• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot selects their overall Game of the Year for 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

phanphare

Banned
Don't really care for game of the year lists but, as someone who hasn't played Zelda asking a question of someone who has - how much does the game play on the nostalgia factor? I feel like if a website is going to go through with these Game of the Year lists then it makes more sense to pick 'fresh' experiences, no?

so you are implying that ALBW isn't a fresh experience?

I can assure you that's not the case

I just wanted to tell you, Gamespot staff has seen this post and they love it:
shaun_mcinnis_neogaf_by_digi_matrix-d6yjnt0.png

https://twitter.com/smcinnis/status/413779758841737222

Haha this is great.

Don't really care for game of the year lists but, as someone who hasn't played Zelda asking a question of someone who has - how much does the game play on the nostalgia factor? I feel like if a website is going to go through with these Game of the Year lists then it makes more sense to pick 'fresh' experiences, no?

If you dont think ALBW is a fresh experience well... lol.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Gamespot really screwed the pooch on this one.

I've read through the entire thread, and you guys just don't get it: when a website chooses Game of the Year, they have a certain responsibility. Think about it, the gaming media has a lot of power over the minds of gamers. Where do we go for our gaming news? These websites. Where do we go for gaming reviews? These websites. Where do we go for analysis and predictions of companies that may or may not be wrong but take them as fact in our console war threads anyway? These fucking websites.

You see, it's not about what is the most fun game, but about the best game! And I'm sorry you guys, but Link Between Two Worlds is just objectionally not the best game. Reviewers should look at how much money was invested into these games, how much production time went into it, how much the story affects us emotionally. It's not about fun, it's about content. It's about experience.

And now, Gamespot has really screwed up. Now gamers are going to look at this handheld game and think it might be better than The Last of Us. THE LAST OF US. Do you know how many Game of the Year awards that got!? Jeez Gamespot.

Worst of all, now Nintendo is going to think that making titles like Link Between Two Worlds is alright. They're going to keep pumping out these SNES remakes and think that, "Oh, this will be fun for a new generation herp derp hope they like it." They won't learn that it's not about fun anymore! And it's all thanks to websites like Gamespot and all the man-children that bought Link Between Two Worlds.

Hope you guys enjoy your new gaming future, I'm out.

Well played :D

You really should play A LINK BETWEEN WORLDS! It's a much better experience than A LINK BETWEEN TWO WORLDS! And if you are looking to argue a point, you will be in a better position if you call the GOTY by its correct name...

Also.... while LAST OF US was brilliant (and my personal choice for GOTG), it was mostly cinema sequences, where Zelda was ALL GAME!

Why are you so mad that a "Game" won GOTY over a Cinematic showpiece that had gaming elements??

Geeze, people are really getting bent out shape about this selection... like they had a hand in making the game that lost out to Zelda.

1st lol you fell for it and 2nd you clearly haven't played TLoU.

It completely plays on nostalgia but that doesn't make it any lesser of an experience. It's a great game, especially for someone like me who has ALttP on my Mt Rushmore, but it's the kind of thing that Nintendo shouldn't try too often or people will get burned out, just like so many people are burned out on NSMB.

I've read through the entire thread, and you guys just don't get it: when a website chooses Game of the Year, they have a certain responsibility. Think about it, the gaming media has a lot of power over the minds of gamers. Where do we go for our gaming news? These websites. Where do we go for gaming reviews? These websites. Where do we go for analysis and predictions of companies that may or may not be wrong but take them as fact in our console war threads anyway? These fucking websites.

You see, it's not about what is the most fun game, but about the best game! And I'm sorry you guys, but Link Between Two Worlds is just objectionally not the best game. Reviewers should look at how much money was invested into these games, how much production time went into it, how much the story affects us emotionally. It's not about fun, it's about content. It's about experience.

And now, Gamespot has really screwed up. Now gamers are going to look at this handheld game and think it might be better than The Last of Us. THE LAST OF US. Do you know how many Game of the Year awards that got!? Jeez Gamespot.

Worst of all, now Nintendo is going to think that making titles like Link Between Two Worlds is alright. They're going to keep pumping out these SNES remakes and think that, "Oh, this will be fun for a new generation herp derp hope they like it." They won't learn that it's not about fun anymore! And it's all thanks to websites like Gamespot and all the man-children that bought Link Between Two Worlds.

audience.gif

This reads like the Season Finale of the Final Bosman.
Absolutely marvellous.

Pretty big (and great!) surprise.
I cant even decide my own goty because I love so many games this year (Fire Emblem, Mario world, Bioshock Infinite, Last of Us, Zelda, SRIV, Phoenix Wright, Papers Please...), so I imagine how hard is to do this official winners.
Zelda felt fresh and fun (apart from being quite epic, nostalgic, great orchestral soundtrack..), when the franchise, even If I still love it, was getting a bit stale, so its amzingly great that has won one of the Goty awards.

Would love that between all the press the GOTYs are given to a wide range of games, and not all to one, because I feel this year lots of games have a really big chance. Last of Us here, Bioshock Infinite there, another to Super Mario 3D world, etc...

Holy shit, this is amazing.

Harp

I have just about every game on this except the Wii u games. And I think zelda games and Nintendo games in general get away with doing things that no one else can. While many most things in the game work fine. To me its just a rehash of Zelda once again. With a few gameplay tweaks.

the weirdest thing in the video comments is this pervasive attitude that a website can only give a GOTY award to something that a lot of people have played or is on multiple platforms. at least half a dozen people insisting that only multiplatform games can qualify.

I have just about every game on this except the Wii u games. And I think zelda games and Nintendo games in general get away with doing things that no one else can. While many most things in the game work fine. To me its just a rehash of Zelda once again. With a few gameplay tweaks.

To be clear, you're saying you played through the game, right?

KmA

I'm having a hard time telling who is joking and who is not so I'm assuming everyone who is saying something ridiculous to be trolling.

Vibranium

Banned
Well done Gamespot. One of my GOTY's and I've sunk in so much time into the game, it's just fun. I love how they just went out and chose it.

valeo

If you dont think ALBW is a fresh experience well... lol.

I don't know, because I haven't played it - hence my question..?

If it offers a fresh experience then I don't see anything wrong with it being named GotY.

The reason I asked is because the Giant Bomb guys commented briefly on the fact that it was very similar in story and atmosphere as a previous Zelda game.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
the weirdest thing in the video comments is this pervasive attitude that a website can only give a GOTY award to something that a lot of people have played or is on multiple platforms. at least half a dozen people insisting that only multiplatform games can qualify.

But the Stanley Parable isnt multi platform. Contradiction.

MisterHero

Of course. Games of the Year must be nothing short of a cultural event.

As many people have already noted, it's a surprise for zelda to win the award even though it is among the best games of the year, but the much bigger surprise is a handheld title receiving GotY from a major, traditional gaming press site...

That's a really big deal. Now, is this an anomaly or are things really changing?

Anomaly obviously. Merry Christmas Zelda fans!

I don't see why this is a big deal. Last year they gave it to journey, a lot of other sites gave GOTY to the walking dead (which is more than fine on an ios device). Heck they even gave GOTY to a casual game like Skyrim... so all bets are off.

Point is I think they only real bold move would be giving GOTY to something like candy crush saga. Until we get that from a big site, whatever they choose is of a small passing interest.

Legitmately surprised a handheld finally won GOTY after a thread about why handheld or mobile apps don't win GOTY.

Harhar. I chuckled at the 2nd paragraph.

As I play through ALBW I have to add this:

The stealth section in this game automatically removes it from game of the year contention from any sane thinking human.

That is all.

Majestad

Banned
As I play through ALBW I have to add this:

The stealth section in this game automatically removes it from game of the year contention from any sane thinking human.

That is all.

You mean that one section that takes like 5 minutes to be done with and is easy as fuck, and it had amazig music?

sappyday

It's funny that it has gotten to the point where a Zelda game winning GOTY is a surprise.

I still personally think The Last of Us was overall better game. ALBW is amazing is basically perfect but let's not deny that it's A Link to the Past with a new coat of paint.

BPoole

Another joke GOTY Winner for GameSpot. Last year they gave it to Journey, which I'm not even sure qualifies as a video game, and this year a rehash of a 20 year old game no hardly any graphical upgrade wins over the likes of GTAV, Battlefield 4, and Assassin's Creed 4

Zinthar

I was expecting that The Last of Us would run away with the majority of GOTY awards in the way that SMG, Uncharted 2, and Mass Effect 2 did in '07, '09, and '10. This was an absurdly strong year at the top, though -- most of the 2013 nominees would have rolled over the 2012 field if they had come out last year.

Another joke GOTY Winner for GameSpot. Last year they gave it to Journey, which I'm not even sure qualifies as a video game, and this year a rehash of a 20 year old game no hardly any graphical upgrade wins over the likes of GTAV, Battlefield 4, and Assassin's Creed 4

I hope you realise how much joy I get from posts like yours. Some genuine chuckles. Kudos.

Seik

Banned

Oh my gaaaaaawd. This is gold, Jerry, GOLD!

:D

This thread keeps delivering!

I don´t understand. Please give me more.

and this year a rehash of a 20 year old game no hardly any graphical upgrade wins over the likes of GTAV, Battlefield 4, and Assassin's Creed 4

pretty funny joke post, but i dunno about the GTA part at least, i thought it was a pretty damn fun game and enjoyed it quite a bit so-

... oh.

Majestad

Banned

Shawty here is mad salty.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I was hoping for the Last of Us and was going to be annoyed that GTAV or Black Flag or something got picked over it but...

Heck, I'm fine with that pick. Cool that a handheld game can win.

Malvingt2

tumblr_lqenqa2ana1qkiqdko1_500.gif

Yagharek

Amazing to see a handheld game win goty from a big outlet.

Maybe after a year with fire emblem, bravely default, albw and tearaway this will become a more regular occurrence.

I've never understood the stigma handheld games have. Recently they have been superior to many many console aaa games.

Borman

RpVqWCE.gif

I laughed.

Cipherr

Amazing to see a handheld game win goty from a big outlet.

Maybe after a year with fire emblem, bravely default, albw and tearaway this will become a more regular occurrence.

I've never understood the stigma handheld games have. Recently they have been superior to many many console aaa games.

The West doesn't really take to handhelds in general though. Certainly not the development studios anyway. Not even Sony was able to change the way a lot of studios view handhelds, and they were our best hope on that front.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom