• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VI Android/iOS impressions thread

kinggroin

Banned
ZTnA3Scl.png

wNxAzF3.png

Doesn't do it for me. I'd rather emulate the SNES version on my phone than play this.

What the fuck is that?!?

I was actually in until your post. Blegh!

Magnus

I don't understand the reactions to Leo. If anything, he's one of the sprite designs that may even look better than the original...?

You guys aren't talking about his portrait art, are ya? Because that looks pretty spot on to the original Amano art.

If you wanted a playable version of FFVI why did you buy the PSN version? The loading makes it unplayable. It's SNES version or bust.

The loading is pretty nasty, but I wasn't about to ebay an SNES cart. The GBA version has nuked audio, so that was out from the start.

The loading is pretty nasty, but I wasn't about to ebay an SNES cart. The GBA version has nuked audio, so that was out from the start.

GBA version has various patches that fix up all these issues if you are using an emulator

More people need to be aware of romhacking.net

Magnus

GBA version has various patches that fix up all these issues if you are using an emulator

More people need to be aware of romhacking.net

I used the sound patch for a bit. It still sounded pretty awful. And they attempted to shoehorn the orchestrated opera audio into the game, which ends up being this dissonant mess. Ambitious, but doesn't work. The port's low res and washed out visuals still kill it for me. I sold it back for a high price.

I used the sound patch for a bit. It still sounded pretty awful. And they attempted to shoehorn the orchestrated opera audio into the game, which ends up being this dissonant mess. Ambitious, but doesn't work. The port's low res and washed out visuals still kill it for me. I sold it back for a high price.

Well I can highly recommend this little project that cleans up the entirety of the original game

http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?topic=1115.0

Make sure to grab the fixed version in the last post or PM me for a link to the SNES patch. Its Very good and preserves the original game while fixing well over 100 bugs

FF6 actually has a very passionate modding community that is somewhat active and cares about the integrity of the original game

Magnus

Well I can highly recommend this little project that cleans up the entirety of the original game

Make sure to grab the fixed version in the last post or PM me for a link to the SNES patch. Its Very good and preserves the original game while fixing well over 100 bugs

FF6 actually has a very passionate modding community that is somewhat active and cares about the integrity of the original game

I love and respect the modding community for work like this. I'll be sure to take a look.

But I still think I'm nabbing this new port, haha.

Arcblast

Neo Member
From GBA emu on PC... x2 screen size with no filter
UtVWqBe.png

And notice how the characters have stronger colour and contrast than the environment. Yet the mobile version is the opposite in this regard - the character sprites are more washed out than the environment...

Does anyone know what the hidden Blitzes are? In the achievements screenshot, they are mentioned separately from Sabin's Blitzes. Is that what Desperation Attacks are called now?
Given the name of the achievement and the icon I would have to guess yes. Which reminds me did desperation attacks ever get an official English name? Well it does have one...I'll explain IIRC that name came from Japanese guides. FFVII also had desperation attacks, they were called Limit Breaks (if I got that wrong, I read about it years ago). Not sure which is worse; limit break (implies it does more), hidden blitz (implies it is input based rather than random).

Even in the original game Mog showed up to break the fourth wall and give tutorials.
Didn't the Kappa also show up? I guess it doesn't enough like Omachao or Navi to be the tips person though...

Goli

UtVWqBe.png

And notice how the characters have stronger colour and contrast than the environment. Yet the mobile version is the opposite in this regard - the character sprites are more washed out than the environment...

I never noticed until now but there are a lot of tiling issues there as well.

http://i.imgur.com/UtVWqBe.png

Also the perspective of the sprites is wrong in the remake:

VnmnxWU.jpg

Notice how in the original both feet are visible and are not vertically aligned, which makes it seem like the sprite is seen from overhead (roughly) like the background map, whereas in the remake only one foot is visible, making it seem like the sprite is seen completely from the side.

vareon

VnmnxWU.jpg

Notice how in the original both feet are visible and are not vertically aligned, which makes it seem like the sprite is seen from overhead (roughly) like the background map, whereas in the remake only one foot is visible, making it seem like the sprite is seen completely from the side.

This is pretty unacceptable. Surely someone over there noticed this? This is pretty basic art direction that it's impossible none of the team noticed it, unless everyone thought this was "good enough".

Nothing in this mortal plane could get me to plug a Wii in.

That's certainly a reasonable stance to take.

VnmnxWU.jpg

The more I look at this the more I hate it. Maybe I'll skip out after all.

Arcblast

Neo Member
I never noticed until now but there are a lot of tiling issues there as well.

Yeah, tiling... but that still doesn't bother me as much as the new character sprites though.

VnmnxWU.jpg

Oh wow, didn't see that. SE totally cheaped out with this remake, huh. I was originally hoping they would port this to the vita, but consider the quality... probably not anymore.

heringer

Ok, I have to be honest guys. I think I regret my purchase.

A few things to know about me first:

1) I actually enjoyed the FFV iOS remake and think it looks much better than the original.
2) If you look the other thread you will see a couple posts of mine claiming I think FFVI iOS is an improvement visually (I even took a few screenshots to compare). I'll gladly eat crow.
3) Before yesterday I had no previous experience with FFVI whatsoever past the very beginning of the game, so no nostalgia googles here.
4) I game on iOS / Android a lot and I do think a lot of games get undeserved hate just for being mobile.

Now that I played the game for a few hours, I think the original indeed does look better after what I played of the SNES version emulated on my phone.

Here's my problems with this remake:

1) Some parts aren't redone at all, but simply upscaled versions of the original art. It looks very out of place when you change from a new background to an old one upscaled. I suspect they did this because they thought the original art could still hold up (they didn't do it with FFV because the game is way too aged). It gives a cheap feel.
2) The UI is inferior to FFV's. This is a very personal matter, but I enjoyed FFV's UI very much, not so much in FFVI.
3) The new enemy sprites in FFV looked GORGEOUS and did a lot to me. In FFVI they just don't look very good and I suspect they too are simply upscaled versions of the original. Or maybe they tried to stick closer to the original sprites. Whatever the case is, it doesn't look as good as in FFV.
4) The artstyle fits FFV better. See, after playing the SNES version of FFVI, I think the world and atmosphere are supposed to be a little on the gritty side. You completely loses that in the remake, because the art is too cartoony / colorful. Again, it works in FFV, not so much in FFVI.

I was enjoying the game regardless. I LOVE the character portraits (much much better than the original), I like the Album thing, I like the battle backgrounds, I like playing battles with touchscreen, but I'll probably find a way to play the SNES version. It justs looks a lot more cohesive and there's some charm to the original sprites and animations that the iOS version couldn't match. So yeah, a little sad that I flushed $17 down the toilet, but what is done is done. At least it helped to get to know the game enough to complete it.

All that said, I understand if some people prefer this version. This is very subjective after all, but if even someone without nostalgia like me can think the original version looks better, I get that some longtime fans might be offended with this remake.

I'm sure it's still better than the PSX version (if the loadings are as unbearable as in Chrono Trigger), and I wasn't in love with the look (and sound) of the GBA version either.

I also would like to rage on the internet a little because I accidentally stumbled upon a probably big spoiler
Celes suicide... how far into the game does that happen?
. Fuck people putting spoilers on the titles of Youtube videos.

ZTnA3Scl.png

wNxAzF3.png

Doesn't do it for me. I'd rather emulate the SNES version on my phone than play this.

I agree. That map screen on the remake looks like three different art styles mashed together. It looks cheap and hacked together. Not only are those errors like on the columns, but the perspective on the columns constantly change as you go up them. They look really bad and distracting.

Goli

Ok, I have to be honest guys. I think I regret my purchase.

A few couple of things to know about me first:

1) I actually enjoyed the FFV iOS remake and think it looks much better than the original.
2) If you look the other thread you will see a few posts of mine claiming I think FFVI iOS is an improvement visually (I even took a few screenshots to compare). I'll gladly eat crow.
3) Before yesterday I had no previous experience with FFVI whatsoever past the very beginning of the game, so no nostalgia googles here.
4) I game on iOS / Android a lot and I do think a lot of games get undeserved hate just for being mobile.

Now that I played the game for a few hours, I think the original indeed does look better after what I played of the SNES version emulated on my phone.

Here's my problems with this remake:

1) Some parts aren't redone at all, but simply upscaled versions of the original art. It looks very out of place when you change from a new background to an old one upscaled. I suspect they did this because they thought the original art could still hold up (they didn't do it with FFV because the game is way too aged). It gives a cheap feel.
2) The UI is inferior to FFV's. This is a very personal matter, but I enjoyed FFV's UI very much, not so much in FFVI.
3) The new enemy sprites in FFV looked GORGEOUS and did a lot to me. In FFVI they just don't look very good and I suspect they too are simply upscaled versions of the original. Or maybe they tried to stick closer to the original sprites. Whatever the case is, it doesn't look as good as in FFV.
4) The artstyle fits FFV better. See, after playing the SNES version of FFVI, I think the world and atmosphere are supposed to be a little on the gritty side. You completely loses that in the remake, because the art is too cartoony / colorful. Again, it works in FFV, not so much in FFVI.

I was enjoying the game regardless. I LOVE the character portraits (much much better than the original), I like the Album thing, I like the battle backgrounds, I like playing battles with touchscreen, but I'll probably find a way to play the SNES version. It justs looks a lot more cohesive and there's some charm to the original sprites and animations that the iOS version couldn't match. So yeah, a little sad that I flushed $17 down the toilet, but what is done is done. At least it helped to get to know the game enough to complete it.

All that said, I understand if some people prefer this version. This is very subjective after all, but if even someone without nostalgia like me can think the original version looks better, I get that some longtime fans might be offended with this remake.

I'm sure it's still better than the PSX version (if the loadings are as unbearable as in Chrono Trigger), and I wasn't in love with the look (and sound) of the GBA version either.

I also would like to rage on the internet a little because I accidentally stumbled upon a probably big spoiler
Celes suicide... how far into the game does that happen?
. Fuck people putting spoilers on the titles of Youtube videos.
She doesn't really die.
Thanks for your impressions by the way!

fertygo

Try to get this work for 2 hour, just in first battle the game already unplayable.

