• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Uncharted screens (wwhooa)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceb

KillerNapkin said:
I'm really getting aggravated by game times. If your game is completely devoid of multiplayer it should last at least 15 hours. This should be required by law. This bullshit is getting out of hand

Not if it comes at the cost of added backtracking and other kinds of length padding.

I know I won't rush through the locations like they do in most preview vids. When they're this detailed, half the fun lies in carefully examining their details.

Apart from the stupid animations when people get shot, and the tacked on six-axis feature, it looks alright. Graphics are nice, and the gameplay, well... looks a little like Gears, a little like Tomb Raider, and a whole lot unoriginal. I don't see what all the fuss is about, except the graphics, for sure.

Salazar

karasu said:
This game looks so much better and more ambitious than any Tomb Raider game. It's not even funny. Lara Croft didn't invent archaeological expeditions people.

Please. It's not like this game really needs to stand on Tomb Raider in order to get appreciated.

Kittonwy said:
The wet clothes is a NICE TOUCH rawr.
Indifferent2.gif

Yes. Yes they are. (Rawr.)

VonGak!

Banned
Pistolero said:
WOW ! Who said the PS3 was weak at textures ? Come again ? :lol

Ah you know, the same who talked about the RSX not being able to do AA and HDR at the same, those who said the PS3 was vertex impaired, said the CELL SPEs couldn't do integers, said the CELL isn't general purpose, said the SPEs can't do branching and spiced things up with talk about how eDRAM gives free 4xFSAA.

They'll be easy to find as they are still spewing out these things. ^.^

VonGak!

Banned
Core407 said:
I wish the foliage would bend when you run through it. Apart from that, great video.

Some does, it seems like work in progress where they step by step make the different foliage types bendable.

They also talked about adding footprint on moss and such. :D

Core407

Banned
VonGak! said:
Some does, it seems like work in progress where they step by step make the different foliage types bendable.

They also talked about adding footprint on moss and such. :D

Awesome. I could have sworn I read something about the moving foliage earlier. I just assumed it was phased out for some reason. Nice to hear about the moss, too. I can see myself spending hours just exploring the jungle itself.

Kittonwy

Banned
Pristine_Condition said:
Yes. Yes they are. (Rawr.)

And when he turned the wheel to pull the chains, the chains actually cast shadows on various surfaces and you can see individual links in the shadows rawr. Also I didn't realize how powerful the hand cannon was in blim's video forget about it.
Indifferent2.gif

VonGak!

Banned
I love that they have fleshed out the fighting system since Sony Gamer's day.

Now it's mandatory that Nathan will have a Indy style fist fight with a really big baddie.

Perhaps in the future of gaming well see chase+fight scenes like the motorcycle one in Indy 3 where he crawls all over the truck.

Kittonwy

Banned
VonGak! said:
I love that they have fleshed out the fighting system since Sony Gamer's day.

Now it's mandatory that Nathan will have a Indy style fist fight with a really big baddie.

Perhaps in the future of gaming well see chase+fight scenes like the motorcycle one in Indy 3 where he crawls all over the truck.

Come to think of it, Drake IS videogame's own Indy, from mannerisms to the way he fights to the whole treasure hunter bit, Uncharted is pretty much just like what an Indy game should be.

VonGak!

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Come to think of it, Drake IS videogame's own Indy, from mannerisms to the way he fights to the whole treasure hunter bit, Uncharted is pretty much just like what an Indy game should be.

Yup, he's only lacking when it comes to Nazies, wips and small chinese boys. :(

Oh and Bond as his dad.

NeonBlade

Banned
I hope we can weild all kinds of crazy crap to crack heads rather than punching. I want some lead pipes to the face, and I mean, since he's in a jungle Drake should be able to throw stones at a guys nose. LOL.

Too much to hope for I guess.

Zen

Banned
Unfortunately that full level went right back to 'underwhelming' status for me. The platforming looked fine, but the shooting lacked punch, the enemies were stupid, and the melee was still spastic and sloppy. Might skip this one and wait for Jak IV. Visually it looked really good, the best of 07 even, gameplay wise... simple and sloppy.

Zen said:
Unfortunately that full level went right back to 'underwhelming' status for me. The platforming looked fine, but the shooting lacked punch, the enemies were stupid, and the melee was still spastic and sloppy. Might skip this one and wait for Jak IV. Visually it looked really good, the best of 07 even, gameplay wise... simple and sloppy.

The melee stuff, if you watched the interview Amy did with Game Trailers, is meant to look sloppy. Drake isn't a trained fighter, he's going to swing wildly while fighting instead of looking like he just hopped out of a martial arts movie.

deepbrown

SolidSnakex said:
The melee stuff, if you watched the interview Amy did with Game Trailers, is meant to look sloppy. Drake isn't a trained fighter, he's going to swing wildly while fighting instead of looking like he just hopped out of a martial arts movie.

I like fallible heroes...more realistic. Though I don't think he should float like superman.

Kittonwy

Banned
Zen said:

What kind of punch were you looking for in the shooting? The grenades and explosive barrels can launch enemies a dozen feet up in the air, the head/neck shots are in, the hand cannon definitely packs a huge punch (one hit kill plus knocking the enemy back), the shotgun seems powerful, the enemy using the stationary turret against Drake puts a lot of pressure on the player was bullets was whizzing by the player even when he's under cover, enemies definitely react to being shot, sometimes in a comical fashion/location-specific, and I don't know why you would call the enemies stupid because they do use cover and they would actively try to outflank the player.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
I really enjoyed Gamersyde's new video. Looks really smooth, action looks like fun and the platforming looks fantastic. Nice motion blur too.

Thunderbear said:
I really enjoyed Gamersyde's new video. Looks really smooth, action looks like fun and the platforming looks fantastic. Nice motion blur too.

Indeed!

The game has come a long way in such a short time. It has changed a lot of things for better lately. It now looks a complete nextgen experience, and the gameplay seems very good too.

And those pictures in the last post,wow. Those textures are REALLY high res :D

Congrats on that engine, ND :D

AAK

Something that ND still hasn't showed is some of the dual weaponry where you mixed melee weapons with projectile weapons that was first shown in the E306 Target render:

932984_20060508_screen010.jpg

That stuff would really look like fun and I wonder when they're gonna show it or if they scrapped the idea.

Zer0

Banned
looking uncharted textures its funny to remember that MS statement about "only with the extra 256 of memory gears can be done"

Chiggs

Gold Member
I hope there are levels in this game where combat is non-existent, or, at the very least, limited.

Just exploring them would be pretty damn fun.

Looking at the recent videos and the target render now.... I think they have actually SURPASSED it. The textures on the walls and Drake looks much better now!

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I love how cohesive and natural the environments feel, the don't scream "I'm a level, here are my gameplay elements!" like most games.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
He should rip off his shirt's sleeves at some point and go Rambo style.

GreekWolf

Uncharted and Mass Effect will ensure that I have the merriest of Christmases.

Zer0 said:
looking uncharted textures its funny to remember that MS statement about "only with the extra 256 of memory gears can be done"
What's funny about that statement? Before Epic kicked them in the ass, Microsoft was planning to put only 256 ram into the 360.

Ashhong

GreekWolf said:
Uncharted and Mass Effect will ensure that I have the merriest of Christmases.

What's funny about that statement? Before Epic kicked them in the ass, Microsoft was planning to put only 256 ram into the 360.

He's talking about how Uncharted's textures look so good when MS said Gears can't be done on PS3 because of it's lack of non-dedicated memory.

Y2Kev said:
After seeing this game, all developers will lose their motivation.

Uncharted will make people say "Gears of Huh?"

and watching the Gamersyde video, I want a Die Hard game made with this engine, it would be perfect.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I swear man, every time they show this game it's another Eye-Gasm!
That's the correct term to define Uncharted.

/Kaako's contributionz

Wow those textures are nuts.

As a photographer, I also appreciate how when Nathan is in the shadows, the color temperature cast is cooler/bluer:

10fp7xt.jpg

...and when he's out in the sun, the color is warmer/neutral.

2yuj4ls.jpg

A few other games on various platforms do this well, but I'm always surprised how many don't. It's a subtle effect that pays off, IMO.

2q81rue.jpg

...but those textures are wowsome.

J-Rzez

Man, this is tough... It's a battle-royale between Uncharted and Ratchet for Best Looking GOTY...

It's positively incredible to see games like this right around the 1yr mark of a console's release... The differences are starting to show already...

Dante

J-Rzez said:
Man, this is tough... It's a battle-royale between Uncharted and Ratchet for Best Looking GOTY...

It's positively incredible to see games like this right around the 1yr mark of a console's release... The differences are starting to show already...

Yeah this game is simply amazing looking. I am hoping Sony starts releasing those making of videos on PSN prior to release as the voice acting and sound is equally as impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom