• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Sony need to respond? If so, how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forever

Banned
I've always been willing to give any platform a fair shake, although I admit to having a lot of affection for Nintendo franchises and creators. I owned all three consoles this gen.

That said, Sony won a lot of goodwill from me this E3 and Microsoft lost a lot of trust which they are going to have to work hard to win back. I don't think Sony has anything to respond to.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Yes. MS is getting so much media attention today. They also increased day one allotments to amazon.

Sony should do something.

Nah, Microsoft is playing catchup now. They still have several advantages; price, consumer trust, not looking like idiots, etc.

I don't mind the online play paywall so long as the service actually improves over time.

This. Why use extra fuel to extend your lead when you're already winning?

Uh 100 dollar less expensive and no Kinect is all they needed. Why should they respond to the fact that they just publicly embarassed MS on the world stage?

B.O.O.M

They have the cheaper and more powerful hardware. The only thing they need to do is keep the new game reveals coming going into gamescom and TGS this year.

farisr

They'll probably show more games off sooner rather than save them for later. Like instead of saving the next Naughty Dog game for the VGAs, they might show it off at gamescom or TGS instead.

They don't need to ''respond'' really but they cannot hold back on games anymore. I think they really held back at E3 because they could get free points with the DRM and price. Hopefully we will see some bombs at Gamescom and TGS.

Avtomat

Delay console till next year put cell + 1GB of ram in there for backward compatibility and running the OS announce bundle camera and profit.

lol what do they need to respond to? Their product is fine as it is. Would have liked a touch more power and motion controls but that's me

Josman

Yes Sony should release the console $100 cheaper with better hardware and less restrictive indie policies, that would work

Hawk269

Sony really can't say anything. Now more than ever it is going to come down to what is important and that is the games themselves. As someone that was at E3 and got to play all the PS4 and X1 games, in my opinion and I can't stress enough it is just my opinion, that what I played gave the edge to the X1 for games. There are a lot of people that were at E3 that also felt that way.

Even the press conference. Take away the DRM drum beat Sony used at their conference and you strip away everything except the GAMES and it was pretty clear that MS had more to show and more that is coming out this year. Sony had a lot of 2014 titles at their show and a lot of 3rd party games that are on the One as well.

This announcement just is going to make both MS and Sony really work on delivering great games. As an older gamer, I feel like I am in a time machine and it is the Genesis vs. Snes all over again and as a gamer those were great times with a shit load of great games. FIGHT!

Please note that I am posing a question, not giving a statement.

Obviously today's news evened the playing field when it comes to used games and online policies for both of the next gen consoles. Sony made a clear point of emphasizing all of the things Microsoft announced today for their box, which ate up quite a bit of time at their presser, and also gave them the lead when it comes to public image, word of mouth, etc.

Now that one of Sony's main advantages over MS is gone, do they need to do anything about it? I'd love to hear what GAF thinks. I personally feel that, despite today's announcement, Sony is in a good position for the launch of the PS4 this holiday, albeit slightly less dominating when it comes to bullet points over the competition.

Their console is still cheaper.

Ranger X

Sony just need to sit back and produce PS4s. That's all.
Their main advantage is still there, it's a more powerful machine for 100$ less.

KAL2006

Banned
Sony doesn't need to respond PS4 is cheaper, more powerful, comes with headset, PSN+ is better value than Gold, camera not required, and comes with a headset.

However I think Sony held back game announcements because of how terrible MS have been. I think now Sony will go all out with exclusives in Gamescom.

Uh 100 dollar less expensive and no Kinect is all they needed. Why should they respond to the fact that they just publicly embarassed MS on the world stage?

Because people want to beieve that Sony is now at a disadvantage. In reality they have goodwill, momentum, and from all that has been hinted, a ton of games in the pipelines. Add in the whispers that Titanfall's exclusivity was linked to always online drm...you have nothing but good news for Sony.

This feels like Sony is just sitting at a coffee table while Microsoft, blindfolded, is shooting guns wildly in the air

They don't need to do shit. Microsoft needs to make up the ground, not Sony.

This makes November even more interesting. We're going from PS2 level stuff to a road to something more even.

As another has stated, the best answer is no answer.

Since acknowledging that MS did something correct is a sign of showing that they perceive them as competition now.

They know pretty damned well that MS has dug themselves into a huge ass hole and doing some last minute switch-a-roo like this isnt going to save them instantly.

It's not last minute.

megalowho

Nah. If they came out with a "we're glad that Microsoft has chosen to join us in listening to millions of gamers" quip it would just come across as insincere, maybe even arrogance depending on how it was worded. Better to just let this PR mess play out and let the products speak for themselves.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Increase the price by $100, include the PS Eye, and downgrade their specs.

Empty

they just need to show more first party games

microsoft is using their standard tactic of being very agressive at the start of a generation with buying exclusives, now they've lost a big hardware advantage they need to hit home in other areas

HoodWinked

stay the course they definetely lost a huge aspect of their marketing points. i wouldnt be surprised if sony already started to make pepsi vs coke like ads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom