• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshi's New Island | OT | Is you is or is you ain't my Baby (Mario)

Just wanted to say this game really must be seen on a 3DS screen to be appreciated visually. Lots of pastels, watercolor painting styles, crayon and chalk and occasionally there are these nicely done, lightly animated, hand drawn backgrounds which mimic the "sketch" backgrounds from the SNES. Having a blast perfecting the stages, I'm officially in love with the game now.

Playing this game in this way just made me realize something: I'm in for a REAL treat when I go back to play Super Mario Bros. 2: Yoshi's Island.

Back in the day when I was a kid, I didn't play that game the same way I'm playing Yoshi's New Island now. I didn't go for 100% for each level. This will be a blast to do.

I just booted up Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advanced 3 (I'm an Ambassador) and only just realized I can use the X button to lick/run instead of the B button. So I'm in business now. I'm going to play that game immediately after YNI.

Fun times ahead!

maxcriden

Playing this game in this way just made me realize something: I'm in for a REAL treat when I go back to play Super Mario Bros. 2: Yoshi's Island.

Back in the day when I was a kid, I didn't play that game the same way I'm playing Yoshi's New Island now. I didn't go for 100% for each level. This will be a blast to do.

I just booted up Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advanced 3 (I'm an Ambassador) and only just realized I can use the X button to lick/run instead of the B button. So I'm in business now. I'm going to play that game immediately after YNI.

Fun times ahead!

Indeed! I have heard the Ambassador version doesn't run very well, and I thought the GBA port itself was pretty excellent, so if you don't like how it runs, I would definitely recommend picking up the GBA cart. The best part about this port is the extra levels.

Indeed! I have heard the Ambassador version doesn't run very well, and I thought the GBA port itself was pretty excellent, so if you don't like how it runs, I would definitely recommend picking up the GBA cart. The best part about this port is the extra levels.
That's strange, cause it seems to run just how I remember the SNES version running. If I do notice issues after a prolonged play session, I'll connect my SNES with YI cart and go to town.

Zing

Banned
I didn't enjoy the GBA game. Too many added voices (although they are all present in YNI, probably identical samples even), the music was a bit off, and some of the graphical effects are not handled correctly (touch fuzzy get dizzy is the obvious one).

The voices, though. Ugh. They still bother me a bit. "Yoshi!!!" when you start a level, and the constant "hup hup hup" every time you jump (instead of the boing). The worst for this was the first Super Mario Advance, where they made SMB2 intolerable. "lucky!!! I got it!!!" barf.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, the voices in the GBA version of YI are super annoying. It's still the only version I've played in the past 15 years, though, and I love it.

Lijik

It always struck me as weird the voices intended for baby yoshis in Yoshi's story just became the defacto voice for all yoshis.

I need to get back into finishing this game. Its my least favorite of the three YI games and I could rattle off a lot of issues I have with it, but after a mostly weak first world the games been pretty fun

Zing

Banned
I did at first, but now it feels fine. The egg throwing isn't as slow as it first seemed, since you can actually throw faster than the animation implies. The only trouble I have now is the slow pause when you make an egg.

Also, gyro egg throwing control made the game feel much more responsive.

Lijik

Its a little hard to go immediately back to the previous yoshis island games after getting used to gyro throwing. Its really convenient and you dont have to tilt far to have access to the full range of aiming. Perfect use of motion controls imo

The GBA version of Yoshi's Island is actually a well done port and plays just fine. It looks better if you play it on a GBA SP or DS Lite though. There are a few issues with the sound not always being perfect and the warping animation on Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy is obviously compromised but in my opinion those are minor issues considering A) you're getting a solid, portable version of the SNES game and especially, B) it has six, additional, exclusive bonus stages which were made especially for the GBA port and they're very well done levels. Especially the infamous and brilliant Endless World of Yoshis, my favorite bonus Yoshi stage ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdsGko9WEKQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Pictures of my perfect title Star screens for my various Yoshi games:

My YI SNES cart:

PC100276.jpg

My YI GBA file:

PC130277.jpg

YI DS (just did this a few months ago, epic):

AB6EED3E-EE74-422E-9169-7D4AD4E36692-1043-0000011761925E65_zps0d3c14d1.jpg

Yoshi's New Island (coming soon sign)

Maybe someday I'll try to get a complete file for Yoshi's Story. But the poorly done, watered down and open ended level design on that game, not to mention tedious and slightly broken melon hunt doesn't really motivate me. :/ What a weird and disappointing choice that game was for Tezuka. Yoshi's Story should have been my #1 N64 platformer for the '97/'98 year, instead it was Michief Makers which got that title.

LOLDSFAN

Just beat my first playthrough of the game.

I liked the game a lot. The music was fine... The graphics were really pretty with the pastel look and everything. The gameplay was interesting. Never played a Yoshi's Island before so I had to get used to having an egg as my primary weapon. I don't know if I'll 100% it or not. Might use a walkthrough on getting all the red coins because I don't want to aimless walk around trying to find them all.

