• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games That Shattered Your Expectations (aka surprise hits)

Begaria

Darksiders II.

An amazing experience.

You all need to play it.

I did, and honestly, it wasn't as good as the first one. It's a decent game, but it didn't have the same kind of "punch" the first one gave me.

Actually, I came in here to post about Darksiders 1. It came out to relative little fanfare, I picked it up on a whim on release day because I thought it looked kind of cool and the previews called it "Zelda like but grimmer". It's a solid action adventure game and well worth the platinum I got out of it.

Just a few honorable mentions from across several generations: Dead Space, Brave Fencer Musashi, Dark Cloud 2, Dust: An Elysian Tail, Bastion, among countless others.

SuperMarioRPGSNESCoverArtUS.jpg

Having played zelda, I had absolutely 0 expectations about this game, wrongfully assuming it'd just may be a re-hased (generic) rpg title... maybe zelda-influenced with recolored sprites.... boy was i wrong.

Wozman23

Sounds Shapes - Missed the marketing for it, but decided to buy when it went on sale after watching a video for one level. I was dumbfounded and it quickly became one of my favorite downloadable titles.

Dead Space - Hesitant on new IP and not a big fan of Survival/Horror games. Loved the weapons, enemy types, and atmosphere.

Alan Wake - Don't own an Xbox, but though it looked interesting. Bought in Humble deal for $2 but couldn't play it until a few months ago. Loved the darkness and light mechanics of the flashlight, flashbangs, etc. Also really loved the rock songs from Poets of the Fall.

Enslaved - Liked Ninja Theory, but it made me love Ninja Theory. Was intrigued by the art direction, but ended up loving the characters and story, especially the comic relief of Pigsy and his DLC.

Snapshot - Got it in one of my first Humble Bundles. Was impressed by the mechanics and production value.

Dust: An Elysian Tail - Another Humble Bundle/Don't own an Xbox standout.

Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom - A charming B-tier game.

3bdelilah

Banned
Darksiders - Got it very cheap so I didn't expect shit from it. Especially since it "lend a lot of elements from other games". Turned out to be a gem for me, I liked DSII even more, despite Death and his story paled a little compared to DS1 and War.

There have been other games that rocked my head, but this one surprised me the most relatively speaking.

KOTOR, Lost Odyssey, Phantom Dust, Perfect Dark, and Fallout 3.

I walked into all of them simply expecting "decent enough" games and I walked out thinking they're some of the greatest games of their generation. PDark is one I figured would be good but it ended up being great. I played that game forever on N64 and I still play it a ton on 360 when I visit my brother.

It may be stupid because I'm not in the loop, but I'd totally say Minecraft.

I was in that beta for a while, and it was fairly "underground". I had no idea this would hit the ground rocket propelled.

yoshiunity

Well... since the OP already mention one of my favorite Visual novels of all time -- and some other members on here already mention other games that blew my mind like Xenoblade, FarCry 3, Spec Ops: the line, Catherine and a few others. Let me bring these two up.

box-l.jpg

When I first heard of Ace Attorney, I immediately chose to ignore it because the concept sound really boring to me. "A lawyer? Really?", I said. "What so good about a game you read most of the time?", I said! Being a gamer that grew up on games that went with a more action-oriented pace, the visual novel titles only seem like you're playing for an expensive electronic book, instead of a game... Or so I thought.

I found people constantly telling me how fun and deep this game was, and the premise of it. And I'll admit, the more I heard, the more it enticed me. It was then that I decided to bite the bullet and actually play the first Ace Attorney. Not only did this game prove me wrong about visual novels, it completely shut my bias up against them and actually help make the genre one of my favorites in video games today.

Ace Attorney was nothing like I ever played before at the time. It had simplistic gameplay mechanics that prove challenging simply by how much you are actually paying attention to the investigations and cases. And to top it off, the story and characters of this series are possibly some of the BEST I've EVER experience in a game. I literally make it high-priority to buy each one that's localized. knowing that I'll have a good time.

fft22_mf84170.Jpeg

Now, even though the Ace Attorney games brought me into the visual novel genre. I was still a little hesitant about playing the Professor Layton games because of the puzzles being actual academic-style puzzles. Again, my friends told me how intriguing the series was for the art-style, music, characters and story. The puzzles will frustrate here and there, but there was always a solution available with hints and the option to back out of them.

