• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 |OT| Open wheel, tyre squeal, orange peel, dat next-gen feel

Yea not selling stuff is ridiculous.

I agree on working for your stuff I plan to have this game for a long time and want to earn what I have but not selling parts or cars? Crazy talk!!

That said, never in my life did I ever think I would enjoy racing a ford fiesta around Seguna seca as much as I just did...felt phenomenal

Damn you Forza giveth and taketh away

They kick you in the nuts then give you some cookies.

I can't get my head around how they think that doing this was ok. I think real racing lets you sell your car. They better be crossing their fingers that project cars isn't a competent game.

So Spa is described in the game as the "Modern Circuit". Hmmmm

There's going to be pre-war F1 cars later judging by the in-game classes. So.... no we couldn't be getting.... this is Forza I don't want to get my hopes up.

Pre-war F1 cars? First, that's a little wrong (wasn't called F1 then) and second, last game that had Pre-war F1 cars on console was what, Spirit of Speed 1937?

Pre-war F1 cars? First, that's a little wrong (wasn't called F1 then) and second, last game that had Pre-war F1 cars on console was what, Spirit of Speed 1937?

Pre-war grand prix cars then if you must. They are listed as a body type in the game as are 1980s grand prix cars.

G Rom

So good to wake up with the reward cars waiting.

Only, it seems I have made my P1 glitch. I painted it in plain yellow, went back to save it, car turned metallic gray (never touched that colour when painting) and game crashed with console going back to menu. Now, whenever I try to paint it again, the game crashes again.

I tried to reboot the console, same issue. I guess I'll have to do with my metallic gray P1 for now, I guess it could have been a much worse colour. :-D

Here is a clip showing what I do to make it crash (same happens when I try to paint only one part of the car). The video cut right when the game crashes obviously.

Edit : All I saw in that glitch video was the potential for a Forza version of this :
homer-simpson-bush-gif.gif

Mascot

This whole monetisation issue seems very reminiscent of the Blizzard's RMAH debacle. Designing your game around the use of real money and as a result, features that've become norm for the series gets dropped/downgraded. I loved that the ability to buy or sell cars/parts/tuning setups/livery designs forged a community within the game. If I've been keeping up with the discussions here, that aspect of the game is now severely limited??

It constantly amazes me when game developers change things in sequels that they KNOW people love, things that are PROVEN to work, seemingly just for the sake of it.

People love custom public lobbies? Take them out!
People love having access to all cars in free play mode? Restrict the shit out of it!
People love selling their cars or spare parts? Kill that shit stone dead!

It's not just Forza that's guilty of this. Sequels in so many great franchises (Gears, Dead Space, Dirt etc etc) seem to remove what made those games great in the first place. It's like some developers don't really know their audiences at all.

adelante

So I saw a thread on the official forum about a forzavista glitch, but all the YouTube links were somehow *eyeroll* altered so you couldnt follow the link.

But here's one anyway
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYhepM3HdIY

Saladine1, is this what you've been hinting at??? I guess you could drive it out of the homespace, just not through the garage door. :p

Edit:

Edit : All I saw in that glitch video was the potential for a Forza version of this :
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-UUBBVvfBUcM/T1t8Zi673mI/AAAAAAAAA0c/uEdZ-PA4IpI/s1600/homer-simpson-bush-gif.gif[//img][/QUOTE]

FIrst thing that came to my mind hahaha

Seanspeed

Banned
It constantly amazes me when game developers change things in sequels that they KNOW people love, things that are PROVEN to work, seemingly just for the sake of it.

People love custom public lobbies? Take them out!
People love having access to all cars in free play mode? Restrict the shit out of it!
People love selling their cars or spare parts? Kill that shit stone dead!

It's not just Forza that's guilty of this. Sequels in so many great franchises (Gears, Dead Space, Dirt etc etc) seem to remove what made those games great in the first place. It's like some developers don't really know their audiences at all.
Again, and I hate to be bashing on Forza in here as there's enough of that going around elsewhere, but these features were not cut because Turn 10 didn't realize people liked them. They were cut entirely so people would be encouraged to spend more real money.(well, not the custom public lobbies, but the other things). No selling cars/parts = player has less money. Limited free play cars = people cant just avoid buying the car in career mode and enjoy them in free play, so if there's an expensive car you want to drive, the ONLY way to do it is to buy it now(and of course some people wont want to take the time to do it and will cough up for tokens).

They know *exactly* what they're doing and aren't clueless at all. I'm sure its all been pushed on Turn 10 by Microsoft, so I'm not going to bash Turn 10 too much, but the game has definitely been designed with microtransactions in mind.

Mascot

Again, and I hate to be bashing on Forza in here as there's enough of that going around elsewhere, but these features were not cut because Turn 10 didn't realize people liked them. They were cut entirely so people would be encouraged to spend more real money.(well, not the custom public lobbies, but the other things). No selling cars/parts = player has less money. Limited free play cars = people cant just avoid buying the car in career mode and enjoy them in free play, so if there's an expensive car you want to drive, the ONLY way to do it is to buy it now(and of course some people wont want to take the time to do it and will cough up for tokens).

