• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt demo Thursday!!

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
NeXuSDK said:
What are you talking about? The menu is VERY clean and extremely fast and responsive...

The 3D menu doesn't have anything to do with the loading...

By clean I meant just a plain list. I don't like fancy lists with all that style, its just me. Not saying they're bad, not saying you can' like them, I just prefer very simple lists.

It takes longer to zoom between the separate parts than I'd like. I chuck it in with loading times because I didn't know what else to call it.

Banned
I've got about 18 pics of the game now, but I'm having trouble connecting to my server to upload them right now.

NeXuSDK

Ranger X said:
If you see bloom like this in real life buddy you need to get your eyes checked ASAP. You might have some serious eye lenses disease and might go blind.

I don't think it's that bad and it's only when going from dark areas to light areas. And when that happens in real life, things do get really bright...

But by lightning I primarily meant as how everything has this sort of "real" look to it...

Odrion said:
It's up already.

I found the buggy part to be really fun, the pavement track to be really cool, and the desert track to be a little odd. I was expecting a bit more slipperier drifting. Ah well.

Oh yeah, and it's interface and loading factoids are awesome.

Yeah, that should be really cool when the final game starts ticking away all the stuff you've done.

Manager

I was a huge Rallisport 2 fan, and I'm so glad that DiRT is pretty similar to that. Could be because there are some guys from the Rallisport 2-team helping developing it, but nontheless, the game is great. We've all seen that the game uses some kind of graphic color filter, and frankly, I liked Rallisport's warm colored theme more. But anyway, I love the controls, there are like 5 different camera angles (all awesome), and the graphics are fine. I was mostly impressed by the ground, the grass looks pretty (á la Viva Piñata), the bushes are great (and so on).
I wasn't going to buy the game when it was released as, well, it's Forza-time, but now I'm sure I will. I'm just a bit sad that the multiplayer seems (?) to suck, with "ghost racing only". Would be awesome to crash into other players, just like in the buggy mode in the demo.

FinFan said:
is there multiplayer in this demo?

No. Three cars, three modes (hill climb, versus rally and buggy).

jon61586

Has anyone tried with the wireless racing wheel yet? I have and it was pretty fun even though I suck at using the wheel (I just got it yesterday.)

NeXuSDK

Finally got the demo and boy, if you like this, you're in for a treat with the final game. The point-to-point levels are much more gorgeus and the one in the demo (from the US) is nothing compared to Australia, Spain og the UK...

Banned

Unfortunately you can't move the camera around in 3rd person, there are no replays, and I can't freeze-frame with VGA on my TV, so the shots aren't perhaps the most interesting around.

Ranger X

NeXuSDK said:
I don't think it's that bad and it's only when going from dark areas to light areas. And when that happens in real life, things do get really bright...

But by lightning I primarily meant as how everything has this sort of "real" look to it...

I've been deceived by the lighting in many screenshots. I'm looking forward to see what's up when i play the game. Probably tonight :)

<nu>faust

graphics are nice (i don't think looking good does necassarily translate into "realistic" though), controls are allright, interface is cool(european design sensibilities ftw), damage model is not what's its hyped up to be...i'll be waiting for the reviews to decide on this one.

bee

pc version has online multiplayer and replays, apparently the 360 version cant include replays in the demo cos microsoft dont allow demos to save to the hardrive and dirts replay system needs this so anyone without a hardrive wont have replays in the final game either.

MercuryLS

Banned
I love it when devs use filters to give their game a very distinct look through the lighting. Looks very sharp in those screens.

andrewfee said:

Unfortunately you can't move the camera around in 3rd person, there are no replays, and I can't freeze-frame with VGA on my TV, so the shots aren't perhaps the most interesting around.

Uh, from the demo please, not CG fontasies.

;D

-SD-

Banned
Tried the PC demo and it was HORRIBLE. The same horse dung that Codemasters keeps on pumping out year after year, and people apparently keep buying (?). Whatta heck.

The only, and I mean ONLY, good thing about it was the damage modelling.

Banned
adelante said:
Nice vignette/grunge effect. Or is that jus ur camera =p
I'm pretty sure the vignette was the title screen, the "grunge" look is how the game is though. Tried to keep things looking as close to how they are on my screen as I can with my camera.

Hagi23

Diablohead said:
Slowest demo download I have had since console launch, 6% in like half an hour...
same thing happened to me earlier what i did was cut the 360 off and let it background download for a few mins and then i turned the 360 back on and i got my regular speed again.

Blimblim said:
I'll try to do it tonight, but I already have Forza 2 and Blue Dragon in English waiting.
Thank you so much.
I'm so sad i don't have a 360 anymore :/
I miss demos
and i will not play the new Naruto :(

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
BenjaminBirdie said:
Naturalmont. (SP???)

Man, did I ever pick the right time to buy the wheel. Between this and Forza, I'm driving my way to Blue Dragon this summer, non-stop.

naturellement, mate. But close! :lol

I hope you don't mean you're using the wheel to PLAY blue dragon :lol :lol

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Amazing. This is the rally game I've been waiting for.

Better than V-Rally 2
Better than Rallysport Challenge 1 & 2
Better than Sega Rally

I was going to use my single videogame purchase for the next few months on Forza 2 but it will be this instead.

Oh, and the graphics are godly but why did they have to open the demo with a CGI clip? It kinda sucks the "wow" a little bit from the real-time graphics.

Kicked off the download on my PC as I was leaving the house this morning. I'll post impressions of that version here later tonight.

Andokuky

Banned
Makes Forza 2 its bitch just judging by the two demos. The graphics are fantastic, the sounds are even better. The vehicle damage is great, also easily surpassing Forza 2. I like the AI too, and the handling seems perfect. When does this one come out? I might pass on F2 for this one.

Sorry for posting a VGCats, but this game is a blatant example of:

070119.jpg

And I really ****ing hate it. Whatever you people will say, brown is NOT real. When I look outside my window, everything does NOT look brownish! I hate this trend.

Mojovonio

Banned
AtomicShroom said:
Sorry for posting a VGCats, but this game is a blatant example of:

And I really ****ing hate it. Whatever you people will say, brown is NOT real. When I look outside my window, everything does NOT look brownish! I hate this trend.

YOU POSTED ****ING VGCATS????

Odrion

Banned
Mojovonio said:
YOU POSTED ****ING VGCATS????

It's a good example though!

But DiRT is actually pretty colorful for a Rally game. Much more colorful than Motorstorm. Those pictures up there were just taken on a TV with adjusted contrast and warm colors.

Top Bottom