• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VI Android/iOS impressions thread

SILENCE

PIXELATED, LOW-COLOR GRAPHICS ARE THE ARTISTS' ORIGINAL INTENTION

Are you questioning their glorious, flawless purity?

;)

I was actually a big fan of Mode 7 back in the day, but that particular section was always rough. It seemed like an inspired idea at the time, but they didn't have the tech to implement it properly.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Auto-battle automatically repeating Blitzes almost seems like cheating.

Now I really can't wait for somebody to get to Cyan. If auto-battle treats his abilities the same way...

gblues

Banned
The Android screens look like they're being drawn for a phone screen and then upscaled for a tablet. Expect it to look a lot better actually on the device (this is my experience with FFV at least).

I can't believe that "espier" typo in the intro. (Unless they changed its spelling across the game, but why would they do that?) That's just... disgustingly embarrassing. If they weren't going to just take the text from the GBA version wholesale, why didn't they hire a copy editor? As an editor myself, stuff like this just bugs the shit out of me.

The horrifically ugly new character sprites were just the beginning. How could they have screwed this up so badly? And I say this as someone who generally likes modern Square Enix.

I wish Square wouldn't charge us 15€ for this... I adore the redone art and qould love 8 direction movement, but I already have the PS1 version that I can emulate on my cell phone easily, might pick it up once it goes on sale or something.

tbm24

I wish Square wouldn't charge us 15€ for this... I adore the redone art and qould love 8 direction movement, but I already have the PS1 version that I can emulate on my cell phone easily, might pick it up once it goes on sale or something.
This is a full title remake of a game that has a lot of content. They should not be charging 5$ for this. The price is more than justified.

This is a full title remake of a game that has a lot of content. They should not be charging 5$ for this. The price is more than justified.

That's not what I'm saying, I understand That Square sells it at that price (even though I think 10€/14$ should cut it), but I'm having a hard time justifying to pay the money when I can already play the game on mobile, I'd still recommend this to anyone who hasn't played the game yet, but for me personally it's not easy.

tbm24

That's not what I'm saying, I understand That Square sells it at that price (even though I think 10€/14$ should cut it), but I'm having a hard time justifying to pay the money when I can already play the game on mobile, I'd still recommend this to anyone who hasn't played the game yet, but for me personally it's not easy.
Well I'll say this much. Having the luxury of popping in and out of game at a moments notice and it auto saving all the time is worth the money enough enough for me. Plus I happen to really dig the look of the whole thing and the game is easily the best version released this far in terms of content. I'd say as a whole but odds are likely someone might yell at me.

Vice

Those screens from the intro sequence have convinced me to buy this day one. The new sprites look good. A nice change of pace from the other versions.

ctothej

For all of my qualms with the graphics, I do really like the character portraits. They're basically higher res, more detailed versions of the original. Unless there is new content though, I can't see myself downloading this. A port of the GBA version with SNES color + sound restored would have been preferable.

Does anyone know what the hidden Blitzes are? In the achievements screenshot, they are mentioned separately from Sabin's Blitzes. Is that what Desperation Attacks are called now?

studyguy

P0m2eIX.jpg
The world map looks fine, though the movement feels a little loose with the 8-way. Maybe I'm fatfingering it. The the scenes for the different environments outside look really nice on a mobile screen though.

Edgar's Character portrait is really nice compared to what I remember.

I have my phone set to auto shutdown after 20 seconds though, sometimes it'll start to dim and try to shut down while the program is active. Odd.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
;)

I was actually a big fan of Mode 7 back in the day, but that particular section was always rough. It seemed like an inspired idea at the time, but they didn't have the tech to implement it properly.
Oh it was a godawful effect even in 1994!

Psxphile

Now I really can't wait for somebody to get to Cyan. If auto-battle treats his abilities the same way...

I thought I heard somewhere that you actually select what skill you want to use first, then it auto-charges the appropriate amount whilst you're selecting other commands. Or was that someone's wishful thinking? Seems like a good way to do it, which means its chances of being implemented by Square-Enix isn't looking so hot.

Mip-mapping was doable back then, if Lucasarts and their Super Star Wars line is anything to go by. Not sure how much it would've helped, though.

Edit: kinda strange seeing Edgar so blue. I guess we're fortunate they didn't revert Terra's hair back to blonde.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
How do you construe redrawing every sprite in the game as 'cutting every corner'?

Did they actually do this, and still somehow ended up with these blurry, upscaled (that's what it looks like at least), ugly things which don't fit in with the backgrounds whatsoever? Great job in that case. If they actually did redraw them from the ground up, why don't they look sharper? The portraits look good, so why are the character sprites so shitty? Are you telling me they intentionally went for this awful look?

ViciousDS

Banned
this needs to hit iOS ASAP!

glad to see that blitz is really easy to perform lol, but I actually like some of the improvements i am seeing here.

Goli

Did they actually do this, and still somehow ended up with these blurry, upscaled (that's what it looks like at least), ugly things which don't fit in with the backgrounds whatsoever? Great job in that case. If they actually did redraw them from the ground up, why don't they look sharper? The portraits look good, so why are the character sprites so shitty? Are you telling me they intentionally went for this awful look?

You'd really have to be blind not to notice that everything is redone and not simply upscaled. It's redone, then upscaled. They probably did that because the target specs for these ports are iPhone 3GS levels of hardware it seems, and if the sprites were of an even higher resolution they wouldn't run well on those devices. At any rate, many of the things like the tiling issues, or the blur around each character has due to upscaling that seem very evident on a computer screen are not so when actually played on a device with a way smaller screen.

Jacobbles

The more I look at the game, the less ugly I find it to be. The character sprites still bug me, though.

Is it out on iOS this week?

Pretty sad to see all the graphical errors. But I'm sure there is still a lot of fun to be had walking around collecting espiers.

studyguy

Characters look like they are actually in the seats in the old generation low resolution sprite version

The oddest thing is that the characters sitting inside the armors are a single cohesive sprite outside of battle. It's only within battle that they split them at the torso.
It's hard to see it on mobile either way till it gets blown up after uploading it here to a larger screen.

Also have a dead... was it Wedge or Biggs on the third row?

Clearly, yes. You not personally liking something is not the definition of "cutting corners".

Begaria

Those of you complaining about "espiers" should really go play The Legend of Heroes games on PSP. The level of incompetency when it comes to localization in those games are a Legend unto themselves. It makes "espiers" look like a cute little type in comparison.

Pretty sad to see all the graphical errors. But I'm sure there is still a lot of fun to be had walking around collecting espiers.
So did they rewrite the script or something? Is that where that typo is coming from?

Clearly, yes. You not personally liking something is not the definition of "cutting corners".
While I wouldn't say that they didn't put in any effort, it's clear that there are some texture issues like those highlighted above (that, unless I'm wrong, look like they are due to corners being cut).

MEsoJD

Banned
Everything, but the character sprites look good. Dammit I've been waiting a long time for this game and will eventually give in.

I'll settle for the iOS version of my favourite game of all time but I really think S-E is just leaving so much money on the table by neglecting PSN/XBLA releases of these games.

(They even have the trophies/achievements already, I hope it's a sign.)

Agreed. These remakes would be great PS4/Vita (or PS3/Vita) cross-buy games. Hell, they could even release them on 3DS. Huge missed opportunity.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I thought I heard somewhere that you actually select what skill you want to use first, then it auto-charges the appropriate amount whilst you're selecting other commands. Or was that someone's wishful thinking? Seems like a good way to do it, which means its chances of being implemented by Square-Enix isn't looking so hot.

According to the dude recording his playthrough with screenshots this is how it works.

That's a pretty big buff. I might actually buy this, because I've wanted a decent Cyan in FF6 since forever.

Rlan

Posted this in the previous thread about this:

xHm4vbG.jpg

Seeing this, I decided to quickly mock up what you could possibly see the game looking like with correct sprite ratios.

The original pic here:

ff6og1.png

and now the mockups:

ff64.png
ff65.png

Also for kicks, if the game was altered to fit a more portrair resolution, as the DQ games are going.

ff6portrait.png

It's a rather difficult thing to manage, especially since the SNES did run in a weird, very square resolution that does not fit within any resolutions that continue today. remakes of FInal Fantasy games have had to cut from the top or bottom, or add more to the sides in order to make it work correctly, as you can see from the 'iPhone 5" resolution I did.

Teletraan1

Banned
For those who dont like the look of the sprites and how shoddy they look just sit further from your phone or tablet or get longer arms. The average person with a 7ft wingspan wont even be able to tell the difference.

Grief.exe

For those who dont like the look of the sprites and how shoddy they look just sit further from your phone or tablet or get longer arms. The average person with a 7ft wingspan wont even be able to tell the difference.

Put that quote on the back of the metaphorical box.

Toth

The world map looks fine, though the movement feels a little loose with the 8-way. Maybe I'm fatfingering it. The the scenes for the different environments outside look really nice on a mobile screen though.

Edgar's Character portrait is really nice compared to what I remember.

I have my phone set to auto shutdown after 20 seconds though, sometimes it'll start to dim and try to shut down while the program is active. Odd.

For years, I always thought Edgar was giving the middle finger to whoever he was talking too lol

heringer

I'm enjoying this thing. I wish the character sprites were better though.

Also, I think in some sections they use the original art up scaled, contrary to FFV which is completely new.

Im scratching my head at how anyone thinks this is a good port.

I suppose there are a few area that are well done but overall it seems like the game was terribly butchered. .

tbm24

Im scratching my head at how anyone thinks this is a good port.

I suppose there are a few area that are well done but overall it seems like the game was terribly butchered. .

Well, it helps to play the game rather than judging off of pictures alone. What about the game was terribly butchered? It's no secret that I'm pretty partial to these FF remakes on mobile but I really would like to know what is butchered because people said the same thing about the V remake which I beat earlier in the week and didn't understand that accusation either.

Alex

I really dislike the player sprites, rest looks good to me, event viewer is fantastic. Just hope the music makes it through proper and not fed through a woodchipper like the GBA.

Top Bottom