• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

~ The Official Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions thread ~

Liabe Brave said:
Ah, they do that in Tactics? I don't remember it in FF XII, and a search of two different script versions on Gamefaqs didn't turn it up either.
Yeah, in at least two instances. Could easily be a number of them.

fft-wotl-0.jpg
fft-wotl-2.jpg

I believe you're right about FF XII, though. I've been through it four times now and I watch a lot of the cutscenes often through a large archive of save files, and I can't recall it ever being used.
SailorDaravon said:
Didn't S-E buy the rights to that? Why the hell haven't they done anything with it? Also wasn't Ogre Battle 64 done by someone other than Matsuno anyway?
It has to be Nomura's evil plan; an extension of the eye cancer plot. He feels threatened by Warren's awesome Beard of Ogre Strength.

gaf-ob-0.jpg
gaf-ob-1.jpg
gaf-ob-2.jpg
gaf-ob-3.jpg

Kyoufu

DXMachina said:
So I have 624 JP to spend for my Monk. He only knows Counter as of right now. What should he learn next?

The healing move. Chakra I think? What you can do is gather your mages/summoners around your monk and feed them MP as they repeatedly cast support spells/summons. Thats how I used to farm my JP.

jiggle

DXMachina said:
So I have 624 JP to spend for my Monk. He only knows Counter as of right now. What should he learn next?

Chakra, revive and the one that removes negative status, are musts.

Aeana

DXMachina said:

Aurablast (previously Wave Fist) is a great skill to have, in addition to what others have mentioned.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Chakra and Shockwave are the first two skills I learn for the Monk. Chakra so he/she can hearl him/herself and Shockwave so I can hit monsters from across the map.

ElyrionX

Quick question: Will leaving my PSP in sleep mode drain its battery? If yes, how significant is it? It's quite a pain to have to sit through that initial PSP startup with all the loads.

colinp

Banned
I'm getting my ass kicked just by the random battles at the very beginning of the game. I can't make it to Siege Weld without getting slaughtered! What am I doing wrong?!

creid

As long as you don't leave it in sleep mode for a month, sleep mode should not kill your battery. Probably a good idea to save before you put it in though.

mint

Banned
colinp said:
I'm getting my ass kicked just by the random battles at the very beginning of the game. I can't make it to Siege Weld without getting slaughtered! What am I doing wrong?!

try to get a black mage+white mage early on if you haven't. blizzard works well on goblins. protect helps lower ph damage, and cure is a plus.

try to find a tight spot so enemys can only engage you with few openings. this should leave your tank (ramza or knight) to soak up damage, while your mages do the rest.

sometimes its good to stay back, allow ramza/squires to focus and wait for the enemy to draw toward you, instead of charging them.

Pellham

Banned
Oh man, grinding too much is quite fun. I just did the Milleuda story battles last night and having a dancer and mime was a wee bit too overpowering. :lol I ended up reseting when my stupid mime accidentally killed her before I could steal all of her gear.

Demigod Mac

ElyrionX said:
Quick question: Will leaving my PSP in sleep mode drain its battery? If yes, how significant is it? It's quite a pain to have to sit through that initial PSP startup with all the loads.

yes, albeit slowly. I leave mine in sleep mode all the time.

colinp

Banned
mint said:
try to get a black mage+white mage early on if you haven't. blizzard works well on goblins. protect helps lower ph damage, and cure is a plus.

try to find a tight spot so enemys can only engage you with few openings. this should leave your tank (ramza or knight) to soak up damage, while your mages do the rest.

sometimes its good to stay back, allow ramza/squires to focus and wait for the enemy to draw toward you, instead of charging them.

:lol I can't even survive long enough to get my troops to be lvl 2 chemists to get the black/white mage jobs! Alright, I finally just won my first damn random battle, and this time I tried holding back a bit and waiting for them to come after me. I still ended up using five potions just to have everyone survive =/

Pellham

Banned
Demigod Mac said:
yes, albeit slowly. I leave mine in sleep mode all the time.

Is that sleep mode when you just turn the system off? How do you turn it off normally? :lol

I love the sleep mode though (i'm a PSP noob, FFT is my first PSP game), the first time I turned it off after saving and came back and turned it back on I was like WOW.

BlueTsunami

Pellham said:
Is that sleep mode when you just turn the system off? How do you turn it off normally? :lol

Instead of quickly pushing up on the slider you hold it for 2 seconds or so and the light will flash. It should be fully shut down then.

ethelred

DXMachina said:
How the heck am I supposed to beat
Auto Potion? Fuck you Argath.

It doesn't activate every time. Kill off his underlings, and you should be able to do more than enough damage in a round to finish him off.

If you have a summoner with golem (and preferably, Half MP), that helps a lot. Monks are also excellent in that battle because most of the ground is flat terrain, which is good for their chakra/revive techniques.

ethelred

Pellham said:
A fictitious version of the real world, obviously.

Well, I don't want to get into a huge debate about it in an FFT thread, but... no, it's not. It's set in Zeteginia, Lodis, Valeria, Palatinus. None of these are real world locations; they are not grounded in real world mythology or folklore (the Lodisian religion, the Ogre Battle legend...); their tales are not comprised of real world personages; the stories do not describe real world events. They don't even try to present alternate history concepts of the real world -- like, say X happened and the world changed by following Y course instead. This is the concept under which other games (such as Devil Summoner or Shadow Hearts) take place in the real world.

In no meaningful sense are the Ogre Battle games set in the real world.

tokkun said:
Not Vagrant Story, but FFXII and FFT. The references are glaring in my opinion. "Manse", "mummers", "sellswords", those are not commonly used words. Have you ever heard the phrase "mummer's farce" used in anything besides FFXII and ASoIaF? They even refer to Basche as "Kingslayer" once in FFXII.

"Sellswords" was used in Vagrant Story, and I believe "manse" was as well. "Mummers" wasn't, but it's a real word and for a period piece quite normal, and yes, I've heard it plenty of other places--Shakespeare, for one.

However, from the "ser" screenshots it definitely seems the new Tactics at least steals from Martin, since that's not a real word. And while "Kingslayer" is an obvious title, it could've been lifted too. Still, I think most of the tone and odd diction is simply "olde" English. It's easy enough to do that with minor research (and that's about all even Smith put in--some of it feels a lot like thesaurus use rather than natural speech).

ElyrionX

BlueTsunami said:
I just checked out the requirments for the Dark Night and wow

Personally, I think in the context of the game, they should have changed the Fell Knight class to a Holy Knight class or a Holy Swordsman class (ie, like Agrias or Orlandu). Ramza is supposed to be the hero of the game so it really doesn't make sense that the "best" class he can get is something of an "evil" class.

ethelred

ElyrionX said:
Personally, I think in the context of the game, they should have changed the Fell Knight class to a Holy Knight class or a Holy Swordsman class (ie, like Agrias or Orlandu). Ramza is supposed to be the hero of the game so it really doesn't make sense that the "best" class he can get is something of an "evil" class.

Ramza is a heretic.

SRG01

... Is it just me, or is there a part of the main theme that reminds me of FFXII's theme? I'm watching one of the Ramza/Delita cutscenes from early in the game, and I have a feeling that it's familiar...

Chris R

I'm grinding up a bunch of Ninjas before I go to Doter :lol Then after that I'll probally grind some mages of some kind.

rhfb said:
I'm grinding up a bunch of Ninjas before I go to Doter :lol Then after that I'll probally grind some mages of some kind.
I'm about to go to the desert and am close to unlocking Dark Knight for Ramza. Good times. :D

EinSof

SRG01 said:
... Is it just me, or is there a part of the main theme that reminds me of FFXII's theme? I'm watching one of the Ramza/Delita cutscenes from early in the game, and I have a feeling that it's familiar...

Quite the opposite.

Most of FFXII's soundtrack is based of various songs within FF Tactics, including some of the level/world themes.

BlueTsunami

So the Fell (Dark) Knight is a Class thats only for Ramza? Thats pretty cool. I wonder what its perks are (as far as power leveling as a Fell Knight?)

Dash

SRG01 said:

Sakimoto was the main composer for FFXII, and had a large contribution to FFT's ;).

How are you guys finding the new classes? From what I've read they only start to shine near the very end of the game.

I wish this game came out on a home console... I'm really not into portable gaming, but I feel pretty damn tempted to get a PSP for this D:.

Jefklak

a quick question, since I don't know anything about PSPs
is that thing region free - or can I buy a european PSP and import FFT?
Edit: it seems it is, cool.

I need it :(

Aeana

Jefklak said:
a quick question, since I don't know anything about PSPs
is that thing region free - or can I buy a european PSP and import FFT?
Edit: it seems it is, cool.

I need it :(

The PSP is region free, and FFT PSP was released in Europe, so you shouldn't need to import.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Tactics is pissing me off, has it always been this hard? I mean it's as if the game purposely has you come up short on everything. If theres a mob about to die i always miss that last hit, If i retreat an severely weakened unit the mob always gets just enough move to catch that fucker, If I want to buff up everyone right off the bat my at least 30% of my buffs will miss. I can handle a good deal of dissapointment, but after an hour i'm ready to stab somebody.

I have to calm down by playing Jenne D'Arc.

Talk about evolution. Everything I hate about tatics is fixed in Jenne. Before ya hit me with trolling, I bought both at the same time. I didn't even know what Jenne D'Arc was. I just got it because someone told me i'd like it if i got Tatics.

