• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VI Android/iOS impressions thread

Its just sad that they consider mobile the future yet that future entails putting in minmal effort and quality for maximum profit.

If only some of you could have been there to play these games when the first came out... quality was through the roof and 6 shined despite being buggy as hell.

Even when games were rushed and sloppy back the they still had a soul

tbm24

Its just sad that they consider mobile the future yet that future entails putting in minmal effort and quality for maximum profit.

If only some of you could have been there to play these games when the first came out... quality was through the roof and 6 shined despite being buggy as hell.

Well, if it's any form of consolation, SE seems have put a lot of focus and attention towards Lightning Returns. It looks/plays great and very fresh in execution and ideas.

So if their remakes aren't that spectacular I'm not too bothered.

Goli

It's not like all of their games are like that. Most of their other games have a lot of effort put into them, and even then, these games also have effort put into them as well, only the outcome isn't pleasing for a lot of people (but it is for others).
Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it has little effort put into it.

I really wish more people would post their impressions instead and keep the bitching to the other thread ):. I would post mine but I'm a filthy iOS user and thus haven't played it.

It's not like all of their games are like that. Most of their other games have a lot of effort put into them, and even then, these games also have effort put into them as well, only the outcome isn't pleasing for a lot of people (but it is for others).
Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it has little effort put into it.

I really wish more people would post their impressions instead and keep the bitching to the other thread ):. I would post mine but I'm a filthy iOS user and thus haven't played it.

It bums me out since mobile has plenty of power and potential to deliver so much more than what we have been given.

I though it would be an excellent fit for turn based rpgs but I have yet to see a commitment of quality that rivals anything we saw from the 16bit era

3) The new enemy sprites in FFV looked GORGEOUS and did a lot to me.

Because for the most part they're lifted from the beautiful FFI, II and IV PSP ports. FFVI's enemies are much more unique however, and so need to be done from the ground up; most likely there wasn't enough of a budget to remake them all in the PSP style.

Goli

Because for the most part they're lifted from the beautiful FFI, II and IV PSP ports. FFVI's enemies are much more unique however, and so need to be done from the ground up; most likely there wasn't enough of a budget to remake them all in the PSP style.

They weren't lifted from the PSP ports.

Z3M0G

Also the perspective of the sprites is wrong in the remake:

VnmnxWU.jpg

Notice how in the original both feet are visible and are not vertically aligned, which makes it seem like the sprite is seen from overhead (roughly) like the background map, whereas in the remake only one foot is visible, making it seem like the sprite is seen completely from the side.

Ok, this may be what bugs me the most, and may be the final nail to convince myself NEVER to touch this...

Character Sprites, background art, enemy sprites and UI are all completely different levels of talent... all seem to be outsourced to 4 different groups... or 4 different individuals, I should say.

You have to wonder that, when yourself admit that they are using battle sprites for both battles and world navigation ending on perspective clashes and that they're based on FF V iOS/Android sprites.

Or when it seems that enemy sprites are filtered from the original release.

If you mean effort in the sense "this is not a (simple) port", you're certainly correct (and for that price the contrary would have been insulting, even more...). But is certainly clear that the effort and resources dedicated didn't resulted on a cohesive visual experience and there are several aspects that almost looks unprofessional.

They clearly didn't put enough time/effort (or money, maybe Matrix had to work with a very restrained budget/time) to make the original justice. FF VI on SNES was one of the most beautiful game on the system, the same can't be said about this one.

If this is enough for people, I'm glad for them. But either way the effort necessary to bring a full 2D remake on VI wasn't clearly put in this case.

heringer

No they are not.

Sciz

Anyone knows why the opening credits list Yoshinori Kitase and Hiroyuki Itou as directors, but mostly people from Tose as other roles, and no mention of either Hironobu Sakaguchi or Matrix Software and Takashi Tokita? Is it a credits list of the original game, of the iOS remake, or a random mix of everything?

It's almost certainly a straight port of the GBA code, which was handled by Tose. Presumably they didn't or couldn't update the credits for whatever reason.

I'll settle for the iOS version of my favourite game of all time but I really think S-E is just leaving so much money on the table by neglecting PSN/XBLA releases of these games.

(They even have the trophies/achievements already, I hope it's a sign.)

Square Enix throwing away an opportunity to make bank? Unheard of!

This talk of dimensions reminds me. I checked the original pre-smartphone version. The characters there have one foot in side-view but otherwise look like a slightly lower palette FFV.

I had always assumed they were mods of FF SNES sprites like the FF After Years were (e.g. Cecil is clearly Edgar and Porom is clearly Terra or am I misremembering).

The artists/designers responsible for Dimensions, FFV, and this crap need to be fired

It's the same artist responsible for all the FF sprites(even the ORIGINAL FFVI sprites). Oddly enough, look at that picture comparing both Locke sprites. Done by the SAME person. One actually has depth(original Locke is at an angle, his arms are bent and he looks well proportioned to his frame, not to mention his angle fits giving an illusion that there is depth on the field) the other is like a straight light(lacking depth, his arm has no curve, but it straight, and his chest/belly looks all sorts of wrong). Again, this is the SAME sprite artist. I think we have come to the conclusion, she's kinda out of the game.

It's the same artist responsible for all the FF sprites(even the ORIGINAL FFVI sprites). Oddly enough, look at that picture comparing both Locke sprites. Done by the SAME person. One actually has depth(original Locke is at an angle, his arms are bent and he looks well proportioned to his frame, not to mention his angle fits giving an illusion that there is depth on the field) the other is like a straight light(lacking depth, his arm has no curve, but it straight, and his chest/belly looks all sorts of wrong). Again, this is the SAME sprite artist. I think we have come to the conclusion, she's kinda out of the game.

Did she just... give up?

Its like they handed her MS Paint and gave her one week to redraw everything

Ouroboros

Or she had 5 minutes to do ALL THE SPRITES.

Actually, unlike with the earliest FFs, Shibuya wasn't all alone on FFVI. The three other people credited as "graphic directors" were Tetsuya Takahashi, Hideo Minaba, and Tetsuya Nomura. It was almost a dream of team of Square artists.

Actually, unlike with the earliest FFs, Shibuya wasn't all alone on FFVI. The three other people credited as "graphic directors" were Tetsuya Takahashi, Hideo Minaba, and Tetsuya Nomura. It was almost a dream of team of Square artists.
Now it makes sense. Pretty sad, though. I guess that also means the whole defense of, "She's the original sprite artist, she knows best because she did the ORIGINAL!" is worth jackshit now, huh?

Though, don't get me wrong, her more pixelated sprites(did she do the sprites for FFXIII's website?) looked great for a while. And I don't completely blame her(only for the sprites). Some of those backgrounds look iffy, and she probably didn't do THOSE. Hell, I would've been up for a good 2D remake with crisp graphics(up to par with the PSP versions, that's for damn sure). If that meant putting this sucker back into the oven to be cooked fully, so be it. FFVI is deserving of THAT.

Dissidia_Terra.png

Should have built off of the Dissidia assets

I actually liked them a lot
3D remake should employee Nomura as character designer and have character art in this style. I've said this before, I wouldn't ask for a FFXV level looking remake(I still believe it can be done if more time was spent on world building rather than rendering the most realistic looking grains of sand in a desert).

ctothej

Ugh, this looks SO terrible. What did they do to one of my favorite FF games? :( I hateeee how the characters look. Also wtf @ "Espiers"...? Please tell me that is a typo and they didn't change the entire word for the whole game.

It's a typo... Not sure if that's better or worse.

Now it makes sense. Pretty sad, though. I guess that also means the whole defense of, "She's the original sprite artist, she knows best because she did the ORIGINAL!" is worth jackshit now, huh?

Though, don't get me wrong, her more pixelated sprites(did she do the sprites for FFXIII's website?) looked great for a while. And I don't completely blame her(only for the sprites). Some of those backgrounds look iffy, and she probably didn't do THOSE. Hell, I would've been up for a good 2D remake with crisp graphics(up to par with the PSP versions, that's for damn sure). If that meant putting this sucker back into the oven to be cooked fully, so be it. FFVI is deserving of THAT.

3D remake should employee Nomura as character designer and have character art in this style. I've said this before, I wouldn't ask for a FFXV level looking remake(I still believe it can be done if more time was spent on world building rather than rendering the most realistic looking grains of sand in a desert).

I mean

I didn't really love Dissidia... But DAYUM did it do some cool stuff art wise

Terrad012closeup.png

In defense of new backgrounds and all. We've all seen the infamous meteor tile problems in FFV, but the actual towns do not look bad at all imo. Maybe it's the same with VI...maybe...

FFV_iOS_Tule_Full.png

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I'm not too fond of how some of the in-game character graphics look. The best word I could describe is 'generic' like they were made using RPG Maker.

You mean during the Vargas fight?
Otherwise you have to look in the menu (or manual for us superior snes owner :p).

Listening to the vid posted earlier with the gameplay trailer to get a feel of the music quality.
It's not exactly like the SNES version but it's close.
The SFX are garbage, however I try I can't hate the work they did on the music.
IT's actually very good.

OMG the game is visual garbage though.
The spell fire, for example, look like a shitty mangled version of the original.

Yeah, I noticed Fire looked pretty bad too. But yeah, I can't help but appreciate how great a job they did on the music. At least something about this port isn't awful!

heringer

So I downloaded FFV iOS again to see if I was crazy, and I wasn't. FFVI is definitely a step back.

Just look at this video of a FFV battle and compare magic like fire and other effects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAfn7GJLogk

It's shiny new stuff while in FFVI is just old effects upscaled. Very disappointing and surprising that they would do that with one of their most cherished entries.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Why has no one posted any pics of Celes' new sprites? All I'm seeing is Terra and Locke. Can someone post some screenshots with Celes? Really curious as to how she looks in this version. Thanks.

I just got to Locke's quest, and I grabbed these just for you.

Her intro screen:

And the bit where the soldier no longer hits her, but instead goes for a high five and is left hanging before storming off in a huff:

Let's get down to brass tacks, everyone.

Describe the iOS/Android port in one word. Lazy.
Describe the iOS/Android port in two words. Lazy cash-in.
Describe SE's attitude toward fans of Final Fantasy VI and Final Fantasy IX in one gesture. A raised middle finger.
Who should buy the iOS/Android port? No one. Absolutely no one.
Which versions of FFVI are better than the iOS/Android port? EVERY other version. Yes, even the PS1 version.
What is the mental state of those who claim the iOS/Android port is a good port? Do you even have to ask?

Valus

Has anyone posted Cyan yet? I'm really curious if they gave his sprite a mustache. In the original I always felt his portrait looked weird while his sprite looked epic.

Describe SE's attitude toward fans of Final Fantasy VI and Final Fantasy IX in one gesture. A raised middle finger.
Which versions of FFVI are better than the iOS/Android port? EVERY other version. Yes, even the PS1 version.
What is the mental state of those who claim the iOS/Android port is a good port? Do you even have to ask?

such hatred lol. Would still probably play this over the psx (loading) and gba (shitty sound). but those are my peeves.

ss_lemonade

I don't see it as lazy because they redid the graphics but God why did it turn out like this and why is it ok for them that it turned out like this??

ixix

Has anyone posted Cyan yet? I'm really curious if they gave his sprite a mustache. In the original I always felt his portrait looked weird while his sprite looked epic.

This imgur album posted earlier in the thread has some shots of him.

He's got a mustache and his armor is now brown.

Valus

He was useful. But now he's no longer a chore.

I remember in the original when you have to fight
Kefka at Narshe.
Fill Team 1 & 2 up with w/e, put Cyan, Sabin, & Edgar on team three and just wreck shop with Bio Blaster, Fire Dance, and level 4 SWDTECH.

I felt like such a man.

I mean

I didn't really love Dissidia... But DAYUM did it do some cool stuff art wise

Terrad012closeup.png
Yup. The collab between Amano and Nomura's art really makes those characters look like magic. Out of all the "mediums" to channel Amano's style into more workable designs, like Akira Ogura and who ever did the designs for FFOrigins FFI CG movies:

Cecil_FF4DS_CG_Art.png

art-008.jpg

I think Nomura's comes the closes to replicating Amano's look, near flawlessly:

DissidiaCecilArt.png

Dissidia_Warrior_of_Light.png

A REAL FF game doing this(Amano doing the designs, Nomura translating), even a 3D remake of FFVI(or FFV) would be a match made in HEAVEN!

ixix

but holy shit, the revamped atb ui makes cyan actually useful!

It's pretty glorious, really. I was sorta hoping that auto-battle would skip the charge time for his Bushido skills like it skips inputs for Blitzes, but no such luck.

It's still a big improvement.

He was useful. But now he's no longer a chore.

He was useful in the sense that in a game as easy as FF6 every character is useful, but it's pretty hard to rationally justify him as being better than any other character in the game save Umaro.

Speaking of which, there is no longer a separate equip screen for Relics. They're just lumped in with the main equipment menu. Which means that to change Umaro's relics they have to let you into his full equipment screen. Which means that if Umaro can still equip the Merit Award in this version...

I'm trying not to get my hopes up. But what if the sasquatch is actually useful in this version?

KaiPow

Banned
I have two-ish hours to kill while I'm waiting for my fiancé to finish up a meeting. If Square-Enix wants my money, they'll release it on iOS right now. Otherwise, I'm going to just play puzzles and dragons.

Top Bottom