• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

is this real ? Benoit found Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

farnham

Banned
Keru_Shiri said:
When was it confirmed that he actually murdered his family? Am I missing something here?
Nothing is confirmed or ever will be confirmed.. there are only speculations

Chris Benoit "the accused" cannot defend himself...

et altera pars audiatur

Willco said:
Mental disorders don't excuse murder/suicides, you freak. LET'S ALL REMEMBER THE GOOD TIMES CHARLES MANSON GAVE US.

Who said they excuse anything? A mental disorder wouldn't "excuse" Chris Benoit; it would make him yet another victim. People like you (Read: Idiots) don't seem to grasp the concept that a person that does something like this isn't always the person that people have known them to be their whole lives.

Chiggs said:
Please... with the few details they had, they should have known to let things simmer before doing that tribute. The intentions may have been good, but the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Stupid, stupid, stupid. Play the apologist all you want.

The details that the WWE knew at the time of the show;

1. Chris Benoit missed a couple of shows due to a family emergency.
2. WWE asks the sheriff's department to check the family since contact can't be made.
3. The family is found dead.
4. By the time of the show, no cause of death has been given.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Willco said:
dskillzhtown... Uh, it wasn't that they didn't hear from them. They received a string of disturbing text messages and it was obviously more than, "Oh no, Chris is in trouble!" because the authorities are no longer letting the WWE speak about what the received.

It wasn't they, it was Chavo. Chris might have been texting him all day long, we don't know. We don't know when Chavo spoke up. What I am saying is this, let's just see the facts before condemning WWE on this.

My guilt feeling is that Chavo held on to the messages for a bit, until they got so bizarre he told management, they called the police who in turn investigated and said that they found Chris and family dead. At that point a decision had to be made on the show and tell the talent. Maybe the messages were more bizarre and weird than threatening. Remember his cover story was the family was sick. So possibly even during the show, the truth came out and was told to WWE and Chris' family. But by that point it was too late.

Obviously, with the removal of Benoit from WWE.com, they are regretting the decision. But I think that the decision had to be made so fast about the show, they couldn't wait for the facts to start rolling in.

Nevermind, I checked out CNN.com. I can't believe this, I don't know what to think about this guy anymore.

I will say this though, I think when it comes to a possible mental illness, some of you are confusing an "excuse" with an explanation.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
ZombieSupaStar said:
yeah I agree, tommorrow is garbage day and im benoit dvd is going right into the trash. And now wmxx is pretty much ruined now. Sorry killing your family, taints my view of you even if its from a match years ago.....

As I said before, Benoit's legacy is pretty much wrapped up now. Also, let us be honest here, as disgusting as thought may actually be Wilco does speak towards the truth. The realizations going on are are indeed disturbing in their implications. Would certain members of the IWC be so willing to stretch and torture logic in order to defend a fallen idol, if said idol was, oh say, The Undertaker or Hulk Hogan? The fact of the matter is that such unspeakable and unimaginable tragedy occurred with one one of our guys, one of the wrestlers the the IWC has venerated due to his workrate and such, is at the epicenter of this disaster. Yea, there just isn't defending this, I would like to remember the body of work Chris Benoit left over the past 20 years, but it all has this taint of epic and unbelievable evil.

ghostmind

Rabid Wolverine said:
Unbelievable.

I though his wife may have murdered their son with him killing her.

Utterly shocking. (ex)Future hall of famer leaves this world as a child murder'r.

Gonna have to change the username/create a new account.

yeah, you might want to do that...

Willco

Hollywood Square
WickedAngel said:
Who said they excuse anything? A mental disorder wouldn't "excuse" Chris Benoit; it would make him yet another victim.

Dude, people who kill people aren't victims. Again, you're just using a mental disorder to justify murder. It never does. Mental disorders are there to help understand how the human psyche works, who's prone to what, what medication they might need, but at no point in time do they excuse that kind of behavior.