I stick with the GBA Version, despite how I hate the washed out color.. and for this phone port, yeah the sprite only looked passable in that magitek battle.

Luigi87

I'm essentially recanting my previous post after seeing the more direct comparisons between the original sprites, and these new ones.
Squenix completely missed the point.

Vorg

Banned
While I agree the game has some graphical issues like the mismatched tiling, I think a lot of you are overreacting. I know this game is considered some kind of masterpiece by a lot of people but come on. It's still the same game with a slightly different art style. They did not change anything important.

Booter

It's still the same game with a slightly different art style.

It's not a slightly different style, it's several styles together at the same time. They clash. Also, some of the styles look totally awful, for example the part in the beginning where Terra is floating above the mech.

They did not change anything important.

Are you trolling?

It's in my top 5, and my glasses can't rose-tint for it. From what I hear it's a pretty good job for a mobile game, but I'm just sort of done trying to get new feels from games I've played before.

Also, I gotta wonder what the mine-cart scene out of
the Esper facility in Vector
looks like. That was just a hot mess IIRC.

Try to get this work for 2 hour, just in first battle the game already unplayable.

I stick with the GBA Version, despite how I hate the washed out color.. and for this phone port, yeah the sprite only looked passable in that magitek battle.

You need a clean dump of the 1.0 version of the original game.

You also need the fixed version 1.07 version of the patch in the last post of the thread. I can share my dropbox link of the patch as long as im not breaking any rules by doing so

tbm24

While I agree the game has some graphical issues like the mismatched tiling, I think a lot of you are overreacting. I know this game is considered some kind of masterpiece by a lot of people but come on. It's still the same game with a slightly different art style. They did not change anything important.
I can easily see why many can be bothered or offended by the look of this version. I'm just personally not bothered by it and see charm in the way the sprites are done(not to say everything redone looks better to me or anything. I'm partial to the original but it was one of my first SNES games as a kid. I still have the box.) As a means to play this game on the go, it's great. Functionally I can't think of anything wrong or worse. It's also kind of a trip to replay the game with different/new looks. I appreciate that part of this whole experience a lot. Whenever I want to play the original I own just about every version aside the wonderswan.

tbm24

Not to mention the weird straight stance the characters take on.

They also looking tall streched and skinny

Ugh such an awful job on the character sprites
I haven't noticed it much in this game, but I loved that about the new sprites in V. They were tall, upright, and Butz had his chest sticking out. Have him a lot more character than the old(and imo ugly) sprites.

I haven't noticed it much in this game, but I loved that about the new sprites in V. They were tall, upright, and Butz had his chest sticking out. Have him a lot more character than the old(and imo ugly) sprites.

Bleh

They are pretty awful in my eyes. Guess I have some nostalgia glasses but I would have prefered the updated spritework seen in the psp remakes to this

Or a different style altogether. As it is now everything seems mismatched, misproportioned, and messy

smuf

This looks like something straight out of RPG maker. Why would they even bother redoing the graphics if they're just going to half ass it?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
How in the hell did this come to Android first? When does that ever happen?

studyguy

Sidestepping the talk about the visual, I honestly think they're alright on the small screen of a cellphone...
guess I'm killing videogames.

A lot of the visual effects look like they've had quite an overhaul... or at least from what I remember it. Now that I'm using more skills with an expanded party, the skill/spell menu seems to work well. Honestly I've tried out the autobattle a few times in dungeons, beats hitting attack over and over, though you still have to heal your party so you can't let it roll (least I haven't seen it heal). Overall... it's FFVI, forgot how great the game was. Also reading through this thread now after my morning coffee and for an impression thread, I get the feeling like only 3 of us here are even playing it.

akaoni

Banned
Holy shit, what the hell? It's like they took the map of Figaro Castle and shunk it down instead of assing themselves to do an actual sprite:

The castle actually resembles the castle now, which is a good thing. It looks like a 3D model of it from the image, it's not just copy and pasta'd, those side walls didn't appear by themselves.

tbm24

Bleh

They are pretty awful in my eyes. Guess I have some nostalgia glasses but I would have prefered the updated spritework seen in the psp remakes to this

Or a different style altogether. As it is now everything seems mismatched, misproportioned, and messy
I would have preferred a different style(not the style of those pap remakes mind you) as well. But they grew on me pretty quickly. Faris easily the best sprite.

i always do find it funny when fans get enraged about these ff mobile ports, i guess mainly because i never really was that impressed with how they looked originally on snes besides monster artwork. ff6 was the best looking one by far, but its still not really something i'd point to for one of the better looking snes games. chrono trigger star ocean phantasia looked way better tbh.

i always do find it funny when fans get enraged about these ff mobile ports, i guess mainly because i never really was that impressed with how they looked originally on snes besides monster artwork. ff6 was the best looking one by far, but its still not really something i'd point to for one of the better looking snes games. chrono trigger star ocean phantasia looked way better tbh.

True, but when they even half ass the sprite perspective, there's not much simpathy to be had with them.

And really, why couldn't they add more detail to the sprites?

Top Bottom