• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSX (Playstation Experience) Attendees Thread Dec 5-6 2015

gazele

Banned
I am interested in GAF PSVR impressions. Are they sprinkled in this thread or is there another thread?

I was really impressed with Playroom VR and Job Simulator but kind of disappointed in EVE valkyrie

In my opinion, the more realistic the graphics try to be the more of an uncanny valley there is for VR right now

Triz

I was really impressed with Playroom VR and Job Simulator but kind of disappointed in EVE valkyrie

In my opinion, the more realistic the graphics try to be the more of an uncanny valley there is for VR right now

Great point. I played Rigs and Job Simulator. I liked both but I felt Job Simulator was the better experience in VR.

gazele

Banned
The resolution just isn't there for PSVR

I'd imagine it is with Oculus since you need a super powerful PC

If I had the money I'd definitely go for Oculus Consumer Version but PSVR will be a good deal no matter how much it costs and I'll probably get it first

Thanks for the impressions. About the image quality: my thoughts on the VR thing is that even if the visuals look like 16-bit games, but its the feeling of 'being there' which is the game changer. Did you guys not experience that feeling with the PSVR for some reason? Does the resolution breaks that immersion?

Darkatomz

Hey thanks everyone for coming by and chatting / playing Cosmic Star Heroine at the Zeboyd booth! It was lots of fun seeing reactions to the game. And also thank you guys in particular for the NeoGaf Grub, that was a life saver!
Great talking to you man, can't wait for the final game!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It's amazing; Game-changing, really. I'm on the run, but I'll post better impressions later.
You should crosspost them to that PSVR thread that has a few hundred posts already.

We need more real world impressions as this stuff can be really impressive.

Triz

Thanks for the impressions. About the image quality: my thoughts on the VR thing is that even if the visuals look like 16-bit games, but its the feeling of 'being there' which is the game changer. Did you guys not experience that feeling with the PSVR for some reason? Does the resolution breaks that immersion?

I didn't have an issue with the resolution. Rigs, while you can look behind you, you just see the guns and the cockpit. A game like Job Simulator was a whole room. It was more of an experience I'd expect from VR.

brandtron8000

Neo Member
I got to try RIGS, REZ infinite and Super Hyper Cube.

RIGS: One of the best in show for me. Controls great since the mechanics are familiar FPS type controls, although a little more tank-like in that you look around within a window that shifts left/right with the right analog stick.

Looking at enemies to shoot was very intuitive for me. The game play itself was very fun. They were demoing the "powerslam" mode. Shooting around 3 enemies or collecting power orbs send you into an "overdrive" state. In overdrive, the goal is to jump into a hoop placed high up top in the middle of the map. Doing that scores your team a point.

Each RIG had different jumps and guns. Running around the map and jumping around felt really great. It was pretty surreal to look down and see your digital body holding onto the robot you're in.

REZ infinite: I played it in first person (not sure if you can change that) and the head tracking to aim felt sooo good. You can also just use the controller if you want or whatever mixture of both.

If something flew by, you could turn your head and shoot it behind you. I really liked looking around when the perspective would change to left-right. It still felt like my body was rushing forward in space for a bit after I stopped playing.

Super Hyper Cube: A pretty neat puzzle game where the idea is there is a wall coming toward you with a hole in it, in front of you is a puzzle piece, at first just one cube, but a new piece is attached after each wall.

The goal is to manipulate the puzzle piece to fit through the hole in the wall as it comes towards you. The hook there is you can only see the hole in the wall by physically looking around the puzzle piece in front of you. You play it standing up.

If you line it up right, you can hit X and zoom by (it's always a rush) and after a few correct turns you can earn a power up that slows down time in a pinch. The puzzle piece gets bigger and bigger, while the hole in wall always changes, and would sometimes even change mid-way to throw you off. It was very fun.

One of my friends got to try "Kitchen" and said it was pretty amazing.

Did somebody managed to play/see Kerbal Space Program and Abzu ? They were supposed to be playable.

I played Abzu! It was presented as "no objectives" so I swam around for a while, and randomly found a couple little underwater lights that had some kind of AI in them. I had a sonar ping that I used to find them, fixed them, and they followed me around sometimes doing little tasks. I didn't know what the purpose was but they were fun to have around. Maybe played for 15 minutes. Interesting!

I could totally write up some more impressions, but I'll use a different post.

If anyone else is having trouble getting rewards from the app you should have got, speak up.

Say so here.

Was the PSN booth the one on the back wall of floor 1? With the statue? I scanned on the left side of that but maybe that was the wrong one? That's the only one I care about because it prevented me from getting the $10 voucher. Everything else seems legit.

UrbanRats

I played Abzu! It was presented as "no objectives" so I swam around for a while, and randomly found a couple little underwater lights that had some kind of AI in them. I had a sonar ping that I used to find them, fixed them, and they followed me around sometimes doing little tasks. I didn't know what the purpose was but they were fun to have around. Maybe played for 15 minutes. Interesting!

Did you get the impression that levels were bigger than something like Journey? It's something i've been trying to understand about the game, if it's one big underwater area, or various smaller "rooms" in a linear fashion, like Journey.

I "beat" the demo they had for Abzu, definitely one of my favorite games there. It was so relaxing until a shark ate one of my little buddies. I accidentally crashed the Cosmic Star Heroine vita demo, which made me sad because I was having a wonderful time playing it.

Another game I had a great time with but the name is escaping me, was a 4 player puzzle game with a match 3 colored bricks and make your way to the top of the screen. Played that with three strangers and we all enjoyed it so much we played another full round.

I am interested in GAF PSVR impressions. Are they sprinkled in this thread or is there another thread?

I got to play Until Dawn: Rush of Blood and had a blast playing it! As you've probably read, you're on a roller-coaster shooting at various objects.

The VR records your ducking and weaving while also allowing you to turn your head in any direction - so if you see something out of the corner of your eye, chances are, you can turn to look. The game uses 2 PS Move controllers, which allows you to dual-wield pistols. I liked that when I needed to adjust the VR helmet from sliding, the guns became hands.

Game was fun, bloody and managed to scratch that House of the Dead itch I've had. Not sure if I'll get VR, but I will probably get another Move controller (I have 1 as well as the analog stick).

Kanashimi

If anyone else is having trouble getting rewards from the app you should have got, speak up.

Say so here.

Panels didn't scan for me so I can't get the $10 credit. Other ones that made me sad is it didn't register at Severed's booth, Ratchet & Clank, Acttil, Amplitude, or Darkest Dungeon. Funomena I did like four times and still nothing.

Toki767

Panels didn't scan for me so I can't get the $10 credit. Other ones that made me sad is it didn't register at Severed's booth, Ratchet & Clank, Acttil, Amplitude, or Darkest Dungeon. Funomena I did like four times and still nothing.

Ah, if you went to the Help Desk on Sunday they would have fixed it for you.

I would send a tweet or something to @AskPlaystation to see if they can hook you up with who to contact.

I really wanted that Amplitude dynamic theme. :(

I also didn't get my PSN scan thingy, so no $10 credit for me either. I don't care about that one really. I just wanted my Amplitude dynamic theme. :(

Did you get the impression that levels were bigger than something like Journey? It's something i've been trying to understand about the game, if it's one big underwater area, or various smaller "rooms" in a linear fashion, like Journey.

To be honest, I didn't get a good feel for the size of the game. You could surface but it seemed there were barriers to prevent you from moving around on top, but swimming below the surface would move gracefully between very different areas (kelp forest, an ice area) and you sort of had to dig around for the transitions.

kng3025

My 10$ Voucher code doesn't work. Says it may already be in use and isn't valid. No idea why.

I didn't get my $10 voucher despite scanning in at the Playstation network booth. Couldn't get my gold trophy card as a result.

My voucher for guacamelee also says it may already be in use/isn't valid

krae_man

My 10$ Voucher code doesn't work. Says it may already be in use and isn't valid. No idea why.

That's because you tried to redeem it on a non US PSN account.

I'm in a similar boat. I can't even see my code anymore and didn't write it down and I'm trying to either get the code back so I can give it away or sell it, or have them give me Canadian monies.

Here are my PS VR Impressions (in order that I got to play)

PlayRoom VR: The VR portion I played was the Cat & Mouse game. I had more fun looking around the room itself than trying to catch the mice. The depth and scale was great. The other two games were helping the VR wearing catch ghosts, and then run away from a monster. Both were fun as secondary players too. This one was played entirely sitting down.

Super Hyper Cube: This was the most relaxing game I played in VR. The visuals were crisp and the actual gameplay was fun. Looking down and seeing a wireframe model of the DS4 that moved in realtime was really cool. This one was played standing up.

Loading Human: Waited entirely too long for this, thanks to a girl holding the line for SIX people in front of me. This was one of the non-RSVP games to play. This was the first one I played that used the Move controllers. I needed more time to get used to the controls like ducking and what not, but reacting with the environment was cool. The fire fighting stuff was a little lackluster, but near the end when you had to lift up a log, I looked down and actually felt like I was going to fall forward. That feeling even though it wasn't going to happen, was really incredible to feel.

Rigs: Even though I'm not big into competitive MP, this was so polished and fun. I can only imagine things like Macross, Pacific Rim, Evangelion, etc style games with Mech based themes. The first time I swooped up in the air and jumped into the goal while looking down, just felt incredible!

London Heist: Aside from Rez, this was the demo I wanted to play the most. The intro was so awesome when you stood up and could listen to the phone in your ear. Then the actual Heist part with the actual reloading and aiming. I've done this in real life and doing the same exact motions felt 1:1. I hope they bundle this with the VR!

GNOG: This was some random puzzle game I saw on the floor when we were leaving on Sunday. It was simple and seemed interesting. Felt like Fez with the music and visuals.

All in all, I would buy VR today if it was for sale. As it was the thing I wanted to play the most at PSX, it was well worth it.

finalflame

Gold Member
Has anyone found a solution/PoC for not getting credit for attending a panel? I have zero confidence regular Sony support will be able to resolve this and it's really annoying that I attended two panels, scanned, and have not gotten credit for them, meaning no $10 PSN voucher.

krae_man

Has anyone found a solution/PoC for not getting credit for attending a panel? I have zero confidence regular Sony support will be able to resolve this and it's really annoying that I attended two panels, scanned, and have not gotten credit for them, meaning no $10 PSN voucher.

Current response is "I don't know what to do so I'm gonna disconnect from this chat".

If I hear anything differwnt regarding these app issues I'll let you know.

Here are my PS VR Impressions (in order that I got to play)

PlayRoom VR: The VR portion I played was the Cat & Mouse game. I had more fun looking around the room itself than trying to catch the mice. The depth and scale was great. The other two games were helping the VR wearing catch ghosts, and then run away from a monster. Both were fun as secondary players too. This one was played entirely sitting down.

Super Hyper Cube: This was the most relaxing game I played in VR. The visuals were crisp and the actual gameplay was fun. Looking down and seeing a wireframe model of the DS4 that moved in realtime was really cool. This one was played standing up.

Loading Human: Waited entirely too long for this, thanks to a girl holding the line for SIX people in front of me. This was one of the non-RSVP games to play. This was the first one I played that used the Move controllers. I needed more time to get used to the controls like ducking and what not, but reacting with the environment was cool. The fire fighting stuff was a little lackluster, but near the end when you had to lift up a log, I looked down and actually felt like I was going to fall forward. That feeling even though it wasn't going to happen, was really incredible to feel.

Rigs: Even though I'm not big into competitive MP, this was so polished and fun. I can only imagine things like Macross, Pacific Rim, Evangelion, etc style games with Mech based themes. The first time I swooped up in the air and jumped into the goal while looking down, just felt incredible!

London Heist: Aside from Rez, this was the demo I wanted to play the most. The intro was so awesome when you stood up and could listen to the phone in your ear. Then the actual Heist part with the actual reloading and aiming. I've done this in real life and doing the same exact motions felt 1:1. I hope they bundle this with the VR!

GNOG: This was some random puzzle game I saw on the floor when we were leaving on Sunday. It was simple and seemed interesting. Felt like Fez with the music and visuals.

All in all, I would buy VR today if it was for sale. As it was the thing I wanted to play the most at PSX, it was well worth it.

This is what I was hoping for and I guess they have achieved it. Hopefully as devs get more familiar to VR, the experiences will get better and better.

Now announce the date and price Sony!!

Cudder

That's because you tried to redeem it on a non US PSN account.

I'm in a similar boat. I can't even see my code anymore and didn't write it down and I'm trying to either get the code back so I can give it away or sell it, or have them give me Canadian monies.

Could absolutely be and that's what I figured. Came from Toronto. Any idea who to contact to get a proper North American code?

I can't remember the name of the PSVR game that I played. It took place in a city that was being attacked by alien ships. You had to fly close to each ship and hit a red weak spot to kill it. Then fly on to the next one. Your shots could destroy buildings if you weren't careful.

This has to be just a tech demo because it didn't feel like are real game at all. Everything was the same color (other than the enemy weak spots). Nothing had textures. It seriously looked like something from the PS1 era. On top of that I don't believe that the unit was on my head properly because it was pretty blurry. I really didn't feel very immersed as a result.

I have tried oculus in the past and I get what makes VR so exciting but I wasn't feeling the love from this particular demo. Not writing off PSVR just yet but it really going to take a must have game to get me to purchase it.

pooptest

Say so here.

It says I didn't check in to the PSN Network booth, which is a lie, because I checked into it 3 times. 2/3 times there was an issue with the phone, but it said it still registered my entry. There's a few other ones, but that one is preventing me from getting my $10 voucher and the Platinum.

Worst system ever in place. So surprised they even did this. They should've just gave all the attendees all of the redeemable awards for attending / give it to the 2-day people or something.

I'm mostly having trouble redeeming certain things. Seems like I can only redeem one or two at a time before eventually hitting an error page. Finally got my $10 voucher (and subsequently picked up Jackbox Party Pack 2) and then tried to get Guacamelee. It came up after entering the code, but when I clicked redeem game it gave me an error and now the redeem code page isn't working yet again.

It says I didn't check in to the PSN Network booth, which is a lie, because I checked into it 3 times. 2/3 times there was an issue with the phone, but it said it still registered my entry. There's a few other ones, but that one is preventing me from getting my $10 voucher and the Platinum.

Worst system ever in place. So surprised they even did this. They should've just gave all the attendees all of the redeemable awards for attending / give it to the 2-day people or something.

The playstation network booth was the one in the center of the back wall where there playstation vue kiosk was. when i went to check in they made me sit through a 10 minute demonstration of ps vue.

if you checked into the one on the far right that was the playstation now kiosk. it didn't count for the $10 voucher.

sucks that they didn't have these labeled. i imagine a lot of folk made the same mistake because there was a huge line for the ps now booth on saturday.

The playstation network booth was the one in the center of the back wall where there playstation vue kiosk was. when i went to check in they made me sit through a 10 minute demonstration of ps vue.

if you checked into the one on the far right that was the playstation now kiosk. it didn't count for the $10 voucher.

sucks that they didn't have these labeled. i imagine a lot of folk made the same mistake because there was a huge line for the ps now booth on saturday.

I didn't get credit for lots of booths that were having problems. On a lot of them it said it registered my swipe even though it wasn't on the screen where it would show my name. And I didn't get credit for any of those booths, including the PSN booth.

Those having issues with the App not recording check ins can contact askplaystation on Twitter. They will take your psn and look into your situation.

krae_man

That'd be awesome, my panel one isn't working either. I've got I think like four themes and the keynote games unlocked. :(

It shows I never scanned in at a panel or the PSN booth so now I can't redeem $10 reward. Pretty sure I did a bunch of others too that still aren't showing up even after re-signing in my profile a few times, but the $10 hurts the most.

Was the PSN booth the one on the back wall of floor 1? With the statue? I scanned on the left side of that but maybe that was the wrong one? That's the only one I care about because it prevented me from getting the $10 voucher. Everything else seems legit.

Having a issue for two places that I checked in at and it's not giving me a check or the codes Bound and Guacamelee

Yeah what katsubento said. Sony's official response is tweet @AskPlaystation now and they will look into it.

They need to to just give everyone everything and give people someone to contact that doesn't have a 140 character limit but that's the answer I got.

Cudder

Went onto Livechat with Sony support and got a working North American code. Easy enough.