Someone that is dangerous to society, and obviously Benoit was not, would not be a WWE wrestler for years

People like you (Read: Idiots) don't seem to grasp the concept that a person that does something like this isn't always the person that people have known them to be their whole lives.

I thought he had a mental disorder his whole life according to you! But apparently he just had it for three days... when he murdered his wife and child.

It's cool, dudes - let the good times roll! It's just a mental disorder! Three day variety!

bud

farnham said:

et altera pars audiatur

Willco said:
Dude, people who kill people aren't victims. Again, you're just using a mental disorder to justify murder. It never does. Mental disorders are there to help understand how the human psyche works, who's prone to what, what medication they might need, but at no point in time do they excuse that kind of behavior.

Someone that is dangerous to society, and obviously Benoit was not, would not be a WWE wrestler for years

I thought he had a mental disorder his whole life according to you! But apparently he just had it for three days... when he murdered his wife and child.

It's cool, dudes - let the good times roll! It's just a mental disorder! Three day variety!

You aren't worth responding to. Goodbye.

coldvein

Banned
What a massive outpouring of grief in this thread. I had no idea how many people here were wrestling fans..

What a ****ed up situation.

f3niks

Willco said:

I understand where you are coming from and I agree most your points but, i think that you are taking things a bit too far.

Willco

Hollywood Square
WickedAngel said:
You aren't worth responding to. Goodbye.

I guess I must've struck deep!

Grecco said:
They do Judicially

No, they don't. Just because they don't hung at dawn doesn't mean they're excuse. People that crazy that are a danger to society are usually locked up a mental institution or behind bars for the rest of their life.

And furthermore, people that insane have a long track record of being that way. They're not WWE wrestlers.

pCeSlAyEr

BrandNew said:
Throw in a bit of stupidity and you got something that sounds logical to yourself!
no one will ever know for sure what happened that weekend. for all you know I could have been right on the money...

You hear of jealous husbands murdering there cheating wives all the time.... nobody said it was acceptable, I was just saying you have to be ****ed in the head to kill your own child.

I don't expect anyone to understand my point of view, and thats fine by me... I have 2 girls that I would die for... hell kill for...

Fatalah

There are many people here that don't understand wrestling.

Those who do understand, are those that are aware of the hard work and commitment that goes into being a top card wrestler. Wrestling isn't just something anyone can do. For Chris Benoit, a man of small stature, his diligence and hard work is what brought him success.

His work ethic was admirable by any standard. Wrestling is a skill that millions enjoy.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
border said:
Just like they canceled that PPV when some dude fell to his death.

Oh wait....

Indeed, as I said the world would have to end before the WWE allows, if you will, dead air to fill their time slots.

DeadTrees

Hey, at least nobody accused the kid of doing it. "He was always jealous of his father's rep...he could have strangled Chris while he was asleep and made it look like a suicide...."

Aisenherz

Banned
WickedAngel said:
The details that the WWE knew at the time of the show;

1. Chris Benoit missed a couple of shows due to a family emergency.
2. WWE asks the sheriff's department to check the family since contact can't be made.
3. The family is found dead.
4. By the time of the show, no cause of death has been given.
Well, Chavo got a mail and I don't think it was "only just a little bit weird". I think he wrote something like "they're all dead. I did it. What have I done. There is no way out" and so on. And so Chavo contacted Vince or someone at WWE to call the police (at Benoits hometown) to check the situation.

Kabuki Waq said:
he is just another murderer now. I dont get this legacy BS. He was playing a character on TV none of us knew him. I have no respect for him.
Exactly! Wrestling is hard acting and nothing more and he did nothing for the world. He killed a lovely woman and a 7 year old child. He is a murderer and nothing more!

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/fayette/stories/2007/06/25/0625benoit.html
Well, after reading..... hm... maybe she wanted to leave him and take the child with her and he killed her in rage! After that, he thought about it a day/night and he knew, he will go to jail and he will never ever see his kid again. So he killed his son, too..... and after all, himself a day later.

Sad and sick story. What a sick man!

edit:

farnham said:
No. He strangled his wife and smothered his son before hanging himself and that's fact. Deal with it!

Willco

Hollywood Square
Fatalah said:

Those who do understand, are those that are aware of the hard work and commitment that goes into being a top card wrestler. Wrestling isn't just something anyone can do. For Chris Benoit, a man of small stature, his diligence and hard work is what brought him success.

His work ethic was admirable by any standard. Wrestling is a skill that millions enjoy.

Chris Benoit: Hard Worker. Tenacious. Murderer.

Brian Fellows said:
You can send those DVDs to me. I dont really care what he did.

Im glad someone agrees with me (sort of at least). I never admired Chris Benoit as a person, I admired him as a wreslter. His legacy is tainted now, but that doesnt mean to me that he did still wrestle in great matches, I just can never respect him. But everyone is entitled to feel thier own way.

But I have to agree that watching the Benoit DVD must be sickening, because it shows him from a personal angle and I dont blame ZombieSuperStar for wanting to throw it out.

Ryck

Ok I retract my earlier statement... Willco wins the thread as he has completely taken it over. Way to go morans keep feeding the beast.

Baker

Banned
Haven't seen this posted in the last 3+ pages...

From foxnews.com

Professional wrestler Chris Benoit strangled his wife and smothered his 7-year-old son before hanging himself in his weight room, the Associated Press reported Tuesday.

Police have scheduled a 3 p.m. press conference on the case.

Authorities also said they are investigating whether steroids may have been a factor in the deaths of Benoit, his wife and their 7-year-old son who were found dead in an apparent murder-suicide.

Edit: Apparently it's already been posted plenty of times, sorry for being dumb.

The only way I could think of this going down is on Saturday he, for some reason, killed his wife in a fit of rage. Maybe his son witnessed it, maybe he heard things, who knows. But Sunday comes around, and he's obviously mentally unstable from what happened, and thinks to himself that his son shouldn't have to live A) without parents and B) with the memories of what transpired, so in a moment of insanity, he kills his son. Monday morning he obviously could never cope with everything that has happened and hung himself.

I wouldn't call it a mental condition, but if you killed your wife (perhaps accidentally/not knowing your own strength?) you wouldn't be in the right frame of mind for a while.

Obviously not condoning any of this, but if the three day thing is true, this is a possible scenario.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Just wanted to add a final WTF (as I just heard the details a few hours ago)

I feel so ****ing let down. Benoit was a hero in my book. Now I feel like burning it.

Cheebs

Fatalah said:

His work ethic is NOT admirable, you lose that when you become a evil child murdering monster.

pCeSlAyEr

Cheebs said:
His work ethic is NOT admirable, you lose that when you become a evil child murdering monster.
I couldnt agree more... I used to think he was awesome, but now I hope he rotts in hell for what he has done.

Fatalah

Cheebs said:

I was giving my commentary to help to stop the trivializing of the skill of wrestling. People come in here and say "What a wrestler does doesn't mean anything". But it's still real to me goddamnit.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
pCeSlAyEr said:
I couldnt agree more... I used to think he was awesome, but now I hope he rotts in hell for what he has done.

Yup, now the first thing to mind is no longer him winning the WWE belt, or that awesome best of 7 he had with Booker T.

Now the first thing that comes to mind is how he left this world.... as a punk bitch child murderer.

malek4980

Rosa Parks hater
Fatalah said:
I was giving my commentary to help to stop the trivializing of the skill of wrestling. People come in here and say "What a wrestler does doesn't mean anything". But it's still real to me goddamnit.
It's sad that people just can't look past the murders of his wife and child and focus on what is really important; HIS WRESTLING.

MC Safety

Cheebs said:

Humans are complicated creatures.

It's easy to think in black and white, but it's also simplistic to do so.

