• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3's HOME: Leaks/Impressions/Screens - 56k? Not really

jaypah

FootNinja said:
sigh..

more home threads :(
im feeling like oscar the grouch.

but Ocasr the Grouch has a home. he lives in a trashcan. but that's ideal for him though as he really likes trash. on a old episode he tried moving away but found the trashcan next to 123 Sesame street was where he wanted to be. i'd say you feel more like Joe Piscapo, actually Homeless.

Oni Jazar

Well this thread went to the crapper fast.

We need more impressions! How is th equality of the vids, how fast do they show up?

It sucks to hear that you can't put personal pictures or videos yet in your apartment. Hopefully they'll add that soon. You won't be able to share Blu-ray movies of that I'm sure, but I want to know if we can share entire episodes of something off of our hard drive or if it's size/space limited.

I hope we get the chance to stretch reality a little when it comes to character creation. I want funky hair styles and colours, and non-boring clothes (i.e. perhaps a Final Fantasy game could unlock all the characters outfits for you to add to your virtual wardrobe) other than the regular jeans/tshirt/sweater in these shots. It looks awfully realistic as it is. In the dull way.

I'll still download it as soon as I can, but please give us a bit of creativity regarding our avatars as well as our "apartments".

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Android18a said:
I hope we get the chance to stretch reality a little when it comes to character creation. I want funky hair styles and colours, and non-boring clothes (i.e. perhaps a Final Fantasy game could unlock all the characters outfits for you to add to your virtual wardrobe) other than the regular jeans/tshirt/sweater in these shots. It looks awfully realistic as it is. In the dull way.

I'll still download it as soon as I can, but please give us a bit of creativity regarding our avatars as well as our "apartments".

Game-based 'outfits' for your character might be a possibility. But in terms of reskinning your avatar to look entirely like a game character, I think Phil Harrison said that while they might allow that in the future, they'd probably limit that to your own apartment, so that in public spaces, things are consistent. Outfits might be considered differently, though.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The graphics are impressive and tasteful. I'm not saying anything new because you could see this all in the GDC trailers and videos if you look closely, and it's just like in those videos - everything casts a soft shadow/self shadow, there's HDR lighting and FSAA going on, framerate is 30FPS pretty much always, in some rooms even 60FPS, metal and glass have shine and reflections, etc.

Safe Bet

Banned
I wonder if we'll be able to play music from our PS3s in our appartments and if other users will be able to hear it when visiting...

Safe Bet said:
I wonder if we'll be able to play music from our PS3s in our appartments and if other users will be able to hear it when visiting...

That would be really cool. I'd blare out Jpop to all my friends and make them want to kill themselves :D

chriskzoo

Banned
Safe Bet said:

I am about 99.9% positive that Phil said this was in there.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Safe Bet said:

As per the official trailer, yes..music, photos and videos are shareable. You cannot give these things to other users, but when you're playing them in your apartment, visitors will hear/see them.

There may be fine print associated with sharing media (for example, some people are wondering if video length is limited or not), but for now we're none the wiser to that.

Safe Bet said:

Yes, that and playing videos on the TVs in your apartments was one of the things announced at GDC. It's not in the Beta yet though from what I've heard.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
HOMEHOBO.jpg

Safe Bet

Banned
gofreak said:
As per the official trailer, yes..music, photos and videos are shareable. You cannot give these things to other users, but when you're playing them in your apartment, visitors will hear/see them.
SAAWEEEETTTT.....

TY

GCQuinton

teiresias said:
I've seen that gif around, but I have no idea what show it's from, anyone know?

Saturday Night Live. It was a parody off an episode of American Idol when Sanjaya was singing and a little girl started crying.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Marconelly said:
The graphics are impressive and tasteful. I'm not saying anything new because you could see this all in the GDC trailers and videos if you look closely, and it's just like in those videos - everything casts a soft shadow/self shadow, there's HDR lighting and FSAA going on, framerate is 30FPS pretty much always, in some rooms even 60FPS, metal and glass have shine and reflections, etc.

I <3 you Marconelly. I knew you would give a good technical report. :)

Jim

Marconelly said:

1080p?

Any holy crap @ imageshack. Respawn windows from hell.

M3Freak

Banned
kylej said:
Open Beta in July? :O Does open = anyone with a PS3 can join?

The Open Beta period is going to be for people that sign up at the official Home beta website. I don't know if Sony will select everyone, but that's where the pool of testers will come from.

Home is cool - most everyone will love it. Even in it's current, sparse, form it's fun.

mckmas8808

M3Freak said:
The Open Beta period is going to be for people that sign up at the official Home beta website. I don't know if Sony will select everyone, but that's where the pool of testers will come from.

Home is cool - most everyone will love it. Even in it's current, sparse, form it's fun.

Have you played pool yet?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Oh yeah, shadow and even self shadow artifacting is absolutely minimal, and in general very well done - It almost looks like global illumination that they use in LBP but not quite that good. It's just nice to see that it's basically exactly like what they shown.

Jim said:
1080p?

Any holy crap @ imageshack. Respawn windows from hell.
I'm running it in 720p, because that's what my TV is, but I can try 1080i, if that works, 1080p for sure will too. I'll give it a shot when I get back home (hehe)

M3Freak

Banned
Some more minor impressions, hopefully not "booted-out-of-beta-territory":

- saw Tonx, AgentX, Wollan and Marconelly running around in Home. I also saw some guy named johnnytv (is he from GAF too??).
- lots of people playing games in Home
- people mash up and start dancing for no apparent reason - ALL THE TIME
- any female avatar is immediately torpedoed by 50% of the guy avatars in the immediate vicinity., all of whom start either dancing, typing, talking, gesturing, or all 4 at the same time.
- Wollan was walking around as a girl.
- I'm getting random XMB buddy invites from people in Home

I think that's all fairly safe stuff. At any rate, the NDA gives permission to share info about Home with family and close friends. That's exactly what I'm doing, so no detailed reports from me here or to random people.

M3Freak

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
Have you played pool yet?

Yes, with Tonx. I won - yeah!

Game is well done and easy to play. I'm not expecting the world from Home games, so I was satisfied with everything. A few were more fun, like the helicopter game (the one shown in the Home demos).

I suppose more games will be added down the road.

mckmas8808

M3Freak said:
Yes, with Tonx. I won - yeah!

Game is well done and easy to play. I'm not expecting the world from Home games, so I was satisfied with everything. A few were more fun, like the helicopter game (the one shown in the Home demos).

I suppose more games will be added down the road.

Can you play pool using the sixaxis to hit the ball? Like pull and push your actual controller instead of hit a face button?

Bebpo

Banned
Sounds like they are working with what they have within the confines of the current XMB mess.

Sony had better fix up the XMB by the time Home goes live because having to quit the game to accept invites from those you meet is awful.

Jim

Bebpo said:
Sounds like they are working with what they have within the confines of the current XMB mess.

Sony had better fix up the XMB by the time Home goes live because having to quit the game to accept invites from those you meet is awful.

Well, for any of that to happen, the firmware needs to be updated to allow those hooks and functions, so just running Home won't suddenly add that functionality.

I'm betting the 2.0 firmware will be huge.

Bebpo

Banned
Jim said:
Well, for any of that to happen, the firmware needs to be updated to allow those hooks and functions, so just running Home won't suddenly add that functionality.

That's what I mean. There needs to be some big XMB firmware changes before Home goes global if they want it to be become what they envisioned it to be.

B-Ri

Jim said:

ive always looked at ps3 as unfinished. With a 64mb impression on the ram, its leaving room for a lot of functionality. Remember when the haters said background downloading = impossible?

ha

People should really be contacting SCEE about the good and the bad sides of home and how it could be improved. That's what beta testing is for. :)

(and it'll make their lives much easier and our lives much much better when the final build releases)

Top Bottom