I still have the original US only code I got through the app. No clue if it is still valid or not since I tried a bunch of times to redeem it, but if it can be used by someone I'll gladly give it away. First to PM.

danRandall

Neo Member
so i tried Rez Infinite, London Heist and Rigs. I have never tried VR before and was super curious about it. Loved loved loved the immersion. The graphics........are they supposed to look kind of bad? The jaggies were horrendous and very distracting. In London Heist it was hard to make some things out through the cloudy (for lack of a better word) graphics. I have never been to a gaming show before and obviously these are still in development but is this what VR is going to be, the coolest, most immersive PS2-PS3 level looking games? I'm not hating just wondering since everything i've read before is how crisp the games looked. I also could see the slightest hint of screen door effect. That said, give me a reasonable price and I'm probably in.

krae_man

so i tried Rez Infinite, London Heist and Rigs. I have never tried VR before and was super curious about it. Loved loved loved the immersion. The graphics........are they supposed to look kind of bad? The jaggies were horrendous and very distracting. In London Heist it was hard to make some things out through the cloudy (for lack of a better word) graphics. I have never been to a gaming show before and obviously these are still in development but is this what VR is going to be, the coolest, most immersive PS2-PS3 level looking games? I'm not hating just wondering since everything i've read before is how crisp the games looked. I also could see the slightest hint of screen door effect. That said, give me a reasonable price and I'm probably in.

PS4 isn't powerful enough to handle the required resolution and framerate for VR. They have to cut corners on both unfortunately.

Although I will say, with most games it was more noticeable for still objects then objects in motion. EG being in the pit area in Riggs= jaggies everywhere, playing the game? Didn't notice.

krae_man

Went onto Livechat with Sony support and got a working North American code. Easy enough.

I still have the original US only code I got through the app. No clue if it is still valid or not since I tried a bunch of times to redeem it, but if it can be used by someone I'll gladly give it away. First to PM.

Meanwhile I was just told "I need to escalate your case. We will get back to you in 3 business days"

I "beat" the demo they had for Abzu, definitely one of my favorite games there. It was so relaxing until a shark ate one of my little buddies. I accidentally crashed the Cosmic Star Heroine vita demo, which made me sad because I was having a wonderful time playing it.

Another game I had a great time with but the name is escaping me, was a 4 player puzzle game with a match 3 colored bricks and make your way to the top of the screen. Played that with three strangers and we all enjoyed it so much we played another full round.

To be honest, I didn't get a good feel for the size of the game. You could surface but it seemed there were barriers to prevent you from moving around on top, but swimming below the surface would move gracefully between very different areas (kelp forest, an ice area) and you sort of had to dig around for the transitions.

Thanks for the Abzu impressions! Sounds promising. Love the animations shown in footage.

finalflame

Gold Member
Thanks for the Abzu impressions! Sounds promising. Love the animations shown in footage.

To add, Abzû was also absolutely one of my best in show. I had such an amazing serene time playing that game. It looked great and I was like 2' from a 42" screen while playing it.

The range of emotions invoked by the sound/amazing ambiance in the game was great. That, and the total tonal shift when out of fucking nowhere this adorable underwater drone is suddenly violently destroyed in one fell swoop by a shark. Like holy shit that hit me like a ton of bricks and was so well delivered that I have full confidence that what they're going to do for the rest of the game will be amazing.

It felt like underwater Flower but with more connection.

Darvan

Just wanted to add I was told to contact @askplaystation about codes issue's and they will fix it for you which they did for me.

Yeah what katsubento said. Sony's official response is tweet @AskPlaystation now and they will look into it.

They need to to just give everyone everything and give people someone to contact that doesn't have a 140 character limit but that's the answer I got.

kng3025

That's the same booth I scanned in at and I'm wondering if it was indeed the wrong one.

Just wanted to add I was told to contact @askplaystation about codes issue's and they will fix it for you which they did for me.

I just got off a chat with a rep by the name of Jose. Told him about my issue with the booth scanning not showing up and not getting the $10 voucher. He actually gave me a new code, which was unexpected yet awesome. I wasn't sure if he knew exactly what I was talking about,so I was happy he was able to help. Said it was due to the inconvenience I of the whole thing.He also helped me out with my Guacamelee code which kept giving me an error every time I tried to redeem it. He was really cool,and one of the best customer service reps I've ever dealt with. Had a great sense of humor too, to boot.

krae_man

Nice you guys got good help. My reps have either tried to shoehorn the issue into the "the voucher code in my retail package is missing, blank or illegible" template or "I don't know what to do so I'm gonna say no because that's faster". I always get the people who care more about speed of service then quality.

rc213

So much loot from PlayStation Experience that I will probably trash later on.

Highlights of the conference have to be KillStrain, Hob, Brutal, Stories:The Path of Destinies. I mostly spent my time trying out the small games and i came away satisfied with my decision.

Top Bottom