• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk a little about OSVR, a low-cost open source alternative to Oculus and Vive

jmga

Razer VR solution didn't miss CES, and the new version of their HMD looks pretty decent for the 300$ it costs.

Looking at the specs it is very similar to PSVR.

- 5,5" 1080p 120Hz 60Hz RGB OLED Display
- 100Hz IR positional tracking
- 100 degrees FOV
- Interchangable parts, which makes it upgradable

http://www.digitaltrends.com/virtual-reality/osvr-hacker-dev-kit-hands-on/#/5

OSVR supports OpenVR/SteamVR, so all SteamVR titles should work with this HMD. It looks like a good VR headset to begin with and wait a couple of years while high-end VR solutions lower its costs.

Updated:
Display can only work at 60Hz.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=191955539#post191955539

Depending on the price of Vive, I might get that. I'm not interested in room tracking or eye tracking or 1440p. All I want is a headset with decent FOV, 3D and 1080P.

Krakn3Dfx

This definitely seems like a more mass market approach to VR as opposed to the alternatives. Open Source is cool, too. I'm going to have to keep an eye on this, even tho I have a Rift pre-ordered.

Sulik2

This basically sounds like the occulus dev kits. I'd wait to order one of these until we hear how it is with nausea.

This being modular seems like a good idea for people wanting to get on early at a lower cost. I'll be keeping an eye on it but I've never heard of it up until now.

Tadie

Looks good. So can anybody tell me the biggest difference between OSVR and Occulus in reference to the hardware (the price point is obvious)?

mnannola

I hope they do a decent job on this. VR adoption will benefit if there are lower cost options, as long as they still offer an enjoyable experience.

wege12

The Fove VR headset could shake up things with its eye tracking and foveated rendering.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/fov...ces,30964.html

Originally Posted by :
During CES 2016, Tom’s Hardware managed to get an exclusive look at Fove Inc.’s eye tracking VR headset. Fove wasn't going to be demonstrating anything new to the press, or the public, but the company CTO, Lockliam Wilson, agreed to give us a quick look.

New Hardware Revision Soon

On day one of CES, I met with Wilson, and he showed me an alpha version of the Fove dev kit so that I could get some perspective on what kind of benefits eye tracking would have in a VR HMD. The hardware he showed me is actually an old revision from six months ago, and the software is just as old. A new version of the kit and software will be ready in the coming months, but Fove isn’t ready to show that hardware just yet. Therefore, the below is a look at something a ways off from a final build. Even so, I found it compelling.

There are a number of VR headsets in development, but Fove sticks out from the crowd by including eye-tracking sensors. Fove isn’t partnering with an existing vendor for its eye-tracking components, though. The company has opted to develop its own proprietary hardware in-house, rather than use already available technology. Wilson didn’t go into detail explaining the benefits of Fove's sensors, but by creating its own, the company has full control of the design, which affords the Fove team the ability to fine tune as they see fit.

Intuitive Extra Input Axis

Fove’s use of eye tracking is beneficial in that in addition to having head tracking, eye tracking allows you to decouple the cursor from your head movement. Imagine trying to navigate menus from a game in VR: You have to pan your head up and down and side to side to get around the menus. With the Fove HMD, navigating menus is as simple as gazing at the item you want to access. The cameras inside the headset track the movements of your pupils to gauge where you are looking. Eye tracking can also be used for aiming. Rather than panning your head around to lock your cursor on a target, you can just look at what you want to attack, and the cursor will follow.

Wilson had me put the headset on and try out a quick tech demo. Before playing anything, the eye trackers need to be calibrated. The calibration test is a simple process that takes only a few seconds. A green dot will appear in an area of the screen, and you have to gaze at it. When the sensor detects that you’re looking at it, the cursor will move to a new location. You repeat the process for each green dot that appears, and once it stops producing dots, the calibration is complete.

After calibrating the sensors, I was shown a launcher application with a couple of different tech demos. Wilson had me try a demo that had me shooting at various targets by simply using my eyes. I was surprised at how well this actually worked, and it's easy to see the benefit of such a feature.

I quickly started imagining what kinds of experiences could benefit from the use of this technology. Eve: Valkyrie came to mind as a game that could very easily make use of eye-tracking to enhance the game play. Imagine looking around through the canopy of your space ship, but when you look at an enemy, it locks the missile launcher onto the target, rather than manually assigning the target. This could be the reality of playing the game on a Fove VR HMD.

Foveated Rendering, For Real

Eye tracking has another big advantage that will affect rendering performance in a big way. With the ability to isolate where you are looking, Fove has managed to get Foveated Rendering working. Using this technology, Fove is able to perform detailed rendering for the section of the scene that is actually in your focus. The rest of the scene can be toned down in quality to free up graphics resources for the important parts.

Nvidia has been talking about getting Foveated Rendering working for VR, but at this time it is simply something the company is working on. Fove has a marked advantage with its eye-tracking technology. Wilson told me that they use a custom shader to pull this off, and he showed me the effect. It’s really quite impressive to see this effect in real-time. You can’t really tell it’s happening when the headset is on, but as a spectator watching the laptop screen, it was apparent what was happening.

As I mentioned, the headset that Wilson showed me is an early prototype, so it is a little rough around the edges. The inside of the headset is configured with an LED below the lenses. I was told this is for debugging purposes and won’t be present in the developer kits when they ship later this year. Wilson also said that the inside of the headset will be black, unlike the current headset, which is white inside.

Well Thought-Out Design

Although it's still a prototype, I found the headset to be comfortable. It looks rather large in the front, but it is well balanced, and the head strap is easy to secure. It's reminiscent of the strap used on the PSVR. There's a section that cups the back of your head and tightens with a dial on the back. This works well enough, but I would expect the mechanism to be significantly refined for the next iteration (not to mention the final product). I was told that the company will have a new version of the hardware that we can see in the next couple months. This upcoming revision should have significant improvements across the board.

There are a number of exciting things happening behind the scenes at Fove. When the company is ready to talk more about them, we’ll be here to let you know.

Thanks to Lochliam Wilson and Francesco Simoneschi from Fove Inc. for taking the time to meet with me, and for bringing the headset with them for this exclusive look.

Steel

Banned
Tested put up a vid on it yesterday from CES.

This actually sounds like it will be cheaper than PSVR. Sounds interesting.

Looks good. So can anybody tell me the biggest difference between OSVR and Occulus in reference to the hardware (the price point is obvious)?

Screen resolution, Occulus has built-in extremely high quality headphones.... Beyond that, I'm not sure yet. OSVR sounds exactly like PSVR.

Krakn3Dfx

Single, lower resolution screen, only running at 60Hz are the big differences.

Edit: Seems like it may be a 120Hz screen now. Razer was quoted in a previous Tested video as saying it was 60Hz, but that was as GDC last year, so maybe that's changed.

jmga

Tested put up a vid on it yesterday from CES.

It seems there is a contradiction with the display refresh rate, the Razer guy in the video says 60Hz but the digitaltrends article says 120Hz.

I have checked the OSVR website and it is also not clear.

http://osvr.org/hardware.html

e0RNTwv.png

And below says the following.

Single full HD 5.5” low persistence OLED silver screen with 401 PPI running at 60fps resulting in clearer, brighter images.

*Contributing to the low persistence is the 240hz frequency rate the display operates at.

Is it possible that Oculus, Vive and this will all be able to run the same games? But at different resolution etc, or are we looking at games only supporting one?

pmj

The price makes it tempting, but SteamVR support seems spotty based on some reddit talk I stumbled across recently and 60Hz would be a deal-breaker.

UrbanRats

DigitalTrends says that. Their own website and the project manager in the Tested video say otherwise.

I assume that's the final target for the consumer version, and 60hz is the dev kit you can buy now? given the nature of the device, incremental advancements should be quick enough to integrate.

Exuro

Is it possible that Oculus, Vive and this will all be able to run the same games? But at different resolution etc, or are we looking at games only supporting one?
It supports steamvr so games that support that should work, provided they're not using the vive controllers for input.

It's a glorified DK2.

Let's hope lesser hmds don't end up discouraging people from adopting VR.

Good thing it's upgradable.

I keep seeing this sentiment all over the place and if that's what will kill the current incarnation of VR, then the current incarnation of VR was too fragile to live in the first place. There's no way you were going to convince tons of people who couldn't or wouldn't buy into the Oculus Rift because of cost to just sit on the sidelines for a few more years until the "good" headsets came down to affordable prices. It's like telling people who couldn't afford the original iPhone to not buy those cheaper Android phones because you won't get "the full smartphone experience" and it'll kill the smartphone market dead if those people get soured on smartphones.

wwm0nkey

my work just got a boat load of these in, the screen is very nice, adjustment knobs are the best thing ever. Having some issues setting them up though.

I keep seeing this sentiment all over the place and if that's what will kill the current incarnation of VR, then the current incarnation of VR was too fragile to live in the first place. There's no way you were going to convince tons of people who couldn't or wouldn't buy into the Oculus Rift because of cost to just sit on the sidelines for a few more years until the "good" headsets came down to affordable prices. It's like telling people who couldn't afford the original iPhone to not buy those cheaper Android phones because you won't get "the full smartphone experience" and it'll kill the smartphone market dead if those people get soured on smartphones.

Not really. Phones are a bad comparison because if the resolution was too small or fps too low you wouldn't get sick.

DK2 did this to me in a few experiences where my PC couldn't keep up. But with experiences that ran smooth, it was great.

There definitely is a "minimum req" and not meeting that is detrimental to the experience.

I don't think it will kill the movement (nothing will, it's going to happen) but it could turn some people off if they are sensitive to these things, like I am.

Not really. Phones are a bad comparison because if the resolution was too small or fps too low you wouldn't get sick.

DK2 did this to me in a few experiences where my PC couldn't keep up. But with experiences that ran smooth, it was great.

There definitely is a "minimum req" and not meeting that is detrimental to the experience.

I don't think it will kill the movement (nothing will, it's going to happen) but it could turn some people off if they are sensitive to these things, like I am.

Sure, but is that a headset issue or a PC issue? I think it's a lot easier to justify dropping a few hundred on upgrading your PC, since you use it for so much more stuff even if it's just a gaming rig. $600 USD on top of that is a big difference. If the DK2 works well assuming your PC is up to snuff, that implies to me there's an opening for the Razer OSVR headset.

Sure, but is that a headset issue or a PC issue? I think it's a lot easier to justify dropping a few hundred on upgrading your PC, since you use it for so much more stuff even if it's just a gaming rig. $600 USD on top of that is a big difference. If the DK2 works well assuming your PC is up to snuff, that implies to me there's an opening for the Razer OSVR headset.

R9 290 and i5-3570k. It was a bit of both but it's one of the top cards and a great CPU. It plays anything I throw at it but VR is demanding, the lower you go the worse it gets.

Now, there are definitely games playable with less bells and whistles (I did Assetto Corsa and Elite) but the DK2 showed me potential, I couldn't play long term. And I'm an enthusiast. My personal opinion of course. But I don't think now is the time for a person to jump into VR if they have an average PC and an average HMD. I would recommend going the PS4/PSVR route because Sony has great games and I've heard great things about it.

Certainly interesting,and a way more tempting price point.Shall keep a very close eye on this,as I'm priced out of Occulus and possibly Vive for now

Suddenly I'm expecting PSVR to be around $350

If Sony wants to win the VR race, the must release it for under $300.

"OSVR is even better than the Oculus Rift and half the cost."

"In fact, having used the Rift in its final form a few times, I’m not afraid to say I enjoyed the OSVR experience more. The HDK looks less like virtual reality, and more like real life. That’s the goal after all, isn’t it?."

202ba994a368d5cea1f90ylu2l.gif

jmga

When connected to the computer, only 60hz can be selected through the nvidia control panel, no 120hz.

So it is a 120Hz display that can only work at 60Hz.

That doesn't make sense, maybe it is capped by firmware.

I wonder why they say it is 120Hz then.

Kysen

When connected to the computer, only 60hz can be selected through the nvidia control panel, no 120hz.

And there it is, dead in the water. These VR knock offs just aren't worth it. Far better to just pay the premium to Oculus/Valve because you know they know what decent VR is.

jmga

And there it is, dead in the water. These VR knock offs just aren't worth it. Far better to just pay the premium to Oculus/Valve because you know they know what decent VR is.

Parts are interchangeable, so you will probably be able to upgrade the display for 100/150$ in a few months.

MIMF

So it is a 120Hz display that can only work at 60Hz.

That doesn't make sense, maybe it is capped by firmware.

I wonder why they say it is 120Hz then.

I do not know how the customer version will be (if it finally exists at some point, I have my doubts) but right now the OSVR latest devkit is behind the Oculus DK2 in terms of ergonomics/layout. The OSVR is a mess of cables and splitters that really make it very uncomfortable to use, I think even the Oculus DK1 was less awkward.

At the optics level, the screen door effect is very similar to the DK2. The lenses have a slider that works well that allows them to be placed closer to the eye in a smooth way, so no need to swap them as in DK2. But it does not have any slider to adjust the IPD whick I think is far more important.

On the other hand looking at the software side Razer has a very long way to go if they want to catch up with Oculus and get developers support.

seb

Banned
I own a Homido headset (glorified cardboard) and I'm already convinced. Can't wait to get this one.
I don't care about the limitations, I already think the Homido has killer apps lol. I mean who can say no to that:
YuCyvHP.png

60 hz seems like something I would not want in any VR thing, regardless of price. Can you evenhave good low persistence at 60hz?

dumbo

60 hz seems like something I would not want in any VR thing, regardless of price. Can you evenhave good low persistence at 60hz?

AFAIK the screen is capable of 120hz, whilst the control logic caps at 60hz - so it's 'low persistence' (I think gearVR is 60hz and that doesn't seem to be considered terrible).

The other thing to note is that 'OSVR' is a development kit, it's intended for Razer's partners to take the basic design (and drivers) and produce commercial headsets from it. Those partners may choose different refresh rates/screens/tracking etc.

Top Bottom