• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

painey

just saw an advert on UK TV and like Assassins Creed it only mentioned the PS3, in fact it had the PS3 logo at the start and the end of the advert.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Kingpen said:
I'd like to hear your comparisions directly to Burnout Revenge 360, which I know you were a fan of. You think you'll still play Revenge with this, and if so, does playing Paradise make it hard graphically to go back to Revenge?
Two different games. I am really liking this though and I am experimenting with the online stuff right now. Like I have been saying, this game will do really well if the online elements take off.

Remy

gray_fox224 said:
With this thread as a whole, I think it's safe to say that the unjustified hate for the demo has been demolished.

No, now we have newer, more relevant, better reasons to hate the game. Like the soundtrack.

Or the lack of split-screen.

Or the checkpoints clearing after you upgrade your license.

Or the fact that they added anything in the game related to parking.

:D

Shinraven

so...im a racing slut !! despite my dislike of the demo i ended up picking up the final. :lol
I blame the lack of wipeout HD on my ps3 and I ended up with the 360 version.

1 - I want the achievements, 2 I prefer the triggers on my 360. eat that shane !:lol

no..its not revenge but...its fun ...some events that is. ie mark man. I must admit the game is fun. wicked soundtrack.

I do like how theres no loading..its non stop racing.

I have a love / hate thing going for this game. a very odd feeling. ie when i start a race event i can feel the ai is Really aggressive. as it turned out there are only 8 finish points which is a good thing. now its just a matter of...race how i want, where i want, find shortcut.

Hey Alex I get it. I see your vision now.

the demo did not capture what this game is about fully. Im off to the gym, ill play when i get back

B-Ri

tha_con said:

For shooters, however, 360 pad is champ, bar none.

except that PS3 shooters dont use the 2s, they use the 1s. Some games have broken this though. Resistance used the 2s perfectly.

Surfheart

I really want to get the PS3 version because it's a great system that needs more love, but the achievements on the 360 are making me lean more towards that.

[Homer]Stupid achievements.[/Homer]

VALIS

gray_fox224 said:
With this thread as a whole, I think it's safe to say that the unjustified hate for the demo has been demolished.

:lol :lol

It's all the same people who liked the demo!

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I am getting prompted to update this game to version 1.10 all of a sudden on PS3. Anyone else?

EDIT: Nevermind. I see others are, too.

Surfheart said:
I really want to get the PS3 version because it's a great system that needs more love, but the achievements on the 360 are making me lean more towards that.

[Homer]Stupid achievements.[/Homer]

Burnout Paradise has achievements on both systems, what the PS3 doesnt have is the universal achievement tracker for all games.

It still has things that pop up telling you if you did something special or not, it just depends on if you care about yout useless number at the end of the day or actually knowing you did something good while playing.

it's weird that the game "updated" itself midgame for me. It wasn't showing any offline achievements at all for about an hour and then suddenly bamn! I kept seeing them pop up in the middle-top of the screen. It wasn't to 1.1 but it was something and it was odd.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
I'm getting the hang of Racing. It's a lot wilder now, barely knowing where you're going. Races across maps make me crap my pants! But yea, I usually come in first often anyways. The rubberband AI has improved IMMENSELY, i love it!

I've finally gotten up to 7 road rage takedowns and it's finally gotten challenging, so I moved on to the races. I haven't tried my hand at marked man events though yet. Still driving aroudn the city. Just got my level C license just before I got on here. Found that secret drag area in the mountains, which was totally sweet for awhile, but got a little boring after not seeing any cars for a while. Anybody else find themselves lost in the mountains for a while? Kinda keeps happening. and I only have two yards, which is annoying driving across town to get to them. I'm hoping for a map of them soon, too.

Otherwise, this is the Burnout game I've wanted for a while. It takes some getting used to the non-existent tin can physics (knocking cars into others was great) and takedowns are a bit harder (no after takedowns=lame, you have to make sure you take the other guy down before you hit a wall, which is never guaranteed), and showtime can get annoying when trying to activate another event, but otherwise, this is solid gold stuff.

nib95

Banned
Burnout Paradise Head to Head.

http://uk.insider.ign.com/articles/846/846534p1.html

Graphics

Burnout Paradise is an amazing technical feat and looks great on both systems. The absence of loading screens, the rock solid framerate, the detail on car models, and the sheer speed at which everything is rendered is a stunning achievement. That being said, there are some small but noticeable differences that make the PS3 the clear choice in this category. You'll notice that while colors seem a little more subdued on the PS3 (we were playing with identical screen brightness settings), there is generally a bit more detail in the environments, especially in town with lots of objects being rendered in a comparatively small area.

