• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS preview update(videos and stuff)

MisterTHQ

THQ Member
We will be meeting up with Joe Mad tomorrow at the Darksiders UK Event, so if anyone has any questions they want us to ask him send a message to @THQInsider on Twitter! :D

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Yazuka said:
Yeah, might not be the best looking box art. But I like it.
Don't think I've seen the old box art.

28s19v.jpg

I don't understand why they changed it. Old box art was clearly better.

batbeg

MisterTHQ said:
Check out this developer walkthrough with Creative director, Luis Gigliotti on GameAxis.

Haha, Luis seems pretty... excitable. Kind of dislike the brief mention of a multiplayer portion to a potential sequel, as it's something we see far too much of this generation, but at least they're excited about the franchise.

Ryu

January 5th really can't come soon enough. Put me in with the group of people who thought the original boxart was better though.

FoxSpirit

Yeah, original was better. I think I know where they wanted to come from with the new coloring but it didn't go that well.

ZealousD

FoxSpirit said:
Yeah, original was better. I think I know where they wanted to come from with the new coloring but it didn't go that well.

Unless they're planning on using an embossed paper sleeve than it simply isn't going to stand out with that scheme. Yellow already seems kinda off since it's not a major color in the game, but the plain gray background is the biggest offender.

John

MisterTHQ said:
Check out this developer walkthrough with Creative director, Luis Gigliotti on GameAxis.
Gotta say, this has dimmed my enthusiasm for the game a bit. They just outright told us that the game will send us on fetch quests and would reuse boss battles.

Media blackout starts now. For real this time.

MisterTHQ said:

I was really excited for the game until I saw this, I have to be honest, I doubt I'll buy it now.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
This looks good to me, I hope it turns out great. Barring unanimous horrendous reviews, I'll be there day 1...

ZealousD

John said:
Gotta say, this has dimmed my enthusiasm for the game a bit. They just outright told us that the game will send us on fetch quests and would reuse boss battles.

That's not what he's referring to. He's talking about going back to previous levels to collect items and such that you couldn't gain access to before, ala Metroid.

John

ZealousD said:
That's not what he's referring to. He's talking about going back to previous levels to collect items and such that you couldn't gain access to before, ala Metroid.
I was talking about the part where the NPC tells you to bring him 400 souls.

batbeg

I'm kind of tired (been up for 27 hours so far @.@), but I'll try to throw in some impressions and stuff from this fun event. Bear in mind on points 3&4 I'm not much of a technical buff, and things like framerates don't stick out to me.

1. Joe was playing with a skin on War; it reminded me more of the original artwork, lots of gray ridges, not sure if that's what it was. I noted that the skins do not carry into the cutscenes, which is disappointing. Also no idea if it was unlockable or tied to a certain retailer or DLC.
2. Saw the Gamestop exclusive weapon - nothing too exciting.
3. Both versions seemed to have slight framerate hiccups, but they seemed infrequent and pretty smoothed out to me.
4. The PS3 version was almost certainly worse looking. I don't know what it was; even the cutscenes seemed very... grainy? And I swear even the animations looked clumsier, but maybe that was just me. I still found it to look excellent, personally.
5. In regards to the last points: I watched Joe play the 360 version, I played the first level on the PS3, then I played the next two levels on the 360.
6. This game is going to be fucking awesome.

Impressions:
The game has proven more of a challenge than I'd expected it. I was dying quite frequently in the second and third demos (the third one, I was told, was quite early on in the game). I'm very happy with the challenge, although some of it seemed to derive from excessively high HP on enemies. There are difficulty levels though, I think, if you don't enjoy that.

The dungeon in the third demo was fantastic. The design itself wasn't particularly noteworthy; there was a lot of running down a corridor for something, turning around, and going back. But there were loads of puzzles, and even boss and mini-boss fights prove to be a puzzle. It was large, too. I ended up spending probably 2 hours in that dungeon :lol

The art is fantastic. Despite the over-the-top epic scale of everything it has very vibrant, rich colors. The environments vary from sparse and empty to pretty good looking, so far as I've seen. It never seems like it detracts from anything even in the emptier spots, though.

There is a shitload to do. Loads to collect, loads of weapons or methods of attack, loads of upgrades. They said it averages at about 25-30 hours and while I'm sure the rule of exaggeration always applies... I'm almost willing to believe them, based on the great dungeon I explored and the incredible amount of content.

The voices are fantastic. But you should already know that.

Principal complaints I had (besides the ocassional odd bug):
+ Lots of things are meant to be interacted with in the environment, but don't stick out at all, which led me and others to sometimes wandering lost until noticing it. Perhaps the eye will be accustomed to these things as the gameplay continues, but I wasn't so sure.
+ Controls are slightly "off". I and the guy next to me seemed to die a lot by falling lava, because we ended up walking into it instead of jumping. It can be accustomed to, but shouldn't have to be.
+ Too easily swarmed. In the second demo especially, enemies were crawling up the cliffside behind you whilst you were meant to be wielding a gun which makes turning around very impractical.

On the whole... I fucking loved it. Definitely lives up to my expectation of a God of Zelda game. My time with the game has confirmed the day one purchase. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find out if it has NG+.

John said:

That's in the very first level; it basically serves to make sure you do a few other specific things so you learn how to dash, guard, etc. while showing you that you can exchange souls for upgrades from that demon/angel/thing/guy. I saw no sign of fetch quests in the other two demos.

Can not wait!! I have been following Joe MAD for years. After he left battlechasers I would find info on the games he was working on, but they never came about. Finally one is goin to come out and theres gotta be support!

ZealousD

John said:

Souls are the game's currency, and you get them when you kill enemies. It's like the demon blood in DMC or red orbs in God of War.

ZealousD

Aaaaawwwww snap! In addition to the Harvester pre-order bonus, they're also tossing in a 100 page book.

Reserve Darksiders and receive the GameStop exclusive Guide to the Underworld, 100 page book featuring:
Graphic Novel - Prequel based upon Joe Madureira’s epic vision of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.
Concept Art - Exclusive in-depth look at the creation of the epic Darksiders.
Exclusive Fold Out Poster - Original concept art created by Joe Madureira.
Weapons Feature - Master the weapons of Darksiders with this exclusive guide
The Harvester - Code to unlock GameStop exclusive in-game weapon

GameStop exclusive.

batbeg

Great interview :) I just realized from the wording on that gamespot thing and the interview, I guess Joe didn't do the comic prequel. That kind of sucks. Oh well!

ZealousD

batbeg

I wish more people were interested in this :( It's a Zelda-like game, dammit, there's too few of those out there! And Vigil sound extremely excited about working on a sequel, so if it bombs I'll have to hate GAF forever.

Bresson

Neo Member
I despise the char art but otherwise the games looks quite fun. I'll buy this unless the reviews are really bad.

MisterTHQ

THQ Member
batbeg said:
I'm kind of tired (been up for 27 hours so far @.@), but I'll try to throw in some impressions and stuff from this fun event. Bear in mind on points 3&4 I'm not much of a technical buff, and things like framerates don't stick out to me.

1. Joe was playing with a skin on War; it reminded me more of the original artwork, lots of gray ridges, not sure if that's what it was. I noted that the skins do not carry into the cutscenes, which is disappointing. Also no idea if it was unlockable or tied to a certain retailer or DLC.
2. Saw the Gamestop exclusive weapon - nothing too exciting.
3. Both versions seemed to have slight framerate hiccups, but they seemed infrequent and pretty smoothed out to me.
4. The PS3 version was almost certainly worse looking. I don't know what it was; even the cutscenes seemed very... grainy? And I swear even the animations looked clumsier, but maybe that was just me. I still found it to look excellent, personally.
5. In regards to the last points: I watched Joe play the 360 version, I played the first level on the PS3, then I played the next two levels on the 360.
6. This game is going to be fucking awesome.

Impressions:
The game has proven more of a challenge than I'd expected it. I was dying quite frequently in the second and third demos (the third one, I was told, was quite early on in the game). I'm very happy with the challenge, although some of it seemed to derive from excessively high HP on enemies. There are difficulty levels though, I think, if you don't enjoy that.

The dungeon in the third demo was fantastic. The design itself wasn't particularly noteworthy; there was a lot of running down a corridor for something, turning around, and going back. But there were loads of puzzles, and even boss and mini-boss fights prove to be a puzzle. It was large, too. I ended up spending probably 2 hours in that dungeon :lol

The art is fantastic. Despite the over-the-top epic scale of everything it has very vibrant, rich colors. The environments vary from sparse and empty to pretty good looking, so far as I've seen. It never seems like it detracts from anything even in the emptier spots, though.

There is a shitload to do. Loads to collect, loads of weapons or methods of attack, loads of upgrades. They said it averages at about 25-30 hours and while I'm sure the rule of exaggeration always applies... I'm almost willing to believe them, based on the great dungeon I explored and the incredible amount of content.

The voices are fantastic. But you should already know that.

Principal complaints I had (besides the ocassional odd bug):
+ Lots of things are meant to be interacted with in the environment, but don't stick out at all, which led me and others to sometimes wandering lost until noticing it. Perhaps the eye will be accustomed to these things as the gameplay continues, but I wasn't so sure.
+ Controls are slightly "off". I and the guy next to me seemed to die a lot by falling lava, because we ended up walking into it instead of jumping. It can be accustomed to, but shouldn't have to be.
+ Too easily swarmed. In the second demo especially, enemies were crawling up the cliffside behind you whilst you were meant to be wielding a gun which makes turning around very impractical.

On the whole... I fucking loved it. Definitely lives up to my expectation of a God of Zelda game. My time with the game has confirmed the day one purchase. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find out if it has NG+.

That's in the very first level; it basically serves to make sure you do a few other specific things so you learn how to dash, guard, etc. while showing you that you can exchange souls for upgrades from that demon/angel/thing/guy. I saw no sign of fetch quests in the other two demos.

Thanks again for coming to the event batbeg! :D

We've put some photos up of the event on Flickr...maybe you're in one of them!

There's also a nice article up on Gamespot about the event :)

MisterTHQ

THQ Member
FoxSpirit said:
This link goes to the "World of Zoo" TV ad.

The link seems fine to me, I have also had someone else in the office check it! Maybe there was a glitch at the time but it should now be working fine :)

Dead

well not really...yet
Would be awesome if this actually turns out great :)

Pre-order cemented with the 100 page book incentive

batbeg said:
I wish more people were interested in this :( It's a Zelda-like game, dammit, there's too few of those out there! And Vigil sound extremely excited about working on a sequel, so if it bombs I'll have to hate GAF forever.
Are there any Towns or Villages in the game?

batbeg

Dead said:
Are there any Towns or Villages in the game?

Sincerely doubt it - all of humanity is dead, after all. You buy stuff from a demon who shows up around levels, and I guess there's the odd few interactions with demons, but nothing I've seen suggests any gathering.

I don't really think towns or villages personify a Zelda game if that was your point though o_O Playing this, I really couldn't help but feel I was playing a Zelda game; the menus, the weapons, the puzzles, the dungeons... twas joyous :)

Dead

well not really...yet
batbeg said:
Sincerely doubt it - all of humanity is dead, after all. You buy stuff from a demon who shows up around levels, and I guess there's the odd few interactions with demons, but nothing I've seen suggests any gathering.

I don't really think towns or villages personify a Zelda game if that was your point though o_O Playing this, I really couldn't help but feel I was playing a Zelda game; the menus, the weapons, the puzzles, the dungeons... twas joyous :)
Ah, I see.

Still, sounds great.

Ryu

Game sounds awesome. I especially loved the IGN Video preview. Really showed off just how fast and frantic the gameplay is/can be. Is there going to be shots of the Gamestop pre-order bonus soon?

ZealousD

banKai said:
Is this an old packshot then? I just found it on the German THQ press server (warning: ~ 1MB):

That's the real official boxart.

I'm not sure that THQ has fully gotten the message yet that everybody prefers the old boxart. =P

FoxSpirit

MisterTHQ said:
The link seems fine to me, I have also had someone else in the office check it! Maybe there was a glitch at the time but it should now be working fine :)

Oh, just noted I had NoScript block an seemingly important script so it didn't switch to the video ^.^;;

And yeah, again, old pack-art is so much better.

Btw, will you bring this over to the PC eventually? I feel already ripped by not getting to see Brütal Legend in full splendor (or rather, in 10 years on emulation), would be awesome if this one would come over eventually. If you do it 6 months later I'll double dip :p

luffeN

ZealousD said:
That's the real official boxart.

I'm not sure that THQ has fully gotten the message yet that everybody prefers the old boxart. =P
interesting. I kinda prefer the new one compared to the colorful old one

Kajiba

That IGN preview was great. Definitely getting this game now.

I remember seeing this game way back when the character had a different design though and sadly forgot about it. Didn't even think the two games were related until I saw some images couple of pages back. It definitely polished its self up since the last time I saw it.

Hopefully people start getting hype for this game when the release gets closer.

ZealousD

It was a bit hidden, but there's actually a one-page preview of the graphic novel preorder bonus on the GameStop website.

DarksidersGS_bonusLG1.jpg

Top Bottom