Lame I gotta wait a whole month now for my next platforming fix, Kirby: Triple Deluxe. :p

Salih

4-S and 5-S are so brutal. I can't beat those and i haven't even unlocked 6-S.
4-S is just...uhhh. That damn dog.
5-S: either i am doing it wrong or jumping off of enemies is clearly more finicky here than in DKC:TF

i am still having a good time with this game; getting 100% in each level is a great challenge for an otherwise simple game.

Lijik

4-S is just...uhhh. That damn dog..

I feel like half my deaths in 4-S were down to Poochy or awkward collision detection with spikes. Sometimes Yoshi would pop out from one of those low ceilings you need to duck under and I'd be dead before I even had a chance to jump over the spikes that killed me

5-S: either i am doing it wrong or jumping off of enemies is clearly more finicky here than in DKC:TF

i am still having a good time with this game; getting 100% in each level is a great challenge for an otherwise simple game.
I can only imagine...

I had trouble beating 2-S a few hours ago. Getting 30 stars in that level is tough. First gotta find them, and when you do, you have to execute. I already know getting 100% on the special levels will be a huge accomplishment.

Anyone not playing this game like this is really missing out and has no right to say this is an easy game.

Lijik

Got to 5-S. Its the first level where getting to the end is a challenge and its a huge fucking challenge. Its the complete opposite to the other stages, the collectibles are the easy part!

After the initial bounce, holding the jump button keeps racking up the bounce-jumps which makes things a little easier

Was there ever any reason stated why the baby Yoshi voices became the standard voice?
I don't think so, at least I never heard anything about it.

Totaka did Yoshi voices for his Yoshi Story score and it just stuck. Most likely because they used those same voice samples for Yoshi in Super Smash Bros., which kinda made it permanent.

bart64

Banned
This game sneaks up on you. The blurry low-contrast artwork doesn't compare well to the original. The levels are short and lack impact--it's a mix of all the old tricks with a side of big eggs.

The genius of this game is that it's by far the best in the series from start to completion. Best balance, best learning curve, and a focus on the essence of the game that makes the original seem like a self-indulgent overly-ambitious mess.

The original game had lavish long levels which broke the collection mechanic. The DS one made it worse with even longer and more convoluted levels. This game shows that it was not the rich graphics and variety that made the original great. It was the clever collection gameplay, which promotes skill and exploration equally, and it's handled here with more care and expertise.

The original game used charm to put players through hell, this one doesn't need to try that hard because it's a fair and even challange from beginning to end.

Zing

Banned
Pictures of my perfect title Star screens for my various Yoshi games:
Cool idea. Here is mine on my previous Sony CRT. I played through this a couple years ago. I don't recall actually finishing the game back in the 90s. I certainly didn't 100% it.

5806097330_e0cf7fa1e6_z.jpg

I own the DS game, but have yet to play it. It will have to wait. I have 100% almost everything up to 5-4 in New Island. I got sidetracked by Fire Emblem, but I still keep Yoshi in the extra cart pocket of my carrying case.

steveovig

This game sneaks up on you. The blurry low-contrast artwork doesn't compare well to the original. The levels are short and lack impact--it's a mix of all the old tricks with a side of big eggs.

The genius of this game is that it's by far the best in the series from start to completion. Best balance, best learning curve, and a focus on the essence of the game that makes the original seem like a self-indulgent overly-ambitious mess.

The original game had lavish long levels which broke the collection mechanic. The DS one made it worse with even longer and more convoluted levels. This game shows that it was not the rich graphics and variety that made the original great. It was the clever collection gameplay, which promotes skill and exploration equally, and it's handled here with more care and expertise.

The original game used charm to put players through hell, this one doesn't need to try that hard because it's a fair and even challange from beginning to end.

One of the best posts ever. Go post your explanation of the game on other boards and Miiverse and convert the masses!

Videoneon

Besides the variety of bullshit hidden collectibles (Rocks hiding collectibles in a jackhammer section when the previous jackhammer section didn't? kill all six red bandits to get a flower AND collect the red coins? generally having to play detective all over the place to discover hidden clouds?) Every so often flowers or some such are hidden in completely unintuitive places.

And there are the things that are liable to screw up first-time perfect runs. Like the second time you do the large chain chomp escape, except the first time you did it you didn't have to use eggs to obtain collectibles.

I mean, it's not a bad game, but it's not great and hard to recommend. I really miss the minigames (not the gyro transformation ones, but the Bandit VS minigames, the ones you find within stages.) they could've replaced the items with 1ups or something.

I can only imagine...

I had trouble beating 2-S a few hours ago. Getting 30 stars in that level is tough. First gotta find them, and when you do, you have to execute. I already know getting 100% on the special levels will be a huge accomplishment.

Anyone not playing this game like this is really missing out and has no right to say this is an easy game.

Surprisingly 2-S gave me of trouble too. It takes lots of experimentation and efficiency. I wasn't going to settle for anything other than a perfect run, so it took a LOT of time.

