• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa coming to consoles in 2016

Mascot

Man, I so want this to be great on consoles. I'm finding that I can't find the enthusiasm to play pCARS any more. Ever since support was halted I'm finding it harder and harder to forgive it's many shortcomings and not get annoyed by the many bugs and niggles. It was OK when I knew they were being worked on and that they might be fixed in the next patch, but now that it's been abandoned I'm struggling to stay interested. I'm really hoping that Assetto Corsa (or maybe even GTS) can fill that void, but I'm simply not going to accept another shoddy bug-riddled experience, no matter how high the highs are.

When is the review embargo up?

danowat

Banned
Man, I so want this to be great on consoles. I'm finding that I can't find the enthusiasm to play pCARS any more. Ever since support was halted I'm finding it harder and harder to forgive it's many shortcomings and not get annoyed by the many bugs and niggles. It was OK when I knew they were being worked on and that they might be fixed in the next patch, but now that it's been abandoned I'm struggling to stay interested. I'm really hoping that Assetto Corsa (or maybe even GTS) can fill that void, but I'm simply not going to accept another shoddy bug-riddled experience, no matter how high the highs are.

When is the review embargo up?

25th.

I started playing PCars again fairly recently, still the best (IMO) racing game on any console, despite it's numerous issues, finger crossed AC is decent........

Anyone keen on PS4 vs XBO, see below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e66Qjn5FoCM

JamboGT

Got my T500's fan replaced, a new rim and am ready to go, even got a bit of practice on the PC version, I love how Assetto Corsa handles, it is just so natural compared to most others.

Didn't we just use the PC OT?
Damn, you're right. Hmmm... I feel like this game would deserve an OT, not sure it would be used much, but if I was the average GT console-only gamer, bought AC on PS4, then I might not dare to go to the PC racing sims thread to talk about my "noob" experience and ask noob questions, which would be a shame.

danowat

Banned
Damn, you're right. Hmmm... I feel like this game would deserve an OT, not sure it would be used much, but if I was the average GT console-only gamer, bought AC on PS4, then I might not dare to go to the PC racing sims thread to talk about my "noob" experience and ask noob questions, which would be a shame.

What are the rules?, surely if there is enough demand then someone could make one?, it would be unprecedented though, as PCars was a combined OT too.

That said, I am not even sure there is a non-EA Assetto Corsa OT in existence, so maybe making one would be worthwhile?

danowat

Banned
25th, some of the game is off limits or locked away, so we can go into more detail then and take requests on car / track / format combinations people would like to see.

Can you say anything about how it handles with a pad?, or has that information been embargo'd? (which might say enough in itself!)

Who's up for making a new OT then?

JamboGT

Can you say anything about how it handles with a pad?, or has that information been embargo'd? (which might say enough in itself!)

Who's up for making a new OT then?

I was trying with a pad the other day on PC to try this out, seemed fine I have to say, was using a pad when I recorded this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE7OixkbsGs

Those were my own settings of course, but I imagine those options will be available here too.

That said, I am not even sure there is a non-EA Assetto Corsa OT in existence, so maybe making one would be worthwhile?
Searched for it, no non-EA OT.

The game has a new UI, different option set etc, am sure a new OT would be fine.
I'd ask a moderator, but as I'm playing on PC I don't feel qualified to make an OT(has it even been confirmed that the new UI will arrive with v1.8 on PC?). I'd be up for being delegated to get some OP goodies though. Make gifs, take track screenshots etc.

Maybe even ask the EA-OT maker, if he's ok with it and can help / has suggestions.

Xbox version:

- standard controller settings are really good
- lots of tearing

Played the game after installing a 565 MB update.

danowat

Banned
Xbox version:

- standard controller settings are really good
- lots of tearing

Played the game after installing a 592 MB update.

Thanks, yes, tearing has been quite apparent in the videos, the XBO version does seem to suffer a little more.

Looking forward to the DF technical look.

If the PC version doesn't get the new UI I'm going to be miffed. The UI in the PC version stinks. Having to balance my keyboard and mouse somewhere to navigate everything (can't even pause with the wheel) is super frustrating. The console release just looks way more polished throughout.

If the PC version doesn't get the new UI I'm going to be miffed. The UI in the PC version stinks. Having to balance my keyboard and mouse somewhere to navigate everything (can't even pause with the wheel) is super frustrating. The console release just looks way more polished throughout.

Kunos said that PC will get the new UI alongside the console release, but that was a long time ago, no mention of it in the last youtube streams from Stefano.

But I'm with you, I bought a second wireless keyboard with integrated touch pad for cases like this, but it's really annoying.

MGR

Man, I keep forgetting that my Fanatec rig isn't supported so it's all academic anyway.

I'm out!

Forgive me if it's been covered elsewhere but is there a possibility that the cronusmax would work with the Fanatec gear?

The adapter takes G25/27 input and fools the PS4 into thinking it's talking to a G29. Can the Fanatec in PS3 mode fool the Cronusmax into thinking it's talking to a G25?

Isn't that basically the same principle used to achieve Fanatec compatibility on PS3 games that only supported Logitechs?

I asked in the |OT|-|OT| thread, if a new AC OT would be ok /within the rules.

Update: Seems to be fine.

Anyone interested who will buy the console version?
I'd be willing to help in any way I can.

danowat

Banned
I asked in the |OT|-|OT| thread, if a new AC OT would be ok /within the rules.

Update: Seems to be fine.

Anyone interested who will buy the console version?
I'd be willing to help in any way I can.

Is it just a console thread?, or are we encompassing the PC non-EA version too?

If it's just console, I reckon I can bash some text together if someone can do some graphics.

Is it just a console thread?, or are we encompassing the PC non-EA version too?

I don't know. I think it should be for everyone and I wrote to the EA-|OT| original poster, if he's ok with it and has sugggestions.

But the PC discussion could get mod-heavy and the console guys can't chime in (I mean, ~40% of my tracks and 15% of my cars aren't original)?... Eh, whatever.
I think it should be for all three versions.

danowat

Banned
I am asking myself the question, is there any need for a new PC thread?, surely most of the PC chat has already found a home in the original OT?, and a new thread should really be for the new release of the console version?

No disrespect to my PC breatheren though.......

nasanu

Banned
Based on the PC version, turning off the Yebis post processing can give a 40+ fps boost. It really is a huge resource drain for not a lot in return IMO.

I can't see any reason why the PS4 version can't hit 60fps with 23 AI cars - not in VR mode - with most of the standard PC settings enabled. My now defunct 2500K i5 build with an EVGA 680 can run a full grid of AI at Spa at well over an average of 80fps with the reflections turned up to their medium setting (default is static because of the resource drain). I can't see why a console couldn't match that. For the record I have owned the PC version of AC since the early builds required a netKar Pro product key.

Yeah the PS4 and XBO are more powerful than my gaming PC (currently a 650 Ti Boost OC, which is really strange because comparision videos keep telling me I can run max settings on PC because PCs are more powerful?... odd) and I get over 60fps at 1080p most of the time, though I have turned reflections off (not that I have noticed the difference).

But the thing is that we are talking Kunos here. The same guys that have taken 3 years (5 years with lead in time) to produce an engine that can't do rain, can't do more than one light source, cannot do trackside animations etc. They make a great sim don't get me wrong, but they are not graphics coding geniuses and their console experience is zero. Also it's just port, I highly doubt big bucks are being spent getting that code written for strong single core performance to work on many jaguar cores. Both consoles are going to leave a hell of a lot of performance on the table.

In the end though if you came here for graphics you are in the wrong thread. AC is about the greatest driving feel in all of gaming and that's it. Best sound? No. Best graphics? Hell no. Best racing? No. Best experience of just driving? Hell yes.

But the thing is that we are talking Kunos here. The same guys that have taken 3 years (5 years with lead in time) to produce an engine that can't do rain, can't do more than one light source, cannot do trackside animations etc. They make a great sim don't get me wrong, but they are not graphics coding geniuses and their console experience is zero. Also it's just port, I highly doubt big bucks are being spent getting that code written for strong single core performance to work on many jaguar cores. Both consoles are going to leave a hell of a lot of performance on the table.

I'm not interested in defending AC's graphics, but they did rewrite a shit-ton of code to get good multi-core performance out of it for the console release. Next time you fire the game up, check your CPU threading, it's really good.

Personally I have big respect for developers that refuse to grow and expand because that would need a real full-time manager. You are just happier with your job and more productive if you can choose what to do without real hierarchy involved that forces annoying work routines on you. You don't feel like cog in the grinder and make a better product.

JamboGT

I think I am easy pleased, I think Assetto Corsa looks great. I hope they can get screen tearing sorted though haven't been seeing too much in PS4 videos of actual in game driving.

danowat

Banned
Well, I've written the body text for a console specific OT, if anyone wants it to make an OT, or wants to knock up some graphics for it, let me know.

After the dog's egg that was PCars pad optimisation i'm hoping AC is better. I'm not buying until it's in the wild and it's been hammered.

nasanu

Banned
Personally I have big respect for developers that refuse to grow and expand because that would need a real full-time manager. You are just happier with your job and more productive if you can choose what to do without real hierarchy involved that forces annoying work routines on you. You don't feel like cog in the grinder and make a better product.

That's great, be happy others are happy in their jobs holding the company growth back to suit their own personal needs. Personally I want to race in the rain or at night or to simply be able to enjoy seeing beautiful cars speeding through beautiful locations. Each to their own.

JamboGT

That's great, be happy others are happy in their jobs holding the company growth back to suit their own personal needs. Personally I want to race in the rain or at night or to simply be able to enjoy seeing beautiful cars speeding through beautiful locations. Each to their own.

There are other games that do that, Kunos are very much their own thing, working from a small studio at Vallelunga. Nothing but respect for them, the job they do for the team size is amazing.

Jamesways

The VVV channel put up an Xbox One pad/preview video-
Looking good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV8GQF7kBFE

Also, the sounds on the Huracan GT3's are really impressive! I was at a race weekend with the Blancpain SuperTrafeo series recently, that's fairly spot on.

danowat, looking forward to the OT!
I'll do OTs for WRC6 and Ride 2. Unless you want Ride...

Also, I've been back into pCARS as well, can't wait to do comparison races next week.
I'm easily pleased by graphics too, I still think pCARS looks amazing.

Also, the sounds on the Huracan GT3's are really impressive! I was at a race weekend with the Blancpain SuperTrafeo series recently, that's fairly spot on.

Yes, coming from R3E to AC is a lot of *mumble* "this doesn't so good", but considering they are using fmod and then comparing it to games like Forza, they really nail the individuality of the cars. Engine/driveline wise you never think "this car sounds a lot like that other car". Only the bodywork movement/impact sounds are really bad in my opinion. Tire sounds in road cars might be the best in any game.

danowat

Banned
Anyone got any suggestions for the OT title?

How about Assetto Corsa (Console) OT - Race Trim

According to Google translate, Assetto Corsa means race trim :-S

Dave_6

I've got 200+ hours in the PC version and it's my favorite sim so I hope the console version does well for Kunos.

Bobnob

I went to the game hub on x1 and have got to say I'm really put off by some of the game clips.I was about to pre order but think I'm going to wait for further impressions.

Who want to buy this game to play with controller, don't waste your money. It is not Gran Turismo or Forza. This game should be played ONLY with good wheel, I am serious.

Muzicfreq

Banned
I remember people telling me first that project cars was pc only.. Till the console versions got announced, the it was assetto corsa..

Where's my money for winning the bets?!

Top Bottom