P.S. How do you level up people in Tactics? When i have an uneven bunch of half lvl 8's and half lvl 2's. I can't really level up the 2s because they can't land some hits. All my random battles scale to my 8's. Should I just fire the 2's and hire some higher level people (assuming it gives higher level pepole)? Also how do you strip people of gear? It's so lame that i can't just take it off. Man japanese games kinda piss me off with the wierd limitations.

Steroyd

I'm going to chop off the balls who made that damn Amazon website, they told me when I ordered the fucking FFT game I'd get it in 2 days if I clicked within 21 hours with free delivery.

I ordered on Wed and the ETA I got via e-mail says next Wed that's not freaking 2 that's 7, which is 5 more days than 2 days.

And I can't help but click on this thread everytime the freaking torture. :mad:

Yasser

the eu version comes with an art card which is basically the us cover on a card, so no, you shouldn't need to import

BlueTsunami

Sol.. said:
P.S. How do you level up people in Tactics? When i have an uneven bunch of half lvl 8's and half lvl 2's. I can't really level up the 2s because they can't land some hits. All my random battles scale to my 8's. Should I just fire the 2's and hire some higher level people (assuming it gives higher level pepole)? Also how do you strip people of gear? It's so lame that i can't just take it off. Man japanese games kinda piss me off with the wierd limitations.

Spam Focus (Squire Ability) or spam any ability that stacks. Basic Soldiers you can purchase should have the Squire Job but special characters (with unique classes) don't have access to them. In that case, you have to make due with the Thief and "Steal EXP" ability.

DarkKyo

BlueTsunami said:
So the Fell (Dark) Knight is a Class thats only for Ramza? Thats pretty cool. I wonder what its perks are (as far as power leveling as a Fell Knight?)

I think Dark Knight is for anyone...

Echoes

Got it yesterday (along with the Slim's Daxter Bundle + Gurumin). Before starting the game I thought I may wanna check the official thread in here, and I was really worried about the difficulty in this game even though I beat the original one couple of times before. I beat Dorter mission and the one after it just now, and still can't understand where's the difficulty in here. YES, it IS challenging most of the time, but it's not 'frustratingly difficult', you just need to plan your moves and attacks. When I arrived on Dorter, I had 2 monks, White Mage and a Black Mage. a Monk with Chakra sided with the mages is a WINxWIN situation! :D

After playing this, Jeanne d'Arc is NOTHING compared to it (talking about the difficulty), JD is a luvable, easy-to-follow game, with no complex in anything. FFT is challenging, deep, and.... gosh do I need to talk about this now? :D

if I'd point at things I noticed so far;
- Slow down. at first you'll hate it, but then you'll get used to it, really. it's not a deal-breaker by any mean of the word.
- I wish I can return back after moving my character :-(
- The Cut-scenes are ZOMGWOW :O
- Even though I can't remember the old translation, but this one is FANTASTIC.

Game of the forever, period.

ethelred

Sol.. said:
Tactics is pissing me off, has it always been this hard? I mean it's as if the game purposely has you come up short on everything. If theres a mob about to die i always miss that last hit, If i retreat an severely weakened unit the mob always gets just enough move to catch that fucker, If I want to buff up everyone right off the bat my at least 30% of my buffs will miss. I can handle a good deal of dissapointment, but after an hour i'm ready to stab somebody.

I have to calm down by playing Jenne D'Arc.

Talk about evolution. Everything I hate about tatics is fixed in Jenne.

What's fixed?

Before you take any action in the game, the game will tell you exactly what percentage you have as a likelihood for success or failure. The game's not trying to make you purposely come up short -- but before you do an action, you'd be well advised to see what your chances are. Is your attack going to miss? Well, look at the stats -- if the success rate is 90%, go for it; 80%, still go for it; 70%? Ehhhh... maybe go for it, but you'd probably also be smart to think of some alternative strategies at that point. Try attacking from a higher point? Attack from behind? Use a different move altogether?

Are 30% of your buffs failing? Well, once again, you need to look at the success/failure percentages before you cast -- and you need to think of the factors that are in play for something like that and how you can tilt them more in your favor. Are you casting spells with someone with a low faith? Because faith is what drives spell success -- boost it up or make a different character your spellcaster. Are you casting spells on characters with low faith? Well, the same thing applies.

Before you try to run away from enemies, yeah, you'd definitely best go and use the square button to take a look at their movement ranges, because if you're trying to flee and their MOV is high enough to catch you, that's not going to do any good -- and it's not the game's fault.

I don't see what's been fixed by the simplified, challengeless Jeanne d'Arc, but I also don't see what's so broken here in the first place. The game's giving you all the information you need to achieve success (or evaluate your odds) beforehand, and gives you a ton of abilities to work with different strategies.

Echoes

Ok guys, I want a good balanced team for me to raise. I have 1 Thief, 1 Monk, 1 Black Mage, 1 Knight, 1 Mystic (for the MP regenrator). Is there any recommendation? (such as the Chakra method)

Top Bottom