I'm not defending Chris Benoit, and largely agree with Willtard that the WWE is a charnel house. That doesn't mean that there aren't positive aspects to both; it just means the scales are tipped toward the negative.

farnham said:

et altera pars audiatur

Well thats not really true, forensic evidence and autopsy results are more than mere speculation.

I'm sure that in a couple of days, we will have a pretty clear idea of what happened. We will probably never know what drove him to commit these acts, but we will know what he did.

koam

Cnn main page
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/more/06/25/wrestler.dead.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

ATLANTA (AP) -- Pro wrestler Chris Benoit strangled his wife and smothered his son before hanging himself in his weight room, a law enforcement official close to the investigation told The Associated Press Tuesday.

The official spoke on the condition of anonymity.

Authorities also said they are investigating whether steroids may have been a factor in the deaths of Benoit, his wife and their 7-year-old son who were found dead in an apparent murder-suicide.

Fayette County District Attorney Scott Ballard said test results may not be back for weeks or even months.

Autopsies were scheduled Tuesday by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation in DeKalb County.

Investigators believe Benoit (pronounced ben-WAH) killed his wife, 43-year-old Nancy, and son Daniel during the weekend and then himself Monday. The bodies were found Monday afternoon in three separate rooms of the house, off a gravel road about two miles from the Whitewater Country Club.

Fayette County Coroner C.J. Mowell did not return calls seeking comment. The answering service for his funeral home said he was out of town.

Authorities also declined to say whether drugs or steroids were found inside the house. "We're not releasing any information as far as what was located inside the house," sheriff's Sgt. Keith Whiteside said Tuesday.

Asked about the condition of the interior of the house, Whiteside said investigators found "nothing really out of the ordinary." He said Benoit was found in the home's weight room, his wife in an office and the son in an upstairs bedroom.

Whiteside said toxicology tests could take up to a week or longer to complete.

Neighbors said the Benoits led a low-key lifestyle.

"They were nice," said Lorre Jones, who lives across the street. Her daughter Alaina said: "We would see Chris walking in his yard from time to time. He wasn't rude, but he wasn't really outwardly warm."

Jimmy Baswell, who was Benoit's driver for more than five years, placed a white wreath at the Benoits' gate Tuesday.

"I saw him with his family all the time," said Baswell. "They always seemed like they were the happiest people."

World Wrestling Entertainment said on its Web site that it asked authorities to check on Benoit and his family after being alerted by friends who received "several curious text messages sent by Benoit early Sunday morning."

The WWE, based in Stamford, Conn., said it had been asked by authorities not to release further information on the deaths.

Benoit, born in Montreal, was a former world heavyweight champion, Intercontinental champion and held several tag-team titles. His names in the ring included "The Canadian Crippler."

"WWE extends its sincerest thoughts and prayers to the Benoit family's relatives and loved ones in this time of tragedy," the company said in a statement on its Web site.

Benoit had maintained a home in metro Atlanta from the time he wrestled for the defunct World Championship Wrestling. The Fayette County Tax Assessors Office lists the value of the house, situated on more than 8.5 acres, at nearly $900,000.

The WWE canceled its live Monday Night RAW card in Corpus Christi, Texas, and USA Network aired a three-hour tribute to Benoit in place of the scheduled wrestling telecast.

Benoit's wife managed several wrestlers and went by the stage name "Woman." They met when her then-husband drew up a script that had them involved in a relationship as part of a story line on World Championship Wrestling, the newspaper said.

Benoit has two other children from a prior relationship.

Benoit became a standout at an early age among wrestling prospects who trained in the dungeon basement of the house where fellow Canadians and professional wrestlers Owen and Bret Hart trained. Owen Hart was killed during a wrestling event in 1999.

"He was like a family member to me, and everyone in my family is taking it real hard," said Bret Hart, a five-time champion with the World Wrestling Federation. The federation has since changed its name to World Wrestling Entertainment.

