• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Italy Facebook Teaser: "We were naughty, and we're proud of that" (Jan 6)

Foshy

1517567_10152064721720999_95473507_n.png

https://www.facebook.com/sonyplaystationitalia

Roughly translated, it means "We were naughty, and we're proud of that".

Any idea what this could be?

EDIT: It's probably nothing
I didn't connect the dots when I saw it, but Jan 6 is a holiday in Italy where the "Befana" (an old witch) visits children and brings them presents. Or coal, if they've been naughty.

So yeah, it's probably nothing, especially because it hasn't been posted on any other PS account. Not sure why they'd post it 3 days early though.

Edit 2: or maybe something
I'm Italian too (from Milan, born and living in Italy, and quite proficient with the language having spent 5 years working on localization, even if not on games), and I have to disagree with this.

You don't "tease" a holiday just because especially three days in advance. Sony doesn't produce candy or coal. It's very probable that they used the imagery of the holiday that is very rooted in Italy to tease something.

Secondly. The "naughty" translation is actually the most appropriate here. The correct English translation for "cattivi" in the context of receiving gifts from santa or the "Befana" is "naughty" not "bad". You don't generally use the term "bad" for kids, unless their badness is borderline criminal. The "naughty" translation in this case is the correct one. Santa brings you coal if you're "naughty," not if you're "bad."

While I'm definitely not sure that the announcement is related to naughty dog, it's not really a stretch to think that it is. Again, the best tranlation for "cattivi" in the context of holidays, gifting (coal, candy or gifts) and children is "naughty," not "bad."

When you translate something this kind of detail about context is important.

IllumiNate

The controller is burnt, So I'm guessing it means they have something cool that lets you play without a controller...

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
My guess is that its an announcement of the a PS4 meeting they are doing in a month or whatever, similar to the unveil from early last year.

That or they're just announcing a date for the new ad campaign that starts in Italy.

It's a controller made out of coal.

Coal is given to children that have been naughty.

This is probably just some local advertising campaign.

My thoughts exactly. Naughty kids get lumps of coal instead of presents for Christmas. I don't think if there's a deeper meaning behind this though.

_hekk05

Banned
Controller is coal. Coal is given to naughty children. Naughty chdren did not get ps4s for xmas. Jan 6 ps4 restock so they can go get it.

Its a restock date I'm calling it.

Foshy

It's a controller made out of coal.

Coal is given to children that have been naughty.

This is probably just some local advertising campaign.

...you're right.

I didn't connect the dots when I saw it, but Jan 6 is a holiday in Italy where the "Befana" (an old witch) visits children and brings them presents. Or coal, if they've been naughty.

So yeah, it's probably nothing, especially because it hasn't been posted on any other PS account. Not sure why they'd post it 3 days early though.

Knight77

Guys I'm Italian let me explain it better for you. First of all is a wrong translation, it says "we've been bad, and we're proud of that". Its bad and not naughty. Than the pad is made of coal because in Italy on January 6th it is the day of the "Befana", a kind of old "witch" that put in something in the sock you leave hanging on your door: if you've been good she leaves candies, if you've been bad coal. That's it, so nothing to do with naughty dog or anything relevant, maybe some promo...

Edit:http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Befana

Top Bottom