So I gave it a shot, and it amazed me quite a bit. I'll admit that the first title had the largest focus on puzzles, and at times they felt like they got in the way of the story, but I still came through it satisfied. And with each entry afterward, it felt like they found a much better balance between the stories and the puzzles.

aro52

Borderlands.
All the RPG elements turned me off initially, but after PS+ gave me a free* copy, I fell HARD for it. Finished it and promptly picked up (and Platinumed) Borderlands 2.

Mass Effect 2 & 3.
Again, the RPG elements turned me off initially, but ended up with a copy of Mass Effect 2 for some reason and played through it and ME3 back to back in an amazing 3 week period.

I think both of those games opened me up to RPG's and RPG elements in games. My gateway drugs!

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

At the time I hadn't played an SH game yet, so I didn't really know what to expect, plus reviews were somewhat mixed.

It ended up being in my top 3 games of last gen and possibly my favourite story in a videogame!
I was going to post exactly the same as this. This game blew my mind so hard I couldn't stop thinking about it for several days after finishing it, and I wasn't even sure I'd like it when I first started it.

Another one is Super Paper Mario. When I grabbed it my Wii was less than 3 months old and I didn't have anything else to play, so I resigned myself to an hour of boredom before shelving it forever (I had tried the first PM several years before for 20 minutes or so and didn't like it at all). I was instantly hooked, and it not only turned out to be my favorite Wii game, but it also made me play (and love) the previous games, and now I consider Paper Mario to be the best Nintendo franchise.

Then there's Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, which I had read on some site that it was fun. I wasn't really expecting anything good from a lawyer visual novel, but I was bored so I decided to try the WiiWare version because why not. You can imagine my surprise when I realized I was enjoying it a lot, and that I really wanted to know what was going to happen to the different characters, and how the cases were going to end. Once I finished the game (and the DLC, which is the 5th case in the DS version) I proceeded to buy the other two entries in the original Phoenix Wright trilogy, and once I got a 3DS I imported the DS ones (except for AAI2; I can't read Japanese). I also bought AA5, but I haven't played it yet because I'm waiting for AAxPL first.

There are also games that were praised a lot, either here or in other sites, such as Batman: Arkham Asylum, Deus Ex and Dust: An Elysian Tail, but which I wasn't sure I would enjoy. Turns out I did, quite a lot, with Deus Ex quickly becoming one of my favorite games ever.

psCvHium.jpg

Came into it expecting typical shovelware garbage the franchise was known for. Came away with one of the best gaming experiences of the generation.
Can't see the pic at work, but I'm willing to bet this month's salary that it's Spec Ops :p

Mortal Kombat 9

The previous games, even the lauded classics 2 and UMK3 never clicked with me, despite the fact that i liked the characters designs.

The new game became my goty, favorite fighting game to that point, and created my fandom for the studio, which Injustice further cemented.

War for Cybertron. Every Transformers game that's ever been released has been pretty crappy, so I was surprised when War for Cybertron came out and delivered a really great Transformers experience. The art aesthetic was really reminiscent of G1 and you got to interact with all the main G1 characters. It felt like this grand love letter to the old cartoon which I appreciated. The game played well, even without a cover system, and the developers put in some really epic boss battles that were both visual spectacles and challenging from a gameplay perspective. To top it all off, it shipped with 3 player campaign co-op, a horde mode, and a fun competitive multiplayer mode that reminded me of Quake/Unreal Tournament.

Another one is Act of War. Never heard of Eugen Systems before so I had no idea what these guys were capable of. Lo and behold, they released this amazing RTS that blew away all my expectations. Act of War was basically a Command & Conquer clone that outdid modern Command & Conquer games when it came out. The graphics were fantastic and the unit actions felt responsive, but the refinements were what really impressed me. You could capture prisoners on the battlefield and hold them for additional income. There were great looking exosuits that could switch firing modes between anti infantry and anti armor. And the game actually included realistic jet aircraft that flew over the battlefield on bombing runs and had to return to base to rearm and refuel, instead of the arcadey aircraft from other RTSs that simply hovered perpetually over the battlefield like helicopters.

The scope of Act of War was also fantastic, because while it was large enough to accommodate large armies of tanks or squadrons of Apache helicopters steamrolling over the opposition, you could also engage in small unit actions like taking over buildings with squads of Delta Force operatives or Marines. They would actually engage in realistic firefights with terrorists holed up in the building, and you could increase their lethality with 40mm grenade launchers. Or, simply snipe the terrorists from long distance with your designated snipers, hiding in dense brush as concealment cover. Vehicles like tanks were realistically depicted with armor that was impervious to traditional small arms, so you'd need to invest in specific counter units like anti-tank infantry armed with Javelins or Kornets. No more unrealistic occurrences like in Starcraft where some marines could simply shoot a siege tank to death.

The pseudo realistic Tom Clancy-esque plotlines of Command and Conquer were also executed faithfully in Act of War, with FMVs playing before and after every mission. It was kinda like watching a season of 24, with all the over the top conspiracies and twists that you'd expect. All in all, Act of War took the basic Command and Conquer formula that we'd all grown to love, and then just dialed it up to 11. It outC&Cs C&C in pretty much every element I can think of.

PensOwl

Banned
Ghost Trick!

I was never into VNs or anything of the sort (AA, VLR, etc), but man when I fired up this game...

The animation, characters, and pacing just blew me away, and it opened up a whole genre of games. The puzzles were inventive, if very much trial and error, but still managed to satisfy.
I was very late to the party on this one, so I couldn't ride whatever hype wave it had on it's release, but I picked it up after hearing good things from GAF and it's been one of my favorite games since

Faltimar

Portal. Never expected that I would love the game so much. It wasnt even the reason I bought The Orange Box...I got it for TF2 I think.

Metal Gear Solid on the PSX
- The story, the characters, the gameplay, the music, the sound effects. You name it... everything was blowing my mind! And the fact that it broke the 4th wall back then put it over the top for me! I almost quit gaming after being a Nintendo exclusive until my friend forced me to play MGS on his PSX.

Skies of Arcadia in the Dreamcast
- The story and the characters really made this an amazing experience. I thought I totally hated RPGs until I played Skies of Arcadia. Really wish a new one would be made.

Of the games I had no expectations on:

Sonic & Allstars Racing: Transformed

A genuinely good racing game, where the nostalgia factor was great bonus, and not the whole point of the game.

Of the games that I did have expectations on

Psychonauts - Such great writing, such great art, such great backstories for each level, and a fantastic combination between adventure games, action and platforming. It's not perfect in any way in terms of gameplay, but the sum of the parts makes it underrated in that aspect. This game surpassed all expectations I had, with a great margin.

doofy102

Super Mario Galaxy. Played it for the first time last October, instantly realised I'd been missing out by being a PS3-only man last gen. Stuff like Ratchet and Clank (which was my fav platforming series for a long time) seems uninspired now.

260px-MMLegendsBox.jpg

I got into this having Megaman X5 as my favorite game. I put this in with no knowledge or expectation and had the best summer of my life.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

My nine to ten year old self, looking at this game on the shelf at the local rental store: "This game looks dumb. Who would play this?"

During/after playing Final Fantasy VII, I had this book, which I would read before bed:

mY1HweTaz6GbBdsJpCKbjXw.jpg

I started reading about these other games. Wild Arms sounded pretty cool. Suikoden, hey, I'd seen that before. There's a guy named Ted? Who names a video game character Ted? Still, the story sounded interesting. Maybe I'd give it a shot...

I was blown away. One of my favorite games, to this day. Thank you, weirdly conglomerate guidebook, for opening my eyes. I was blind, and now I see!

Brace yourselves for a controversial one:

Too_Human.jpg

I was two months late to the party and most of the gaming media already panned this game. But since some friends used to play it, friends whose keen sense for gameplay didn't disappoint in 25 years, I had to jump in. Yeah, single player could be more fun, but holy shit @ multiplayer! What a challenging but rewarding experience, especially with people who know what they're doing. And on a less serious note: A game with the character class "Bio Engineer" must be good! ;) This and the Berserker class are my favourites.
Damn, I think I gotta install this game again...

Fevaweva

Asura's Wrath. I was expecting something crazy after watching the Giant Bomb quicklook. But man, I was not prepared for what happened in that game

Binary Domain aswell.

Top Bottom