• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors (Zelda Musou) (Zelda Dynasty Warriors) announced

Trago

I don't think the western publishers will think it's worth their time. You could make the argument that Japanese devs need to support Nintendo (for their own good) than the western ones do. An unsuccessful Nintendo in the west doesn't affect their bottom line as much.

And I'm saying all this as a huge Nintendo fan. I wish western devs gave a crap about Wii U.

And despite all of that, it's still more likely than them porting their existing games to Wii U, which is why I bring this up at all.

I've never cared about Dynasty Warriors at all, but I'm interested in this. So if that was their intent, they've succeeded.

However, that video better be from a very early build, because it looks pretty bad. Is it normal in Dynasty Warriors for the enemies to do nothing but stand and rotate to face you?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I enjoy these style of games but I've always felt that the franchise behind them or the theme just wasn't for me. Being a huge Zelda fan... I might actually full complete this bad boy! Pretty sweet.

Musou games really know how to appeal to the fans of the series they represent, even if they're not the most complex, graphically capable games.

Gundam, One Piece, and Kamen Rider Musou are all really faithful to the source material and include direct quotes from the show, recreates move-sets, and have a lot of characters, well, after the initial entry. It's gonna be interesting to see who they choose from Zelda which doesn't have too many well-known characters suited for fighting.

I'm guessing Link, Zelda, Ganondorf are shoe-ins, but beyond that I'm not sure who they'll use.

Well, Nintendo gained at least one sale from this move. No joke, I was on the fence until yesterday, when I decided I didn't really need a Wii U until it hit mega bomba prices. But now I'm going to buy the Navy Exchange bunduru for $200 in anticipation of this title. I love these games, and this is just enough to make me take the plunge. It's something different in a Nintendo franchise, something that I can actually get exited for. Well played, N.

They look like WO3's graphics with Zelda's color palette. It's hard to find a screenshot that makes this immediately obvious, but as someone that has put 80 hours in to that game, you have to trust me that it looks graphically identical.

warriors-orochi-3-xbox-360-2.jpg

I imagine work started on this when WO3's Wii U port finished for launch.

Yeah, one thing people have to realize is that there are TONS of enemies on screen, the graphics aren't going to be that great.

Ridley327

I've never cared about Dynasty Warriors at all, but I'm interested in this. So if that was their intent, they've succeeded.

However, that video better be from a very early build, because it looks pretty bad. Is it normal in Dynasty Warriors for the enemies to do nothing but stand and rotate to face you?

Believe it or not, yes it is.

Jarlaxle

I only ever have fun with the Dynasty Warriors games by playing split screen co-op. I'm guessing there's no chance of that in this game?

Here is what you need to know about Musou games:

1) Always play on a fairly high difficulty. The game is on baby mode for like the first three difficulties. Enemies barely attack, they all stand in circles and send one guy at you at a time like a dance battle, and there's never any pressure between two choices or how fast you can get somewhere with that level of AI.

2) Every trailer is always on an easy difficulty. It's impossible to get a feel for the AI without actually playing it or seeing the game LPed on Youtube. Everyone just gathers around Link here because it's probably on easy,

3) They are ultimately high-score games. Yeah, I suppose you can just put it on easy and press the attack button three times, but you're going to get a shitty score by doing so. By making the most efficient route, using combos and area attacks, and fighting smartly, you maximize your score. It's okay to still not like that genre, but recognize the genre for what it is before you dislike it.

I don't think the western publishers will think it's worth their time. You could make the argument that Japanese devs need to support Nintendo (for their own good) than the western ones do. An unsuccessful Nintendo in the west doesn't affect their bottom line as much.

And I'm saying all this as a huge Nintendo fan. I wish western devs gave a crap about Wii U.

Yeah Nintendo could offer to publish all they want and someone like Bethesda still wouldn't make games for them. Surely there must be some Western devs that would though.

Neiteio

This looks really neat. I think those doubting it now will be a lot more excited as it continues to take shape and more enemies and levels are shown.

I'd really like to see Ganondorf playable, in his own special mode if they can't justify it narratively in the main quest.