Likewise, the draw distance is a little cleaner and more distinct in the PS3 version. The 360 version also has a fair amount of pop-in, especially with distant objects. I also found cars in traffic would sometimes add-in a last layer of texture detail as I got closer to them in the 360 version. There's some pop-in in the PS3 version too, but generally speaking, it's much less noticeable, restricted to a tree or some bushes in the background. The PS3 had the slight edge in lighting effects in as well, with some interesting refraction or glint happening at almost all times on your car model, while the 360's lighting seems a little less pronounced.

While both versions of the game run at rock solid framerates, it did seem like the PS3's was a little bit faster, running silky smooth at high speeds. The 360 version is an admirable production but the framerate does seem slightly slower than the PS3's, with an occasional hitch at high speeds. This isn't something to be too concerned about as both version look and feel great at top speed, and most people probably won't ever see a difference unless switching back and forth on an HD monitor. Also, some people may actually prefer the overall look of the 360 version because colors seem to pop a little more brightly from the screen, but otherwise, the game is just a bit more detailed, smoother, and better lit on the PS3. Both versions really do look great, but the edge has to go to the PS3 here.

Surfheart

Linkzg said:
Burnout Paradise has achievements on both systems, what the PS3 doesnt have is the universal achievement tracker for all games.

It still has things that pop up telling you if you did something special or not, it just depends on if you care about yout useless number at the end of the day or actually knowing you did something good while playing.

Good stuff, I didn't know that the PS3 version had achievements too.

I could care less about the stupid number, but I do like being able to see achievements external to the game(and friend's achievements) as a record of what's been done in a particular game.

PS3 it is then. PSN Surfheart (although I guess GAF will be over it by the time we get it down here)

Loudninja

picked up my copy at BB just now; plenty of 360 versions available, but PS3 was down to its last two copies.

Hmm ,the PS3 version is selling pretty well.

Yeah but I'm already heavily invested in my 360 Gamerscore so that's the one I care about.

Just saying dude, people are using them to pick what version to get, whne they both have them.

newsguy

Loudninja said:
Hmm ,the PS3 version is selling pretty well

If GAF is any indication, it's outselling the 360 version by a good amount. This is the first time I've seen such a landslide in terms of the PS3 having the preferred version.

IJoel

I went against my judgment (after playing the demo,) and got the 360 version and can only say that the demo is actually fairly representative of the game. I love the graphics, cars, environments, and most everything about the game but I'm having a really hard time adjusting to their design choices. I'm sure these have been beaten to death in a previous thread, but things like: lack of retries, and lack of focus in racing (having a huge city with tons of roads makes it really hard to know the way to go when you're driving past 100 mph and have to look at the map) are really taking a lot away from my enjoyment of the game. The biggest issue here is that the first problem compounds the second. Not having retries makes it hard to focus on one event, and being able to effectively learn the city.

Anyway, i'll keep playing the game, but so far, I really think the demo will give you a great indication of whether you'll like the game or not. To give you even a better idea, the game starts the exact same way as the demo.

*ducks*

SpeedingUptoStop

I'm starting to feel those ol' tesne burnout muscle cramps from racing too hard. :D It's good to have Burnout back.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Must... not... buy... game.... must not use credit card... fuckit.

SpeedingUptoStop

Using reverse is a bit of pain with the camera moving in a way usually opposing the controller angle too, but i'll work on it. It's much less arcade-y than I'm used to. The cars are all pretty heavy this time around.

steve

Banned
Just played for a few hours with some GAF guys on the PS3 version, had a ton of fun. Voice chat is crystal clear, not an ounce of lag in an 8 man game, and there are literally hundreds of challenges, it will take forever to get through them all.

And you gotta have a headset and camera for the full effect, so awesome.

Big Nate said:
You also have to put the spaces in. Took me 3 tries before I realized this. It'll unlock it, but you can only use the car online until you get your "Burnout License" in the game.

edit: Beaten!

Its a space every 4 letters? The Gamestop guy read mine over the phone.

steve said:
Just played for a few hours with some GAF guys on the PS3 version, had a ton of fun. Voice chat is crystal clear, not an ounce of lag in an 8 man game, and there are literally hundreds of challenges, it will take forever to get through them all.

And you gotta have a headset and camera for the full effect, so awesome.

Aye, still trying to get the hang of "Power Parking" =P

Iamthegamer said:
I'm getting the hang of Racing. It's a lot wilder now, barely knowing where you're going. Races across maps make me crap my pants! But yea, I usually come in first often anyways. The rubberband AI has improved IMMENSELY, i love it!

I've finally gotten up to 7 road rage takedowns and it's finally gotten challenging, so I moved on to the races. I haven't tried my hand at marked man events though yet. Still driving aroudn the city. Just got my level C license just before I got on here. Found that secret drag area in the mountains, which was totally sweet for awhile, but got a little boring after not seeing any cars for a while. Anybody else find themselves lost in the mountains for a while? Kinda keeps happening. and I only have two yards, which is annoying driving across town to get to them. I'm hoping for a map of them soon, too.

Otherwise, this is the Burnout game I've wanted for a while. It takes some getting used to the non-existent tin can physics (knocking cars into others was great) and takedowns are a bit harder (no after takedowns=lame, you have to make sure you take the other guy down before you hit a wall, which is never guaranteed), and showtime can get annoying when trying to activate another event, but otherwise, this is solid gold stuff.
my first RR I hit 14. My second I got the "back from the dead" achievement as I ran through a repair shop while almost dead. Interesting that you can use the repair shops during a RR event but only once - after that they close.
krypt0nian said:
Its a space every 4 letters? The Gamestop guy read mine over the phone.
yes.

newsguy

Iamthegamer said:
I'm starting to feel those ol' tesne burnout muscle cramps from racing too hard. :D It's good to have Burnout back.

Yeah I remember that trance BO3 used to put me in. I miss that. When you're going so fast that things literally feel like they slow down and you're making all the right moves. I felt like Neo.

dkeane

Too much! I just played 3 hours straight. Eyes are bleeding. Awesome stuff.

Anyone have trouble with the PS3EYE? I get some weird feedback.

h3ro

Updating the PSN IDs/Gamertags...

PS3 PSN IDs:

Big Nate - Diseasedyak
KTallguy - KTallguy
McLovin - Quarry
Remy - RemyVJA
Sykra - Sykra
joe211 - gengis
OatmealMu - OatmealMu
calder - caldermuyo
h3ro - m0nkeyhero
Elbrain - Alfred-abomb
Plinko - RedWingLion
BlindMonkey - BlindMonkey
WHOAguitarninja - WHOAguitarninja
cjdunn - cjdunn
krypt0nian - lastsonkrypt0n
Nightz - N1ghtz
DenogginizerOS - Denogginizer
neojubei - neojehuty
Mega Man's Electric Sheep - ElectricSheepNB
Tiduz - Tiduz
TTP - Bloody_Marcel (List full)
Mrbob - Mrbob2k7
EktorPR - EktorOni
Assembly Required - Memory Cure
replayy - replayy
gray_fox224 - riceman224
vercity82 - azmo85
bune duggy - allegate
untoldhero - untoldhero
Somnia - Somnia
kitch9 - kitch9
Sin - Numemonja
Doc Evils - DocEvils
Sirolf - Floris
nofi - nofi
LiquidMetal14 - LiquidMetal14
mysticstylez - SgtCaulk
DJmizuhara - DJmizuhara
Angelcurio - Angelcurio
Slaylock - Slaylock
steve - Asshandler
Ristlager - Ristlager
Kweh - ziggysays
ghostmind - ghostmind
plagiarize - plagiarize
-xBerserker- - xBerserker
bill0527 - Bill0527
Captain N - Captain_N
~Devil Trigger~ - Cydonian
Raw64life - Raw64life
Z_Y - Z_Y
xS1TH L0RDx - xS1THL0RDx
Nightz - N1ghtz
darkressurection - monkyofdoom
Dante - Jenovah
Linkzg - Linkzg64
Guts Of Thor - GutsOfThor
BeeDog - BeeDog
DarkUSS - DarkUSS88
studio810 - dkeane
moeB - moeBT
minimumhippo - minimumhippo
jaydogg691 - jaydogg691
CartridgeBlower - CartridgeBlower
dark10x - dark1x
Mister Chef - ridley182
Fistfulofmetal - Fistfulofmetal
Aladuf23 - Aladuf23
Dot50Cal - Dot50Cal

360 Gamertags:

Rowsdower - mahelar
a Master Ninja - a Master Ninja
Xun - Volcanux
Livin_Lovin - DeadRenegade
burgerdog - burgerdog99
I AM JOHN! - FreakmanJ
MaizeRage25 - MaizeRage25
Eric WK - Eric WK
aidan - Space Donkeys
Opus Angelorum - Aranathos
INTERNET - pushpull
santouras - santouras
Duck - Duckracer1
dskillzhtown - dskillzhtown
C4lukin - C4Lukins
Gowans007 - Gowans007
ascully - Ascullylive
cmmart - cmmart
Median - Median87
crawlingpeter - meltingcones
besada - besada
Kobayashi - el koba
Martial Loh - Martial Loh
DrEvil - Mounlainman
UnholySpectacle - UnholySpectacle
Sasquatch - the bugenhoo
FatalT - FatalT
JdFoX187 - MasterFox187
TeTr1C - BuriedOblivion
Saterium - Saterium
CrapSandwich - whipmeyer
UncleScr00ge - UScr00ge

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Ok I ordered the game today from Amazon and got it with Super Saving shipping so I do not know when my box will get here. Damn I just found out with that shitty that I won't be getting the game till the 4th that is bull shit I just sent them an e-mail to see if I can have it changed. At best I think will get it on 4th which makes me "Sad 50 Cent".

SpeedingUptoStop

bune duggy said:
my first RR I hit 14. My second I got the "back from the dead" achievement as I ran through a repair shop while almost dead. Interesting that you can use the repair shops during a RR event but only once - after that they close.
yes.
No dude, i just got up to 7 as a target goal. I had 28 takedowns on my second RR event.:D

I can't wait until I get so used to the racing playing these beginning cars wil feel totally pedestrian.:D

Synless

Goddamnit.....I have to choose between this or NMH, I can only get one or the other because of a DMC, and LO coming within a few weeks. I'm at a loss right now.

h3ro

fistfulofmetal said:
Oh yeah

PS3 version
PSN: Fistfulofmetal

Ok, your on the list a few posts up...

I'm so jealous of you guys, my copy is still in the mail... grr...

Anyone else really surprised by the amount of people on the PS3 PSN list?

Iamthegamer said:
No dude, i just got up to 7 as a target goal. I had 28 takedowns on my second RR event.:D

I can't wait until I get so used to the racing playing these beginning cars wil feel totally pedestrian.:D
I don't remember what I hit in my second one (lower than 28, though). I really like the changes they made to RR because you can change directions and go onside streets...it's not like you're stuck on a specific route or something. Nice change.
h3ro said:
Ok, your on the list a few posts up...

I'm so jealous of you guys, my copy is still in the mail... grr...

Anyone else really surprised by the amount of people on the PS3 PSN list?
not really. It was made by a PlayStation-favored developer and it was a series that had the most success on the PS family. Still, comparing the market size of both, there should be more selling on the 360 anyway. still, I'm not surprised.

bune duggy said:
not really. It was made by a PlayStation-favored developer and it was a series that had the most success on the PS family. Still, comparing the market size of both, there should be more selling on the 360 anyway. still, I'm not surprised.

Absolutely, the PS3 version is pretty much accepted around here as the superior version, so it's not surprise that it's more popular on GAF. In total sales, however, I expect the 360 version to sell better.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Love the game. Having tons of fun with it. Glad I took the chance on it.

The take downs are great and having free roaming is exactly what this franchise needed.

Thank goodness I can change the music to be my own though, talk about

27wvl7l.gif

Top Bottom