4-S on the other hand I don't remember having that much trouble with. Poochy sucks but whatever. Once you learn to manipulate him it's not that bad. If you freeze up in the middle of those spinning spike sections, then yeah you're fucked, as backtracking is way too hard if not impossible to pull off.

5-S on the other hand was a pain in the ass. Just another reason why you shouldn't play this with the Circle Pad. Oddly enough the bullet bill hell section at the top was the easiest for me to pull off.

6-S is not as bad as those. it's short. there's just this one flower that's well-hidden. As always it requires a lot of practice.

Mothman91

I've never played this game, and am thinking of getting it during the target b2g1 deal this week. Someone persuade me of getting this.

Drago

I've never played this game, and am thinking of getting it during the target b2g1 deal this week. Someone persuade me of getting this.
Have you ever played a Yoshi's Island game before? If you haven't, do you enjoy a slower paced 2D platformer with a focus on exploration, looking for all the secrets a level will hold?

It's a pretty great game, a bit easy even when aiming for 100% but I am having a lot of fun with it nonetheless. If you're looking for a good 2D plat on the system
and haven't already played Donkey Kong Returns
then it's hard to go wrong with this, in my opinion.

Mothman91

Have you ever played a Yoshi's Island game before? If you haven't, do you enjoy a slower paced 2D platformer with a focus on exploration, looking for all the secrets a level will hold?

It's a pretty great game, a bit easy even when aiming for 100% but I am having a lot of fun with it nonetheless. If you're looking for a good 2D plat on the system
and haven't already played Donkey Kong Returns
then it's hard to go wrong with this, in my opinion.
Haha, the only platformers I got is smb 3d land and that was awesome. So I'm guessing this and donkey kong would be good? How about a 3rd general game for the 3ds? Already have fire emblem, Zelda lbw, bravery default.

Drago

Haha, the only platformers I got is smb 3d land and that was awesome. So I'm guessing this and donkey kong would be good? How about a 3rd general game for the 3ds? Already have fire emblem, Zelda lbw, bravery default.
Yeah if you never played Donkey Kong on Wii, you are in for a real treat. It's a masterful platformer and IMO it has the best 3D effect on the system.

Third game, hm. I'd recommend Kid Icarus, as that is my favorite game on the system (and probably one of my favorite games ever made really), and it's a very different game compared to everything else you own, but you may very well end up having troubles with the controls, especially if you're a lefty, so it's hard to recommend. Animal Crossing is a great game too.

bart64

Banned
One of the best posts ever. Go post your explanation of the game on other boards and Miiverse and convert the masses!
Haha, actually all the kids on Miiverse are loving this game. Just us old opinionated a-holes that need a push. We expect miracles with every game and can't recognize a good effort for what it is.

Just got to the World 3 boss battle, I liked the
giant crab
battle better than the first three, not quite as simple as the first and less time consuming than the second.

maxcriden

Just got to the World 3 boss battle, I liked the
giant crab
battle better than the first three, not quite as simple as the first and less time consuming than the second.

Some of the bosses in the game were pretty fun and creative, especially the midworld fort boss fights with Kamek.

Possibly off-topic, but I find it very strange that the Wii can run Yoshi's Island SNES version using emulators through homebrew channel, but yet they insist on releasing the GBA version for the Wii U VC.

I need +10 / +20 stars so bad haha, I can't 100% levels without it

I'm on world 6 and I've been having fun , much better then DS but of course not as good as snss

love dat Yoshi

that sound when you go Underground drives me nuts, like wub wub

Lijik

Done with credit associations. Found 10 people worked on FlingSmash, and 12 on Blue Dragon. Wow.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=104307426&postcount=305

Great job! On the nintendo end, I noticed two things.
One, Totaka is credited as a sound supervisor which explains why his song shows up
And two, the level design supervisor from the original game on YNI is Kenta Usui. Yasuhisa Yamamura filled the same role in Yoshis Island DS, and I wonder if thats why the DS game expanded on the more sprawling stages while YNI is more focused and Mario esque in its layouts. It definitely felt like the original game had a more healthy mix while the sequels go off to far ends of the spectrum and mostly stay there. Theres no way of knowing which level designer did what level in Yoshis Island, but based on how the sequels were handled I would guess Yamamura was the driving force between the original's more open levels and vice versa.

Both of them are also on the level design them for the Wii U NSMB games.

Glad people like my work, research is a past time of mine. :)

I also got to try it out at a Best Buy today in the demo station, it plays exactly like YI, I was really surprised how it got the smallest of details in the gameplay, only couple of things...

One is that it seems they took out the ability to catch ricocheting eggs as they change color, I wasn't able to catch a yellow or red egg after they bounced on a wall, and second, the animations delay the reactions, such as ducking and going into egg-aim mode, they added too many frames to make it as snappy of a motion like the original, where it was literally like one frame and you're done in YI.

Zing

Banned
The aiming animation is another reason why gyro mode seems best. You can "aim" physically and press the button quickly to throw. The animation can be skipped by pressing the button, but this is not viable if you are using classic aiming, since you can't aim without waiting for the reticle to move.

Top Bottom