At first I was very skeptical after hearing this was a Zelda Dynasty Warriors game. After looking at some gameplay, it looks awesome. I like how they make all his equipment into different kinds of combos he can do. Also, his new costume looks awesome. He looks more like a warrior now.

Since Tecmo did great with One Piece Pirate Warriors, I have no doubt that they'll do the same with this game.

FLEABttn

Banned
If you're a Nintendo fan who doesn't love dynasty warriors but wants to buy this anyways, please have higher standards than this.

ezekial45

Banned
Looks really fucking great. I've got a soft spot for the Musou games, and the Zelda series already looks to be a great fit for this style of action games.

The Wii-U is looking pretty damn good this coming year. I might have to jump in.

Albo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsTtNhNyA_o

Now we can get the voice acting everyone has been asking for.

Barely anyone's ever careful what they wish for. I hope they just stick with grunts. If they're going to experiment with VA, just do hylian gibberish and do it properly, or else not at all. Is it even necessary in a DW game? Who knows exactly what type of crossover this is, or which elements it'll use from zelda and which from DW.

Barely anyone's ever careful what they wish for. I hope they just stick with grunts. If they're going to experiment with VA, just do hylian gibberish and do it properly, or else not at all. Is it even necessary in a DW game? Who knows exactly what type of crossover this is, or which elements it'll use from zelda and which from DW.

If I had to guess, I'd say Link will just grunt and maybe get a short phrase or two while other people talk to him through, I don't know, a magic ankh.

Neiteio

I wonder if they'll actually leave "Legend of Zelda" out of the final title. The trailer said "Hyrule Warriors" is a working title.

On the one hand, it seems highly unadvisable to bank on the average consumer knowing the name "Hyrule." You'd think everyone who likes Link/Zelda would know Hyrule, but there is a certain risk. Thus, naming it something like "The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Warriors" would be safer.

On the other hand, one could argue that having "The Legend of Zelda" in the title suggests a certain style of gameplay -- dungeons, puzzle-solving, etc -- which this title will clearly not have.

I suppose "Link's Crossbow Training" is the closest point of reference. It didn't have Zelda in the title. It did have Link's name, however. And it was more of a peripheral pack-in, anyways.

It looks really lazy and uninspired graphically, art style is pretty bland too. Nintendo should make Tecmo try harder than this. Zelda deserves better.

The game could be fun, but it shouldn't look this low budget.

Silky

Banned

1) Always play on a fairly high difficulty. The game is on baby mode for like the first three difficulties. Enemies barely attack, they all stand in circles and send one guy at you at a time like a dance battle, and there's never any pressure between two choices or how fast you can get somewhere with that level of AI.

2) Every trailer is always on an easy difficulty. It's impossible to get a feel for the AI without actually playing it or seeing the game LPed on Youtube. Everyone just gathers around Link here because it's probably on easy,

3) They are ultimately high-score games. Yeah, I suppose you can just put it on easy and press the attack button three times, but you're going to get a shitty score by doing so. By making the most efficient route, using combos and area attacks, and fighting smartly, you maximize your score. It's okay to still not like that genre, but recognize the genre for what it is before you dislike it.

Bless you.

I wonder if they'll actually leave "Legend of Zelda" out of the final title. The trailer said "Hyrule Warriors" is a working title.

On the one hand, it seems highly unadvisable to bank on the average consumer knowing the name "Hyrule." You'd think everyone who likes Link/Zelda would know Hyrule, but there is a certain risk. Thus, naming it something like "The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Warriors" would be safer.

On the other hand, one could argue that having "The Legend of Zelda" in the title suggests a certain style of gameplay -- dungeons, puzzle-solving, etc -- which this title will clearly not have.

I suppose "Link's Crossbow Training" is the closest point of reference. It didn't have Zelda in the title. It did have Link's name, however. And it was more of a peripheral pack-in, anyways.
It'll be named in line with the other spinoffs, I imagine.

Perhaps Dynasty Warriors Zelda or The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Warriors.

It basically needs Warriors in the name somewhere.

Yawnier

Banned

Couldn't have said it better myself :p. If you want a challenge out of these games use weaker weapons and play on hard or chaos.

Top Bottom