• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VI Android/iOS impressions thread

Soma

Square Enix right now:

89i66EZ.gif

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
General Leo doing the Michael Jackson lean forward in that screenshot. If not he definitely has spinal issues.

They pretty much all do that to some degree. Cyan and Shadow have got the mad puffed-out chest thing going on too. It's a bit less noticeable on Sabin and Edgar, but they've still got it some.

Locke's actually got more of a beer belly sorta thing going on. Apparently the thievin' life's been good to him and he's sorta let himself go.

Jacobbles

SE doesn't seem to give two shits about Final Fantasy VI anyway. I'm still sore that FF6 never got a third character rep in Dissidia 012.
Neither did FF9, why did the two best games get shafted?

ixix

Oh I know. It's just heavily emphasized in this port.

Well, if there's one thing this port is good at emphasizing, it's ugliness.

In Leo's case it's a sort of serendipity.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
WOW, usual bunch of GAF whiners. FF6 is my favorite game of all time, and I find this remake more than acceptable. It feels very fresh. It's good. no regrets here, and i've beat the game about 30 times already.

Oh shit MaximusPrime is here to let us know how he feels. Pack it up everyone, all your opinions are wrong.

ixix

Bee tee dubs peeps, if any of you have recruited Sabin and maybe noticed that only directional inputs are available for Blitzes and that holy shit the menu screen does not tell you how to perform Blitzes anymore, the input for the Meteor Strike is:

Upper Right, Upper Left, Down, Up

Now go forth and Suplex that train in peace.

Synless

That general Leo shot is such ass as is the world map. I can't believe this is the best they could muster for a remake, even by mobile standards this is mediocre at best.

ixix

So new players (or forgetful veterans) have to use a guide to do anything beyond pummel?

Another fail added to the list.

Yes. It still explains how to Pummel against Vargas, but Sabin's ability menu says nothing about what inputs are required. It just lists the name and what it does, but says nothing about how to perform it.

wrowa

That general Leo shot is such ass as is the world map. I can't believe this is the best they could muster for a remake, even by mobile standards this is mediocre at best.

It's by the same studio that made the DS remakes, even. I thought those looked pretty competent all things considered. But Matrix's iOS software is just bottom of the barrel stuff. Between FF Dimensions, FFV and FFVI they've done some really ugly stuff.

I wish the FF remakes could look like FF ATB. The game might not have been good, but it definitely looked great. It truly captured the 16bit style.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Based on Amano's art. They aren't the actual art pieces. These are the actual art pieces those pictures are based off of:

Terra_II.jpg

Locke_4.jpg

Ff6_edgar.jpg

Oddly enough, they could've probably used Amano's art, overlay green hair on Terra and tweak Locke's colors and it would've also worked.

How amazing would an HD remake be of all Amano art just pasted in?

I can't believe the game no longer tells you the input commands for the Blitzes. What an oversight.

Between that, the "Espier" typo, the inconsistent environment graphics, and the horrendous character sprites... this sure does seem like a rush job. FF VI deserves better.

At least the music sounds great and the character portraits are (mostly) good so far. The enemy sprites seem to be a general improvement too.

Still, this whole thing is certainly less than the sum of its parts.

Haunted

Character portraits and updated enemy sprites seem to be the least offensive part of this package.

Rest seems like hot garbage, especially when you see the details in the bigger shots. Just abysmal art direction, a real shame what they did to one of the era's most beautiful games to squeeze a couple more bucks out of their fanbase.

I don't like the portrait art on most of the characters.

I also feel like movement is more difficult in Final Fantasy VI than Chrono Trigger.

And, while I do like the sprite art for Terra and Relm(at least, from previews, I haven't reached that point in the game yet), the sprite art for most characters I find somewhat disappointing.

Another problem I have is battle transitions, they seem slow. Perhaps it is that my tablet is outdated, being a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2. But it shouldn't be too difficult, and perhaps it is poorly optimized. My tablet is able to emulate PlayStation games like Final Fantasy IX without problems. So it shouldn't have difficulty playing Final Fantasy VI, even with updated graphics.

I'm still enjoying it right now. But those are my criticisms.

THE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION IS... Can I still use Vanish+Doom on Intangir?

This.

But seriously i didnt know this was even coming out and yes some of those graphics look like ass, but the question is does it play like the original FF6. If the gameplay is still the same minus a couple nuances then im jumping as soon as I get a wifi connection for my Nexus.

And a little off topic, but is their a thread about Android gaming? Looking to find damn good SRPGs, RPGs and TD games for my Nexus 7. Any help would be appreciated.

Zelias

Banned
Those character sprites look like ass and clash horribly with the rest of the graphics. Terrible. Character portraits are nice though Edgar's is a bit derpy.

Mael

I can't believe the game no longer tells you the input commands for the Blitzes. What an oversight

You mean during the Vargas fight?
Otherwise you have to look in the menu (or manual for us superior snes owner :p).

Listening to the vid posted earlier with the gameplay trailer to get a feel of the music quality.
It's not exactly like the SNES version but it's close.
The SFX are garbage, however I try I can't hate the work they did on the music.
IT's actually very good.

OMG the game is visual garbage though.
The spell fire, for example, look like a shitty mangled version of the original.

First time I've used a digital d-pad for a good length of time. It really sucks.

I can live with everything else. This is my third copy of the game. I want to see the GBA content and have something to play on the phone.

Rocky

Banned
Why has no one posted any pics of Celes' new sprites? All I'm seeing is Terra and Locke. Can someone post some screenshots with Celes? Really curious as to how she looks in this version. Thanks.

I really hate the virtual dpad. I can actually live with the visual, they look nice enough on the small galaxy s2 screen. But god damn the control is really annoying. I've been playing back and forth between ps1 ver on vita and android version, I'm tempted to just play on vita even though the menu load time is really really bad.

Why has no one posted any pics of Celes' new sprites? All I'm seeing is Terra and Locke. Can someone post some screenshots with Celes? Really curious as to how she looks in this version. Thanks.

imagesqusdl.png

Should have spent longer on it to improve the joke...but didn't want to spend more time than Square did...

VoidZero

Banned
What were they thinking. I' dissapointed at SE again.
I was watching Elder Speak regarding tactical rpg and this rerelease got a shoutout for how disgusting it is.

Terra_Ex

I'd have loved to have replayed a proper remaster of this on my tablet but this just looks awful. Those sprites literally chopped in half in the magitek suits, that's shameful. They really just don't give a shit anymore do they...

Anyone knows why the opening credits list Yoshinori Kitase and Hiroyuki Itou as directors, but mostly people from Tose as other roles, and no mention of either Hironobu Sakaguchi or Matrix Software and Takashi Tokita? Is it a credits list of the original game, of the iOS remake, or a random mix of everything?

Pyrrhus

Wait, what the fuck.

You don't have Mog in that part of the game.

Moogles have become the cute help system characters they slather all over everything in modern FF to convince you it's the real deal and not a phoned in echo of past glory. That's not Mog, just a random moogle helper character to tell the slow children in the audience where to go next.

WOW, usual bunch of GAF whiners. FF6 is my favorite game of all time, and I find this remake more than acceptable. It feels very fresh. It's good. no regrets here, and i've beat the game about 30 times already.

Its also my favorite game of all time and I can't believe you find this "acceptable"

Outside of some backgrounds and enemy sprites its overall a big letdown much like FFV was.

FF6 deserved so much better and anyone who loved the original should hold it in that regard.

I feel so dirty right now. This port left such a bad taste in my mouth I used the $10 PSN credit from the PS4 to buy FFVI on PSN. I don't want to give Square any of my money, but I really wanted a playable version of FFVI.

I need to go take a cold shower.

Suppose Ill do pros/cons

Pros
- Backgrounds
- Music
- Enemy sprites
- UI is average I guess
- Character portraits are OK i guess
- Extra features like story logs etc..

Cons
- Art all over the place. CLASHING to say the least
- Character sprites are awful, blurry, and appear Stretched/Skinny. Bad proportions
- Typos in the script.... Effing really?

Honestly the lack of care taken with the Art style is the largest offender by far. For such a character driven game it really hurts to see them so out of place in their own game... I actually like clean and visually pleasing HD games but the path they chose with this game actually hurt it for me in a big way.

Even if effort was put into remaking many of the assets they is a clear missing element of cohesion here. Its a very jumbled and messy effort.

hlhbk

I feel so dirty right now. This port left such a bad taste in my mouth I used the $10 PSN credit from the PS4 to buy FFVI on PSN. I don't want to give Square any of my money, but I really wanted a playable version of FFVI.

I need to go take a cold shower.

If you wanted a playable version of FFVI why did you buy the PSN version? The loading makes it unplayable. It's SNES version or bust.

I'd have loved to have replayed a proper remaster of this on my tablet but this just looks awful. Those sprites literally chopped in half in the magitek suits, that's shameful. They really just don't give a shit anymore do they...

Just grab an emulator and play the mountains of awesome fan made remakes out there

I recommend these 3

Pandoras Box
http://slickproductions.org/ff6patch.php?id=Pandoras Box demo 3.1

FF6 Improvement Project
http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?topic=1115.0

FF6 Brave New world
http://www.insanedifficulty.com/index.php/index.html/_/news/brave-new-world-130-released-r110

These are clearly remakes that focus on balancing mechanics, fixing bugs, and updating the script (along with other surprises) but they will give a far superior experience than this half effort from SE

Top Bottom