They know *exactly* what they're doing and aren't clueless at all. I'm sure its all been pushed on Turn 10 by Microsoft, so I'm not going to bash Turn 10 too much, but the game has definitely been designed with microtransactions in mind.

Francis seems to agree

:p

saladine1

I wonder if there was any hesitation on Turn 10's part though.
I mean, did they fight these ideas off?
Did they embrace them knowing full well that it wouldn't be popular?

They must've known that backlash would be HUGE from these kinds of decisions.
They must've known the repercussions from such tactics.

This debacle has no doubt hurt their reputation.

There's no way back from this unless they back down from everything unpopular.
It's the only way.

Mascot

Ha ha..! Perfect!

It's the only way.

It'll be an interesting couple of months ahead, especially if expensive track packs are announced containing old tracks from previous Forzas.

Hopefully there will be a change of policy and some free DLC will be forthcoming. I still can't believe they didn't wait a month before releasing the LaFerrari pack. Day one beggars belief.

Maybe the in-game currency will be tweaked and custom public lobbies reintroduced, who knows. Dan spoke at great length about how FM5 could be changed over time post-release.

Pardon the interruption of the regularly scheduled, (and justified), monetization griping, but thanks to a thoroughly incompetent carrier, I finally got my Day One Three Edition yesterday.

I only had enough time to run the initial sport compact series and a couple of Rivals events, and all I can recall is that I spent more time chasing the back of my GT86 than I did the opposing Drivatars, which, as an aside, are among the best things about FM5. On the "Pro" setting I've had some great close-quarter battles with minimal crash-and-bash bullshit, and with no M Rossi in sight! Fuck that guy.

Getting back to the handling, I may well have had more tank-slappers in the first several hours of FM5 than in over 2 years of FM4. Make no mistake, these cars have teeth and they won't hesitate to punish imprecise throttle and steering inputs. They'll get light over crests and become precariously unbalanced, and you can't always attack the curbs with the same zeal as in Forza games past, unless you want to go head-first into the Armco.

Mastering this new handling model ought to be an enjoyable challenge; I'm counting down the hours until I can jump back in.

G Rom

Yeah, it's a shame that the monetisation stuff instead of the fantastic driving model has to take over all FM5 related discussion. Turn 10/MS only have themselves to blame though and I won't complain about it because it is indeed justified.

Anyway, I just did a three lap race in my P1 at Spa, it is so so good ! Dat feeling when you nail Eau rouge...

Oh and Saladine, for eargasm purpose, the Lancer Evo VI GSR is surprisingly good.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
A couple direct shots from Autovista. The paint shaders really are excellent.

They definitely needed a better AA solution, though.

FN0.png

HN0.png

Domstercool

Has anyone had a strange longer loading situation after a race is completed? I happened to be recording it, so I have footage if you're not sure what I mean. It's only happened once so far, but it was weird.

http://youtu.be/V5mTAE8f0JA?t=23m21s

It took over like 50 seconds to load the results screen...I thought it wasn't going to progress. :D

G Rom

Another bug, with head tracking activated, the sound is all messed up in the cockpit when I move around. I noticed it with two different car at Indianapolis at the moment, haven't tested another track.

Hopefully Turn 10 is working on title updates to fix all those minor glitches/bugs.

GlamFM

Banned
From an other thread, but I might as well ask here:

OK, something weird happened this morning.

In Forza 5 while being introduced to a new event I had some strange artifacts all over the screen every time a new car was shown to me.
I´m not sure if it was meant to be some sort of effect for transitioning between the cars or if my GPU is dying. Or is it just a bug?

Do you understand what I mean?

Thoughts?

G Rom

Yeah it's supposed to be a transition effect. All career intros are videos anyway so no worries about your console.

saladine1

Well p3tran, I didn't have a Torana, Monaro, Falcon GT or Brock Commodore but I just beat your Golf GTi's time on Bathurst in a beautifully balanced Mercedes 190E EVO II.
Perhaps you need some more tuning from your real life tuning tricks..?

God, I LOVE Bathurst in FM5!

Also, holy shit at the money in rivals. Just got payed out $50,000 for beating p3tran. On top of that, I got the $15,000 Affinity thing. So, in about 10 miutes of racing, I made over $100,000. Not bad..

flashmouth

Neo Member
Man I hope my Drivatar doesn't bump like all the others, in slow corners these things are a nightmare. I try to restart the race everytime I hit someone, but I don't know how they collect data. In my profil it already shows hundreds of bumps and hits, but no heavy ones.

eso76

Another bug, with head tracking activated, the sound is all messed up in the cockpit when I move around. I noticed it with two different car at Indianapolis at the moment, haven't tested another track.

Hopefully Turn 10 is working on title updates to fix all those minor glitches/bugs.

ah, is it head tracking related ?
i noticed it yesterday, indianapolis first, but then it happened at bathurst and anywhere else.
never noticed before connecting kinect in fact.

Did you use rewind by any chance ? i thought it had something to do with it because the more i used it the more messed up the sound would become.
Assuming we're talking about the same glitch, the one that has engine sound behave like your rpm's are going up and down randomly and in large steps while accelerating.

Seanspeed

Banned
Well p3tran, I didn't have a Torana, Monaro, Falcon GT or Brock Commodore but I just beat your Golf GTi's time on Bathurst in a beautifully balanced Mercedes 190E EVO II.
Perhaps you need some more tuning from your real life tuning tricks..?

God, I LOVE Bathurst in FM5!

Also, holy shit at the money in rivals. Just got payed out $50,000 for beating p3tran. On top of that, I got the $15,000 Affinity thing. So, in about 10 miutes of racing, I made over $100,000. Not bad..
With the new design choices to facilitate microtransactions, its definitely time to SPAM the rivals mode as much as possible.

Don't just do the fastest time you can do immediately. If you're on a 50,000 payout rival and you're a second clear of the ghost at the finish line, slow down a split second before crossing that finish line. Get your money and then race the very next person in the rankings to get the same payout, with a time you know you can beat.

I made mucho mula doing this in FM4. And it wasn't wasted time, either. I was still able to improve my skills along the way.

Am I the only one who feels like there is a significant difference I'm car stability after pushing a lot in the first lap? Mostly regarding tyre grip.

It seems that as soon as tyres reach a certain temperature, they become much more unstable. Maybe the temperature changes are having an effect with the pressures after they're fully warmed up.

It also feels like too much hard braking reduces the effectiveness of the brakes a lot over a period of time.

Its almost like the fastest way to lap seems to be to stay away from the cars limits.

Is it just me?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
With the new design choices to facilitate microtransactions, its definitely time to SPAM the rivals mode as much as possible.

Don't just do the fastest time you can do immediately. If you're on a 50,000 payout rival and you're a second clear of the ghost at the finish line, slow down a split second before crossing that finish line. Get your money and then race the very next person in the rankings to get the same payout, with a time you know you can beat.

I made mucho mula doing this in FM4. And it wasn't wasted time, either. I was still able to improve my skills along the way.

you dont need to do this any more! now, when you beat a rival, the game selects a new rival for you and you can continue racing. though, come to think of it, your credits rewards likely don't stack, so maybe to maximize cash you should still do it the slow way... needs further testing.

Is the amount related to how high up the leaderboard they are?

Mascot

How is the head tracking? Does it work OK? Does it enhance the experience?

I like the head tracking a lot - seems really to be lean tracking now - which is more natural. At least for me, I lean a lot playing the game, I don't move my head so much.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Is the amount related to how high up the leaderboard they are?

yes

How is the head tracking? Does it work OK? Does it enhance the experience?

i messed around with it for a few races and found it to be really really great. will take some fine tuning, but i quickly increased the sensitivity from 20 to 30 (out of 100) and found that even that may have been too sensitive as it picked up me being lazy and letting my head tilt as i played unintentionally. if i can get it to ignore my head movements and just pick up leans - which should be doable - i think it will add quite a bit to the game. probably wont help with my on track lap times, but like the cockpit adds to my immersiveness and enjoyment.

Mascot

yes

i messed around with it for a few races and found it to be really really great. will take some fine tuning, but i quickly increased the sensitivity from 20 to 30 (out of 100) and found that even that may have been too sensitive as it picked up me being lazy and letting my head tilt as i played unintentionally. if i can get it to ignore my head movements and just pick up leans - which should be doable - i think it will add quite a bit to the game. probably wont help with my on track lap times, but like the cockpit adds to my immersiveness and enjoyment.

Sounds good. So you can quickly glance across to the wing mirrors and see if someone is in your blind spot?

LMFAO at that Francis vid. I agree with him, but how an earth has that fella not had a stroke and/or heart attack. The dude needs to chill, for his own sake.

Mascot

LMFAO at that Francis vid. I agree with him, but how an earth has that fella not had a stroke and/or heart attack. The dude needs to chill, for his own sake.

Francis is just a comedy character. The same bloke does more serious gaming videos as himself. He's actually very articulate and seems to know his onions.

sCHOCOLATE

...They know *exactly* what they're doing and aren't clueless at all. I'm sure its all been pushed on Turn 10 by Microsoft, so I'm not going to bash Turn 10 too much, but the game has definitely been designed with microtransactions in mind.
MS knew exactly what they were doing with Bizarre Creations and PGR3 and PGR4 on the 360.

In this round, however, MS has FM and Forza Horizon(FH) as their in-house racing/driving franchises. Between now and Spring 2014, let's see what surfaces regarding developer disclosure, new FM5 DLC and FH2 development progress.

How will Nurburgring and any other tracks actually be re-introduced to FM5 based on how MS/Turn10 have handled the FM5 debut?

sCHOCOLATE

It's the only way.
We can make a loose prediction based on past events. To posit: What happened to Bizarre Creations while partnered with MS? Answer that and we might have an idea regarding Forza's fate. Emphasis on might. it's impossible to be 100% certain. But history, in all things, has a habit of repeating itself.

Top Bottom