nice.

I still want my FFXII judge armor... Not games shirts.

Daym at the graphics and RUBBER BOB! So awesome, I will be spending lots of time in HOME... 6 months from now :(.

The only thing that sucks is the fact that I don't have a PS3 in my office.

spwolf

those arcades/short games look like fun... imagine if you had to put in a quarter to play (you dont, I am just saying)... People complain about PSN games costing up to $10, but not so long ago we played arcades chunk of change, per game...

chriskzoo

Banned
I really hope Sony snaps up all the old arcade games and throws them into the virtual arcade for free - as opposed to $5 each on XBLA. Seriously, how awesome would this be:

arcade84.jpg

chriskzoo said:
I really hope Sony snaps up all the old arcade games and throws them into the virtual arcade for free - as opposed to $5 each on XBLA. Seriously, how awesome would this be:

Free?

How about a quarter for old times sake ;)

Or even, a dollar for 20 minutes at the arcade?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
This is far and above what I expected...
PLUS this are not doctored photos, they are from actual TVs on an actual PS3.

Amazing

Keep in mind people, that arcade shot is not real, but from somewhere else.
Needless to say it's certainly possible with this engine...

Arcades could be back, we have come full circle again.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
sonycowboy said:
Free?

How about a quarter for old times sake ;)

Or even, a dollar for 20 minutes at the arcade?

"sonycowboy" no kidding:p

Busty

Banned
Endless said:

Those shots look amazing, but could someone who's in on the HOME beta report back with some details on what these games are and how they play?

It would be interesting to see how many are made by internal SCEE teams and how many are made by smaller indy teams.

I'm sure I read in an interview with someone at Zoe Mode (formerly Kuju Brighton) that they were working in house on some small HOME arcade cabinet games. It seems that SONY are pushing for games to fill these cabinets alongside the 'larger' paid content for PSN such as Super Rub-a-dub and TEKKEN DR rather than replace it.

Rubber Bob FTW!!!!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Phil Harrison has mentioned the possibility of people creating their own arcade games via C++ (or some language) and submitting them for potential use in Home.

Speevy

Banned
This stuff looks so cool.

I don't think I could resist the urge to use this service Dead Rising style. Join a horde of users and chase down unsuspecting gamers.

mabuza

Banned
its funny there are some amazing games coming this year on all platforms, but this is my most anticipated. i cant ****ing wait. i just hope i dont get bored with it quickly

mabuza said:
its funny there are some amazing games coming this year on all platforms, but this is my most anticipated. i cant ****ing wait. i just hope i dont get bored with it quickly

As long as they keep the arcade games coming they'll have people in HOME for long periods of time. That's one way to keep and attract hardcore gamers to HOME. Especially if they do what was mentioned above and start adding arcade classics into it.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Jim said:
Holy crap! Avatars looks far more "realistic" (as opposed to cartoon-like) and detailed than I expected.

HOLY SHIT indeed. **** I WANT HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I'm pretty sure there wont be free arcade classics, but rather free simple games like the ones in Home already.

Devs like Namco would probably charge for adding their classics into the Home cabinets (though seeing as it would be stripped of a UI and the basic semi-flash of the $5 PSN titles like Mortal Kombat II, one would think it could fetch a decent $2-4 price).

chubigans said:
I'm pretty sure there wont be free arcade classics, but rather free simple games like the ones in Home already.

Devs like Namco would probably charge for adding their classics into the Home cabinets (though seeing as it would be stripped of a UI and the basic semi-flash of the $5 PSN titles like Mortal Kombat II, one would think it could fetch a decent $2-4 price).

That would be fine i'd think, especially sonycowboys way of paying for hours on the machine, so you pay a dollar and get an hour of time to play the game.

PS360 said:

Isn't all of that stuff that can be done just as effectively with standardized lobbies and voice chat, no 3D virtual world required?

What would be really cool, if the old arcade classic games, you purchased from PS store, were available to play in the Arcade room i.e. MK II 2player game, when you invited your friend to the arcade. In addittion to the whole communal/social gamingg aspect could be tied into the homebrew community to submit their project ot sony for bug testing and if and when it passess the qualification, your game goes into the arcade. It will be up to the independent dev. to charge an nominal fee.

This will be perfect for the "GAME 3.0" initiative.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Isn't all of that stuff that can be done just as effectively with standardized lobbies and voice chat, no 3D virtual world required?

Home isn't simply a 3D world; it can all be accessed in the XMB using the standard text and display if that's what you want.

anddo0 said:
lol, its only temporary.. Sorry I didn't realize this was your box..I'm slumming until I officially get into the beta:lol

Hah, hopefully I'll lose it soon as well. :D

Tiduz

Eurogaime
i really want to try this out, but itll be even better in the FINAL stage, that doesnt mean that IF in july the open beta starts i wont try to get in tho :lol

theBishop

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:

not really. even if you've been in a clan for a long time, you don't really know the members besides a 120x120px avatar.

if you can enter a 3d lobby after each game with a visual representation of the player, you'll get to know the members of your clan better, and the sense of community be that much stronger.

jiggle

gluv65 said:
What would be really cool, if the old arcade classic games, you purchased from PS store, were available to play in the Arcade room i.e. MK II 2player game, when you invited your friend to the arcade. In addittion to the whole communal/social gamingg aspect could be tied into the homebrew community to submit their project ot sony for bug testing and if and when it passess the qualification, your game goes into the arcade. It will be up to the independent dev. to charge an nominal fee.

The arcade is in a public area though, don't see how that's possible...
But, if they let you have arcade furnitures...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
gluv65 said:

This will be perfect for the "GAME 3.0" initiative.

I'm not sure if PSN downloadable games will ever be playable via the arcade cabinets, but the latter bit would indeed be very cool indeed. Someone did ask Phil Harrison about the possibility of allowing that, and he said it's something they might do if they can wrap things up into a nice SDK. From the Developer Q+A it sounds like it should be pretty easy to import a game into Home (as long as it fits within any technical constraints placed on arcade games, i guess).

But yeah, that would be very exciting. Fingers crossed.

chubigans said:
Home isn't simply a 3D world; it can all be accessed in the XMB using the standard text and display if that's what you want.

Can it though? The apparent ease with which you will supposedly be able to manage a party of friends in Home, jumping from game to game, isn't something that you can do from the XMB at the moment, nor is it something that would fit as well there IMO. No console online service is offering that at the moment, but it fits quite naturally with Home and the representation it presents.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Something interesting that an EA employee posted on the IGN boards (in response to the Home beta being a bit limited):

"Right now HOME is featureless and a lot of functionality we have at work is not implemented yet. The home we have at work is down right fun. i dont know about you but our DL connections are pretty fast, but that could be due to our intranet or you have a poor ISP.

I spoke to friends of mine that are on the beta program and not a single one has a problem with DL's. Wait till you see what EA is doing with our lobbies and games. Remember HOME will succeed if players and companies want it to succeed not sony."

Top Bottom