Wait, he's from Montreal? I never knew.

vas_a_morir said:
Wow, i've never seen one thread inspire so many bannings so quick. Is it because nobody on GAF has any tact?

Willco fought hard to earn his.

Nobody is excusing what Chris Benoit did. That's the furthest from what anyone here is trying to do. There are a few people in here who are trying to explain the nature of a few things (Mental disorders) and how people, under the wrong circumstances, can lose themselves to their own minds and do things that completely clash with their beliefs/feelings/ideologies. Anyone who has experienced mental disorders firsthand (Be it paranoid schizophrenia or even Alzheimer's) knows how weak a person can be when their mind has reached the breaking point.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
vas_a_morir said:
Wow, i've never seen one thread inspire so many bannings so quick. Is it because nobody on GAF has any tact?

It is a very emotional and indeed dividing issue and this turn of events is not isolated to GAF at all, this thing is playing itself in the exact same fashion over on other forums as well.

Has anyone considered the possibility that Benoit was under the influence of En Sabah Nur? As we saw in Uncanny X-Men #335, the millienia-old abilities of Ἀποκάλυψις are powerful enough to turn even boy scout Scott Summers "heel." In fact, it seems likely to me that the Apocalypse-controlled Benoit had offered his wife and child positions as two of the four Horsemen, but that they failed to pass the stringent "only the strong survive" tests he created for their benefit. Also, what a work ethic!

I find it amazing that Willco and others seem to be expressing joy as they get their points across to others in light of this terrible event.

Sure, we all agree fully with all your points but, unlike you, we have watched the man wrestle a huge portion of great matches in the WWE for the past 7 years and, once again unlike you, most of us had huge respect for this guy. We even still respected this guy at this point yesterday for all the great matches he wrestled. Unlike you, at this time yesterday, when we thought him and his family just died from some terrible circumstances we were all in this thread expressing concern as we had no idea of the cluster**** this would turn into. But finally, less than a few hours ago we now know what finally happed. Yes, we are sickened to by what he did but unlike you we know all about his past, so there is a conflict of emotions.

Now, I am pretty sure I never saw most of you in any one of the wrestling threads before so up until today you probably never knew much of the guy and sure it is easy to hate him but you’ve got to realize that right now we also hate him for what he did to but it is a lot harder to express the distain if you know the full 20 year+ back-story. Honestly, I fully understand if you put a lol smilie in a reply after you read this, or whatever reply you think will be the best bait for others, but that is just mine, and probably alot of others opinion on here.

Also, please ask yourselves would you be even in this thread if the whole story had not turned as twisted as it is now?

farnham

Banned
number1jagsfan said:
Well thats not really true, forensic evidence and autopsy results are more than mere speculation.

I'm sure that in a couple of days, we will have a pretty clear idea of what happened. We will probably never know what drove him to commit these acts, but we will know what he did.

First.. there is the possibility that other persons are involved in this..
And secondly...
No that is true because there also is an possibilty of self defense or possibly even acquiescence... Chris Benoit will never be able to say anything for his defense eventhough there are situations were his actions might have been lawful...

So yeah.. we dont know what the hell happened.. we just know that there are three corpses.. We dont know why it happened or how it happened.. so how can you just blame somone for murder when you basically know nothing about the motives and such...

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
WickedAngel said:
Willco fought hard to earn his.

Nobody is excusing what Chris Benoit did. That's the furthest from what anyone here is trying to do. There are a few people in here who are trying to explain the nature of a few things (Mental disorders) and how people, under the wrong circumstances, can lose themselves to their own minds and do things that completely clash with their beliefs/feelings/ideologies. Anyone who has experienced mental disorders firsthand (Be it paranoid schizophrenia or even Alzheimer's) knows how weak a person can be when their mind has reached the breaking point.

Quite, quite and one of the central questions here is "Why did Benoit did what he did?" Was it an isolated incident brought on by the onset of insanity or is there something else at work here, namely did the wrestling lifestyle claim Benoit and family?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom