• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshi's New Island | OT | Is you is or is you ain't my Baby (Mario)

Siaynoqq

I bought this game hoping the reviewers got it all wrong (like with Sticker Star). But nope - just awful. I don't know how Nintendo approved this thing.

Yuterald

Finished 100%. Those last two special stages (5-S and 6-S) were pretty gnarly. Took me a bunch of tries to perfect. Just gotta grind out max (999?) lives and I'll shelf it for good. Will probably not replay this game ever again, hah! My final thoughts on the game aren't much different than how I felt as I was playing through the game. It's a competent, safe and familiar platformer. Doesn't stray too far from what made Yoshi's Island what it was, but it also doesn't do anything special/new to excite veteran players. Game's MUCH better than its older DS brother, but pales in comparison to the original SNES game.

Now, time to steer my focus to Kirby: Triple Perfection.

EDIT: Oh, is there no profile stars or anything cool to showcase having completed the game 100% (like in the original/most Nintendo platformers). All I see is a flag with how many Yoshi's it took to reach the end on my save file (which I'm assuming is a death count in some ways). Is that it? Bummer if there's nothing else. =/

also

Banned
The reviews originally put me off but then I still bought it because I managed to get a good deal. After 100% it I can say I enjoyed the game, probably because this was my first YI experience so I wasn't affected by the recycling and couldn't compare it to the, supposedly, vastly superior original. Here are some thoughts on the game:
-the graphics were OK; nothing mindblowing but I enjoyed the crayon shading
-the music was just kinda there; not that good but still not as awful as some would led you to believe. I should mention that unless the music is awesome or completely terrible, I tend to mostly tune it out, which is what happened with this game.
-the boss fights were boring (especially the last boss) due to them being way too easy. They all devolve into waiting for the boss to finish it's super easily avoidable attack so that you can throw some more eggs and be done with it. No challenge, no excitement. Fighting Kamek was more enjoyable tough some encounters could use more work.
-searching for some of the hidden ? clouds was more tedious than challenging. They really should have put in a sensor of some sort or made the clouds appear as soon as you got near them as opposed to requiring you to reach their exact location.
-the world map looks bad and stutters too much
-the last scene was a nice touch
-the special levels were a welcome challenge

I sound really down on the game but the egg throwing mechanic and the addicting item collecting made up for the not so stellar parts. However, I can see how veterans of the series or those just rushing through the game would be disappointed.

If you want a solid platformed that focuses on item collecting give this game a chance when it goes on sale.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
BTW, Yosh, and daydreaming, I'm wondering if the YNI is better appreciated by German gamers whose music and language have a similar tonality, if that makes sense.

I've only seen this now, and I doubt it, from what I've heard from friends, German forum-goers and my fiancée reactions vary between "awful" and "cute at times, but not too great". I don't know any music in Germany that sounds a lot like the Yoshi's New Island music either, that would be very untypical choice of instruments. Actually, German music most of the times sounds rather similar to American music, at least to me and disregarding "Schlager" (which also doesn't sound a lot like YNI's music, though I'd rather listen to Yoshi clan all day than to a "Schlager").

I came to briefly discuss sales. It seems word of mouth for the game is not too shabby, considering the game has shown nice legs in many european countries and also in the US, where it has gotten to around 135k in its first month and around 90k in its second one. So I'm hopeful that another Yoshi game after YNI is not too unlikely :).

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I'm up to world 4 now. It's nothing amazing but I like the graphics, the level designs and some of the music is OK. I don't mind the style they went for overall, I seem to be one of the few people who prefer the lullaby/babyish style of the post Yoshi's Story games.

If they give the next Yoshi game to a better studio than Azrest then it could be a classic, but Nintendo seem happy to pick a shit studio and then sprinkle some of their producers on top. You will never get a top quality game that way, only something derivative (not necessarily bad).

illusionary

I think I'm about done with this game at last. I've 100%ed everything... except for 5-S and 6-S, which I just can't seem to get. :(

Still, I've enjoyed it. Not a standout game, perhaps, but enjoyable enough. I can understand where those who were describing it as easy were coming from, but have a feeling that they many may not have been playing the game as it really demands and going for all of the collectibles - or the secret levels!

maxcriden

I think I'm about done with this game at last. I've 100%ed everything... except for 5-S and 6-S, which I just can't seem to get. :(

Still, I've enjoyed it. Not a standout game, perhaps, but enjoyable enough. I can understand where those who were describing it as easy were coming from, but have a feeling that they many may not have been playing the game as it really demands and going for all of the collectibles - or the secret levels!

Kudos on your accomplishments. I'm certain you're right that anyone describing it as easy did not go for 100%. If you 100% the entire game, I will send you something delectable in the mail.

illusionary

Kudos on your accomplishments. I'm certain you're right that anyone describing it as easy did not go for 100%. If you 100% the entire game, I will send you something delectable in the mail.
Thanks!

Well, that's certainly a challenge! I actually couldn't quite resist a few more tries last night and they paid off - 6-S is now done, 100% :D Just one more to go...

(also, while I'd not ask for anything either way, I'm in the UK so you'd probably want to avoid sending things internationally)

sdconvoy

Played the demo on a 3DSXL at gamestop, and didn't spend a TON of time with it. to me, the biggest issue was one of control. Egg throwing felt INCREDIBLY slow, as in, you have to wait half of a second for the cursor to move forward and start moving. Was my impression off or is that how the game actually is? on top of that, is the game built around this delay, or is a just a nuisance?

illusionary

Played the demo on a 3DSXL at gamestop, and didn't spend a TON of time with it. to me, the biggest issue was one of control. Egg throwing felt INCREDIBLY slow, as in, you have to wait half of a second for the cursor to move forward and start moving. Was my impression off or is that how the game actually is? on top of that, is the game built around this delay, or is a just a nuisance?

I'd not noticed any significant delay in my run through the game. Did you try the different control styles for egg throwing? You could also take a look at a few Youtube videos demonstrating the egg-throwing mechanic in action in the full game.

Regardless of that, the game's not built around there being any sort of delay - so hopefully that's some reassurance.

Bumping as I found another tidbit about Arzest and veteran folks.

Manabu Kusunoki, who was Art Director on Flingsmash and did work on The Last Story, Topsy-Turvy, and the original Panzer Dragoon games, actually worked with Arzest on their mobile game Slot Monsters.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/06/02/huh-so-level-5-isnt-the-only-developer-with-a-slot-machine-rpg/

He's also credited as Concept Artist on Crimson Dragon, but it's hard to tell which is the earlier role, but it's fair to assume that Crimson Dragon would need concept art a long time ago (when was it unveiled again?), and Slot Monsters would've been much more recent.

Arzest has 60 employees so we don't know everyone that's there. If he is an Arzest member and not freelance, it's possible he's busy on another game there, since he's not credited in YNI.

He was also the CG Movie Director in Sonic Adventure!

maxcriden

I LOVE this track! It's like tropical themed old school Rockabilly music. They need to make more standout tracks like this next time.

Totally! Glad to hear I'm not alone in my love for this track. I'm actually listening to the Mario Sunshine OST right now and the Delfino Plaza theme reminds me of Hotfoot Hurdle!

Zing

Banned
Dusted off this game and loaded it into my new n3DS XL. I am up to world five. I just spent about an hour trying to perfect stage 2-S. I kept messing up for no real reason. This was the first stage where I "cheated" and didn't 100% it in one run. I first gathered the red coins, then went for stars (I was always able to get all flowers. I guess I was just too rusty to do it all at once.

Got this game as my Platinum award as I already had everything else really and....I'm really enjoying this game!

It's seemingly relaxing and challenging (I try for all flowers, red coins, and stars) at once.

Glad I got to try it :)

Also I dig the artstyle.

maxcriden

Got this game as my Platinum award as I already had everything else really and....I'm really enjoying this game!

It's seemingly relaxing and challenging (I try for all flowers, red coins, and stars) at once.

Glad I got to try it :)

Also I dig the artstyle.

Glad to hear you're digging it! It's really an underappreciated game.

I also just got this as a Platinum reward. I beat the game yesterday. There was a bit of tough platforming in the final level where you have to jump on birds. I just held down the jump button and that worked pretty well. I'm glad I was able to beat it. Bothers me if I can't finish a game, so glad that I could.

Is there any reason to collect everything? Is it just for completionists or does it actually unlock anything new in the game?

Like in Kirby: Canvas Curse there is a medal swap where you unlock stuff for collecting the medals.

Oh yeah, I thought the game was pretty decent overall. Probably one of my favorite 3DS games actually.

When I try to collect everything, I end up with something like 19/20 coins and 4/5 flowers. There are some things that are hidden pretty well. It makes trying for 100% kind of frustrating.

I will still replay this game because it's pretty fun.

Small update on my note about Manabu Kusunoki being at Arzest or not, this I found may be the closest to a confirmation that he is:

http://www13.atwiki.jp/game_staff/pages/475.html

If you look at the bottom, it says in the Terra Battle credit (he made 2 characters for it after 500k downloads I believe), it says he's part of Arzest.

I'm really curious what Arzest is up to, and slightly concerned about the lack of news. Their last (and only) major game was Yoshi, since then they made Boost Beast, a mobile game, and also lent Manabu Kusunoki and Naoto Ohshima to design characters in Terra Battle (Arzest mentions Terra Battle in their work list).

I hope Nintendo work very closely with Arzest on a major non-Yoshi game, a new IP preferably. And if I had it my way; it'd be Sonic! Don't forget, Arzest and Artoon before it, were formed by a lot of veterans from Sonic Adventure 1 and earlier games like Panzer Dragoon and such.

This team gets so much flak for their Yoshi games, but honestly, it's impossible to be on par with the original if you don't get the original team on it, and also for YNI the music (which was by Chamy Ishii of T's Music by the way) is what was the real sour note (HA) of the game. Also the character models were by Imageepoch of all teams.

You know what kind of games they should make with Yoshi? More like Topsy-Turvy, that thing is crazy-looking and inventive, that's the true Arzest spirit carried over from Sega, they dared to be creative and different, just like Nintendo. Don't put them on "me too" projects trying to emulate a previous Nintendo game, especially at such a high bar as Yoshi's Island.

Get them on a new IP, preferably an original 3D platformer, make that their "Yooka-Laylee" of Sonic Adventure. I mean Ohshima has a furball ready for the job! ;)

LdYtDsl.png

^^^^

Finally cleared YNI 100% from my backlog Monday night just in time for Yoshi's Wooly World this week. Perfecting 6-S was brutal, took me over an hour, I HATE rising lava stages. Overall, just as it was with YI DS, YNI is an underrated game with solid level design but the graphic style was too inconsistent and music needed more variety and polish. Based on video and impressions I'm already anticipating that Wooly World will be the better game both in design and aesthetics. I don't agree with all the hate Artoon/Arzest gets but it's definitely time to give the reigns to someone else for awhile. I'm totally ready Good Feel's fresh take on the YI universe. :)

maxcriden

^^^^

Finally cleared YNI 100% from my backlog Monday night just in time for Yoshi's Wooly World this week. Perfecting 6-S was brutal, took me over an hour, I HATE rising lava stages. Overall, just as it was with YI DS, YNI is an underrated game with solid level design but the graphic style was too inconsistent and music needed more variety and polish. Based on video and impressions I'm already anticipating that Wooly World will be the better game both in design and aesthetics. I don't agree with all the hate Artoon/Arzest gets but it's definitely time to give the reigns to someone else for awhile. I'm totally ready Good Feel's fresh take on the YI universe. :)

Knew ya could do it, bro! Congrats. I look forward to achieving this...one day. We're a bit behind on 100%'ing games in our home. :)

(Super psyched for YWW!)

Knew ya could do it, bro! Congrats. I look forward to achieving this...one day. We're a bit behind on 100%'ing games in our home. :)

(Super psyched for YWW!)

Thanks, Max! Not to brag but...this is my fourth YI series perfect file the others being both SNES and GBA versions of YI and YI DS.

Yeah, I'm bragging. :p

Top Bottom