• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshi's New Island | OT | Is you is or is you ain't my Baby (Mario)

Sendou

For babies ?

I heard the game gets petty hard near the 3rd world

Read that thread about that 1-hour footage. Bunch of people trashing the game without playing it. Also somehow rewriting history and making games that never were a challenge hard.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Run Button: Dedicated

Who's claiming that? I'm asking my fellow reviewers: Which button is the run button? I can't find any run button and I don't feel the need for one yet, but as a Sonic fan I of course like speed ^^.

Every time I see the box art and official art I want to buy this, but then I remember the game doesn't look like that.

I really like this screenshot, hope most of the game looks like this.

1798757_819308811432264_1863910673_n.png
Is that a false tooth or something? So shiny.

Kinsei

Banned
Every time I see the box art and official art I want to buy this, but then I remember the game doesn't look like that.

Is that a false tooth or something? So shiny.

It might be. You might have to knock it out in order to make him re-submerge into the water.

maxcriden

Who's claiming that? I'm asking my fellow reviewers: Which button is the run button? I can't find any run button and I don't feel the need for one yet, but as a Sonic fan I of course like speed ^^.

Platy mentioned this. If it's not true I'll gladly remove it.

Yoshi

If it's not something horribly placed or a very subtle change I'm quite sure there is none, but Yoshi actually moves quite quickly...

MrBadger

What did Gamespot say? Considering it's a game for babies it should have the right degree of difficulty for them, shouldn't it? On the other hand, this game has no checkpoints during boss fights either :/.

Gamespot's preview.

I know I've not been this game's biggest fan lately, but I don't really think people come to preview videos to hear someone vent out their frustrations on how modern Nintendo is nothing but rehashes.

Ragus

Banned
Man, I don't know. To begin with, II have a huge backlog of 2d platformers (Rayman Legends, Luigi U, DKCTF, Guacamele) and I'd rather play any of them than this game.

On the other hand, YI is my favourite game ever. Will have to wait for first impressions.

Mlatador

Banned
What did Gamespot say? Considering it's a game for babies it should have the right degree of difficulty for them, shouldn't it? On the other hand, this game has no checkpoints during boss fights either :/.

pwnt.gif

Gamespot on blast!! :D

Yoshi

Gamespot's preview.

I know I've not been this game's biggest fan lately, but I don't really think people come to preview videos to hear someone vent out their frustrations on how modern Nintendo is nothing but rehashes.

Funny that he's complaining you can't be sure which walls are solid, while walking into a wall that's clearly marked as not solid.

Yoshi

On the other hand, YI is my favourite game ever.

Did you like it for its gameplay mechanics and collection-oriented-level design at a reasonable degree of difficulty or for its fresh looks and charming music?

Yoshi

If you only press into a direction for a very short amount of time, Yoshi just walks slowly, but after only split seconds he starts running, no run button involved here, just typical speed ramp-up, like Sonic too has it in old games.

maxcriden

BTW, if anyone would be willing to deck out Nabbit in a Yoshi theme I'd be greatly appreciative. Here's the basic Nabbit I use:

images_zps03e9a6fd.jpg

jnWake

Reception to this game has been so hyperbolic. It's a shame really... Guess people really don't need to play games anymore, just watching a couple of videos is fine.

R0ckman

For people who have seen this game in person. Would the graphics of the interactive forescreen elements like characters and enemies be described as NSMB with a slapped on crayon texture effect? It looks like thats the case looking at some of the images.

I love the title, reminds me of when Tom sang that song in Tom & Jerry, haha.

I'm sorta-maybe kinda waiting to get this game. I usually like the games Nintendo comes out with, but with the music and videos, it doesn't do it justice. Hopefully Nintendo World will have demos of it when the game is out...

Tookay

Reception to this game has been so hyperbolic. It's a shame really... Guess people really don't need to play games anymore, just watching a couple of videos is fine.

With all due respect, when you've played thousands of games in your life, you can pick up a lot about the tone/mechanics/direction of a game from a video.

We're not idiots here.

I'll be happy to find out this game is awesome though.

Camjo-Z

I actually like the music I've heard in this game. It still looked pretty boring level design-wise from what I watched in the 1-hour video, but I'll wait for reviews and see how it fares.

ohlawd

I think I'll go ahead and get this. I really like how this game looks. I haven't seen the full hour video and I'm crazy not to. I mean, I should check out what's making people say "terrible music, terrible level design, terrible EVERYTHING" but me, man, I'm crazy.

I've been debating whether to use my Best Buy certs on this or not but I might as well. I can get the game free this way. Gotta print them out.

Antoids

Banned
I think mechanically this game looks great, and even the art style is fine in motion. I definitely see where the hate for the music is coming from, though.

casiopao

With all due respect, when you've played thousands of games in your life, you can pick up a lot about the tone/mechanics/direction of a game from a video.

We're not idiots here.

I'll be happy to find out this game is awesome though.

Idiots or not here, it does not guarantee what u think is 100% correct here. We had seen many other games which actually does not deliver even when the first preview is good here.

Sonic Lost World? The first preview makes everyone said the time for Sonic to beat Mario has come. And what did we get? A mediocore sonic game here.
Remember Total War? Boy man we are hyped for that one too right? What did we get? Ohhhhhh boy. Ship can pass through desert kind of game. Enemy A.I playing running in circle game?
How about Alien Colonial Marines then? Gearbox quality I guess?
(Boy o boy. I can only remember Sega as example lol.)

Meanwhile we already see the opposite to ever happen here.

Remember the backlash Mario 3D World get? Remember the backlash of Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze?
I guess due us being so smart, we already know for sure that those games are going to be so bad that Nintendo is doomed.

Eldon

I'm so hyped for this game. I just hope that the bosses are good enough to not suck compared to the original. Do we know how many levels/worlds are there?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I have no doubt that the level designs will be good, Nintendo seems to have made sure of that with the supervisors they put on the game. It's a shame the visuals and sound aren't too impressive.

Tillbo

Just got my copy of Edge Magazine, oh dear they didn't like it at all :( had this game pre-ordered as well.

Got a 4 for anyone interested

Yoshi

Just got my copy of Edge Magazine, oh dear they didn't like it at all :( had this game pre-ordered as well.

What did they complain about? 4/10 seems extradordinarilly harsh.

ajim

I'm prob still going to get it - I've got a soft spot in my heart for Yoshi. Even if I didn't finish Yoshi Story DS because it was boring...

Griss

Idiots or not here, it does not guarantee what u think is 100% correct here. We had seen many other games which actually does not deliver even when the first preview is good here.

Sonic Lost World? The first preview makes everyone said the time for Sonic to beat Mario has come. And what did we get? A mediocore sonic game here.
Remember Total War? Boy man we are hyped for that one too right? What did we get? Ohhhhhh boy. Ship can pass through desert kind of game. Enemy A.I playing running in circle game?

Remember the backlash Mario 3D World get? Remember the backlash of Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze?
I guess due us being so smart, we already know for sure that those games are going to be so bad that Nintendo is doomed.

No one thought 3D World or DK would be bad. No one. The backlash was disappointment at the direction that both series had taken. Basically that 3D World was much less ambitious than Galaxy, and a safe sequel to 3D Land. Which is exactly what it proved to be. And that Retro had made a safe sequel to DKCR, which didn't really need one, rather than doing something fresh and new.

That 'backlash' was entirely deserved, and the fact that both games were excellent - as expected - doesn't change that.

MrBadger

Okay, let's see. I can't talk for Total War, but if I recall, people were outright lied to with Colonial Marines, being shown footage that the final game was severely different to. Sonic turned out mediocre because of the controls and some of the later level design being messy, neither of which are concerns with New Island. Plus I think games that looked good and turned out bad aren't really comparable situations to games that looked bad and turned out good.

Super Mario 3D World was only doubted from the initial reveal. As soon as Nintendo showed that October direct, everyone became excited for it, and people were thinking it'd be fantastic during the weeks before its launch. We're what, 3 days away from the New Island launch? And Nintendo still haven't made the game look any more exciting than its initial reveal.

Donkey Kong looked great from the first trailer. The backlash from that came from the fact that people wanted Metroid or a new IP out of Retro. I, and many others who were up for more Donk, thought it would be good, and as more footage came out and more people accepted that this is the game we were getting, the hype grew. Plus there was the incredible soundtrack, which I will happily eat my laptop if New Island manages to top.

Plus, it's not exactly like people don't want to be proven wrong. When I get this game, I'll be thrilled if I get past the third world and it gets crazy good.

Tillbo

What did they complain about? 4/10 seems extradordinarilly harsh.

To sum up...

• Unresponsive controls
  • Poor level design
  • Anachronistic checkpointing
  • Lack of anything 'new'
  • Very poor use of 3D
  • 'Horrid' music
Mine is already on its way though, so I'll see what it's like myself soon...

To sum up...

• Unresponsive controls
  • Poor level design
  • Lack of anything 'new'
  • Very poor use of 3D
  • 'Horrid' music

Do keep us updated, please. The one hour of footage that was released did not exactly do the game any favours.

To sum up...

• Unresponsive controls
  • Poor level design
  • Lack of anything 'new'
  • Very poor use of 3D
  • 'Horrid' music
I don't care about 3D and can't speak to the controls, but if I had to make a list about why I'm hesitant to buy it based on the footage I've seen, this would basically be it.

Yoshi

Not they too, if certain games journalists have their way, we will soon end up with games that place checkpoints every two seconds. Rayman Legends was already dangerously close to that :/. Really surprised to read "unresponsive controls, too, regarding the other points, I guess you could always discuss it and find ways of looking at things that can justify the statement (easily so for the music, which really is - as everyone can see by the videos - bland), but these two points really confuse me. I'm very sensitive to controls and if they don't immediately react to what I'm pressing, I'm raging. No rage in YI3 though, not at Gamescom, not in the preview phase and I probably can't say much about the review phase here, but let's just say, why would the controls change after the preview phase with the final product.

Velcro Fly

They aren't the first to say the controls are unresponsive. GameXplain said the same thing about the gyro controls.

Yoshi

Why does a 2D game from 1995 have better character animation than a 3D game from 2014?

Bigger budget, more talented developers in the art team, no restrictions due to use of 3D, difference of taste?

maxcriden

Thanks for the info!

For reference, Yoshi's Island DS per Edge:

A workmanlike effort. 6/10

On average, this publication grades 8.8 points lower than other critics. (0-100 point scale)

NSLU:

At its best, New Super Luigi U is an exhilarating test of skill, but on occasion it dangerously approximates a fan-made ROM hack, mistakenly believing that an increased enemy count equates to satisfying design. Some will undoubtedly find its challenge inviting, but others will rightly expect more ingenuity from Nintendo than this. 6/10

NES Remix:

What began as a celebration ends with nostalgia’s bubble being cruelly pricked. 6/10

Lego City Undercover:

But for parents and adults, Undercover is a less inviting prospect, even with its satirical undertone. It’s a plastic facsimile of GTA – a game that was hardly humourless to begin with, and one that has already spawned a genre’s worth of more sophisticated rivals and clones. 5/10

They gave Wario: Master of Disguise, widely considered a quite poor game, a 4/10.

Yoshi's New Island would be one of their lowest-scoring reviews for a Nintendo game in recent memory.

TL;DR you may not always agree with Edge's reviews. FWIW I expect Nintendo Life's review to be an 8/10 if I had to predict. I usually find them pretty reliable to my own tastes.

If you only press into a direction for a very short amount of time, Yoshi just walks slowly, but after only split seconds he starts running, no run button involved here, just typical speed ramp-up, like Sonic too has it in old games.

Just as it was in Yoshi's Island.

Yoshi

Just as it was in Yoshi's Island.
Yes, it's exactly the same.

I wonder, what kind of checkpoint system Edge envisions, I consider 1-2 checkpoints per level appropiate for levels of a size comparable to the first Yoshi's Island.

To sum up...

• Unresponsive controls
  • Poor level design
  • Lack of anything 'new'
  • Very poor use of 3D
  • 'Horrid' music
Why does Nintendo continue to refuse to give this series the treatment it deserves?

Top Bottom